• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Nevermind, it's top 3 protected for next year, then top 2 for the next two years, then top 1 for the last two. I was hoping the Raptors could make a jump in the lottery, but it looks like we just have to hope they're terrible :(

ughhhhhh

btw are you ready for Brooks ball again? This is his ideal team now where he can shoot all day and dribble around without anyone backing him up.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I was going to say Houston & Toronto are having terrible off seasons thus far, until I read the deal about Lowry. Now Houston is the lone loser. What's Morey doing? Who's going to play PG? Royce?

How is Houston the loser in the deal? They finally chose to rebuild and will be getting a pretty sweet pick in the process.

What exactly is Toronto trying to do?

parasight

How is Houston the loser in the deal? They finally chose to rebuild and will be getting a pretty sweet pick in the process.

Houston gave up a great young PG on a bargain contract, for a future Lottery pick (crapshoot really). Toronto finally has a PG who can make plays AND defend (Coach Casey will love Lowry). They're probably going to make another move involving Calderon/Ed Davis/DeMar for a starting SF. Toronto trying to remain competitive in what's becoming a very tough division.

thekad

Banned
Alex Kennedy doesn't really have sources. If we're really tanking, I think it's Lin or bust.

Although Brooks was pretty good at losing us games last year.

How is he wrong? Divac was a damned good center. Kobe was an unproven, shit talking hype beast with an asshole agent. Teams that didn't have to fill a need through the draft and that were in position to compete at a playoff level make that trade all day.

Maybe in hindsight. At the time, no. A ton of people thought West was crazy. Lakers didn't have Shaq locked up, either.

It's easy now to say anyone would have done it. At the time, it was a different story. I remember it quite well.

squicken

Yeah tank mode is on. Not overpaying for an easy to fill position was actually smart. He just swung and missed badly at all those trades he was going for pre-draft, which makes his seeming "failures" to sign Lin and Dragic look bad when they really aren't

Brinbe

imagine if this trade ends up with them stealing wiggins from us? *DEAD*

Ugh, it's a definite worry. I know we expect to perpetually be bad, but not that bad... Yet, fuck, I can't help but think back to the Leafs losing out on a 2nd overall pick in the Kessel deal.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Maybe in hindsight. At the time, no. A ton of people thought West was crazy. Lakers didn't have Shaq locked up, either.

It's easy now to say anyone would have done it. At the time, it was a different story. I remember it quite well.

If you're talking about the Lakers side, then yeah

I love how Glen Grunwald has been saved from himself by other GMs. They would've had to pay paid Fields if Toronto hadn't derped, and they would've gutted their roster for Nash if Lakers hadn't acquired him.

And if that TD for Felton S&T deal has legs, I ain't hating.

thekad

Banned
Teams better than the Raptors in the East: Miami, Orlando, New Jersey, Boston, Atlanta, Chicago, Philly, Indiana, Milwaukee possibly.

Flash

Houston had two good young PGs at the end of the season and now have nothing. Who would've thought?

This trade is risky from both ends... Three possible scenarios:
- If Raptors have a terrible season and everything falls apart, Rockets will get a very high pick and wins the trade by a landslide. Possible.
- If Raptors do mediocre, Rockets will get a pick in the 14-10 range. This is a pretty fair deal but will probably be in favour of Toronto. Most likely scenario.
- If Raptors make the playoffs for the next 5 or whatever years, Rockets get nothing. Least likely.

From the RealGM forums, someone posted this:

Raptors 1-3 and 15-30, Rockets 4-14

2014 and 2015
Raptors 1-2 and 15-30, Rockets 3-14

2016 and 2017
Raptors 1 and 15-30, Rockets 2-14

Raptors 1-30, Rockets get nothing, deal has ended.

DY_nasty

I love how Glen Grunwald has been saved from himself by other GMs. They would've had to pay paid Fields if Toronto hadn't derped, and they would've gutted their roster for Nash if Lakers hadn't acquired him.

Felton in a Woodson offense is probably the last thing anyone needs to see
Teams better than the Raptors in the East: Miami, Orlando, New Jersey, Boston, Atlanta, Chicago, Philly, Indiana, Milwaukee possibly.
Charlotte is master and commander of this tanking shiiiii

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
So Kahn gets 3 PGs once and hes an idiot forever

Morey gets 64 Forwards and hes a genious thats obviously scheming something because hes BFF with Simmons

Thanks media!

If you're talking about the Lakers side, then yeah

I'm saying most teams wouldn't have traded Divac for Kobe...or maybe any teams unless they had another worthwhile C.

In hindsight, in a heartbeat. At the time? Not a chance. Everything was different back then. HS draftees, especially guards, were not a commodity. There was no internet age or even massive media age. If Kobe came out in 2003, then it's a different story.

Not just Lakers side, pretty much any side at the time. People talk like Kobe was a sure thing. No one saw him that way except West. I hardly even knew who he was when they traded Divac for him.

separate not: So Rockets traded one of the best NBA contracts at PG for what could be the 13th pick. LOL

Flash

Milwaukee, Orlando, and Atlanta are debatable. We still have to see how NJ will mesh and how Chicago responds without Rose an entire (majority?) season.

DY_nasty

So Kahn gets 3 PGs once and hes an idiot forever

Morey gets 64 Forwards and hes a genious thats obviously scheming something because hes BFF with Simmons

Thanks media!

Morey is wizard for making Kahn look decent.
I'm saying most teams wouldn't have traded Divac for Kobe...or maybe any teams unless they had another worthwhile C.

In hindsight, in a heartbeat. At the time? Not a chance. Everything was different back then. HS draftees, especially guards, were not a commodity. There was no internet age or even massive media age. If Kobe came out in 2003, then it's a different story.

Not just Lakers side, pretty much any side at the time. People talk like Kobe was a sure thing. No one saw him that way except West. I hardly even knew who he was when they traded Divac for him.

You're still talking about the Lakers side.

squicken

We remember very different things. The Lakers, as I said, were clever in dumping salary to get Shaq. The only reason you might say it was risky is if you think they didn't know he was coming once he could get a max deal.

The Kobe thing I remember clearly. He would only play in a big market. Teams passed on him b/c they didn't want the headache. But if he was a guy who would have played anywhere, everyone in the league would have given the level of compensation the Lakers gave. Most at the time knew it was a sweet deal for the Lakers. People chaffed at his hubris and wished him ill, but all would have loved him to love them. He became at a huge discount even for the time

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
^He built a great team around Yao and T-Mac and thus an incredible amount of goodwill. Problem is, that seems to be all he's good at. Building around stars; not getting them. But it looks like may finally be learning.

I'll laugh (or cry) if Morey still isn't rebuilding and we go into the season with Scola and KMart starting.

No. Morey is personable and will go on anyone's radio show, give interviews to anyone so the media likes him. Morey keeps his eyes on computer analysis, not looking at the court with his own two eyes. I think he would be a great GM assistant, but he is not a good GM, period. I do understand that the team owner probably had alot to do with T-Mac and Yao being here for as long as they were, but when the entire world knew Yao was going to get hurt his last season, signing Brad Miller as your only insurance policy made no sense at all.

Brinbe

Rumor mill:

Calderon, DeRozan and Ed Davis for Iguodala and Nik.

Not sure if want
Yeah, everyone on our end has figured that Iggy's the target. I'd be fine with it, because fuck if we're getting better at this point.

And uhh, yeah, those guys are totally awesome!

Flash

Rumor mill:

Calderon, DeRozan and Ed Davis for Iguodala and Nik.

Not sure if want

I WANT.

Though I still have high hopes for ed... I think he'll be good with proper development and consistent minutes.

Raptors have done a great job fucking around with his minutes. One game he'd play next to nothing and another he'd play 20-30 minutes. Hell, overall he played LESS minutes/game in his sophmore year than in his rookie year. wtf?

but Derozan has been pretty disappointing...maybe if paired with a guy like Nash he'd excel but currently dude has been pretty one dimensional.

Felton in a Woodson offense is probably the last thing anyone needs to see
Did you see Toney Douglas last year? I've never seen someone lose his soul where it wasn't taken from him by another NBA player.

But I agree, it's been said by alot of beatwriters Knicks have to do someone to adjust the offense, and Woodson met with Lin/Carmelo/Chandler/Amare (before he went overseas) a few weeks ago to iron out his plans/assure Lin of his place on the team. I keep saying it makes sense to get a cheap offensive assistant like Eddie Jordan or even Jay Triano.

Is DeRozan still good?

he can jump high and stuff.

he played pretty well against us...

maybe Bargs was holding him back...

and he was BFFs with Jrue..

rite?

rite?

masud

Banned

Agreed. But I doubt that the Knicks would have payed Landry more than 2-3 mil per. The Nash thing really would hav been a disaster if you think about it. Because they probably wouldn't match Lins offer from Houston. After 3 years we would have ended up with no Nash, no title, and no Shump/Lin.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Alex Kennedy doesn't really have sources. If we're really tanking, I think it's Lin or bust.

Although Brooks was pretty good at losing us games last year.

Suns don't need him and saying they will meet with him doesn't take having many sources. If he says they signed him, I wouldn't believe it. It would take other reporters to convince me. It can easily happen and Rick isn't around anymore.

Brooks is perfect for a crappy tanking team. Lin will stay a Knick.

KingKong

It would be nice if Ray Allen would stay a Celtic. I don't know how much he wants to chase a ring though, but the old core of KG, Pierce, him and Rondo has to mean something to him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom