• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
IDK.

Its sounds overly intrusive and would be impossible to enforce. Seems like a waste of time.

Overly intrusive? Just as impossible as for the owners and GMs.. But at least it elimates the obvious bs that's been going on...and I promise you if they did it at least one player would have a McHale like moment

Blackace

Yeah, but its still pretty dumb trying to restrict player to player communication. If anything gets too hairy im sure stern would step in.

No it's really not dumb... Players don't need to discuss FA with one another... If they want to get paid to play basketball they follow the same guidelines as NBA teams

Overly intrusive? Just as impossible as for the owners and GMs.. But at least it elimates the obvious bs that's been going on...and I promise you if they did it at least one player would have a McHale like moment

Yes. Trying to implement the same restrictions that the fo have in regards to communicating to players is pretty damn invasive. That shit would blow-up in Sterns face.

Shinobi

Dwights 2 year cry fest and Boozer lying to a blind guy make LBJ/Bosh look like the nicest guys in the world. At least Lebron refused to talk about it and then was a douche for a week and it was fucking done with.

This.

What are you talking about? LBJ has talked about his collusion for years..

The tweet I paraphrased was LBJ's about Ray Allen...

LBJ talked about collusion for years? Really? And he still didn't get caught? Guess he's a bigger G than I thought.

Also when did Bron make the Ray Allen tweet? If it was when free agency started, then there's nothing to talk about.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
First Take is becoming a total joke. SAS and Skip both essentially agreed on the Kevin Love issue, but for some reason, SAS went nuts because they couldn't agree on just how much better Bosh is than Love, but they both agree that Bosh is better than Love. SAS then pulls out the newspaper, and starts yelling about how Skip doesn't know basketball, blah blah blah. It's become so wacky and fake now.

Blackace

This.

LBJ talked about collusion for years? Really? And he still didn't get caught? Guess he's a bigger G than I thought.

Also when did Bron make the Ray Allen tweet? If it was when free agency started, then there's nothing to talk about.

James wrote the following on Twitter: "While watching the Draft my son Bryce ask 'Is Ray Allen gonna play for the Heat'. I said 'I don't know, I hope so'."

And yes it was draft day

Shinobi

I guess technically Ray Allen was still Celtics property when Bron made that tweet. But if it was that big an issue, he would've been fined.

I guess the better question to ask is, how would Bron even have the hope that Allen would sign with the Heat? But if Allen shot Bron a text saying Miami was on his list, who are you gonna fine for collusion, the impending free agent? What was Bron supposed to do, block him?

No point making things more complicated then they are. We all know what obvious collusion is...if peeps fall on that stuff, they deserve to get nailed.

Blackace

I guess technically Ray Allen was still Celtics property when Bron made that tweet. But if it was that big an issue, he would've been fined.

I guess the better question to ask is, how would Bron even have the hope that Allen would sign with the Heat? But if Allen shot Bron a text saying Miami was on his list, who are you gonna fine for collusion, the impending free agent? What was Bron supposed to do, block him?

No point making things more complicated then they are. We all know what obvious collusion is...if peeps fall on that stuff, they deserve to get nailed.

Like I said if Cuban made the exact same tweet 75,000 fine off rip...Players should also be held to those standards..

Blackace

There's no rule saying that teams or affiliates of teams can't talk to a player of someone who is under contract for another team. Once the offseason period starts its all fair game.

No its not.. Front Offices can't do.. Because they are under contract.. They have to get permission to play hoops in the offseason..

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
There's no rule saying that teams or affiliates of teams can't talk to a player of someone who is under contract for another team. Once the offseason period starts its all fair game.

lol so you ask for the example and then go back to your old argument? Stop going in circles debate boy.

Shinobi

Peeps need to get over the summer of '08. Even if they planned everything to the last stroke, it's impossible for me to get fussed over it. NBA owners were planning to lock the players out and scrub the season (if necessary) in 2006, and nobody seems to care about that (don't get me started on the NFL owners).

So long as players are able to share agents and agencies, Twitter DM's and smartphones, they'll always be able to bounce things off each other. That's just life. All the NBA wants is that it's players don't make such things overtly obvious, because that's the only thing they can control. Everything else is just background noise.

Blackace

Aww c'mon man. I would have been all over that. First rumor was around the time wade said it would be a dream to play with Lebron

lol it discussion often.. Even when he talked about changing his number from 23 to 6 well before he was in Miami..

Blackace

Peeps need to get over the summer of '08. Even if they planned everything to the last stroke, it's impossible for me to get fussed over it. NBA owners were planning to lock the players out and scrub the season (if necessary) in 2006, and nobody seems to care about that (don't get me started on the NFL owners).

So long as players are able to share agents and agencies, Twitter DM's and smartphones, they'll always be able to bounce things off each other. That's just life. All the NBA wants is that it's players don't make such things overtly obvious, because that's the only thing they can control. Everything else is just background noise.

Oh I agree... But it's too obvious with the players just hold them to same standards..

Shinobi

There was FAR more speculation from 2008 on that Bron was destined for the Big Apple, just because he wore Knicks-coloured Nikes and Yankee caps. The New York-based media pretty much had that shit rubber stamped in their minds. They certainly didn't care about Cleveland's feelings back then.

For that matter, they did the same thing with Vince Carter in 2000 as well. I ain't forgot.

Blackace

There was FAR more speculation from 2008 on that Bron was destined for the Big Apple, just because he wore Knicks-coloured Nikes and Yankee caps. The New York-based media pretty much had that shit rubber stamped in their minds. They certainly didn't care about Cleveland's feelings back then.

For that matter, they did the same thing with Vince Carter in 2000 as well. I ain't forgot.

In 2009 when he started rebranding himself for his move to Miami is was discussed a lot and looking back its quite obivious

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.nbpa.org/sites/default/files/ARTICLE XIV.pdf
Section 1. No Collusion.
Subject to Section 2 below, no NBA Team, its employees or agents, will enter into any
contracts, combinations or conspiracies, express or implied, with the NBA or any other NBA
Team, their employees or agents: (a) to negotiate or not to negotiate with any Veteran or Rookie;
(b) to submit or not to submit an Offer Sheet to any Restricted Free Agent; (c) to offer or not to
offer a Player Contract to any Free Agent; (d) to exercise or not to exercise a Right of First
Refusal; or (e) concerning the terms or conditions of employment offered to any Veteran or
Rookie.
It's the last CBA but I doubt it got changed.

Blackace

Aww man please. Nobody knew where the hell Lebron was going. Miami was at the bottom of everybodies list. Keep revising doe....

lol Bill Simmons reported before the decision.. it's still in the google cache but has somehow come off of ESPN's page..

Nelo Ice

Banned
That's a no brainer. Greatest Spur of all time.

I can only hope the Lakers do the same with Bean when the time comes. Dudes of that breed should be allowed to play until they hit 40.

Kobe's not going anywhere. He's already said if he can't win a ring in LA he's not going to jump ship anywhere else. I imagine the only way he's not a Laker is if he decides to retire.

Vyer

'The Decision' was only really expected in maybe the final week or two leading up to the show. Before then it was really mostly just everyone speculating.

Regardless, I don't know how exactly a 'players talking to each other' rule would be enforced. Sounds like more 'investigations' and allegations and Stern making judgments which IMO makes the NBA even worse than some players wanting to play together does.

benjipwns

Banned
lol Bill Simmons reported before the decision.. it's still in the google cache but has somehow come off of ESPN's page..
It's still there: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100708
Stephen A. Smith wins the Woodward & Bernstein Award for reporting last week that Wade/LeBron/Bosh in Miami was "done." I thought it was ridiculous. How could it be "done"? Bosh and LeBron were committing to an owner, president and coach without meeting any of them?
Let's say LeBron signs with Miami. Can you even make the Finals with LeBron, Bosh, Wade and nine minimum-salary guys? Because that might be next year's team … and if that's what happens, the answer is "no effing way."

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Shadowdork doesn't know that teams ARE NOT allowed to talk to other team's players while they are still under contract with said team? Are you fucking serious?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
sometimes First Take is the worst show i watch on tv. Taking 15 minutes to talk about Tebow saying he'd do The Bachelor show if he wasn't so busy and whether or not he'll have sex with the person he's dating before marriage?

I want to know what Lebron is having for lunch today and whether it is the food of champions or only one-and-done champions, not this tebow talk.
The show has become a total joke since SAS became a regular host. It's obvious now that they're faking the debate. They usually agree on something. Why are you guys yelling?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Shadowdork doesn't know that teams ARE NOT allowed to talk to other team's players while they are still under contract with said team? Are you fucking serious?

I'm pretty sure playing dumb is just his shtick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom