• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This has to be the most dysfunctional franchise in the NBA, currently.

Its certainly up there. Lots of interesting stuff trickling out now.

Rick Bonnell ‏@rick_bonnell
I'm told Miller played a behind-the-scenes role in Rich Cho joining #Bobcats, after Paul Allen abruptly fired Cho.

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS
Olshey, who had a successful run with the Clippers, was favored by Paul Allen advisor Bert Kolde during interview process, sources say. Once hiring process had been taken out of Miller's hands, it was only a matter of time before he stepped down, sources say.

Imagine what Mike Miller did during the close out game in the Finals. Now imagine Ray Allen doing that nearly every game. If they get Camby they are a lock for another ring. They'll probably have the deepest team in the NBA.

When you use some made up advanced stats matrix, PFs will always score higher than guards. They tend to shoot at a higher percentage, rebound more, block more shots and turn over the ball less.

But then maybe that's why Morey the Wizard keeps stockpiling PFs because according to his magical formulas, PFs are better than guards.

Damn those people believing that defense and unselfishness exists. Dem made up stats matrixs.

And there are a lot of guards who can score efficiently in the NBA. The guy just added to your team might illuminate this fact next season.

linsivvi

Damn those people believing that defense and unselfishness exists. Dem made up stats matrixs.

And there are a lot of guards who can score efficiently in the NBA. The guy just added to your team might illuminate this fact next season.

Except that stats don't tell you the whole picture, especially when you're comparing across positions.

So Nash is a better player than Kobe as well am I right?

Hey is Josh Smith still top 10 in the NBA? If not, since when is he not top 10 any more? I really need to learn how to read those stats. Maybe one day I can be as wise as Morey.

Lol you guys kill me with this shit, carry on.

Hollinger's disciples always make me chuckle.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Except that stats don't tell you the whole picture, especially when you're comparing across positions.

Hey is Josh Smith still top 10 in the NBA? If not, since when is he not top 10 any more? I really need to learn how to read those stats. Maybe one day I can be as wise as Morey.

what are you talking about?

He's entirely right. Kobe's defensive impact doesn't even compare to Garnett's. Also, Kobe gives zero fucks if he shoots his team out of the game.

You're just mad for the sake of being mad.

linsivvi

what are you talking about?

He's entirely right. Kobe's defensive impact doesn't even compare to Garnett's. Also, Kobe gives zero fucks if he shoots his team out of the game.

You're just mad for the sake of being mad.

KG is not a top 10 player in the league any more.

If you want to play that game - We weren't the team loaning out the company jet so that our franchise player could stand trial for rape and get back in time to play.

If you don't - Knicks, Hawks, Hornets, Rockets, Nets, Kings, Warriors

Hey now, Hawks look like they're getting their ish together under Ferry.

And I'm so proud the Raptors aren't on that list. Moral victory.

Obviously scoring is a huge part of basketball but all Laker fans arguments boil down to literally every other aspect of basketball not mattering. Except, of course, when it's applying to guys not on the Lakers. Kobe being one of the worst defenders in the NBA doesn't matter, but Nash being one of the worst defenders in the NBA does matter because Nash didn't play for the Lakers when he won his MVPs.

linsivvi

Obviously scoring is a huge part of basketball but all Laker fans arguments boil down to literally every other aspect of basketball not mattering. Except, of course, when it's applying to guys not on the Lakers. Kobe being one of the worst defenders in the NBA doesn't matter, but Nash being one of the worst defenders in the NBA does matter because Nash didn't play for the Lakers when he won his MVPs.

You haven't answered my questions.

So Nash is a better player than Kobe, right?

Is Josh Smith a top 10 player in the league?

DY_nasty

KG is not a top 10 player in the league any more.
We can talk about that - or we can talk about this BS Kobeism that comes up whenever any argument with a Lakers fan come up.

Its like arguing with kids about how fucking awesome the Black Ranger is

linsivvi

We can talk about that - or we can talk about this BS Kobeism that comes up whenever any argument with a Lakers fan come up.

How is giving the best player on the Celtics maybe one more year than he should have "bitchmade"? If anything, that's rewarding the guy who made the Celtics relevant again. He's a top ten player in the NBA, there's no reason he should be paid less than Batum and far less than Hibbert this year.

He brought Kobe into this. It doesn't matter if he think KG is better than Kobe (he's not), but KG is not top 10 regardless and people have called him out for it.

It's the same crazy shit as calling Josh Smith top 10.

supposedly Jordan Hill made a decision. But hasn't said what it is, nor has anyone reported it.

Stupid Ray Allen. Why must you join the Heat. Argh.

lol @ Kobe being one of the worst defenders in the NBA. Ask Ty Lawson in game 7 about it.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!

He has the mastodon zord, of course he's awesome.

You haven't answered my questions.

So Nash is a better player than Kobe, right?

Is Josh Smith a top 10 player in the league?

I actually do think Nash is better. He's managed to elevate terrible supporting casts to near playoff berths in the last two years and has run a lot of the greatest offenses of all time in Phoenix. His defense is terrible, but Kobe has no lateral quickness anymore and is absurdly lazy on defense so I'm not buying any argument for Kobe over another player using defense. Kobe may be a better fit for playoff basketball at this point but I'm not sure on that and I am pretty sure that Nash is a better regular season player. Kobe plays more minutes, but I think Nash's are more valuable.

I love Josh Smith and think he's one of the best players in the NBA but his jumper is getting worse. He still was the best player on a team that was extremely beat up and still got the 4th seed. I think his supporting cast was worse than Melo's by a decent bit and his team won more games than Melo's.

Darkman M

I actually do think Nash is better. He's managed to elevate terrible supporting casts to near playoff berths. in the last two years and has run most of the greatest offenses of all time in Phoenix. His defense is terrible, but Kobe has no lateral quickness anymore and is absurdly lazy on defense so I'm not buying any argument for Kobe over another player using defense. Kobe may be a better fit for playoff basketball at this point but I'm not sure on that and I am pretty sure that Nash is a better regular season player. Kobe plays more minutes, but I think Nash's are more valuable.

I love Josh Smith and think he's one of the best players in the NBA but his jumper is getting worse. He still was the best player on a team that was extremely beat up and still got the 4th seed. I think his supporting cast was worse than Melo's by a decent bit and his team won more games than Melo's.

So Josh Smith is better then Melo is what your saying? Keep going.

linsivvi

I actually do think Nash is better. He's managed to elevate terrible supporting casts to near playoff berths in the last two years and has run a lot of the greatest offenses of all time in Phoenix. His defense is terrible, but Kobe has no lateral quickness anymore and is absurdly lazy on defense so I'm not buying any argument for Kobe over another player using defense. Kobe may be a better fit for playoff basketball at this point but I'm not sure on that and I am pretty sure that Nash is a better regular season player. Kobe plays more minutes, but I think Nash's are more valuable.

So...Nash better than Kobe and Josh Smith better than Melo? Ok.

DY_nasty

So...Nash better than Kobe and Josh Smith better than Melo? Ok.

Kobe gave up making his teammates better 2 years ago. And he plays slightly better defense than Nash while chucking up 3x the garbage.
That's a no brainer.

Josh Smith on his worst day isn't as bad Knicks Melo.

Your Kobe defense stance is weird. He's not close to what he once was and often lazy, but he's not terrible or close to it.

Lakers had mostly a defensive team for a huge chunk of the year, despite starting Fisher. And Gasol isn't some expert at it. Artest and Bynum led the D, but Kobe was a part too. You also underestimate his help defense which is still quite good.

Sinking ship.

You know who would make a perfect yes man for their crazy rich guy owner?

LeBron_IsiahThomas_Knicks.jpg

I'm just saying, he's experienced.

charsace

There's nothing dysfunctional about the Knicks currently. Its just that the team is in NYC so anything that happens will be reported. If the 12th man is sitting next Carmelo during the game and farts, ESPN will report about there being tension between them.

DY_nasty

Your Kobe defense stance is weird. He's not close to what he once was and often lazy, but he's not terrible or close to it.

Lakers had mostly a defensive team for a huge chunk of the year, despite starting Fisher. And Gasol isn't some expert at it. Artest and Bynum led the D, but Kobe was a part too. You also underestimate his help defense which is still quite good.

His help defense is great because he's never guarding the guy he's assigned to...
It's all good. A player better than anyone on the Lakers roster just joined the team.
I don't get it.

DY_nasty

Jeffery has took his toll on you.

Josh Smith taking a stupid long 2 is never going to change the fact that he's one of the best defenders in the league.

Also, he isn't paid specifically to take stupid long 2s and nothing else. Unlike Melo.
Who cares? Nash is better than Kobe, and Nash is a Laker.

So basically, "i ain't arguing shit. fuq yo argumentz. #wealreadywon"

Pimp-West.

His help defense is great because he's never guarding the guy he's assigned to...

Well, they do try to put him on an inept perimeter player so that helps. But he has natural instincts, which a lot of players do not have. And he still does guard.

The Fisher-Bryant-MWP-Pau-Bynum lineup gave up 98pp100 last season. That is extremely low in roughly 500 minutes. And MWP was out of shape and a lot of us was complaining about how his D slipped at the beginning of the year. Unless we're going to say Bynum = Dwight on D (lol) there is more going on, here.

Kobe was still a decent defender, good when he gave a shit. He took plays off because of how much of the offensive load he had to carry and was especially lazy in transition D. I'm not going to argue he was some all-defensive player or anything near that, cuz he wasn't. But to argue he's anywhere near Steve Nash bad is absurd.

Tom Penny

You could argue Josh Smith is better then Melo. If Melo is not scoring he rarely has any other impact on the game. Josh Smith generally rebounds and plays defense every game at least. Too bad Josh Smith gets sucked into KG jumpers all the time.

DY_nasty

That ain't Josh. Knicks were a better team without Melo last year.
Knicks have always been a better team without Melo.

Dude has been exposed as a complete clown player since he's been in NY. The one thing he was supposed to be elite at, scoring, has dissolved into some Charlie V on a hotstreak shit.

linsivvi

So basically, "i ain't arguing shit. fuq yo argumentz. #wealreadywon"

Pimp-West.

Your whole rhetoric was that I disagree with him because Kobe is a Laker.

I think Rondo and Westbrook are better than Nash too. *shrug*

Keep recycling your old LLL jokes.

I mean:

How tired is this?

Darkman M

Melo was pretty bad most of the year last year, and came on strong towards then end. I don't think Melo has a winners mentality or great work ethic, but Josh Smith is not a better basketball player and never will be, this is getting ridiculous. If Melo ever decides to give a shit he has the talent josh smith could never dream of having.

Denver walked away like a bandit in that Anthony trade. Period. They'll be a playoff team for years to come and they're extremely young whereas Carmelo is a financial blackhole on top of being a ballstopper.

Dude has been exposed as a complete clown player since he's been in NY. The one thing he was supposed to be elite at, scoring, has dissolved into some Charlie V on a hotstreak shit.
knicks had a worse record before melo.they made the playoffs because of him.

DY_nasty

how you figure? even injured melo was better...

When Melo isn't going 3-15 or taking 29 shots in a game, what is he doing?

He doesn't help you in anyway. The best the Knicks ever looked last year was when Melo was gone completely. I don't even think the Knicks have a winning record with Carmelo yet. They're supposed to be a super team, but they're the biggest failure at such a thing in a decade. Even the Wizards Big 3 was a better team.

I like where this discussion is going. Can we turn the "Carlie A is holding back Knick superstar Jeremy Lin" meme into a commonly held assumption by the time the season starts?

I'm saying yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom