• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The fact that you want to trade the 2nd "greatest" center in the NBA is funny...

just last year Laker fans were saying he is the difference maker.. and now you have a PG that could fool the world into think he is a max contract center...

The fact that you want to trade the 2nd "greatest" center in the NBA is funny...

just last year Laker fans were saying he is the difference maker.. and now you have a PG that could fool the world into think he is a max contract center...

I only want to trade him for Howard and nothing else. We all agree Howard is much better.

Blackace

I only want to trade him for Howard and nothing else. We all agree Howard is much better.

Yeah.. but for all the bitching about the Heat and super teams... it seems that trying to get a bench would actually make the Lakers much better than just adding Howard..

Talon

Atlanta must not think they can resign Dwight for sure. That's the only reason I would think.

On one hand, you have a guy whose ceiling is likely 15/10 (although his usage rate was artificially low due to Joe carrying the load, and his efficiency would seem to imply that he can score a lot more than he has), but his contract is affordable and under team control for another 3 years. Not to mention he's the hardest worker on the team, and he's completely unselfish. Not too many of those in the league, even with him playing out of position at the 5.

All things being equal, Ferry should be much happier to move Josh for Dwight, but that's not likely.

Yeah.. but for all the bitching about the Heat and super teams... it seems that trying to get a bench would actually make the Lakers much better than just adding Howard..

I am not bitching about "super teams."

Bynum for Howard is an upgrade. All upgrades are welcome. They don't have much room to improve the bench and benches don't matter much, Miami just proved this.

SamuraiX-

TBH, if I'm Atlanta, I'd offer Horford, picks, whatever to get D12. I think it would be worth the gamble given the new system next year. And Cp3 thing is legit.

But if they won't offer Horford, then they're being dumb. gotta take chances.

Take chances for what?

A single season of a disgruntled Dwight Coward rental to play with Josh Smith and Jeff Teague?

Atlanta just got rid of their worst contract in franchise history. They shouldn't be taking stupid gambles on anything right now but rather make moves where the least amount of risk is factored in.

Take chances for what?

A single season of a disgruntled Dwight Coward rental to play with Josh Smith and Jeff Teague?

And leave for what team? And maybe CP3 goes there after.

The rules change next year. He can't go to any team over the cap or any team without nearly $20 mil in cap room.

Blackace

I am not bitching about "super teams."

Bynum for Howard is an upgrade. All upgrades are welcome. They don't have much room to improve the bench and benches don't matter much, Miami just proved this.

Actually they do matter a lot..

Without Shane stepping up throughout the entire playoffs I don't think the heat make the finals..

If they had a good 6th man who could provide them with spark every game they would be near unstaoppable..

Lakers don't have room to improve on the bench? lol Both of your stars are pushing 40.. and the most people couldn't name a player from the sorry group you call a 2nd unit..

Branduil

Take chances for what?

Atlanta just got rid of their worst contract in franchise history. They shouldn't be taking stupid gambles on anything right now but rather make moves where the least amount of risk is factored in.

One season of Dwight is worth Atlanta's next ten seasons without him.

Without Shane stepping up throughout the entire playoffs I don't think the heat make the finals..

If they had a good 6th man who could provide them with spark every game they would be near unstaoppable..

Lakers don't have room to improve on the bench? lol Both of your stars are pushing 40.. and the most people couldn't name a player from the sorry group you call a 2nd unit..

Shane stepped up for like 5 games total. And he started, wasn't a bench player. Your need 1 good bench player, 1 passable. Rest are irrelevant. Top 6 decides titles. Miami basically won with 6 players. Cole, Anthony, etc did jack shit.

And FWIW, I don't care if you're on the bench or not, I define starters by minutes played. Odom, Manu, harden were not actual bench players.

And only Nash is pushing 40. Kobe isn't pushing 40, he's not even halfway there in the 30s. I would love to improve the bench. Tell me how they can.

edit: by room, I mean able to improve it. Mini MLE and no trading assets.

Nelo Ice

Banned
This is too logical and rational for Lakers fans.

It's not like we're going to get any good bench players with our money situation as it is. So rather than worry about that why not go all in and get Dwight? Either way our bench isn't going to be great so may as well try to make a beast mode starting lineup then see if that can convince anyone to come to us for cheap.

h3ro

lm about to jump the nets bandwagon.

E1qmD.jpg

Blackace

Shane stepped up for like 5 games total. And he started, wasn't a bench player. Your need 1 good bench player, 1 passable. Rest are irrelevant. Top 6 decides titles. Miami basically won with 6 players. Cole, Anthony, etc did jack shit.

And FWIW, I don't care if you're on the bench or not, I define starters by minutes played. Odom, Manu, harden were not actual bench players.

And only Nash is pushing 40. Kobe isn't pushing 40, he's not even halfway there in the 30s.

reagrdless his body is pushing 40 from all the miles..

Most playoff rosters are about 7 deep..

you don't have anyone to give you Manu/Harden mins..

Honestly I just don't like Bynum.

You are not alone.

Parking in handicap parking spots.
Underestimating a playoff opponent.
At times disrepectful to other players and team coaches.
Inconsistent on the defensive side of the ball.
Poor at passing out of a double/triple team.

Those are reasons why I too just don't like him. He has talent, but he's not what I want as the center on my team for the next 5 years.

Darkman M

Howard is alot better then Bynum, it's a bigger upgrade then you might think. Of course any logical Laker fan would want a Bynum/Howard swap, you cant be serious.

Nash can pretty easily anchor the bench unit for the Lakers by checking out early in the first and then playing in the late first and early second and it would work fine. You don't need to label players as bench players or starters since those are kind of arbitrary sometimes.

Blackace

Howard is alot better then Bynum, it's a bigger upgrade then you might think. Of course any logical Laker fan would want a Bynum/Howard swap, you cant be serious.

Of course you want a player like Howard on the team.. It's really silly how quickly fans turn on AB for not wanting to go from the Lakers to the hot mess that the Magic are..

You are not alone.

Parking in handicap parking spots.
Underestimating a playoff opponent.
At times disrepectful to other players and team coaches.
Inconsistent on the defensive side of the ball.
Poor at passing out of a double/triple team.

add:
get 30 rebounds in a regular season game. Not giving an ounce of fuck for the remainder of the season.

Emwitus

This. Kobe ain't the athletic freak lebron is anymore where pushing 40 minutes and still remaining efficient is an option. Same goes for Bosh and to some extent wade. Our starting players are just too old to make such a run anymore. We need a more athletic bench to help out in the regular season too to keep our players fresh and give us a better record. I'm convinced if we don't get the first seed ain't no way we're getting out of the west.

Blackace

Nash can pretty easily anchor the bench unit for the Lakers by checking out early in the first and then playing in the late first and early second and it would work fine. You don't need to label players as bench players or starters since those are kind of arbitrary sometimes.

Yeah he could.. but again I think you want to get major mins with Nash and Pau or AB on the floor since they would gain the most by his play...

reagrdless his body is pushing 40 from all the miles..

Most playoff rosters are about 7 deep..

you don't have anyone to give you Manu/Harden mins..

Harden/Manu are their team's 3rd best player. Lakers would have 4 players as good or better.

harden/manu are starters.

This. Kobe ain't the athletic freak lebron is anymore where pushing 40 minutes and still remaining efficient is an option. Same goes for Bosh and to some extent wade. Our starting players are just too old to make such a run anymore. We need a more athletic bench to help out in the regular season too to keep our players fresh and give us a better record. I'm convinced if we don't get the first seed ain't no way we're getting out of the west.

Lakers blowing out teams again will help this. Especially if Dwight was here. Please, Lakers would win most of their games easily like in '09 if there is a drew-D12 swap.

Thru the whole playoffs??

Talon

Bynum parks in handicap spots? I bet he doesn't tip either.

That monster.

I'm actually serious. Fuck people that don't tip. I'm looking at you, Tiger.

Of course you want a player like Howard on the team.. It's really silly how quickly fans turn on AB for not wanting to go from the Lakers to the hot mess that the Magic are..

Again, I am not turning on Drew. I'm only saying I'd move him for Dwight.

Lakers-age will tell you I'm the one Laker fan that constantly defends him in this place. I'm content rolling with Bynum next season, but if Dwight can be had I go for it.

I actually rather do this with Kobe.

Mxrz

I don't know how much of a mess Orlando really is for anyone not named Dwight. Moneywise, things should be much better next year, still have the best arena in the league, nice weather, less tax, and potentially Brian Shaw as coach. -- Paying Lopez eight to ten figures a year cannot be any sort of answer, and certainly not doing so in order to create a super team in your own conference--all for 3 late round picks spread over the next five or six years. Hedo's contract is gone next year, and I'd rather pay J-Rich and Davis--are they even guaranteed in 2014?--then pay Lopez even more.

But meh, railing against the wind. Just gotta hope Hennigan/Devos aren't crazy.

And only Nash is pushing 40. Kobe isn't pushing 40, he's not even halfway there in the 30s. I would love to improve the bench. Tell me how they can.

edit: by room, I mean able to improve it. Mini MLE and no trading assets.

Along with the Grant Hill talk, there was news today that the Lakers were interested in signing Meeks. It's not much, but it is an improvement over whatever Blake is offering as a 2 guard.

I don't know how much of a mess Orlando really is for anyone not named Dwight. Moneywise, things should be much better next year, still have the best arena in the league, nice weather, less tax, and potentially Brian Shaw as coach. -- Paying Lopez eight to ten figures a year cannot be any sort of answer, and certainly not doing so in order to create a super team in your own conference--all for 3 late round picks spread over the next five or six years. Hedo's contract is gone next year, and I'd rather pay J-Rich and Davis--are they even guaranteed in 2014?--then pay Lopez even more.

But meh, railing against the wind. Just gotta hope Hennigan/Devos aren't crazy.

lulz

Is this the the new Garden Mystique?

Walsh

Banned
Anyone else fully expect Dion Waiters to be the best SG taken from this draft in 5 years?

I also greatly anticipate Waiters and Kyrie bringing a title to cleveland within the next 5 years (along with Thompson who matured greatly at the end of the season and became nearly a double double guy with just over 20 minutes of playtime). The future is very bright in Cleveland.

Zeller seems like a very safe pick with a low ceiling but high floor. I say cleveland gets the 8 seed this year, and becomes a playoff team from here on out.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I dont care where Dwight goes. Just not to the Nets. They cannot reward this guy for what he has done the past year. Ill be sick to my stomach

Anyone else fully expect Dion Waiters to be the best SG taken from this draft in 5 years?
A very good SG? Yes.
Comparable to Beal? Yes
Better? Debatable.
THE best? Oh Hell no.
I dont care where Dwight goes. Just not to the Nets. They cannot reward this guy for what he has done the past year. Ill be sick to my stomach
This. When The Dwightmare starts being worse than The Decision that's a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom