• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically the NBA will suck dick until it gets a permanent hard cap installed. This is the only thing that can save this league. Sadly, most of us have watched it all our lives and thus, can't bring ourselves to abandon it as we should. Even with a bad team I can't stop. Sigh. No doubt that the NFL is infinitely more entertaining at this point. Parity, where art thou?

Source confirms #Knicks are on verge of acquiring Marcus Camby via sign-and-trade for Toney Douglas, Josh Harrelson, Dan Gadzuric, JJordan.
Huhn?

This makes no sense. Camby would only be 3 mill. The total contacts of those 4 amount to around 6-7 million. Maybe Courtney Lee also involved in the deal?

Ok Schultz is clearing it up by saying nothing is confirmed as Camby is mulling it over.
Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan Feigen
A deal for Camby is possible, maybe even probable "in next 24 hours." Rockets would get back pieces, but won't be for all 4 Knicks offered.
ok now it makes sense.

Didn't the league make more money this year?

Not sure if it needs saving.

How much money do the Twilight movies make? I'm just saying the product has turned to shit. It doesn't matter anyway, nothing could be done until this CBA ends. This will be the worst decade in Basketball, ever. Just a handful of super teams battling it out year after year. The better part of the rest of the league will probably be rebuilding at the same time because they just can't get it done with the talent they have and there won't be enough talent in the drafts to help so many teams. Ugh, I don't even want to think about it. Back to looking at things at the Micro level and be happy about getting the Dragon back. Hard when you see shit like Allen going to Miami and Howard joining D Will and JJ.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I said it during the lockout, but if you really want to improve competitive balance, make it so teams can only have one max player on their roster at a time. Every other player is at half of the max or lower. You'd see a lot less of this superteam crap if one of the guys had to make half the money of the other.

Yeah. No.

Players would never agree to that, and you'd be destroyed by a bad contract.

How much money do the Twilight movies make? I'm just saying the product has turned to shit. It doesn't matter anyway, nothing could be done until this CBA ends. This will be the worst decade in Basketball, ever. Just a handful of super teams battling it out year after year. The better part of the rest of the league will probably be rebuilding at the same time because they just can't get it done with the talent they have and there won't be enough talent in the drafts to help so many teams. Ugh, I don't even want to think about it. Back to looking at things at the Micro level and be happy about getting the Dragon back. Hard when you see shit like Allen going to Miami and Howard joining D Will and JJ.

and just like the twilight movies they aren't gonna stop making them because they make money...

also you only think the product is ass because your team is ass.

My team is mediocre and probably won't win for a loooong time, I still enjoyed last year greatly.

Allen going to Miami proves that there isn't much you can do to truly stop superteams. Hell Dwight is gonna force his way to where he wants to go without any leverage.

Owners got their money, the league is profitable and bandwagoners and haters will keep paying the bills.

Deal with it.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Basically the NBA will suck dick until it gets a permanent hard cap installed. This is the only thing that can save this league. Sadly, most of us have watched it all our lives and thus, can't bring ourselves to abandon it as we should. Even with a bad team I can't stop. Sigh. No doubt that the NFL is infinitely more entertaining at this point. Parity, where art thou?

As someone who is teamless fuck parity.

I love watching heat/okc spurs /Boston and love laughing at the Cavs/bobcats etc.

Dont want to lose all your trade leverage with a star? Be smart like Utah and trade them with 1.5 years or more left unless you are a legit title contender. You let them get to the last year and have no plan you have noone but yourself to blame.

If the suns owners weren't incompetent cheap fucks they would have had Nash amare Marion joe Johnson and then send/rondo. If that's not a super team what is?

and just like the twilight movies they aren't gonna stop making them because they make money...

also you only think the product is ass because your team is ass.

My team is mediocre and probably won't win for a loooong time, I still enjoyed last year greatly.

Allen going to Miami proves that there isn't much you can do to truly stop superteams. Hell Dwight is gonna force his way to where he wants to go without any leverage.

Owners got their money, the league is profitable and bandwagoners and haters will keep paying the bills.

Deal with it.

I wasn't saying that the league is dying financially and will need to make changes to survive, I'm saying it is losing it's entertainment value and needs to make changes to be good again. Since people still watch, they still make money and it won't change, I know that. No, even if my team was one of the super teams it would still be shit. I'd personally get more entertainment out of it, but I'd still admit that the league is a joke compared to other sports. I'm glad you find entertainment out of a sport where maybe three or four teams tops have a chance of winning the next several years. No dark horses can arise with super teams around. So many unworthy players are getting max deals deals now, tying up teams cap and making it even more difficult to stay competitive.

Shinobi

This product has turned to shit? Huh? You're acting like competitive balance once existed in the NBA.

Here's the simple truth that most people are too stupid to admit: parity is overrated. There's nothing good about seeing 30 teams all dragged into the same bowl of mediocrity.

Great players and great teams is what drives interest, captures the imagination and generates ratings. We talk about the Celtics of the 60's, the Lakers of the 80's, the Bulls of the 90's. We talk about the Yankees, the Niners, the undefeated Dolphins. We talk about Manchester United, Barcelona, Madrid of the 60's, or Spain's current run. We talk about Federer, Woods, Schumacher and Bolt. 20 years on we're still fawning over The Dream Team despite it being the most tilted tournament in the history of sports.

The Miami Heat have driven interest in the league the last two years because of who they have and how good (and last year how comically bad at times) they have been. We either cheer for the great teams, or we hope to see the great teams eventually get beat. But we'll all watch.

The idea that the NFL is as popular as it is because of parity is one of the biggest myths in sports. Peeps were uttering this at the same time they were lauding the Patriots for winning three Superbowls in four years. Peeps watch the NFL because it's the NFL. That's it. Nobody was turning off their televisions when the Niners ran the 80's, or when The Bears murdered teams in '85, or when the Cowboys went on their early 90's run.

The reason TV numbers went up the last ten years? Pretty simple. The ability to watch all the games, and HDTV. It's not because the Lions suddenly became good after being shit for 15 years.

That's why you combine it with non-guaranteed contracts.

Right, because the players will just go for that one...

Michael Lee
If there ever was a trade that needed to get voided for "basketball reasons," it's this proposed Dwight Howard deal. Makes me squeamish
1 minute ago
C'mon, we need to get basketball reasons trending worldwide again...

RBH

image.JPG

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Just hold players as employees of the teams they play for fine them for colluding and we would see less super teams

As someone who is teamless fuck parity.

I love watching heat/okc spurs /Boston and love laughing at the Cavs/bobcats etc.

Dont want to lose all your trade leverage with a star? Be smart like Utah and trade them with 1.5 years or more left unless you are a legit title contender. You let them get to the last year and have no plan you have noone but yourself to blame.

If the suns owners weren't incompetent cheap fucks they would have had Nash amare Marion joe Johnson and then send/rondo. If that's not a super team what is?

Not to mention he brought up the NFL as if the same teams aren't always in the mix for that sport as well.

SamuraiX-

Don't know how I missed this:

Sacramento C and Team USA Select team member DeMarcus Cousins, per his norm, didn't hold back today as he addressed the recent critical comments of Team USA chairman Jerry Colangelo, who had said Cousins needed to mature and wasn't helping his cause in the national program. Cousins just told reporters that he pursued Colangelo this afternoon to discuss his comments. It was, according to Cousins, the first time they had ever conversed.

COUSINS
"I actually just had a conversation with him...I asked him, 'How was I being immature?' He never really gave me an answer. He said it was just his opinion, and I told him that I'm just trying to come out and play hard. I'm not trying to get into any of that. I have respect for every veteran in here, and at the end of the day I'm really just trying to play hard.
"We all know the odds are against (the Select team) in this camp. Everybody knows that to even have a chance we've got to play even harder than we normally do. And I told that I'm just out here trying to play hard.

On their conversation...

"I've never spoken to him. I just went out of my way to ask. I wanted to know. I kind of took offense to it, because I really came in here trying to play hard. For him to say that, it kind of puts a step back in how I'm trying to grow...I know it's my reptuation, so I come in with the odds against me.

On the first day of camp that was so physical with the National team in a scrimmage...

"The first day, none of us expected it to be like that. All of us were a little messed up in the head. But each day, all of us have gotten better, so you kind of get used to it, you kind of accept it and you kind of find a way around it and that's what all of us has done.

On whether it diminishes his desire to be a part of the program...

"I'm not going to say (it's diminished his desire to be a part of the Team USA program). I'm going to say it's not what I expected, but at the end of the day I'm learning and I'm having fun. I'm bonding with my teammates. I'm bonding with the veterans here. It's a fun experience.

On whether he wishes Colangelo would have shared his opinion privately as opposed to publicly...

"It definitely bothered me, because I know I came in here and I'm busting my a** just to give my team a chance to even compete with these guys. So for him to go out and say that, I mean it was kind of messed up. Like I said, he has a right to his opinion.

"(Colangelo) came back later on saying how I improved so much and I played well and all this and that. I honestly don't know where I stand, but I'm going to try to end the camp on a strong note and I'm going to continue to compete and play hard."

Quick, everyone take a shot for every time DMC said "play hard"!

But seriously, go fuck yourself, Jerry. Even after DMC shows up and gives it his all the dickhole just falls back on stigmas and preconceived notions. Go drown in a bathtub full of dicks.

and who's fault is that?

No CBA in the world can save some of these GMs from themselves.

I guess you can say the players as they would never agree to a hard cap, greedy as they are. Especially now that they are seeing their lower tier peers getting max contracts. It's a joke.

I wasn't saying that the league is dying financially and will need to make changes to survive, I'm saying it is losing it's entertainment value and needs to make changes to be good again. Since people still watch, they still make money and it won't change, I know that. No, even if my team was one of the super teams it would still be shit. I'd personally get more entertainment out of it, but I'd still admit that the league is a joke compared to other sports. I'm glad you find entertainment out of a sport where maybe three or four teams tops have a chance of winning the next several years. No dark horses can arise with super teams around. So many unworthy players are getting max deals deals now, tying up teams cap and making it even more difficult to stay competitive.

The NBA is growing in popularity.

Don't know how I missed this:

Quick, everyone take a shot for every time DMC said "play hard"!

But seriously, go fuck yourself, Jerry. Even after DMC shows up and gives it his all the dickhole just falls back on stigmas and preconceived notions. Go drown in a bathtub full of dicks.

But if you have stars saying "DMC fouled the shit out of us!" doesn't that show that to Cousin's "play hard" means "foul hard." If so, yea he still has some work to do upstairs.

I guess you can say the players as they would never agree to a hard cap, greedy as they are. Especially now that they are seeing their lower tier peers getting max contracts. It's a joke.

Hold up, the guys who's careers can end on landing from a shot badly are the greedy ones in all of this? It's the league's fault for going Oprah and handing out teams to so many markets, and owners who thought owning an NBA franchise in some of these markets was a slam dunk are stupid as fuck too.

Omega

Banned
NBA needs super teams.

It's the unfortunate truth. 26 teams will rarely, if ever be a serious title contender unless they get lucky in the draft and get someone like Duncan or Durant who don't give a shit about playing in a big city.

But you have a better chance winning the lottery.

The NBA is growing in popularity.

I think the first half of what you put in bold addresses that comment. I'm not saying they need to make the changes to be successful as there are clearly enough band wagoners of the large market teams to support them. I don't know why you guys keep thinking that I'm trying to argue the NBA isn't making any money. I'm just talking about the quality of the sport and the direction it's heading.

Shinobi

Just hold players as employees of the teams they play for fine them for colluding and we would see less super teams

Let me know how you plan to prove this colluding thing.

What would they do to stop it?

Let's flip that around: What are the owners gonna do to get it? Lock 'em out? Like I said before, how'd that work out?

I hope the rumor of Dan Gilbert helping the Nets to help them beat LeBron and the Heat is true

I'm sure Cavs fans will appreciate that Gilbert's more interested in keeping the Heat from not winning anymore titles, then making the Cavs relevant again. You go Gilbert!

LuchaShaq

Banned

Yes greedy players exploiting the poor billionaires who sell their teams a decade later for massive profit.

The poor owners who would be more loyal than players? Gtfo with that. If Dan Gilbert or Jerry Krause could move or sell the team or cut and trade players to make more money they can and will. Zero reason for players not to do the same.

I think the first half of what you put in bold addresses that comment. I'm not saying they need to make the changes to be successful as there are clearly enough band wagoners of the large market teams to support them. I don't know why you guys keep thinking that I'm trying to argue the NBA isn't making any money. I'm just talking about the quality of the sport and the direction it's heading.

How can you say the quality of the sport is in decline if the league is growing in populatiry?
I'm not even sure how you can say it's in decline. The NBA has always been a top heavy league. If anything ... it's just more of the same.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
How can you say the quality of the sport is in decline if the league is growing in populatiry?

The two are not synonymous with each other.

The NFL's popularity is going up every single year but I don't think many people would argue that the quality of the product is necessarily doing the same.

Yes greedy players exploiting the poor billionaires who sell their teams a decade later for massive profit.

The poor owners who would be more loyal than players? Gtfo with that. If Dan Gilbert or Jerry Krause could move or sell the team or cut and trade players to make more money they can and will. Zero reason for players not to do the same.

My statement is in regards to hard cap being the only thing that would prevent super teams and make the league good again. The players are the ones that would refuse such an installment which is why I made that comment. Why would they refuse a hard cap? Greed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom