• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

So you get cap room, and end up signing shit like Roy Hibbert for for 14.5/yr or Anderson for 9.3 or G.Wallace for 10m/yr?

Lopez is better than those guys.

Cap space doesn't guarantee you shit, and Orlando ain't Miami, Brooklyn, NY or LA. Guys aren't flocking there, so better a max Lopez than signing a couple scrubs for the same cash.

Cap space is important so that if you finally get lucky in the lottery you have the flexibility to take on veteran contracts. If you are in cap hell and get lucky in the lottery you just end up with a disgruntled star 4 years later

This is the last off-season you can sign + trade into over the cap teams.

you can still sign + trade to a team under the cap if the player's salary will fit in, but there's no benefit to the player for it. Can't add the extra year or raises. Only benefit is if the team receiving him wants to dump a player in the process.

Which is why when Dwight gets traded, he has no way of getting to teams like LAL, BKN, etc without being traded to them right now.

Thanks for the info. Seems like the best deal then is Bynum for Howard and each team see if the player is willing to leave all that money behind

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This might end up being the most depressing day in Orlando Magic history.

Shabazz Muhammad here we come! I liked his Youtube highlights more than the other guys bandied about around the top of next years class.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Lopez has done what to make you think that contract won't kill your franchise?

Assuming he's healthy, he's one of the best offensive big men in the game.

Defensively he's not great, and he rebounds like a guard.. but his offensive game is great.

Also, good FT shooter and stays out of foul trouble well playing pretty good minutes.

Again, assuming he's healthy he's a good center to have.

In non Nba news I memorized the words to Will Ferrell's "Call me Sexy" from Semi-Pro and sung them to my fiancee. She responded with a look that said "you are the dumbest man I have ever met." Today has been a good day.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

Defensively he's not great, and he rebounds like a guard.. but his offensive game is great.

Also, good FT shooter and stays out of foul trouble well playing pretty good minutes.

let's not go stupid now...

2luc4rm.gif

Where is he a great offensive player? last 2 seasons sub 55% TS% for a big man is atrocious. His best season was just 57%. And like you said, he is a good FT shooter. he hasn't shot above 50% since his rookie year from the field. FOR A CENTER.

LuchaShaq

Banned
So you get cap room, and end up signing shit like Roy Hibbert for for 14.5/yr or Anderson for 9.3 or G.Wallace for 10m/yr?

Lopez is better than those guys.

Cap space doesn't guarantee you shit, and Orlando ain't Miami, Brooklyn, NY or LA. Guys aren't flocking there, so better a max Lopez than signing a couple scrubs for the same cash.

Lopez isn't as good as Ryan Andersen or Hibbert even at the same price let alone the max.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Lets see... Howard never want's to play in Houston (not even for a couple of months last year... fucking douche) and Bynum who always gets ejected and angry when he plays the Rockets... has them on his short list of teams he would sign and play for in 2013 according to sources.

Well then fuck you Howard and try to get the crazy kid Morey. Maybe the Dream can guide Bynum to find some inner peace hah

Lopez is a piss poor defender and mediocre overall offensive player and an bad rebounder for a center.

If you're giving him the max and he's your "best player," your team is fucked for years to come. Orlando taking him for the max will probably set them back badly. I'd honestly rather rent Bynum for 1 season that pay Lopez the max (not being biased here, honestly).

i just don't get why anyone would think paying lopez that much money could be a good thing...or even not bad. He has shown nothing to warrant that kind of money. A guy like Hibbert is overpaid at the max, but he won't kill your team.

Lopez is a piss poor defender and mediocre overall offensive player and an bad rebounder for a center.

If you're giving him the max and he's your "best player," your team is fucked for years to come. Orlando taking him for the max will probably set them back badly. I'd honestly rather rent Bynum for 1 season that pay Lopez the max (not being biased here, honestly).

i just don't get why anyone would think paying lopez that much money could be a good thing...or even not bad. He has shown nothing to warrant that kind of money. A guy like Hibbert is overpaid at the max, but he won't kill your team.

Lopez was going to be paid next summer anyway. Might as well be for my team #gmshrugg

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
It's also disgusting to think that after this is all said and done... dbag Dwight will most likely get what he wants.

Matrix

If that goes down Stern should step in just to show that hes not biased. But since the Nets are opening a new stadium, he won't.

For basketball reasons the trade of Howard to the Nets for garbage must happen.

Somebody fill me in

How the hell do the Nets have room for Howard with Deron, IsoJoe, and Crash on the roster?

I know Deron and Crash maybe had bird rights or something...but wtf is going on

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Marshon S. Brooks ‏@Marshon2
What's good downtown orlando? I need a good restaurant...

Better to get adjusted to your new city as soon as possible I suppose.

hes actually just here for summer league

Somebody fill me in

How the hell do the Nets have room for Howard with Deron, IsoJoe, and Crash on the roster?

As long as the salaries work via rules, it doesn't matter how much he costs. Assuming they don't use the Non-tax payer MLE.

giri

Somebody fill me in

They aren't hard capped. The euro guy they got took the tax payer MLE

so... as long as they can match salaries (by over paying humphries/lopez who they have rights on) they can do the trade.

oops, used the wrong MLE in my original post.

bjb

Banned
This is truly a golden age of Laker fan delusion right now. Listening to their sports radio stations this past week has been absolute gold.

On one hand, you have so much hope and promise for a team that is old, slow and soft. Destined to collapse in the playoffs yet again.

Alternatively the Dwight-stroking that has gone on for years continues. I almost die listening to some of these mouth-breathers who constantly salivate over acquiring Howard. Thinking it will actually happen.

squicken

Obviously a simplification.
The Nets give up Humphries who they don't want back anyway and some picks they'll never need after getting Dwight, so the "cost" is Lopez? Nice for the Nets

They aren't hard capped. The euro guy they got took the tax payer MLE

so... as long as they can match salaries (by over paying humphries/lopez who they have rights on) they can do the trade.

oops, used the wrong MLE in my original post.

That....god damn.

If they pull this off I want to call Billy King a genius but when you trade for Joe Johnson you lose any immunity for life.

giri

That....god damn.

If they pull this off I want to call Billy King a genius but when you trade for Joe Johnson you lose any immunity for life.

IF he pulls off the dwight deal... then... it forgives. A lot.
especially if it can get JJ excited about winning bball again. And not just running around at a fitness camp.

KingJ2002

Obviously a simplification.
The Nets give up Humphries who they don't want back anyway and some picks they'll never need after getting Dwight, so the "cost" is Lopez? Nice for the Nets

The Best deal for the Magic is to trade for Bynum... they still have a dominant center and both teams will retain the bird rights for each player so if they walk next year... they leave a lot of money on the table to go to places without a championship situation.

If the Magic deal with the Nets... the only winner would be the Nets as they will become title contenders with Dwight, D-Will, Joe, and Wallace starting

The Cavs get a decent rebounder at the 4 for a future pick that could be a lot better... and the magic get to go into the lottery for the next couple of seasons and lose money on ticket sales because no one cares about Lopez coming to Orlando.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
KBergCBS
Brandon Rush could be an option for Portland or Minnesota, whichever team loses out on Nicolas Batum, source said.

This is one of those situations where the loser is actually the winner. Batum ain't worth anything near what hes getting paid. Rush will be a steal.

LuchaShaq

Banned
That....god damn.

Wasting the sixth pick on Gerald Wallace and then over paying him is worse.

They could have used the sixth pick and then still gotten Gerald for that insane contract since noone else was going to even offer 80% of that for that many years.

giri

KBergCBS
Brandon Rush could be an option for Portland or Minnesota, whichever team loses out on Nicolas Batum, source said.

This is one of those situations where the loser is actually the winner. Batum ain't worth anything near what hes getting paid. Rush will be a steal.

That, i agree with.

What is Batum's contract up to now?

TBH, he's probably worth 10M per... but much more.... i dunno.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
KBergCBS

As a Blazer fan, I agree. Batum's huge tendency to "disappear" for entire games is frustrating.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Eric Pincus
There are clear paths with Howard to Nets or Lakers, even if they seem muddled now. It's likely going to come down to the Magic deciding between the two. Howard has pushed to Brooklyn and they're still the favorite. Nets have had a third team lined up for more than the last 24 hours - that's not new - it's still no deal yet for a variety of reasons. The Magic may not be in love with getting either Lopez or Bynum for big contracts. Makes some more sense to rebuild w/picks/prospects.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Eric Pincus

I get the feeling nothing is happening soon.

Max Lopez or 1 year rental for Bynum in a tankmode season? It feels like hes trying to get the Rockets or some other team to step up an offer under the pretense that they're going to miss out if they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom