• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck76

Banned
Would Sac take Drummond at #5? I'm wary of taking him but at the same time i'd be nice to have him there at 6.

I doubt they would. If i were Sac i'd take Sully and put him at the 4. He doesn't seem tall enough to play C.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Interesting take by reporter in the actual lottery room
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2012/05/inside_the_nba_draft_lottery_s.html

NEW YORK, N.Y. -- Nick Gilbert was featured prominently in the Disney/ABC Times Square Studio that housed the NBA lottery drawing on Wednesday night.

A large photograph of him thrusting his fist into the air after winning the lottery last year was hung prominently in the collection of uniform jerseys and photographs that served as a backdrop for last night's televised proceedings.

Unfortunately for the Cavaliers and their fans, there won't be a similar picture of the 15-year-old son of Cavs owner Dan Gilbert next year. The Cavs dropped from third to fourth in the lottery as a result of the New Orleans Hornets winning the No. 1 spot, followed by Charlotte and Washington.

The Cavs and Hornets actually tied for the third-worst record in the league last season at 21-45, and the Cavs won a coin flip after the season to break that tie. Had they lost the coin flip -- or won one more game to drop behind New Orleans -- they'd have owned the combination that won the lottery on Wednesday.

"Oh, so close," said Cavs vice chairman Jeff Cohen, who was in the room for the drawing as he was last year.

I was in the room, too, just like last year. But this time I was the only reporter covering the Cavs who was present, along with a reporter from the Bay Area and one from Sports Illustrated.The room, of course, was totally different.

Last year we were in the NBA Entertainment Studio in Secaucus, N.J. This year we were in the studio that normally houses "Good Morning America," just a few steps off Times Square. There actually were two studios used for Wednesday's televised lottery.

Cohen and I were in one studio with representatives of all the lottery teams except the Milwaukee Bucks, along with a handful of NBA executives and security guards, maybe a total of 30 people. All of us surrendered our phones, pagers, computers and any communications devices upon entering.

The NBA executives were seated at five round glass tables. Cohen was seated with Dell Demps, general manager of the winning Hornets. The right side of the room was dominated by eight large charts on easels, containing the 1,000 possible draft combinations divided among the 14 lottery teams. The left side of the room featured a large flat screen television and a kitchen, along with snacks, coffee, water and soft drinks.

The front of the room featured the photographs and jerseys, as well as a podium holding a briefcase labeled "NBA Draft Lottery." It contained the 14 balls used in the drawing, as well as the hopper they were placed in. Lou DiSabatino, NBA vice president of events and attractions, placed the balls in the machine one by one, mixed then for 20 seconds and then drew out the first winning combination: 6-4-9-7.

When the Hornets were announced as the holders of that combination, Demps celebrated with a small fist pump -- and a cup of decaf coffee. Cohen said the Cavs were one ball away. They had 6-4-9-3.

The drawing was repeated and Charlotte won the No. 2 pick with a combination of 8-1-11-5. New Orleans won the third pick so, as stipulated by the rules, there was a redraw. Charlotte won, so there was a second redraw, with Washington eventually winning the No. 3 pick with a combination of 13-7-3-2. According to Cohen, the Cavs had 13-7-3-4 and 13-7-3-5.

The five drawings took about 10 minutes. Then came the 75-minute wait in lockdown until we were allowed into the second studio that housed the NBA representatives who were shown on camera during the lottery show, including Nick and Dan Gilbert, and Rookie of the Year Kyrie Irving -- all in bow ties.

The Cavs tried to remain upbeat, but couldn't hide their disappointment.

"I came in thinking we were going to win," said Cohen, who also wore a bow tie. "I thought we had a pretty good chance."

abuC

120530_draft_offer_main.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-...practically-giving-away-season-tickets-2012-5

Wow.

If I lived in NC I'd do that in a heartbeat.

LMA says he nearly died in the last week because a virus, wtf.

Hey Blazers fans. I write this post with a lot of thankfulness and gratitude. My first rehab is going well. I'm officially walking and no longer need to use crutches at all. I’m getting my mobility back and have started some strengthening activity.

But, this past week was a very scary one for me. On Saturday I came down with a blood virus. I quickly became sick and had to be rushed to the hospital. I thought it was a case of bad food or a bad cold, but I was wrong. It turned out to be a very serious virus that if not treated quickly could actually be deadly! One thing I know for sure is that I’ve never felt worse in my life and there were times I wasn’t really sure where I was going. Thankfully I had a lot of family support and great medical care that helped me fight through it and now I’ve turned the corner and I’m feeling much better.

I know it was God ultimately that decided my fate and looked out for me to make sure I got healed. I'm truly thankful for still being here and being able to do functions like walk, talk and open my eyes as those things were hard to do during that time. Never take your health for granted. Good health is a true blessing. Have a great weekend and I’ll check in next week.

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingd...-bout-with-blood=1&blockID=718096&feedID=8351

pilonv1

I don't really want Felton back. He played substantially worse than any other starting point guard in the league last year.

But I'm really hoping that we manage to swing #2 and DJ for #6 and #11. That'd be winning. Even if it meant we still end up taking Barnes.

Who do you want at 11 though? 6 and 11 could result in Barnes and worst Zeller.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Who do you want at 11 though? 6 and 11 could result in Barnes and worst Zeller.

I think we could get Lamb and Terrence Jones in the first round.

That'd be bigger than right off the bat than MKG imo.

DY_nasty

Not Sullinger?

I think Sullinger's stock is going to fall pretty bad after his final four game. I like him, I do, but its really a toss up. I don't think Sullinger will be there at #11 and I definitely wouldn't take him in the top 6.

Gabyskra

Banned
The more tape I watch from the top 10 players in the upcoming draft, the more I believe that Thomas Robinson will be a star. Let the Bobcats get MKG and his ugly jumpshot, and the Wizards will have the local kid to put alongside Wall and Nene.

Okay, fantasy scenario.
Washington should really follow that plan:
- draft Thomas Robinson
- Amnesty Andray Blatche
- try to trade Rashard Lewis or let his contract run out in 2013
- exercise their team option on Wall, Vesely, Seraphin, Chris Singleton, Travis Booker & Jordan Crawford.

They'd pay less than 40M, enough room under the 58M salary cap to offer a MAX deal. Go after Josh Smith.

PG: John Wall
SG: Jordan Crawford
SF: Josh Smith
PF: Thomas Robinson
C: Nene

Would Sac take Drummond at #5? I'm wary of taking him but at the same time i'd be nice to have him there at 6.

I doubt they would. If i were Sac i'd take Sully and put him at the 4. He doesn't seem tall enough to play C.

most mocks I've looked at have the Kings taking Drummond which is horrible for them. They already have Cousins and a project center would get his minutes smothered. Would be a waste of a pick. They need a PG and should have Marshall as priority even if they have to reach for him. That or trade down, but if reaching is what it takes, they should do it. Would improve the team by a lot.

Then, if Tyreke isn't a franchise player they should trade him for a top 15 pick this year. Draft one of the wing players available and find a way to get rid of the other wings they've collected.

The more tape I watch from the top 10 players in the upcoming draft, the more I believe that Thomas Robinson will be a star. Let the Bobcats get MKG and his ugly jumpshot, and the Wizards will have the local kid to put alongside Wall and Nene.

Okay, fantasy scenario.
- draft Thomas Robinson
- Amnesty Andray Blatche
- exercise their team option on Wall, Vesely, Seraphin, Chris Singleton, Travis Booker & Jordan Crawford.

They'd pay less than 40M, enough room under the 58M salary cap to offer a MAX deal. Go after Josh Smith.

Spacing would be horrible cause none of them can shoot.

charsace

Shabazz looks like he'll be good. I don't get the Harden comaprisons at all though. To me the kid has more a sf game than a sg game.

Gabyskra said:

That would be a talented starting lineup, but it's not a complete team roster. Here's what I hope the Bobcats will put on the court in two years:

1 - Jarett Jack, Kemba Walker
2 - Shabazz Muhammad, Gerald Henderson
3 - Marvin Williams, Darius Miller
4 - Thomas Robinson, Tyrus Thomas
5 - Bismack Biyombo, Byron Mullens

All it will take is a little luck in next year's lottery to land Muhammad and bringing in Williams and Jack next year in free agency, which we could easily do with our cap space. I'm not sure how good this team could end up being, but it's lightyears ahead of what we've got on the roster now.

Edit: Alternately, if we draft MKG instead of Robinson we could go after Al Jefferson in free agency instead of Marvin Williams. It would make it a lot harder for us to bring in another good PG though.

Your boy Rivers doesn't even play hard tho.

Who needs to play hard when you got swag?

Seriously Austin Rivers always seems like the guy on the court that thinks he's the best thing ever and the only reason he's not playing well is because it's an off day..not the fact that he dribbled into a fadeaway long two...

so basically.

Future Sixer.

FAIL!

There's a joke to be made about the execution of pheeknicks' post and LeBron James in the 4th, but it's the wrong thread to make that kind of post.

Canuck76

Banned
I don't really want Felton back. He played substantially worse than any other starting point guard in the league last year.

But I'm really hoping that we manage to swing #2 and DJ for #6 and #11. That'd be winning. Even if it meant we still end up taking Barnes.

Why would Portland do that though? I don't think our FO loves anyone enough in this draft to move up. Beal or MKG i don't think would be worth it. Trading our pick that we got for Gerald (basically for free) and our own into one just seems like a total waste, when we could gamble on Drummond or Lenard (or just best player there really) and get a Kendall Marshall or whichever SG falls to 11.

By the way we should do a mock draft or something and rep our teams

Who needs to play hard when you got swag?

Seriously Austin Rivers always seems like the guy on the court that thinks he's the best thing ever and the only reason he's not playing well is because it's an off day..not the fact that he dribbled into a fadeaway long two...

so basically.

Future Sixer.

Don't worry he's much more likely to dribble into a 28 foot jumper (and he's got one of those Lebronesque "natural fadeaway/fade for no reason/fade to show off" jumpers) or dribble into four people waiting for him in the lane and get called for a charge/turn the ball over.

Yeah he'll fit in well with the Sixers.

DY_nasty

Why would Portland do that though? I don't think our FO loves anyone enough in this draft to move up. Beal or MKG i don't think would be worth it. Trading our pick that we got for Gerald (basically for free) and our own into one just seems like a total waste, when we could gamble on Drummond or Lenard (or just best player there really) and get a Kendall Marshall or whichever SG falls to 11.

By the way we should do a mock draft or something and rep our teams
Nobody wants to gamble on Leonard or Drummond.

MKG is the best player in the draft behind Davis. Portland needs a wing and a good young point guard. It'd probably take a little extra love from our side in the tone of your future pick back or something, but it makes sense.

Don't worry he's much more likely to dribble into a 28 foot jumper (and he's got one of those Lebronesque "natural fadeaway/fade for no reason/fade to show off" jumpers) or dribble into four people waiting for him in the lane and get called for a charge/turn the ball over.

Yeah he'll fit in well with the Sixers.

Doug Collins' son is an assistant coach at Duke.

And bringing in another 2 guard would also fuck with Turner.

It will happen.

MKG is the best player in the draft behind Davis. Portland needs a wing and a good young point guard. It'd probably take a little extra love from our side in the tone of your future pick back or something, but it makes sense.
I think MKG is a rich man's Ronnie Brewer with the hitch and all. He's got better ball handling and a willingness to post up. Offensively gifted in transition, but lacks a jump shot in the half court. He'll be a good wing player especially as a lock down defensive player, but not a guy to build around I think. Spending a #2 draft pick on him is too much. I like Thomas Robinson much more and he's the BPA.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Evan Turner has shown nothing to warrant not bringing in legitimate competition to take his playing time. Nothing at all. If Austin Rivers was there for there pick then why the hell not? Not like he's going to have put up much production to actually be better.

Okay, fantasy scenario.
- draft Thomas Robinson
- Amnesty Andray Blatche

Would honestly rather not see Jordan Crawford on this team at all next year. He and Wall don't mesh well.

A huge NONONO to T-Rob. I was the biggest Derrick Williams dick rider here last year posting stats that showed his offensive production outpacing damn near any PF that played in college, he passed the eyetest and has a sweet jumpshot. I still think he's a player, but with D-Will and Beasley both not looking like all-stars, it's hard to say that T-Rob looked anywhere near as good as either of those guys did as freshmen/sophmores. I'm also pretty terrified that T-Rob couldn't start over the Morris twins, who are both bench players in the league right now. He's fools gold for sure, especially at 6'8 or 6'9. Between Ves, Nene, Booker and Serpahin it's almost impossible to go PF right now be it free agency or the draft.

There are a number of deals I'd be interested in entertaining though, such as Booker/Crawford for Milsap, or Milsap + a bad contract for Lewis, maybe moving Booker/Crawford for picks. Maybe Vesely/Crawford/2nd for the number 6 overall this year, allowing us to walk away with Barnes or Lamb to go alongside either MKG or Beal.

There are so many opportunities with F/A and the draft this year that Ernie has no excuses.

A swap for the 6 and 11 is a no brainer for both teams. Portland gets the opportunity to not pay Batum ridiculous money by getting MKG and the Bobcats get the depth they want.

I'm pretty sure the reason why Self started the Morris twins over Robinson is simple math.

Robinson>One Morris twin
Both Morris Twins>Robinson

Also, he went up against Sullinger, Zeller, and Davis in the tournament and held his own. He isn't fools gold, he can play. I don't love the thought of taking him at the two spot though, I'll definitely give you that.

Honestly, outside of Davis there aren't any sure fire picks in this entire draft. Sullinger is fat, MKG can't shoot, Barnes can't dribble, Beal/Robinson are too short, Drummond doesn't understand the game, Lamb/Henson are physically weak, etc.

abuC

Also, he went up against Sullinger, Zeller, and Davis in the tournament and held his own. He isn't fools gold, he can play. I don't love the thought of taking him at the two spot though, I'll definitely give you that.

I don't think he looked that good offensively in the tournament, and overall he seemed to be bothered by guys with NBA length in general all season.

He's going to rebound in the NBA, but I don't think you'll see that much offense from him.

DY_nasty

I don't think he looked that good offensively in the tournament, and overall he seemed to be bothered by guys with NBA length in general all season.

He's going to rebound in the NBA, but I don't think you'll see that much offense from him.

He's got more offensive potential down low than any other top 10 prospect. Definitely more than Sullinger.

abuC

He's got more offensive potential down low than any other top 10 prospect. Definitely more than Sullinger.

I doubt it, he really did not play well against guys who have NBA size at the 4.

6-15 against the Plumlees
6-17 against Davis
6-16 against Henson/Zeller

And he only shot above 50% one time in the tournament and that was against Detroit, he turned into a volume scorer which is something you don't want in a PF.

I think he'll be good, but not a great offensive player, he's shorter than the Morris twins too, so that 6"10 mark is way off.

DY_nasty

I doubt it, he really did not play well against guys who have NBA size at the 4.

6-15 against the Plumlees
6-17 against Davis
6-16 against Henson/Zeller

And he only shot above 50% one time in the tournament and that was against Detroit, he turned into a volume scorer which is something you don't want in a PF.
It was either him or Tyshawn Taylor doing the heavy lifting in Kansas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom