• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuC

It was either him or Tyshawn Taylor doing the heavy lifting in Kansas.

Depending on where he goes that probably wont change much, if he's in Charlotte or Washington they'll still need him to score a lot. I just can't see him doing it at a high level, especially if he's not paired with a PG to play off of.

Mothman91

I'm hoping the Bobcats take Robinson...and then we take MKG. Next thing is a 2 guard, and we have two picks in the second round. Hopefully we can pick one up in there.

Canuck76

Banned
Nobody wants to gamble on Leonard or Drummond.

MKG is the best player in the draft behind Davis. Portland needs a wing and a good young point guard. It'd probably take a little extra love from our side in the tone of your future pick back or something, but it makes sense.

.....I kind of want to roll the dice on Drummond. Portland got totally screwed last time by not taking Bynum and most centers are dice rolls anyways. Go look at Roy Hibberts stats from college. It's not good.

He doesn't even need to be a 15+ pt guy for us any way. All we need our center to do is block shots, play good D and rebound. After 2 years of plenty of playing time i doubt he'll be clueless in the offense.

That whole trade makes sense but it's not going to help this team. A team of D.J., M.K.G., Mathews, and L.A. with an old center makes it to the second round at best. Say we have a miracle and sign hibbert, maybe WCF, finals wouldn't happen..

At that point you might as well just completely cash out now and trade L.A. for picks and start the whole thing over. We need to be taking gambles and going for broke or else we'll just continue to tread water.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
.....I kind of want to roll the dice on Drummond. Portland got totally screwed last time by not taking Bynum and most centers are dice rolls anyways. Go look at Roy Hibberts stats from college. It's not good.

He doesn't even need to be a 15+ pt guy for us any way. All we need our center to do is block shots, play good D and rebound. After 2 years of plenty of playing time i doubt he'll be clueless in the offense.

That whole trade makes sense but it's not going to help this team. A team of D.J., M.K.G., Mathews, and L.A. with an old center makes it to the second round at best. Say we have a miracle and sign hibbert, maybe WCF, finals wouldn't happen..

At that point you might as well just completely cash out now and trade L.A. for picks and start the whole thing over. We need to be taking gambles and going for broke or else we'll just continue to tread water.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless Portland trades Jamal Crawford for LBJ, they're not going to the Finals next year.

There is no magical trade that fixes all of your problems overnight (unless you're LA) but you can definitely put yourself in a position to be closer.

Let me clarify another thing too. Hibbert could ball in college. He was arguably the best big in America and he had a versatile game as well as the awareness that you need from a keystone big. Drummond? He's a hyper athletic Ryan Hollins - and rarely is that kind of stupid fixable. People who say "he's not that bad" have yet to see him airball hook shots against no-name directional schools from bumfuck, nowhere while being guarded by people half his size. He's not even a good rebounder. But Drummond's biggest fault is that he is timid. He shies away from contact like he's not the biggest man on the court. That is HARD to fix. LMA still doesn't like to bang and he's been in the league for 5+ years.

Drummond is a physical guarantee - but if he were to surpass Hansborough, that'd shock me.

Drummond isn't going to be ready to help a team win for like three or four years at least if he ever does develop at all. Makes no sense for Portland with LMA in his prime.

Desperately hoping T-Rob measures out at 6'10...

Edit: Interview with Wall

Dude sounds a lottttt more mature than when he came into the league.

He wants a 2 or a 3 guard, which makes sense but is kinda sad because we're using Book as an SF and drafted Ves and Singleton as SF's...smh.

benjipwns

Banned
I posted this in the playoff thread, but incase any loserbros are hanging out here only thought I would repost:

If you wanted to get into some mods or whatever on PC, NBA 2K12 is $10 on Amazon for either their download service or a Steam key this weekend: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ODQC1O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Online is fucked of course, but if you want to try out all the mods out there or kill time during the offseason with My Player or what have you this is a pretty good deal.

diehard

Fleer
can someone translate this for me
Just finished taking Utah Jazz big man Enes Kanter through his initial assessment at P3. Enes is an absolute beast, and at age 20 already one of the strongest NBA players that we have tested. His lower extremity bilateral force characteristics are very symmetrical in dynamic movement....Enes takes too long to reach peak force and needs to improve his hip extension, lower extremity power/acceleration and eccentric adaptation. He also reaches instead of drives when accelerating in all planes. We are very confident that we can improve these qualities, and enable Enes to become a much more explosive athlete on the basketball court.

benjipwns

Banned
I probably can't, but I read that as he doesn't react quickly and his movements are too slow, but that they think he can improve greatly with work.

I posted this in the playoff thread, but incase any loserbros are hanging out here only thought I would repost:

If you wanted to get into some mods or whatever on PC, NBA 2K12 is $10 on Amazon for either their download service or a Steam key this weekend: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ODQC1O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Online is fucked of course, but if you want to try out all the mods out there or kill time during the offseason with My Player or what have you this is a pretty good deal.

I got the Brooklyn Nets mod

pretty sweet

I really hope they improve the shitty PA audio...it is a joke. do what live did before it crashed and burned and use actual audio clips from the nba :(

abuC

Desperately hoping T-Rob measures out at 6'10...

120530_lottery_06.jpg

charsace

He's got more offensive potential down low than any other top 10 prospect. Definitely more than Sullinger.

Leonard has the most offensive potential of any post up player in the draft. Dude is 7'1, has a decent post up game, midrange jumper and is a decent passer.

The problem Leonard had is that he played with the worst guards in college basket ball who were more concerned with trying to get their own numbers, and in the process played themselves out of NBA consideration.

Leonard has the most offensive potential of any post up player in the draft. Dude is 7'1, has a decent post up game, midrange jumper and is a decent passer.

The problem Leonard had is that he played with the worst guards in college basket ball who were more concerned with trying to get their own numbers, and in the process played themselves out of NBA consideration.

Zeller has all of those things too, he's just *gasp* a senior. Which means he has reached his peak and will never get better from here on out.

Perry Jones reading from a piece of paper than his agent got apparently...talking about how he was timid in college because he wasn't used well and deferred to guys who were trying to get their own numbers. He is suddenly "seeing the light" and playing with confidence now.

SMH

That picture of T-Rob, Drummond and Barnes kinda has me thinking about Barnes...dude looks almost as tall as Drummond in that pic..wtf?

Perry Jones reading from a piece of paper than his agent got apparently...talking about how he was timid in college because he wasn't used well and deferred to guys who were trying to get their own numbers. He is suddenly "seeing the light" and playing with confidence now.

SMH

That picture of T-Rob, Drummond and Barnes kinda has me thinking about Barnes...dude looks almost as tall as Drummond in that pic..wtf?

Accept it.

Barnes Future.

All that karma from teasing DY will come back to get you.

SMH

I don't get why everyone is saying that Jones wasn't allowed to do what he should do by Baylor. I mean, before Jones got to Baylor, they had Ekpe Udoh doing a ton of perimeter stuff from center.

So

Drummond - 6'9
Barnes - 6'8
Robinson 6'6

??

Unless Barnes is really 6'9. Otherwise looks grim for Robinson.

Drummond is probably 6'11, Barnes is probably 6'8 (his long head makes him look almost as tall as Drummond) and Robinson looks 6'7 and a half or 6'8 if Barnes is closer to 6'9

I don't get why everyone is saying that Jones wasn't allowed to do what he should do by Baylor. I mean, before Jones got to Baylor, they had Ekpe Udoh doing a ton of perimeter stuff from center.

Lacedarius Dunn

Never forget

pilonv1

Drummond is probably 6'11, Barnes is probably 6'8 (his long head makes him look almost as tall as Drummond) and Robinson looks 6'7 and a half or 6'8 if Barnes is closer to 6'9

There's not more than 2" difference between Drummond and Barnes there though.

Lacedarius Dunn

Never forget

How dare you disrespect Tweety Carter like that.

abuC

There's not more than 2" difference between Drummond and Barnes there though.

How dare you disrespect Tweety Carter like that.

Barnes is slightly closer to the camera, where as T.Rob and Drummond are practically touching the wall.

Also, it wouldn't shock me if Drummond is 6"10, and Barnes is 6"9 ish.

Gabyskra

Banned
Yes, he's standing farther back than Barnes. Perspective. Robinson's build is one of a higher jumping Boozer. I'm not worried. Probably at worse a tad under 6'8' without shoes. Some of you guys would have never even given the time of the day to Barkley. I don't know how many stiffs it's going to take for you to stop mentioning how you would prefer underachiever seven footers, it's comical.

Robinson being arguably the best rebounder in basketball is pretty encouraging. If he measures at 6'9 that makes him comparable to J-Smoove with better offensive potential and worse defense, which is pretty good.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Cousins lmao

So, Jimmer got married, and Cousins tweeted...

@boogiecousins said:
congrats to my homie @jimmerfredette and his big day ...also his big night!! Haha

IWTMB what can you tell me about Moe Harkless

Heard some rumblings that his workout went pretty good at Orlando and that he may be there guy but checking out swishscout he looks like a less stupid Earl Clark :|

abuC

Yes, he's standing farther back than Barnes. Perspective. Robinson's build is one of a higher jumping Boozer. I'm not worried. Probably at worse a tad under 6'8' without shoes. Some of you guys would have never even given the time of the day to Barkley. I don't know how many stiffs it's going to take for you to stop mentioning how you would prefer underachiever seven footers, it's comical.

Standing reach will be very important for Robinson, if his reach is around 8"10 to 9"0 he'll be able to get away with being 6"7 ish.

IWTMB what can you tell me about Moe Harkless

Heard some rumblings that his workout went pretty good at Orlando and that he may be there guy but checking out swishscout he looks like a less stupid Earl Clark :|

I didn't watch him play that much this year.

From everything I've heard about him and the little I saw, he seems like he'll be pretty good eventually. Players who play hard, are athletic, play defense, and seem fairly smart generally turn out good I think. Stats other than his efficiency seem inflated by his teammates sucking though.

Canuck76

Banned
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless Portland trades Jamal Crawford for LBJ, they're not going to the Finals next year.

There is no magical trade that fixes all of your problems overnight (unless you're LA) but you can definitely put yourself in a position to be closer.

Let me clarify another thing too. Hibbert could ball in college. He was arguably the best big in America and he had a versatile game as well as the awareness that you need from a keystone big. Drummond? He's a hyper athletic Ryan Hollins - and rarely is that kind of stupid fixable. People who say "he's not that bad" have yet to see him airball hook shots against no-name directional schools from bumfuck, nowhere while being guarded by people half his size. He's not even a good rebounder. But Drummond's biggest fault is that he is timid. He shies away from contact like he's not the biggest man on the court. That is HARD to fix. LMA still doesn't like to bang and he's been in the league for 5+ years.

Drummond is a physical guarantee - but if he were to surpass Hansborough, that'd shock me.

Certainly no, i don't expect to be past the first round for at least 2 seasons no matter what move we make.

With the Hibbert stuff i admit, didn't watch his college game. I'm just giving some stats to put it in perspective. As for all that criticism i hear you. But look at L.M.A. Look at a picture of him from draft day and a picture of him now. It's a night and day difference. Dude's a mcbeefy supreme power forward now where he was much more timid when he wasn't getting a ton of touches and early in his career. A similar argument could be made for Drummond and how little he was used in college. Certainly he needs to work on his shot, but i see him get deep post position as well.

I think if he went to the wizards or some messed up situation i could totally seeing him be the next Javale mcfail but Portland is a much different culture. Everyone really wants to wash the failure of last season out of there mouths from last season.. If L.A wasn't rehabbing i think he'd be in the gym. Wesley will play summer league and Batum knows he needs to step up. Drummond coming in and wussing out in games won't be tolerated.

It's a gamble I'm way happier to take than MKG and D.J. at the end of the day. It's also possible we take Lenoard and Beal or whoever falls to #6.

Also I'm a bit disappointed Chad didn't get the GM job. When you swing Gerald Wallace for a #6 pick you should really be rewarded. Dude has been a pro throughout and I'd flip my lid if he takes that vacant Clippers job.

Phew, just saw that we locked up Bynum.

Phew? What? What a terrible move. Lakers are going to play this idiot 16 million dollars when he refuses to grow the fuck up? Terrible. Lakers are refusing to move on which is exactly what they need to do. We're not winning anything with this squad. Certainly not doing anything to Oklahoma or San Antonio. This is going to be our immediate future with stupid Buss at the helm.

abuC

Phew? What? What a terrible move. Lakers are going to play this idiot 16 million dollars when he refuses to grow the fuck up? Terrible. Lakers are refusing to move on which is exactly what they need to do. We're not winning anything with this squad. Certainly not doing anything to Oklahoma or San Antonio. This is going to be our immediate future with stupid Buss at the helm.

Are they supposed to just let him walk? For all you know they move him at the trade deadline, the fact is that if they let him walk they'd get nothing in return and would still be over the cap. Keeping him for now allows you to deal Pau from a position of power, you can get better offers for Pau if you still have Bynum around, without that teams would low ball them since they'd have no other frontcourt option.

linsivvi

It's just a one year extension, which they would be stupid not to exercise. Even if you became the GM of the Lakers you would still do that move so you would have until the trade deadline to move him for assets.

In fact, I consider it a good sign that they didn't stupidly give him a new contract, which they would if they wanted to lock him up long term.

The problem with the Lakers is Kobe's no trade clause. He's untouchable and he knows it. He can say and do as he pleases with no recourse. Team will only go as far as Kobe can, no matter who you bring in.

Fox318

The problem with the Lakers is Kobe's no trade clause. He's untouchable and he knows it. He can say and do as he pleases with no recourse. Team will only go as far as Kobe can, no matter who you bring in.

Kobe for CP3 and Blake.

Kobe gets another 3peat with a LA team.

pilonv1

Let the games begin!

Best Case/Worst Case NBA comparisons have been added to the DraftExpress profiles of all of the top prospects in the 2012 NBA Draft.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1wvl2BszV
http://www.draftexpress.com

Drummond
Best Case: Serge Ibaka
Worst Case: DeAndre Jordan

MKG
Best Case: Andre Iguodala
Worst Case: Gerald Wallace

Beal
Best Case: Eric Gordon
Worst Case: Gary Neal

Robinson
Best Case: Al Horford
Worst Case: Reggie Evans

Rivers
Best Case: O.J. Mayo
Worst Case: Jerryd Bayless

Barnes
Best Case: Luol Deng
Worst Case: 6-8 Arron Afflalo

Lillard
Best Case: George Hill
Worst Case: Ronnie Price

J.Lamb
Best Case: Kevin Martin
Worst Case: Rashad McCants

Don't get Robinsons at all, never saw any Al Horford in him. Barnes worst case is ridiculous, he's not that good a defender.

Are they supposed to just let him walk? For all you know they move him at the trade deadline, the fact is that if they let him walk they'd get nothing in return and would still be over the cap. Keeping him for now allows you to deal Pau from a position of power, you can get better offers for Pau if you still have Bynum around, without that teams would low ball them since they'd have no other frontcourt option.

It's just a one year extension, which they would be stupid not to exercise. Even if you became the GM of the Lakers you would still do that move so you would have until the trade deadline to move him for assets.

In fact, I consider it a good sign that they didn't stupidly give him a new contract, which they would if they wanted to lock him up long term.

You have more faith in Jim Buss than I do. Jim Buss is in love with Bynum as being the centerpiece of the Lakers franchise going forward. That hasn't changed nor will it anytime soon. Buss it he exact type of guy who will give Bynum a max contract extension.

abuC

You have more faith in Jim Buss than I do. Jim Buss is in love with Bynum as being the centerpiece of the Lakers franchise going forward. That hasn't changed nor will it anytime soon. Buss it he exact type of guy who will give Bynum a max contract extension.

Letting Bynum go for nothing in return would be a huge mistake.

Letting Bynum go for nothing in return would be a huge mistake.

I am not in favor of doing that. I am referring to Buss seeing Bynum as the future of the Lakers franchise and what it means for our chances of getting back to a championship level. You obviously don't let Bynum walk away but if Buss wants to extend Bynum and not trade him for something that will truly lead us back to success, I don't even know what to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom