• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
You realize not just Laker fans are saying how incredibly stupid the trade is and that Bynum is the best offer they'll get based on pure talent alone. As for Lopez how else do you think he's going to be sent to Orlando without matching salaries??
I don't think it's as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

Considering the value of bigs nowadays, there's a pretty good chance Orlando can flip Bropez's contract a couple years down the road anyways, even if it's a max/near max deal.

Picks are the real draw, anyways. You also have to think that even if the Magic prefer Bynum (and sending Dwight to the West), they risk Dwight leaving and coming back East a year from now anyways.

7007309511_4c95d3f1e2_o.gif

Considering the value of bigs nowadays, there's a pretty good chance Orlando can flip Bropez's contract a couple years down the road anyways, even if it's a max/near max deal.

Picks are the real draw, anyways. You also have to think that even if the Magic prefer Bynum (and sending Dwight to the West), they risk Dwight leaving and coming back East a year from now anyways.

Brook Lopez is terrible. He grabbed FIVE BOARDS PER GAME his last full season. And that was before a foot injury. Who is going to want him in a year or two? You might as well just legally change his name to "Brook Lopez' Expiring Contract" because that's the only value he will bring.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
bruce_arthur
If Dwight Howard goes to Brooklyn, nine of the 12 members of the 2008 Olympic team will play in New York, LA, or Miami. (The other three: Michael Redd, Tayshaun Prince, and Carlos Boozer.)

Poor Boozer nobody wants to play with him :(

Do you not understand the Nets picks are garbage? The 27th or 30th pick mean shit. They should trade with Houston if they want better picks.

And who cares if Dwight comes back East? he'd have to go to a bad team to do it on his own. Sign + trades illegal for him next year.

Lopez blows. it's a franchise killing move. How long will it take them to recover?

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA
It sounds like the Magic, Nets and Cavaliers have found a fourth team to facilitate their potential blockbuster deal.

well, that's that.

Nelo Ice

Banned

Unless I'm mistaken Atlanta is the only team that can even have a chance of signing him. The reason Lakers aren't worried is if he comes to LA he'll see that they win and well can give him about 25 million reasons to stay. Same with Bynum he wants to be the franchise guy and Orlando will also have 25 million reasons for him to stay.

Also what would be the point of trading for such garbage if all they can hope for is trading him as a possible expiring especially when there's going to be a million of those thanks to this off season.

The picks are going to be a complete crapshoot for getting game changing talent. Otherwise they'll just get contributors at best that won't help a rebuilding team at all.

People are acting like there's some kind of immediate positive outcome for the Magic in the cards here. If Hennigan prefers that the Magic tank with a bundle of firsts and a good offensive big (with good character) over tanking with the gaping vagina that is Bynum and no picks, who cares (except Laker fans, who think the best players in the league are theirs by birthright)?

And how do we know that Bropez is gonna be able to negotiate a max deal, anyways?

Have you seen how much other bigs have gotten? Bropez is getting paid.

If tanking is what they want Houston i a much better option. Ton of young prospects plus picks that won't suck. Houston with Dwight may miss the playoff, Nets with Dwightt will be one of the best teams in the league and ORL will get shit picks.

You trade with Houston if you want to rebuild, you trade with LA if you want a talented piece to build around, you trade with Brooklyn if you want to ruin your future with a injury prone mediocre big, medicore picks and give into Coward's demands. Pretty simple. Plus your fanbase will hate you for making a contender out of an in conference team as a favor for a giant douche like Dwight.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Do you not understand the Nets picks are garbage? The 27th or 30th pick mean shit. They should trade with Houston if they want better picks.

And who cares if Dwight comes back East? he'd have to go to a bad team to do it on his own. Sign + trades illegal for him next year.

Lopez blows. it's a franchise killing move. How long will it take them to recover?

well, that's that.

So the only thing we can hope for is Humphries not agreeing to sign or Shelden Williams :lol. What exactly is going through Hennigans head that makes him think this is the best he can get. He has no obligation to trade Dwight to Brooklyn and he's giving him exactly what he wants.

You trade with Houston if you want to rebuild, you trade with LA if you want a talented piece to build around, you trade with Brooklyn if you want to ruin your future with a injury prone mediocre big, medicore picks and give into Coward's demands. Pretty simple. Plus your fanbase will hate you for making a contender out of an in conference team as a favor for a giant douche like Dwight.

This. The other options make more sense. It doesn't have to be LAL. Hell, I'd rather trade for DeAndre Jordan and Caron Butler than Lopez.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Maybe Prokhorov is handing a cool 10 million under the table to Hennigan. Thats the only logical explanation. Stern needs to step in and investigate.

KingGondo

Banned
Brook Lopez is terrible. He grabbed FIVE BOARDS PER GAME his last full season. And that was before a foot injury. Who is going to want him in a year or two? You might as well just legally change his name to "Brook Lopez' Expiring Contract" because that's the only value he will bring.
Someone traded for Joe Johnson's contract and guys like Omer Asik and Roy Hibbert are getting crazy money. Hibbert is a huge risk too at that kind of money. He could easily get injured, regress, or simply slide back into mediocrity.

You forgot the first rule of Best-GAF: Never underestimate NBA GMs.

Someone traded for Joe Johnson's contract and guys like Omer Asik and Roy Hibbert are getting crazy money. Hibbert is a huge risk too at that kind of money. He could easily get injured, regress, or simply slide back into mediocrity.

Believe me, I know about that rule, but Hibbert is bad IF HE GETS INJURED, Lopez is shit even if he's completely healthy. He's just a very mediocre player. I'd rather have Hibbert or even Asik for the money they are getting than Lopez any day of the week. Shit I would rather pay Robin lopez big money than Brook if you put a gun to my head.

How did the Joe Johnson contract work out for Atlanta?

Oh right, they're now rebuilding again.

Lopez might be movable, but at a cost. These deal KILL franchises long term.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Orlando is pretty much fucked with either Lopez or Bynum.

Lopez at least is a character guy. If the ankle checks out, it's a smarter move.

I'm not high on Bynum though, injury prone + poor attitude.

Lopez at least is a character guy. If the ankle checks out, it's a smarter move.

lol all day at this, character doesn't make you money or win you games in the NBA. Bynum is worth so much more than Lopez, it's laughable that you think otherwise.

Someone needs to offer Humphries a 3 year deal and fuck this all up.

Come on Portland. Do it. Hibbert is gone and LMA will be your C. Go Get Da Humph.

Well Bynum finally had a season where he was healthy, while Lopez only played 5 games. I'd take my chances on Bynum being more healthy for now. But Bynum is just a lot more talented than Lopez, even with his mental issues that come with him. Dude was a fucking beast this last season. I'd take a chance on Bynum not signing over Lopez signed to a max contract all day long.

The Magic can eat one of two shit sandwiches. The one from Brooklyn at least has some pieces of corn in it.

No corn, only parasites.

The only reason you're being a devil's advocate here is that Dwight to LA means OKC is fucked and you know it. You're being totally biased, here.

And you can claim I am too, but I'm at least arguing every other deal is superior. The Nets deal is the only deal that is downright stupid and will destroy their franchise.

They're better off letting him walk or trading him to a pure rental team for just a couple assets than this Nets deal. I would be making this argument if the Lakers were not allowed to go after Dwight, too.

SUPREME1

Banned

Lmao. I don't get this line of thinking at all. Didn't even argue in favor of picks, but actually choosing Lopez over bynum.

What is this, exactly?

Bynum is a borderline franchise player. My grandma can outrebound Brook Lopez.

linsivvi

Gondo is doing his typical irrational rationalization to convince himself that Orlando wouldn't be better off with Bynum than Lopez. The same kind of rationalization he used to convince himself that the Thunder will be able to keep both Harden and Ibaka without paying them both the max (we are one big family, yeah sure sure).

In reality he's trembling with fear that the Lakers might actually be able to land Dwight, even though it doesn't seem that way any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom