• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walsh

Banned
So now the Clippers are involved as the 4th team and receive Brooks?

This trade is getting incredibly convoluted...

We need a 5th team and at least four, maybe 5 more players. C'mon Knicks, send Jerome Jordan out to the Cavs and get a 1st rounder from somebody.

KingGondo

Banned
Gondo is doing his typical irrational rationalization to convince himself that Orlando wouldn't be better off with Bynum than Lopez. The same kind of rationalization he used to convince himself that the Thunder will be able to keep both Harden and Ibaka without paying them both the max (we are one big family, yeah sure sure).

In reality he's trembling with fear that the Lakers might actually be able to land Dwight, even though it doesn't seem that way any more.
I'm mainly rooting for some damn competitive balance in the East.

Even with Dwight, the Lakers are depending on aging/old guys and still don't match up well with OKC. I ain't scared.

Orlando is pretty much fucked with either Lopez or Bynum.

Lopez at least is a character guy. If the ankle checks out, it's a smarter move.

I'm not high on Bynum though, injury prone + poor attitude.

You're right. Character guys win titles, like Magic, Michael, Shaq, Larry, Kobe and LeBron. All high character guys you'd want your daughter to date!

Lawrence Frank looks like a toddler with a receding hair line........

They need someone to work with him. From a development standpoint, he should have gotten the fuck outta Uconn to somewhere else. But then he runs the risk of exposing himself as a fraud, for free.

Very true....I see his defense surpassing his offense by a lot early in his career. Hopefully he can work with someone like Hakeem and at least become a threat on offense........

As for the New York Nuggets, there were preliminary discussions about Kenyon Martin to Knicks in a 3-team deal but talks have cooled
Wait, what? I assume because they're going after Camby that's why.

Are the Knicks going to get ANY shooting guard this offseason?
You're right. Character guys win titles, like Magic, Michael, Shaq, Larry, Kobe and LeBron. All high character guys you'd want your daughter to date!
... I'm not going to say it.

KingGondo

Banned
Magic aren't sniffing a title anyways, even with Bynum.

Like I said, he's one of the worst guys you could have around during a rebuild.

Do we have any idea what Houston has offered?

Team USA: Where future trade ideas/FA choices between players go's down.

Kobe better get in Kevin Love's ear this summer. Unfortantly I don't think Kobe has the tact to be much of a recruiter. The conversation would probably go something like this:

Kobe: "Hey Kevin. I've been thinking, I'm getting older and we need some younger players out in LA. You're a stud man, you ever think of coming back to LA to play in the purple and gold?"

Kevin: "I don't know, I have to thin--"

Kobe: "FUCK YOU THEN."

Shinobi

Ben Golliver ‏@blazersedge
Deron Williams says he and Dwight Howard have talked about playing together "for years" ... Since 2008 Olympics

Is Orlando gonna tail Howard with a private eye over the next 12 months?

bruce_arthur
If Dwight Howard goes to Brooklyn, nine of the 12 members of the 2008 Olympic team will play in New York, LA, or Miami. (The other three: Michael Redd, Tayshaun Prince, and Carlos Boozer.)

Poor Boozer nobody wants to play with him :(

Fuck Boozer...he lied to the blind ex-Cavs owner about re-signing and flew off elsewhere. I wouldn't wanna play with that lying, soft ass bitch either.

As for the Lakers, they should've gone hard for Howard from the jump, then found a half decent PG to fill in. Instead they trade all their picks to get Nash, leaving 'em short for the Howard deal. Tough titties.

Of course Orlando should've traded Howard a year ago since it was obvious then this is how it would end up, but after the Rashard Lewis contract they handed out, nothing they do is capable of surprising me anymore.

It's kind of genius for Gilbert to help the Nets. Think about it. Their team is still years away from competing, so the Nets superteam doesn't affect them.

With this proposed deal, the Nets luxury tax is going to be huuuuuge in a few years. LT dollars go to teams under the LT. Like the Cavs will be. He's making $$$ in more ways that one.

Of course, it helps prove it was always about money and not parity...

But we already knew that, some of us anyway.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

No, just saying they aren't good with Bynum.. so might as well be bad with Lopez.

At least Lopez is used to losing.

You get more picks with the Lopez deal.. Lakers can't offer shit but Bynum.

Magic aren't sniffing a title anyways, even with Bynum.

Like I said, he's one of the worst guys you could have around during a rebuild.

Do we have any idea what Houston has offered?

I didn't say they were. But basing player personnel decisions on "high character" is stupid. Kevin Durant would still be a franchise player even if he was a scumbag who had 10 kids out of wedlock and didn't take care of any of them, cheated on his girlfriend like crazy and was a degenerate gambler. Yeah, it's a factor, but ultimately talent and ability are what's important, and Bynum's talent and ability is far greater than Lopez'. You keep talking about how they can just flip Lopez later, why can't they do that with Bynum? If both play to their potential Andrew has way more value as a trade chip.

h3ro

You trade with Houston if you want to rebuild, you trade with LA if you want a talented piece to build around, you trade with Brooklyn if you want to ruin your future with a injury prone mediocre big, medicore picks and give into Coward's demands. Pretty simple. Plus your fanbase will hate you for making a contender out of an in conference team as a favor for a giant douche like Dwight.
Lakers-age sure is heated over him not wanting to be a Laker. Let's not act like Bynum hasn't had at least 3 procedures done to his knees and that this last season, which was his first without an injury is now suddenly his baseline. He's infinitely more talented than Lopez but a lot of your reasons for not wanting to deal with Brooklyn can also apply to the Lakers in terms of Bynum's medical history and lack of draft picks (which would require machinations just as convoluted as we're seeing with Bk) to acquire.

You might as well just legally change his name to "Brook Lopez' Expiring Contract" because that's the only value he will bring.

Now I know it's serious. You guys are resorting to Bill Simmons tropes.

Kobe better get in Kevin Love's ear this summer. Unfortantly I don't think Kobe has the tact to be much of a recruiter. The conversation would probably go something like this:

Kobe: "Hey Kevin. I've been thinking, I'm getting older and we need some younger players out in LA. You're a stud man, you ever think of coming back to LA to play in the purple and gold?"

Kevin: "I don't know, I have to thin--"

Kobe: "FUCK YOU THEN."

it would probably go like the "Shit Pushed In BRO" convo from Training Day.

And again, this deal is so bad for Orlando I'm cracking up. Keep D12 in your conference, traded for a great 3rd option who can't play D, and draft picks in the low 20's.

BETTER DO THAT DEAL

giga

Humphries agent, Dan Fegan, is still trying to convince Humphries to settle for a deal that will be guaranteed for just one year. Fegan also represents Howard.
Lol. Get a new agent Hump. Fegan doesn't give a shit about you.

Nelo Ice

Banned
O man what a haul for Orlando!
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...th-team-possibly-complete-dwight-howard-trade
According to sources the Nets would receive Howard, Jason Richardson, Chris Duhon and Earl Clark in the proposed deal. The Magic would get Brook Lopez in a sign-and-trade, Luke Walton, Damion James, Shelden Williams, Armon Johnson and three first-round picks -- two from the Nets and a lottery protected first from the Clippers. The Cavs would get Kris Humphries in a sign-and-trade, Quentin Richardson, Sundiata Gaines, a first round pick from the Nets and three million in cash. The Clippers would receive MarShon Brooks.

So many high character guys such as Lopez and Luke. That can't help but ensure rebuilding will work out smoothly and in 10+ years they might be able to compete once the super team retires!

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS
Clippers have been asked to take MarShon Brooks for a 1st-round pick as fourth team in Dwight Howard trade, but haven't agreed, source says.

linsivvi

I'm mainly rooting for some damn competitive balance in the East.

Even with Dwight, the Lakers are depending on aging/old guys and still don't match up well with OKC. I ain't scared.

3 of his past 4 games against OKC:

16-20 FG 8-12 FT 15 boards 6 blocks 40 points
11-19 FG 17-20 FT 18 boards 2 blocks 39 points
14-20 FG 5-8 FT 9 boards 1 block 33 points

But hey, keep telling yourself that he won't eat your front court alive.

squicken

It's such a bad deal for Orlando. And I hope at some point it gets explained why Humphries and Lopez are taking less money/years to facilitate the deal. I mean there are always dumb GMs making stupid trades, but it's pretty rare for players to walk away from extra years/money

Nelo Ice

Banned
3 of his past 4 games against OKC:

16-20 FG 8-12 FT 15 boards 6 blocks 40 points
11-19 FG 17-20 FT 18 boards 2 blocks 39 points
14-20 FG 5-8 FT 9 boards 1 block 33 points

But hey, keep telling yourself that he won't eat your front court alive.

I think Gondo would rather have a high character guy like Lopez if he could. Wouldn't want to ruin the family atmosphere in OKC if he could take a high character guy over an a talented asshole.

SamuraiX-

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS
L.A.'s own lottery-protected first would go to Orlando in deal, if Clippers agree, source says. Organization is mulling it over.

So this is seriously coming down to whether or not Sterling wants to give up a first for another beautiful black body?

Have fun in Brooklyn, Dwight!

That's a pretty shit deal for Orlando, but I can understand Hennigan's pressure to take what he can. It's easy for us to say we'd just play Dwight's bluff and make him sweat out another year in a Magic uniform, but it's probably not that easy for him.

Time for Mitch to move on. C'mon you asshole talk Jim into trading Bynum for some depth.

4 team trade that doesn't involve the lakers?
2luc4rm.gif

Shinobi

Why does it matter if Howard is out of the conference or not? Orlando won't be good for five years no matter which trade they go with. If anything, you're better off trading him to an eastern club...at least then you'd be guaranteed two home sellouts a year (and trust, the NBA will make sure the Nets visit them twice...Stern knows what's up).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom