• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
Why is Love getting so melodramatic about not making the playoffs? With Rubio healthy the Wolves are a playoff team, stop complaining bro your time is now.
They're *probably* a playoff team, but they're still first round fodder.

Kahn was quoted in that article (I'm paraphrasing) as saying that if they had been healthy, they might have competed for the 8 seed last year.

Love is definitely a top 10 player, and that won't be good enough for him (nor should it be--my patience with the FO would be wearing thin too). There are at least 6 teams in the West that are better than a healthy Minny.

Still blows my mind that Kahn wouldn't give him 5 years.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Wasn't it Lebron who insisted they keep hickson when the stat trade was brought up? Or am I remembering incorrectly.
I'm pretty sure he was recruiting amare.
Part of the problem was that the Cavs wanted him to sign an extension, and Amare was concerned about LeBron's intentions of staying with the Cavs, because he didn't want to get stuck there alone if Bron bounced on him.

And that's something which needs to be brought up every time we talk about what Ferry was able to put around LBJ. His unwillingness to sign an extension or even discuss what he'd do after his contract was up scared away every UFA on the market, year in year out. Carlos Ariza and Chris Bosh were two more people who said they ultimately didn't go to CLE because of that reason.

That's a big part of the reason why you saw that we were only acquiring help through trades and from aging players.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Why is Love getting so melodramatic about not making the playoffs? With Rubio healthy the Wolves are a playoff team, stop complaining bro your time is now.

Full interview makes it sound more like he meant that while the team is moving in the right direction, even if all the pieces gel together, it's probably still missing a piece from being a true contender. And though it's probably good enough to make the playoffs, there's the chance it doesn't. If the current course of the team can't even make the playoffs, then it's likely not going to pan out in the long run. If this wolves team doesn't make the playoffs, something major's going to have to happen. The team's going to need to be blown up and head in a different direction. That's what he's saying.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kevin-love-losing-patience-with-timberwolves--losing.html

"If we don’t make the playoffs, I don’t know it’s going to be me or something, but our management needs to step up and make some moves," Love said. "Chase is good for us. Brandon if he can come in relatively healthy and be back to somewhat of where he was … we can be pretty damn good, especially in the fourth quarter with how he used to be [with the Trail Blazers] with LaMarcus [Aldridge] in the pick-and-roll. If Ricky can come back healthy that would be great.

"But I think our front office and ownership needs to step up and get us some pieces. We need to make some moves. We can't just stand still. We have to make this happen."

T'wolves general manager David Kahn said he has spoken to Love about the franchise's plans for the future.

"I'm sure Kevin has a sense of urgency," Kahn said. "I think the team demonstrated it could win last season before we were hit with a cascade of injuries. I thought we were on the right track and surely we would have competed for the eighth and final playoff spot if we remained healthy. Next season is shaping up to be better than last year.

"Under Kevin's leadership, I would expect him to compete for the playoffs. The one thing we can't control is injuries. I'm hopeful for a healthy year."

Love loves playing with Rubio and center Nikola Pekovic, and is hopeful Rubio returns healthy. Kahn said Minnesota doesn't have a firm timetable for when Rubio should be cleared to play. Still, Love said he will continue to push Minnesota's management to add more pieces to the roster because T'wolves fans "deserve a better product."

"I don't know if we will blow up the team again, if I'll be moved," Love said. "I don’t know.

"But something has to happen in Minnesota."

benjipwns

Banned
Part of the problem was that the Cavs wanted him to sign an extension, and Amare was concerned about LeBron's intentions of staying with the Cavs, because he didn't want to get stuck there alone if Bron bounced on him.
But he was a free agent and could have bolted for the Knicks just as he did?

edit: read over the extension part, and didn't remember it, sorry.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
taking a day off from work, so First Take is on - Skip is bashing Lebron for tweeting a message to support Andy Murray before his Wimbeldon match against Fed. It's 'beneath him' to do so.

follow up - best thing Lebron ever did? Tweet support for Tebow.

lol

SamuraiX-

What'd I miss? Justin Harper tearin' it up?

Yeah, baby. I hope he gets a lot more playing time in Orlando this season now that Ryno is gone.

GaimeGuy

They're *probably* a playoff team, but they're still first round fodder.

Kahn was quoted in that article (I'm paraphrasing) as saying that if they had been healthy, they might have competed for the 8 seed last year.

Love is definitely a top 10 player, and that won't be good enough for him (nor should it be--my patience with the FO would be wearing thin too). There are at least 6 teams in the West that are better than a healthy Minny.

Right. And I'm pretty sure the reason Love agreed to the 4 years, non-max contract was in hopes that it would allow the front office more room to get the missing pieces needed to surround Love, Rubio, and Pekovic.

Now, he's simply saying, "Okay, Batum, Chase, and Roy are nice additions, but they're not enough if we want to compete with the likes of OKC, Memphis, or a healthy spurs squad in the west. We're still missing something."

PBY

Banned
taking a day off from work, so First Take is on - Skip is bashing Lebron for tweeting a message to support Andy Murray before his Wimbeldon match against Fed. It's 'beneath him' to do so.

follow up - best thing Lebron ever did? Tweet support for Tebow.

lol
Wait- this didn't actually happen did it? Discussing a Lebron tweet? Wow.

KingGondo

Banned
Minny's FO is still laughable. For every good piece they stumble upon (Pek, Rubio, Budinger), they make a move like signing Brandon Roy (which hampers their ability to go after Batum) and only offering their franchise player a 4-year deal.

I'll be shocked if the Wolves are good enough to satisfy Kevin (i.e. contending for a top-4 seed in the West) by the time his player option comes up.

Right. And I'm pretty sure the reason Love agreed to the 4 years, non-max contract was in hopes that it would allow the front office more room to get the missing pieces needed to surround Love, Rubio, and Pekovic.

Now, he's simply saying, "Okay, Batum, Chase, and Roy are nice additions, but they're not enough if we want to compete with the likes of OKC, Memphis, or a healthy spurs squad in the west. We're still missing something."
this is pretty naive

He wanted 5 years, FO was playing hardball and wanted to give him 4 years (stupid). His agent conceded when they wouldn't budge and added an ETO on the last year of his contract.

So it's actually a 3 year deal.

Nothing about his contract allows more flexibility for the team, unless you're referring to the fact that after 3 years he'll be playing for the Lakers

2 years before trade rumors start, as well

Yeah, this blew my mind too. That said I think the Wolves can break the top 6, but you're right they'd likely not make it past the 1st round for the next few years. However, unless either team pulls a FA coup, both the Lakers and Spurs are on the decline and while both are solid the Grizz and Clippers aren't exactly dynasty teams either. If Love is patient the Wolves could realistically be a top 3 seed in the West in a few years.

Full interview makes it sound more like he meant that while the team is moving in the right direction, even if all the pieces gel together, it's probably still missing a piece from being a true contender. And though it's probably good enough to make the playoffs, there's the chance it doesn't. If the current course of the team can't even make the playoffs, then it's likely not going to pan out in the long run. If this wolves team doesn't make the playoffs, something major's going to have to happen. The team's going to need to be blown up and head in a different direction. That's what he's saying.]

That article definitely makes it clear Love wants to step up and play with the rest of the NBA's elite teams. I don't blame him, he's an elite player. He wouldn't be playing in London if he wasn't. I don't know if the Woves will get there, but in my opinion they're not that far away.

GaimeGuy

this is pretty naive

He wanted 5 years, FO was playing hardball and wanted to give him 4 years (stupid). His agent conceded when they wouldn't budge and added an ETO on the last year of his contract.

So it's actually a 3 year deal.

Nothing about his contract allows more flexibility for the team, unless you're referring to the fact that after 3 years he'll be playing for the Lakers

2 years before trade rumors start, as well

Dude... I know he wanted 5 years. I'm saying he agreed to the non-max deal at the front office's insistence instead of not signing an extension at all because he thinks the team has the foundation to be great with love, rubio, and pekovic, but it needs 3 or 4 new pieces, most of them in the backcourt.

But if the team can't get those extra pieces even with the cap room it has, then something's going to have to change.

SamuraiX-

Maalik Wayns - Villanova (Undrafted FA)

Who is this kid? He's on the court for the Magic right now.

Great dribbling skills, court vision, passing, etc.

Looking like he could be a solid backup PG in the NBA if somebody picks him up.

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah not buying it..

DMC will be a beast next year book it...
I'll believe it when I see it. The Sac organization is a joke and so are DMC's teammates. He needs a mature mentor to keep him in line, not Reke and Jimmer.

There's a reason none of the top draft prospects wanted to work out for Sacramento.

DMC is an unbelievable headcase and will be lucky if he gets his shit together long enough to make a couple all-star games.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I'll believe it when I see it. The Sac organization is a joke and so are DMC's teammates. He needs a mature mentor to keep him in line, not Reke and Jimmer.

There's a reason none of the top draft prospects wanted to work out for Sacramento.

DMC is an unbelievable headcase and will be lucky if he gets his shit together long enough to make a couple all-star games.

If being called a baby by Jerry Colangelo of all people doesn't light a fire under his ass nothing will.. I think he will be really hungry next... Won't stop him from being an idiot sometimes but he should be much better..

He really improved his game last season.. So he should be ready to take that next step..

LuchaShaq

Banned
You guys won't be calling DMC crazy or mentally weak once he's dropping 22/11 on a regular basis this coming season.

Rasheed Wallace was crazy and the best player on a title team.

Ron artest was the best player on a title favorite.... Until well ya know

If sactos shitty org never gets DMc halfway under control I'm sure he will flourish as an all star somewhere else.

I moved into DMC's camp after he called the league and Griffin out for some of the BS they get away with. I love guys that aren't tepid, tow-the-line no matter what types. He is FAR from weak. He just needs to bring that no BS attitude to work with him everytime he steps out onto the court.

shira

I moved into DMC's camp after he called the league and Griffin out for some of the BS they get away with. I love guys that aren't tepid, tow-the-line no matter what types. He is FAR from weak. He just needs to bring that no BS attitude to work with him everytime he steps out onto the court.
So why didn't he call out Kobe and everyone else who gets free fouls? He chose the weakest duck.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
So why didn't he call out Kobe and everyone else who gets free fouls? He chose the weakest duck.

Yeah call out someone you never match up with and can't really tell without a doubt that they are flopping... Great plan? Or lame troll?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom