• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

linsivvi

I ain't even mad.

At least there will be a team that can give the Heat a series. No more 3 round byes for the Heat next season.

Gut the nets eh? I wonder if they will keep Wallace.

Deron
JJ
Wallace
?
Dwight

+trash would instantly make them the hottest shit coming out of NY.

How does it feel Knick fans? Heat winning another chip and being only "back" for one offseason before becoming the laughing stock of NY and the league?

linsivvi

I would not categorize the Heat's first three rounds this year as a 3 round bye..

Celtics won't be as good as this year. 2nd round was more like the Heat sleep walking against the typical Eastern conference fuck ball team before they woke up. I don't see it happening again ever.

Don't see the Nets beating them anyway, but at least would make them work.

And if Bosh was healthy?

Celtics won't be as good as this year. 2nd round was more like the Heat sleep walking against the typical Eastern conference fuck ball team before they woke up. I don't see it happening again ever.

Don't see the Nets beating them anyway, but at least would make them work.

Well, health IS one issue. On paper Brooklyn with Dwight will be very hard to deal with (If it was no Dwight it'd basically be the early 2000 Nets again) and as we saw in the last playoffs how fragile a team's season can be.

That's why regardless of matchups and whatever I'm still leery of that and not that excited till it actually gets here. Gotta wait 9 1/2 months though :(

giri

i make this in anticipation of having to get up very early tomorrow.

I'm off on 6 week holiday. cya later best-gaf.

Don't let too much stupid shit go by with out calling people on it. Don't let LS become Capt again.

h3ro

How does it feel Knick fans? Heat winning another chip and being only "back" for one offseason before becoming the laughing stock of NY and the league?

Laughing stock is a bit much. The Nets have been good in the past (and now we have their starting PG from those days!) and I'm hoping that all the media and hype surrounding the Nets and Barclays gets Dolan to start making decisions that will be made solely improve the team, not just the bottom line.
Until now, he hasn't had to give a shit or put a competitive team on the court because we were still filling seats when the starting lineup included Howard Eisley and Othella Harrington. Things should be different now that BK is going to be a hot ticket.

I just want Shumpert's career to not be derailed by his injury. It'd be nice to see a young guy through on his career and follow him on the Knicks for a while.

Well, health IS one issue. On paper Brooklyn with Dwight will be very hard to deal with (If it was no Dwight it'd basically be the early 2000 Nets again) and as we saw in the last playoffs how fragile a team's season can be.

That's why regardless of matchups and whatever I'm still leery of that and not that excited till it actually gets here. Gotta wait 9 1/2 months though :(

I know Dwight and Wallace would be a decent threat playing off Deron but honestly I can't see wtf JJ would do without the ball. I will admit to not watching ATL much but I really can't remember him taking a shot without a few crossovers/fakes first.

I know Dwight and Wallace would be a decent threat playing off Deron but honestly I can't see wtf JJ would do without the ball. I will admit to not watching ATL much but I really can't remember him taking a shot without a few crossovers/fakes first.

JJ actually has pretty good numbers spotting up, he just didn't do it much in Atlanta. He did play with Nash earlier in his career, he'll have to readjust to playing with another ball handler.

giri

JJ has the text book jumpshot. Like, if you were to write a how to, you'd basically copy his form. He could be good catch and shoot. And if he doesn't have to create, he could be much more balanced while shooting most of the time.

he's also big for a sg, and relatively athletic (last season was pathetic) and so could be a defensive pain in the ass for guys like wade and kobe if he's not carrying the offensive load.

A lot waits to be seen about how he'll be re-invigorated in Brooklyn. Or if he REALLY doesn't give a shit and just plays to collect a pay check.

KingKong

Celtics won't be as good as this year

You're right, they would be better. Healthy Bradley, Stiemsma, Green, Wilcox. Added JET and possibly Courtney Lee.

And there's still Chicago and this new Nets team is at least somewhat tough with Dwight making it one of the best defenses in the league

giri

You're right, they would be better. Healthy Bradley, Stiemsma, Green, Wilcox. Added JET and possibly Courtney Lee.

And there's still Chicago and this new Nets team is at least somewhat tough with Dwight making it one of the best defenses in the league

and the entire world groaned. not in joy or ecstasy but in abject dismay and horror.

linsivvi

Chicago won't be a threat this season. Rose comes back around Jan or something and it'll take him at least a few months to get back to his previous form. They'd be wise to tank the season Spurs style and hope for a top pick.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Don't see how they would be better.

But the reports of their demise have been greatly exaggerated. They still have Rondo, KG and Pierce. Losing Ray Allen hurts to an extent but Jason Terry somewhat makes up for it.

The other guys yeah no. Resigning Jeff Green to that kind of money was a huge, huge mistake. There have been a bunch of forwards who are way better than Jeff Green who signed for less money.

But the reports of their demise have been greatly exaggerated. They still have Rondo, KG and Pierce. Losing Ray Allen hurts to an extent but Jason Terry somewhat makes up for it.

The other guys yeah no. Resigning Jeff Green to that kind of money was a huge, huge mistake. There have been a bunch of forwards who are way better than Jeff Green who signed for less money.

Eh...a bad signing from a financial standpoint doesn't mean that a guy doesn't upgrade your team. Ray Allen might as well have not been on the team last year and they took the Heat to 7.

Biggest addition will be Sully...potentially the second best rookie behind Davis in terms of overall impact (rookie year anyway). The guy was right there with Irving and Barnes in terms of hype a couple of years back and he easily was the better college player out of them all.

I would like that Nets team to beat the Heat in a series if it happened. There is just size absolutely everywhere. And not just size but size with athleticism.

Nets would be smart to do whatever they can to hold onto MarShon and play Gerald at the 4. So long as Crash doesn't die on the court it'd be better for him to play that position in terms of court spacing and matchups.

Owzers

Dwight to the Nets has to get made, i don't want to watch the Heat stroll through a tepid eastern conference just to face one great team in the finals. We've already seen one "super team" on paper, the Knicks, collectively punch a fire extinguisher, so the Nets aren't a safe bet, but at least they'll give it a shot and it's better than watching the Pacers be an elite team in the East.

KingKong

Well, they lost Ray but replaced him with Jet, and with their roleplayers/bench being healthy and draft picks playing OK, how will they not be better?

linsivvi

Dwight to the Nets has to get made, i don't want to watch the Heat stroll through a tepid eastern conference just to face one great team in the finals. We've already seen one "super team" on paper, the Knicks, collectively punch a fire extinguisher, so the Nets aren't a safe bet, but at least they'll give it a shot and it's better than watching the Pacers be an elite team in the East.

If Deron gives a shit again, they'll be a team to watch. Melo/Amare is a bad combo from the get go.

KingKong

Pretty much everyone knew Melo and Stat wouldn't work out, this Nets team has the best and most impactful defender in the league and one of the top point guards. Of course they could also have no one else except JJ but I don't expect them to win or reach the Finals in their first year

What happened to Cleveland and Lebron is partly due to the way the NBA functions. It's no coincidence that the Cavs and Magic ended up in similar situations with star talent. How do you fairly acquire talent to help your best player when the market dictates that only certain team destinations are desirable? How do you change that mindset when the same markets and teams end up winning the title and acquiring all the talent?

Well, you end up overpaying for talent to pull the talent away from the regular destinations, and you end up getting aging talent with name value to increase your value as a destination. Eventually, you become salary bloated and cannot afford the costs of that salary since your market brings in less money. Eventually, you have a lot of overpaid, dwindling talent acquired to appease a superstar because that superstar genuinely doesn't understand how real contenders are built.

The Spurs succeed partly because Duncan didn't create that sense of paranoia. There was less fear that Duncan would leave for the usual destinations, so San Antonio was able to build through the draft and selective trades. The bad moves you see from the Magic and Cavs are panic button reactions to superstar fueled NBA.

I'm pretty sure the fact that the Spurs' scouts are really good while the Magic's and Cavs' are really bad didn't have to do their star players. There were rumors about Duncan leaving the Spurs just a few years into his career.

I'm pretty sure the fact that the Spurs' scouts are really good while the Magic's and Cavs' are really bad didn't have to do their star players. There were rumors about Duncan leaving the Spurs just a few years into his career.

lol, we had got into it last year about that. But yea, he was on his way to ORL. Before The Admiral saved the NBA.

andthebeatgoeson

GMs are paid well-enough they don't need to be told explicitly what to do by their players. Why are you making excuses for your team's poor management?

Did you think Dwight held Orlando hostage too? It's clear he didn't want to stay and wasn't interested in signing an extension. He only opted-in because of the PR disaster caused by SVG. It was in Orlando's best interest to take some of the offers they had last season, but instead they waited. That's bad management.

The same thing with Cleveland. It was clear Bron wanted out. When your star doesn't sign his extension before the trade deadline, you better start thinking about PlanB. Stop making excuses for Cleveland trying to hold on to Lebron like grim death. He had one foot out the door and they desperately clung to him to their own folly.

There's no such thing as loyalty in the age of free agents. PEACE.
I don't mind the sentiment or emotion of Gilbert's letter. What was bad about the letter is that there is no such thing as loyalty, from either side. Yet, here is a owner, crying about a player not being loyal. It's the most hypocritical thing an owner can say. There is no loyalty, just forced respect. Those guaranteed contracts would be in the shit bin if the owners had their say and we see how loyal the NFL owners are. The average shelf life for an NFL player is 4 years. Fuckin 4 years. I think Chris Webber still has 4 years on his fuckin contract (POS old fuck). I don't want any fuckin owner talking to the fans about fuckin loyalty, when they raise ticket prices anytime they can, cut people any time they can. The only difference from the NBA to the NFL is that the players have forced a better situation.

PS: Cavs had 7 years to build a team around Lebron. 7 years. They failed in any respect.
PSS: Did Cleveland really not have a pick in the 2005, 2007 and 2010? Where did they all go?

This too. There is nobody on the Magic or Cleveland that makes me think of Tony Parker or Ginobili. Spurs have rebounded a few times and will probably will after Duncan leaves.

LuchaShaq

Banned
GMs are paid well-enough they don't need to be told explicitly what to do by their players. Why are you making excuses for your team's poor management?

Did you think Dwight held Orlando hostage too? It's clear he didn't want to stay and wasn't interested in signing an extension. He only opted-in because of the PR disaster caused by SVG. It was in Orlando's best interest to take some of the offers they had last season, but instead they waited. That's bad management.

The same thing with Cleveland. It was clear Bron wanted out. When your star doesn't sign his extension before the trade deadline, you better start thinking about PlanB. Stop making excuses for Cleveland trying to hold on to Lebron like grim death. He had one foot out the door and they desperately clung to him to their own folly.

There's no such thing as loyalty in the age of free agents. PEACE.

This a thousand times.

If Lebron ended up being a bust of a player Kwame Brown style would Cleveland have been "loyal" and overpaid him to stay? Hell no. Cleveland ended up being such a joke front office wise that most nba fans I know would have called him an idiot/ a coward for taking the most money and making the least controversial decision by staying. 7 years in Ohio and the best 2nd banana he ever had was probably big Z or Larry Hughes. What a fucking joke. Wasting first round picks on guys like Luke Jackson. Making Hickson untouchable when trading for a 2nd all star. Mo Williams a guy who wasn't a top 20 pg getting an all star appearance? The corpse of Shaq?

If Kyrie Irving knock on wood ends up having a Greg Oden/Brandon Roy level of injury problems will Gilbert and the cavs stay "loyal" and give him a max contract because he's a nice guy and he had a ton of talent? LOL NOPE

giga

ap8Yu.png

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Gut the nets eh? I wonder if they will keep Wallace.

Deron
JJ
Wallace
?
Dwight

+trash would instantly make them the hottest shit coming out of NY.

wtf is this?

These are the dudes the Cavs drafted and played since LeBron got there:

Luke Jackson
Shannon Brown
Daniel Gibson
JJ Hickson

Yeah

andthebeatgoeson

These are the dudes the Cavs drafted and played since LeBron got there:

Luke Jackson
Shannon Brown
Daniel Gibson
JJ Hickson

Yeah

Dude, Luke Jackson is pretty decent. Must be in his genes, since his father played in the NBA. That announcer dude that says, 'Throw it down, big man.' I hate his voice, tho.

Dude, Luke Jackson is pretty decent. Must be in his genes, since his father played in the NBA. That announcer dude that says, 'Throw it down, big man.' I hate his voice, tho.

Is this a joke that I did not see because it is hard to sense sarcasm on the internet

ok i see lol, i figured. luke jackson kinda could look like him though

KingKong

well that's what happens when you're winning 50+ games every year, the Cavs real crime is failing to attract any free agents or trades except for old man Shaq

well that's what happens when you're winning 50+ games every year, the Cavs real crime is failing to attract any free agents or trades except for old man Shaq

they've had plenty of opportunities to acquire talent greater than mo williams, larry hughes, and antawn jamison (who was pretty much donated if I recall)

I may be crazy but I recall some suggesting hughes would be the pippen to lebron's jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom