• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
'The Decision' was only really expected in maybe the final week or two leading up to the show. Before then it was really mostly just everyone speculating.

Regardless, I don't know how exactly a 'players talking to each other' rule would be enforced. Sounds like more 'investigations' and allegations and Stern making judgments which IMO makes the NBA even worse than some players wanting to play together does.

Just hold them to the same standards.. If they do something stupid like tweet about it or whatever hit Em up..

The only time I noticed the talks going down was when LeBron and my cavs lost in the final playoff series LeBron would play in for the cavaliers. Took off his jersey and the talks began.

Blackace

The only time I noticed the talks going down was when LeBron and my cavs lost in the final playoff series LeBron would play in for the cavaliers. Took off his jersey and the talks began.

Well then you weren't paying attention to what the rest of the sports world was reporting

Well then you weren't paying attention to what the rest of the sports world was reporting

Nothing happened with LeBron really, I didn't pay attention to Wade or Bosh. Only thing LeBron said is that we will conquer that problem when it occurs. We were thinking championship.

Blackace

Nothing happened with LeBron really, I didn't pay attention to Wade or Bosh. Only thing LeBron said is that we will conquer that problem when it occurs. We were thinking championship.

That cool... But reports from China say plenty transpired there and then all of a shudder LBJ wanted to change his number to 6 because he couldn't have 23 in Miami

benjipwns

Banned
That cool... But reports from China say plenty transpired there
Including our current excitement:
Brooklyn's franchise point guard Deron Williams told reporters at USA Basketball's training camp Monday that pairing with the Orlando Magic center had been a topic of discussion since the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

"We've talked about playing together for years," Williams said, calling the opportunity to team up "a big part" of why Howard has requested that he be traded to Brooklyn.

Blackace

I wouldn't be shocked if D12 himself was working the phones looking for trade partners.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Mike Bianchi ‏@BianchiWrites
Something for #Magic to consider: More fans show up next year to boo @DwightHoward than will show up to see Brook Lopez

It's true. I will go to Magic games to boo the crap out of Dwight. I refuse to pay a single dollar to see Brook Lopez play. Besides the first game they play against the Hornets.

Mike Bianchi ‏@BianchiWrites
Something for #Magic to consider: More fans show up next year to boo @DwightHoward than will show up to see Brook Lopez

It's true. I will go to Magic games to boo the crap out of Dwight. I refuse to pay a single dollar to see Brook Lopez play. Besides the first game they play against the Hornets.

Brook Lopez' parents wouldn't pay money to watch Brook Lopez play.

http://www.nbpa.org/sites/default/files/ARTICLE XIV.pdf

It's the last CBA but I doubt it got changed.

I wasn't talking about offering contracts. Im talking about:

"Hey you all wanna sign together when we are free agents?"

"Yeah."

which is correct.

“What we told the owners was that the three players are totally, as our system has evolved, within their rights to talk to each other,” Commissioner David Stern said after the meeting, which was held here in conjunction with the N.B.A. summer league.

Players on different teams who discuss the idea of someday playing together “is not tampering or collusion that is prohibited,” Stern said.

I guess the way I worded this is incorrect

There's no rule saying that teams or affiliates of teams can't talk to a player of someone who is under contract for another team. Once the offseason period starts its all fair game.

But obviously players dont fall under that bucket so......

lol Bill Simmons reported before the decision.. it's still in the google cache but has somehow come off of ESPN's page..
You talking about that article that was posted the night of the decision? Cmon, of course there were rumors leading up. You said that rumors started in 08, which is crap....

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
"You have to realize part of long-term planning is making sure you don't help create teams you can't beat."

So true.

Shinobi

@NBAonESPN Magic talking to other teams, not just Nets, about Dwight Howard trade:

WheelsOnTheBus.jpg

That cool... But reports from China say plenty transpired there and then all of a shudder LBJ wanted to change his number to 6 because he couldn't have 23 in Miami

Actually Bron said in November of his last season with the Cavs that he planned to change to #6 out of respect for Michael Jordan.

Now looking at it, you could summarize a whole lotta things from that (including the strong aroma of bullshit). But you've still got to prove it. Stern's got too much power as it is to be handing out punishment on maybes.

Speaking of Stern, I'm still waiting for him to punish himself for his ridiculous interview on Jim Rome. This is another reason why I'm not into trying to find more ways to ding the players, while Stern can say whatever the hell he wants without repercussions.

Omega

Banned
He's not going anywhere besides Brooklyn.

Can we cut the stupid shit already? He's already told the other 30 teams in the NBA he's not resigning with them and the only teams dumb enough to still trade for him under those circumstances are the Rockets and Knicks.

Every day some other team is in talks to get Dwight. I think the only teams left that haven't been "in the running" are Milwaukee, Utah and Charlotte.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
He's not going anywhere besides Brooklyn.

Can we cut the stupid shit already? He's already told the other 30 teams in the NBA he's not resigning with them and the only teams dumb enough to still trade for him are the Rockets and Knicks.

Every day some other team is in talks to get Dwight.

I think the only teams left that haven't been "in the running" are Milwaukee, Utah and Charlotte.

He's not going to Brooklyn at all unless Orlando trades him there.

benjipwns

Banned
I wasn't talking about offering contracts. Im talking about:

"Hey you all wanna sign together when we are free agents?"

"Yeah."

which is correct.
That rule is not just about offering contracts. You said there is:
no rule saying that teams or affiliates of teams can't talk to a player of someone who is under contract for another team
And that entire section says exactly that, teams can't.

Mxrz

The "Won't sign with any other team" threat carries no weight any more. And letting him walk is better than max contract Brook Lopez, and creating another super team in the East for the next 8 years.

That rule is not just about offering contracts. You said there is:

And that entire section says exactly that, teams can't.

I said that because I was subscribing to what Blackace said about players as employees or what not. I honestly didn't know the how the players are classified so I labeled them affiliates.

The main thing that im arguing is that contract or not players can talk to players about what they want to do in FA. Its not collusion...

SamuraiX-

ROTY Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson, Dion Waiters & Tyler Zeller will play for the Cavaliers summer league team. That will be fun to watch.

Pretty pointless to play Kyrie, really.

It's just gonna be 40 minutes of him making everybody look like fools while taking away from the development of this future teammates.

Omega

Banned
The "Won't sign with any other team" threat carries no weight any more. And letting him walk is better than max contract Brook Lopez, and creating another super team in the East for the next 8 years.

Have you not paid attention at all? The current Nets trade is almost impossible to pull off. If/when this ridiculous saga falls through Dwight will be headed elsewhere and there's nothing he can do about it.

I hope you guys are right but this league is a joke. I fully expect this diva to be in Brooklyn by next season.

The current trade might be impossible but you make it sound like they can't re-work a deal.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
WojYahooNBA
Before Lakers assistant Quin Snyder agreed to lucrative spot w/ CSKA-Moscow, he turned down interview for head job w/ Magic, sources tell Y!

Moscow is more attractive than this mess of a franchise in Orlando :(

Pretty pointless to play Kyrie, really.

It's just gonna be 40 minutes of him making everybody look like fools while taking away from the development of this future teammates.

I doubt he will play very long. Maybe 20 minutes. Donald Sloan will pick up the rest of his minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom