• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Orlando Magic are still trying to find a graceful way out of the Dwight Howard situation. While many hours have been spent exploring various deals with the Brooklyn Nets, Orlando has yet to trigger anything but rumors, speculation and anticipation.

Trying to construct a three or four-team deal is difficult and when you add in the sign-and-trade factor, it’s only compounded by conflicting interests.

Brooklyn still has a real chance to land Howard, but other suitors are still in pursuit.

HOOPSWORLD has learned that there has been preliminary discussions between the Orlando Magic, Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets that would involve sending Andrew Bynum to the Rockets and Howard to the Lakers.

The Magic are not necessarily in love with the idea of giving either Bynum or Lopez a sizable, long-term commitment as they go through a major roster overhaul. Draft picks and prospects, a la the Denver Nuggets’ return on Carmelo Anthony, is said to be more appealing to Orlando.

The Rockets have no assurance from Howard that he’d re-sign there and while they might be willing to take that risk, Bynum has privately expressed a willingness to be in Houston long-term.

Houston has a tremendous haul of young, cheap players to offer as well as multiple draft picks. They also have a passing interest in Ramon Sessions – as the Lakers do in Courtney Lee.

L.A. has some confidence that Howard would eventually re-sign with the Lakers but a major qualm is, to date, Howard has resisted such a move. Additionally, Los Angeles wants to make sure Howard’s back is truly healthy.

The Rockets have also had interest in Pau Gasol, offering Luis Scola and Kevin Martin. It’s difficult to imagine the Lakers giving up on Gasol before playing him alongside Steve Nash, but L.A. has been looking to reconfigure their salary structure for some time. It’s unclear how far teams would take discussions should they gain traction.

Certainly the status of center Omer Asik would play into Houston’s decision as they’re giving him a three-year, $25 million offer sheet once the signing period begins. The Chicago Bulls will have three days to match, which could delay any resolution involving the Rockets until then.

Just as the Brooklyn conversation lingered and took many unexpected turns, there’s nothing said to be imminent between the Lakers, Rockets and Magic. However, it is one of many possible paths as the Magic try to step into their future post-Howard.

Well this three team scenario actually makes some sense.

Walsh

Banned
Jordan is an interesting figure but a lot of what was not so great about him as a player gets lost in the nostalgia. His failures early in his career also get lost in the success he had late in his career.

Vire

Rashard Lewis aye?

netsdraftkid.gif

Well at least he won't be asked to do anything other than shoot 3's.

As if our team wasn't scary enough last year, add in Ray Allen and Lewis on the wing? It's gonna be some Super Sonics shit out there!

Wright actually played -ok- two seasons ago. Was plagued with injury this past year.

Clearly Golden State has no intention of winning anytime soon. I guess they're just trying to free up minutes for Harrison Barnes. The fucking Sjack for Jefferson trade made no sense to me, though.

Wright all season has been disgruntled in GS on top of not playing well. Brandon Rush's production and the logjam at SF makes him expendable.

bjb

Banned
They invested the 7th overall pick in the draft, I would think they want to make sure he could get as much playing time as possible right away...

You would think that, but this is Golden State after all. At the 3, they traded away Jack for Rjay's disgusting deal which locks him in for 2 more years. $10-11Mil per (I believe). And for what? Some scrub from Vanderbilt. Would've rather they kept Wright and Jack - both can play the 2 as well.

Also it may have just been the Nelly years (and his system), but they constantly let young talent like Randolph and Wright rot - even when they were healthy. At least Mark Jackson gave Udoh and Thompson decent minutes, but now Udoh and Ellis are gone for Andrew Bogut (lol) of all people. Chalk up another losing season.

Yeah that sucks, man. You were a Rockets fan? How did you end up going about choosing your team?

We I got into sports we lived in Houston and stuck with most of their teams even after moving away until the Oilers left. I felt betrayed so I followed my favorite football player at the time, Warrick Dunn, to the Tampa Bay Bucs. Most New Mexicans just like the teams everyone likes, Cowboys, Yankees, Lakers.

You would think that, but this is Golden State after all. At the 3, they traded away Jack for Rjay's disgusting deal which locks him in for 2 more years. $10-11Mil per (I believe). And for what? Some scrub from Vanderbilt. Would've rather they kept Wright and Jack - both can play the 2 as well.

Also it may have just been the Nelly years (and his system), but they constantly let young talent like Randolph and Wright rot - even when they were healthy. At least Mark Jackson gave Udoh and Thompson decent minutes, but now Udoh and Ellis are gone for Andrew Bogut (lol) of all people. Chalk up another losing season.

With the way Jack punked Robert Rowell into giving him a fat contract last go around, there was just no way he was going to stay in GS. This was very much a take what you can get deal which was RJ (will have some value starting next season's trade deadline and throughout the following season once it's an expiring) and the Spurs 1st round pick (which was insurance in case they lost their pick to Utah). It's not the greatest move in the world but probably the best offer they could've taken given the circumstances..

I don't see how Howard would help the Lakers. It's not like Bynum is a stiff defensively. Howard's offensive game is also one dimensional. I'd be worried about his back issues. Nash also has some serious back issues.

The Lakers last year had some glaring weaknesses. Lack of three point shooting, a poor defensive backcourt, a terrible bench, and Mike Brown. Even if they get Howard, those problems are still there. Miami, on the other hand, is loading up on three point shooters, plays excellent team defense, and has improved their bench by leaps and bounds. The Lakers are going to be a slow, plodding team that is going to struggle against athletic teams like OKC and Miami.

SamuraiX-

While it has been known for a few days now that the Sacramento Kings would re-sign Restricted Free Agent Forward Jason Thompson, the terms of the deal have not been discloses. Prior speculation put the deal at 4 years, $26 million, but a recent report from the CourierPostOnline.com says that the terms of the contract are 5 years, $34 million. Thompson does himself say in the interview that his deal is at least five years, although financials are not mentioned.

The maximum a team can offer one of their own free agents is a five year deal with annual 7.5% raises per Larry Coon's NBA Salary Cap FAQ. If Thompson's deal starts at about $6 million, which is something that has been reported, a five year deal with 7.5% raises would be about $34.8 million, so this report may have some merit. If the Kings opted for a smaller 4.5% annual raise, that would come out to $32.8 million.

So JT would be making anything from ~$6.56M-$6.96M/year for 5 years.

Love it. Probably our best non-rookie contract right now.

Yes, this is something worth celebrating. ;_;

KingKong

I don't see how Howard would help the Lakers. It's not like Bynum is a stiff defensively. Howard's offensive game is also one dimensional. I'd be worried about his back issues. Nash also has some serious back issues.

Howard is the best and most important defender in the league. His offense may not be as smooth as Bynums (and that ft% is..) but he's still a good offensive player, especially with Nash. I'm not sure what you mean by one dimensional, I guess he could develop a 3 point shot like Bynum is trying to do

So those against the Nets trade because of the whole "superteam" thing are ok with Howard going to the Lakers?

How?

Who was against it for that reason? The difference is you don't have the Clippers or Blazers helping to facilitate a Laker super team and getting nothing out of it. It just didn't make sense for anyone involved except for Brooklyn.

Rick Bonnell ‏@rick_bonnell
Kemba on Dunlap: “He’s letting me play how I used to play – attack, score, be aggressive, get fouled and find guys. Have fun.’’

I can't wait to see him, MKG, and Biyombo fly up and down the court on Friday.

The Lakers last year had some glaring weaknesses. Lack of three point shooting, a poor defensive backcourt, a terrible bench, and Mike Brown. Even if they get Howard, those problems are still there. Miami, on the other hand, is loading up on three point shooters, plays excellent team defense, and has improved their bench by leaps and bounds. The Lakers are going to be a slow, plodding team that is going to struggle against athletic teams like OKC and Miami.

Nash is a great 3 point shooter, and Nash will undoubtedly create easier shots for everyone.

bluemax

Banned
Rashard Lewis aye?

netsdraftkid.gif

Well at least he won't be asked to do anything other than shoot 3's.

As if our team wasn't scary enough last year, add in Ray Allen and Lewis on the wing? It's gonna be some Super Sonics shit out there!

All you need now are Ridnour, Collison, Sene and Jerome James!

Nash is a great 3 point shooter, and Nash will undoubtedly create easier shots for everyone.

Nash also makes them worse defensively. Kobe is a terrible defender that gives up more than he actually tries. Ron Artest has lost a step and continues to lose his marbles. Asking Dwight Howard to make up for everyone else's defensive shortcomings is insane. If he gets into foul trouble that team is soft as tissue defensively.

He's going to get into foul trouble more than Laker's fans would think. Backcourts will get to the rim at will against this team. You thought Sessions was bad against Westbrook? Just wait.

Nash also makes them worse defensively. Kobe is a terrible defender that gives up more than he actually tries. Ron Artest has lost a step and continues to lose his marbles. Asking Dwight Howard to make up for everyone else's defensive shortcomings is insane. If he gets into foul trouble that team is soft as tissue defensively.

Best defense is a good offense. Nash is a great two way player confirmed...

Darkman M

Lol I can taste the salt.

bjb

Banned
With the way Jack punked Robert Rowell into giving him a fat contract last go around, there was just no way he was going to stay in GS. This was very much a take what you can get deal which was RJ (will have some value starting next season's trade deadline and throughout the following season once it's an expiring) and the Spurs 1st round pick (which was insurance in case they lost their pick to Utah). It's not the greatest move in the world but probably the best offer they could've taken given the circumstances..

I can definitely see the logic behind moving him for punking Rowell. However, I think they had like a 70% chance of keeping that pick at 7 or higher. If they moved him simply for insurance, then what a disaster (imo). So much for engaging Utah to "take their pick back".

Also that draft pick is going to be top-seven protected in 2013, and top-six protected 2014. I see no way they don't finish in the bottom 5 both years with their current roster.

LMAO are you for real? Adding Nash and Dwight would represent HUGE upgrades at the 1 and the 5 without having to give up any other parts of the team. Yes they still have flaws but everyone does. You can't address every flaw in a single offseason. The Lakers are a far better team if they add Howard to
Nash. It's laughable to suggest otherwise. Talk about a weak attempt to try and rain on a parade (a parade that hasn't even happened yet, for all we know Dwight will end up a Bobcat or some shit)

He's going to get into foul trouble more than Laker's fans would think. Backcourts will get to the rim at will against this team. You thought Sessions was bad against Westbrook? Just wait.
You seem upset. Maybe just masturbate and call it a night?

To be fair are Jameer, Hedo, Lewis great defenders themselves?

Dwight took that to the finals.

Having a premier shotblocker makes up for a lot actually since all you have to do is funnel dudes to Dwight.

Besides the Laker's PGs have been getting sodimized for a decade or so.

I will be the first one to gloat when teams like OKC and the Heat demolish the Lakers because of their lack of backcourt defense. The writing is on the wall. Teams that shoot the three ball well will also destroy them.

Bynum sucks defending the pick & roll compared to Howard. It's night & day. It would be a big difference. Having both Gasol & Bynum try to defend the pick & roll last year made JJ Barea look like an all star. Lakers were clearly at their best defensively when Bynum came off the bench and had Odom at the 4.

I don't see how Howard's one dimensional offensive game matters. He was still the best scoring center this season & last & shot a better fg% than Bynum despite being surrounded by inferior talent. Lakers starting 5 right now is probably the least athletic in the league. Having Howard run beside Nash would be huge.

To be fair are Jameer, Hedo, Lewis great defenders themselves?

Dwight took that to the finals.

Having a premier shotblocker makes up for a lot actually since all you have to do is funnel dudes to Dwight.

Besides the Laker's PGs have been getting sodimized for a decade or so.

You said it better than I could. This isn't the 90's. Help defense is much more important today.

Apparently a backup PF is untouchable in Kahn's world. He wants the Blazers to take his garbage contracts so he can deliver on his word to the free agents he is courting. You dun goofed Kahn.

Lol now you are just fucking around or are really a sad, sad person. Yes the Lakers will rue the day they unloaded that defensive wizard known as Derek Fisher in favor of Steve Nash. Clearly the team is worse off than they were last year!

I will be the first one to gloat when teams like OKC and the Heat demolish the Lakers because of their lack of backcourt defense. The writing is on the wall. Teams that shoot the three ball well will also destroy them.

Newsflash bro: Those two teams were in the finals.

Their backcourts destroy everyone.

C'mon son.

Quit making me defend the Lakers.

Lol now you are just fucking around or are really a sad, sad person. Yes the Lakers will rue the day they unloaded that defensive wizard known as Derek Fisher in favor of Steve Nash. Clearly the team is worse off than they were last year!

I didn't say that they're worse. They're better. I'm not convinced they could beat OKC in a seven game series despite either trade. The exact same weaknesses they had last year are still there. You're blind if you can't see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom