• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can you say the quality of the sport is in decline if the league is growing in populatiry?
I'm not even sure how you can say it's in decline. The NBA has always been a top heavy league. If anything ... it's just more of the same.

I gave reasons as to why it's in decline. Growing popularity doesn't mean shit. I can list countless products of extremely low quality that are vastly popular. Obviously this is all subjective, but there are rational arguments to be made as to why the NBA is turning into an inferior product. I mean c'mon, the Miami Heat quite literally just proved you can buy a championship. They have zero depth, are lacking in the two most important positions in the sport, and it still doesn't matter. Who needs to build a talented team? Just buy a few all-stars and become a Super Team!

The two are not synonymous with each other.

The NFL's popularity is going up every single year but I don't think many people would argue that the quality of the product is necessarily doing the same.

If it's growing, it would stand to reason that a majority think the quality is still good, if not increasing. Yeah ... some of the die hard crazy fans might complain about the game being softened, but the average fan is loving every minute. Same here. Poeple like the product their being given. Top loaded teams and all.

As someone else posted. We loves our greats and we love to follow their greatness.

I gave reasons as to why it's in decline. Growing popularity doesn't mean shit. I can list countless products of extremely low quality that are vastly popular. Obviously this is all subjective, but there are rational arguments to be made as to why the NBA is turning into an inferior product. I mean c'mon, the Miami Heat quite literally just proved you can buy a championship. They have zero depth, are lacking in the two most important positions in the sport, and it still doesn't matter. Who needs to build a talented team? Just buy a few all-stars and become a Super Team!

If it's so easy, why aren't more teams doing it? Don't tell me "large market" teams get all the good players all while Darko gets paid huge. If it's just market / size that disctates a teams success, why can't the Knicks get out of their perpetual climb to mediocrity?

If your teams sucks, you should probably look to your owner / GM / FO first.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
As long as teams like OKC and San Antonio can get to the top I'll have hope that it can be replicated. That's all I need.

tank so hard, draft 3 all-star caliber players, and pray to whatever god you pray to that they don't leave in 3 years.

Wait, so now Orlando will get a lottery protected pick from the Clippers, to be in the 25+ range anyway, and 2 from New Jersey in the 28+ range.

LOLOLOL.

Wait..Why would Orlando rather have the 25th pick in the draft over Marshawn Brooks to begin with? None of this makes sense.

This deal is so terrible for Orlando it has to be a joke. For christ's sake, the Lakers at least got a Prime Odom and young Caron Butler out of the Shaq deal. Orlando is getting max contract Brook Lopez and 3 throwaway picks.

Wait, so now Orlando will get a lottery protected pick from the Clippers, to be in the 25+ range anyway, and 2 from New Jersey in the 28+ range.

LOLOLOL.

Wait..Why would Orlando rather have the 25th pick in the draft over Marshawn Brooks to begin with? None of this makes sense.

This deal is so terrible for Orlando it has to be a joke. For christ's sake, the Lakers at least got a Prime Odom and young Caron Butler out of the Shaq deal. Orlando is getting max contract Brook Lopez and 3 throwaway picks.

The appeal of the Lakers’ potential package for Bynum has also been diminished with Los Angeles sending its 2013 and 2015 first-round draft picks to the Phoenix Suns in the Steve Nash sign-and-trade deal. The NBA doesn’t allow teams to trade first-round picks in consecutive years, so the Lakers can’t offer Orlando their 2014 and 2016 first-round picks.

Having super teams like the Heat is good for the league. People will tune in even if they hate them because everyone wants to see them lose. In the 80s, when everyone says was the "golden age" of the NBA, the Lakers and their super team went to EIGHT fucking Finals. If LeBron, Wade and Bosh were each leading mediocre mid-market teams, nobody would give a fuck.

And? It's still better than paying Lopez max and getting 3 inconsequential picks.

The Lakers picks wouldn't matter, either.

The worst picks in the NBA draft are picks 25-32 because they suck and are guaranteed. Rather have pick #33-40. Makes no fucking sense.

Lottery picks are worth something. Mid to high 20s are not.

Having super teams like the Heat is good for the league. People will tune in even if they hate them because everyone wants to see them lose. In the 80s, when everyone says was the "golden age" of the NBA, the Lakers and their super team went to EIGHT fucking Finals. If LeBron, Wade and Bosh were each leading mediocre mid-market teams, nobody would give a fuck.

No, no, let them have their fantasy of the lockout being anything more than small-market teams being mad and wanting more money.

diehard

Fleer

It's good for the fair-weather fans and casual viewers.

to put it another way, its good for your average Laker fan.

Dunno if Dwight would leave, but I agree Dallas could offer a better package of picks and don't try to dump haywood on them.

This whole thing seems just so stupid.

I feel bad for Orlando when you see what a team like Denver was able to get when they were going to lose their star. The soon to be Orlando Tragic.

Branduil

Dunno if Dwight would leave, but I agree Dallas could offer a better package of picks and don't try to dump haywood on them.

This whole thing seems just so stupid.

Roddy, Brendan Wright, all three of our draft picks this year, a later draft pick, trade Marion to a third team for another pick, for Dwight, Hedo, and JRich.

Still better than the Nets deal.

Roddy, Brendan Wright, all three of our draft picks this year, a later draft pick, trade Marion to a third team for another pick, for Dwight, Hedo, and JRich.

You could load up the Trade Machine, put a blindfold on and randomly click shit and come up with a better deal than the Nets deal.

Agree. And if I'm Cuban, I do that deal in a heartbeat over the Nets trade.

squicken

I think what will change are the dynamics of the league. In the 80s, Denver filled its arena even though they were just playoff fodder. I think going forward fans aren't going to be interested in their star-less local team. If that happens then teams are going to be a lot less interested in fielding competitive non-contenders.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
My statement is in regards to hard cap being the only thing that would prevent super teams and make the league good again. The players are the ones that would refuse such an installment which is why I made that comment. Why would they refuse a hard cap? Greed.

How long have you been watching the NBA? Not long or you're delusional. One or the other.

When Boston was in the finals 12 out of 13 years? Winning 11 of them.

When the Lakers were in the Finals 9 out of 12 years? They won 1, Boston had their number.

Or the other time the Lakers were in the Finals 9 out of 12 years? Winning 5 of them.

Bulls going 6 out 8 Finals in a row? Winning 6 of titles?

How bout the recent span of 2000-2010 where the where the title was won all but 3 times by either San Antonio or LA?

Parity is a fucking myth.

If it's so easy, why aren't more teams doing it? Don't tell me "large market" teams get all the good players all while Darko gets paid huge. If it's just market / size that disctates a teams success, why can't the Knicks get out of their perpetual climb to mediocrity?

If your teams sucks, you should probably look to your owner / GM / FO first.

No doubt that a bad GM or owner can still screw your team over, that doesn't change that it's a fact that the big market teams have a MASSIVE advantage towards buying all-stars. It's completely false to say every team in the league would have an equal chance of doing so, even if they all had amazing GM's and owners.

z4c.png

No doubt that a bad GM or owner can still screw your team over, that doesn't change that it's a fact that the big market teams have a MASSIVE advantage towards buying all-stars. It's completely false to say every team in the league would have an equal chance of doing so, even if they all had amazing GM's and owners.

Then right below you ....

Most stars with great supporting casts don't leave their teams.

No way Lebron would have left Cleavland had they actually built a team around him. The new CBA's bird rights will help small market teams hold onto the assets they aquire from the draft as well.

I don't think the advantage is as massive as you would like to think. OTher than LA, NY, BOS and CHI what large market teams are there? Miami is just a beach city with no taxes. CHI and NY haven't been relevant in years.

For that matter, why is the east always crappy in comarison to the west? I think west had 3 of the 4 top seeds last year come from small markets. SA, OKC and MEM. It would seem to me that the east has more large market teams in general.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Get used to that 7pts 10 rebounds st line Pacer fans, thats pretty much what you'll get from Miles. In fact, if you can count on him for 7-8pts a game, you're doing better than we did. He can board though.

How long have you been watching the NBA? Not long or you're delusional. One or the other.

When Boston was in the finals 12 out of 13 years? Winning 11 of them.

When the Lakers were in the Finals 9 out of 12 years? They won 1, Boston had their number.

Or the other time the Lakers were in the Finals 9 out of 12 years? Winning 5 of them.

Bulls going 6 out 8 Finals in a row? Winning 6 of titles?

How bout the recent span of 2000-2010 where the where the title was won all but 3 times by either San Antonio or LA?

Parity is a fucking myth.
I wasn't around for the LA Boston rivalry, the 90's were the golden age for me. Despite the Bulls dominance, there were a number of great teams in that era and it felt like some had a chance of toppling the Bulls at times. The good teams were well built all around including the Bulls, as opposed to the bullshit that the Heat are today. They built well balanced teams, they didn't buy a few all-starts all at once and transform overnight. There were some great rivalries all around the league to enjoy whereas now it's just I wonder who could possibly topple the Heat this year? There really is a difference if you feel or believe all teams have a change during the season as opposed to right now when you wonder if any team has any chance in hell of toppling Miami and the only hope are teams that are doing the same bullshit like Brooklyn. OKC is the one exception.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
No way Lebron would have left Cleavland had they actually built a team around him. The new CBA's bird rights will help small market teams hold onto the assets they aquire from the draft as well.

No one was coming to CLE in FA in the first place (since they did not know if Lebron was staying or leaving) so that forced them into making shitty trades for Larry Hughes (who Lebron wanted)/Shaq/etc with a win now or Lebron's gone way of thinking. Pick ~20 draft picks did fuck all as well.

0061_vio1.gif

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I wasn't around for the LA Boston rivalry, the 90's were the golden age for me. Despite the Bulls dominance, there were a number of great teams in that era and it felt like some had a chance of toppling the Bulls at times. The good teams were well built all around including the Bulls, as opposed to the bullshit that the Heat are today. They built well balanced teams, they didn't buy a few all-starts all at once and transform overnight. There were some great rivalries all around the league to enjoy whereas now it's just I wonder who could possibly topple the Heat this year? There really is a difference if you feel or believe all teams have a change during the season as opposed to right now when you wonder if any team has any chance in hell of toppling Miami and the only hope are teams that are doing the same bullshit like Brooklyn. OKC is the one exception.

If Howard and Rose didn't go down, who knows? Miami barely made it to the finals.

The Lakers, OKC, Chicago (w/ Rose), Brooklyn, Clippers.. all can contend.

Name a year that there was really more than 6 serious contenders?

SamuraiX-

This Philly Summer League roster has done an amazing job of maintaining the team's philosophical fuckball tradition.

Knux in tears of joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom