• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Cool, so who do you actually want the Bobcats to draft, I get it you don't want Drummond.

Just for your reaction, I hope they do take him though.

The best thing about this draft is that the Bobcats almost can't even fuck it up. Barnes isn't going #2 thanks to his mediocre tournament run so that pretty much only leaves Robinson, MKG, and maybe Beal on the super reach - but even then, it doesn't matter because each of those guys will lack the immediate impact to prevent us from tanking next year when the draft is much more top heavy.

Also, we're looking to trade the pick and move down anyway - which is what I've wanted since December. From 2 to maybe even 15 or so, there is very little to distinguish players so if we move down to rack up more picks/players/assets, then I'm good with that too. Drummond isn't going in the top 3 because he's a bigger project than Biyombo BUT if we were to trade down and pick him up, then I'd be more than happy with him.

I'm not even mad about losing out on Davis. You can check my posts. I never wanted him (I'm just pissed that Stern gives out the #1 pick to his homies). The #2 puts us in the driver seat for the whole draft and with Cho handling things, I can chill.

abuC

The best thing about this draft is that the Bobcats almost can't even fuck it up. Barnes isn't going #2 thanks to his mediocre tournament run so that pretty much only leaves Robinson, MKG, and maybe Beal on the super reach - but even then, it doesn't matter because each of those guys will lack the immediate impact to prevent us from tanking next year when the draft is much more top heavy.

Also, we're looking to trade the pick and move down anyway - which is what I've wanted since December. From 2 to maybe even 15 or so, there is very little to distinguish players so if we move down to rack up more picks/players/assets, then I'm good with that too. Drummond isn't going in the top 3 because he's a bigger project than Biyombo BUT if we were to trade down and pick him up, then I'd be more than happy with him.

I'm not even mad about losing out on Davis. You can check my posts. I never wanted him (I'm just pissed that Stern gives out the #1 pick to his homies). The #2 puts us in the driver seat for the whole draft and with Cho handling things, I can chill.

I'd go MKG if I were the Cats and couldn't trade the pick, yeah the offense would be bad, but he'll be a starting SF from the minute he's drafted. I like Robinson a lot, but he and Biyombo make for a small frontcourt even though Bismack is a beast defensively. I don't think Beal is worth the 2nd pick, especially since you all have Gerald Henderson signed to a Bad Boy records slave deal for the next few years.

Dropping down to the 15th is a bit much though, maybe getting the Blazers 6th and 11th for the 2nd would be a better approach, or maybe even an asset + the Hornets 10th. I really do hope Mike doesn't take Barnes, that would be truly awful if he does, hopefully Cho keeps him far away from decision making.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The Raptors are considering moving him to the 3 this year, I will never call him a big, he's just some really tall dude out there shooting 3s and not rebounding.

I just think there was a shift, after the 07 draft it seems teams would take any wing or PG over big guys if it were close and a hard decision to make.

Bigs taken in top 10.
08 - 2 (3 if you count supercool)
09 - 3
10 - 4
11 - 4

07 - 6
06 - 6
05 - 5
04 - 3 (Still LOL @ Rafael Araujo)
03 - 4
02 - 6
01 - 6

So while big guys might still go 1 or 2, it seems to me teams have gotten a lot more weary of drafting them in the top 10 to me. Maybe they're doing their homework better now, but I think sometimes they go overboard looking for flaws, which is why you can find big guys that are gems later which is something that really didn't happen before.

it doesnt really matter what you are willing to call him

he has played 4 and 5 his entire career not rebounding has worked for a lot of bigs

to me the trends are teams are shying away from lottery pick projects

why draft a big who has a chance to be productive in 4 years when you need now?

wings produce faster and most stay in college for at least 2 years

if you break down the top 3 picks why more bigs are taken

Canuck76

Banned
I'd go MKG if I were the Cats and couldn't trade the pick, yeah the offense would be bad, but he'll be a starting SF from the minute he's drafted. I like Robinson a lot, but he and Biyombo make for a small frontcourt even though Bismack is a beast defensively. I don't think Beal is worth the 2nd pick, especially since you all have Gerald Henderson signed to a Bad Boy records slave deal for the next few years.

Dropping down to the 15th is a bit much though, maybe getting the Blazers 6th and 11th for the 2nd would be a better approach, or maybe even an asset + the Hornets 10th. I really do hope Mike doesn't take Barnes, that would be truly awful if he does, hopefully Cho keeps him far away from decision making.

I agree. Go with MKG with that #2 pick and get a SF who'll continually get better. It'll be ugly for that first season but his offense is going to keep getting better and better and he's got character that the bobcats need.

pilonv1

A more athletic Earl Clark.

I should find my posts where I linked all the Earl Clark pre-draft reports. It's eerie.

I found another scouting report that applies to Jones too...

Looks passive, disinterested at times, as if he's not giving 100%. Drifts in and out of the game and can be extremely inconsistent. Doesn't always play with the type of aggressiveness you would like to see out of a player with so much talent, although that's beginning to improve.

Charlie Villanueva

Radio said Cav's are staying put at 4. Guess I'm okay with that. Rumor mill says.PJIII tests off the charts physically, but is dumber than a rock. Sigh I bet we snag him.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hearing a rumbling that the Magic might try and send JJ + 19th to the Hornets for the 10th pick + Ariza. Considering the Hornets want capspace they could immediately waive JJ since he's fully unguaranteed next year. Ariza's better than Hedouche...but not by much.

How can there even be any rumblings of deals going down when they don't have a GM in place yet? That seems awfully ass backwards. Deal itself is okay I guess.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Drummond's prospect rests entirely on the team that drafts him. At first I hated the thought of drafting him, but his physical gifts are tantalizing. Not many players can match up with him. Hard to judge how he'll shake up. I can see him being an underachiever.

I don't think he'll be a bust though. Hard to be a bust with that type of size and athleticism.

This a thousand times this.

If the bobcats or Wizards draft Drum? Almost guaranteed bust.

If an organization (that would have to trade up) like the Spurs, Boston, Indiana, Houston, or the jazz grabbed him I'd be shocked if he wasn't at least a solid first big off the bench for a good team but more likely much better.

This a thousand times this.

If the bobcats or Wizards draft Drum? Almost guaranteed bust.

If an organization (that would have to trade up) like the Spurs, Boston, Indiana, Houston, or the jazz grabbed him I'd be shocked if he wasn't at least a solid first big off the bench for a good team but more likely much better.

Anybody but the Cav's please. Drummond in the next D-league bound center in what's becoming a long line. He may get good ala Roy Hibbert but then again he could be the next Acie Earl too.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I agree. Go with MKG with that #2 pick and get a SF who'll continually get better. It'll be ugly for that first season but his offense is going to keep getting better and better and he's got character that the bobcats need.

I'd rather have two or three guys between 6 and 20 than just one MKG.

charsace

I don't want to seem like I think he will be good.. But he has a decent looking jumper that could translate into range.. Personally 8-13 range is a great gamble for PJ IMO

He would be a good pick if he showed any interest in basketball. Darius Miles and Eddie Griffin showed more interest in basketball than this guy. That's not a good sign at all.

JB (NYC)
Who is the diamond in the rough you seem the grabbing this year in the second round?

Jared Zwerling (12:18 PM)
These are the guys on my radar: Jae Crowder, Darius Johnson-Odom, Kim English, Rakim Sanders and Scott Machado.

I really think Machado will go at the top of the second round. He's arguably the third-best point guard in the draft class. While I think the Knicks should look to sign a veteran PG as a backup anyway, if Machado is there, you have to give him consideration.
Crowder I hear impressed some people at the Chicago draft combine this week with his outside shooting. He's got a very quick release and he's very physical. He can do a lot of little things well, but he needs to work on his midrange game. While Johnson-Odom is a bit undersized to guard multiple positions, he'll be able to stay with many point guards on the next level. He's been really impressing people with his D during the pre-draft process. He's also an overall good scorer and can knock down the three. Buzz Williams' Marquette guys always seem to be prepared for the NBA.
As for English, he's a great 3-point shooter. He has a Ray Allen-esque release, and of course the Knicks need 3-point shooting.
Rakim Sanders has been moving up the charts. He's a physical beast and has a great all-around game. He needs to become a little more consistent with his outside shot, though. But he's got an inside-out game and can bully two guards and guard up to the power-forward position.
LOL Sanders is 6'5 and 6'3.25 w/o shoes. What PF would he be able to guard?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
And he handles the ball like his hands have been dunked in concrete.

Miles runs the floor really well, mobility is not a problem for him. Catching the ball and expecting him to do anything with it offensively other than convert an alley-oop is foolish. Neither he nor Mason have soft hands, thats a problem for big men. He played D and rebounded well last year and is one of the few guys close enough to 7' that someone might take a chance on him in the second round.

Perry Jones III Intrigued By Possibility Of Joining Bucks

Intrigued about joining Tim Thomas' team, lol.

"Hopefully (my role) is very different. I sacrificed a lot in college. I gave up a lot of things, such as scoring, because I thought I had other people on my team that could score.

ffs, Perry, you didn't play anything close to resembling team basketball at Baylor, just admit you sucked and have to improve.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I have to share this from the other thread.

Holy shit, I just found the funniest thing ever for a guy like me.

http://twitter.com/#!/cboozscreams

"GOT ONE OF THOSE JOKEY VALENTINES CARDS FOR TAJ THAT SAYS "BACKUP PLAN" AND I THINK IT PUT HIM IN HIS PLACE."

"HEADING TO THE BARBERSHOP FOR A QUICK CUT. CUZ THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE WHO HAVE REAL HAIR DO."

"PROP8 HAS BEEN REPEALED! CONGRATULATIONS KYLE KORVER!!! #ANDONE"

The Cats need to trade DJ/Henderson for Lowry and then draft MKG at number two.

What's your best then? I don't think that would be a terrible team in 2 seasons or so.
Two seasons? Blazers would be lucky to pawn Drummond for a lottery pick after they fail to develop him. Aldridge's prime is wasted. Marshall hits his ceiling Sessions-good. Blazer fans will look back at this draft in shame.

Blackace

Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking in these mock drafts. Portland drafting a 4 is borderline insane.

and on top of that if they want him they could get him at 11 most likely

pilonv1

http://www.theknicksblog.com/2012/06/09/knicks-shopping-fields-targeting-the-warriors/

Multiple sources have told me over the past week that the Knicks are shopping Landry Fields and it appears they are trying to move into the first round if the Warriors agree to deal with the Knicks restricted free agent.

A team that the Knicks could be targeting is Golden State, who currently hold the 30th pick, the last pick in the first round and 4 picks total.

Fields would be an ideal fit for the Warriors open style and, should the Knicks move to the end of the first round, they can target the best player available which could perhaps be Vandy’s sharp shooter John Jenkins or Kentucky’s Doron Lamb should they go SG.

Would rather they keep #30, draft a Yuro and keep Rush.

Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking in these mock drafts. Portland drafting a 4 is borderline insane.

Ehh, the Blazers really really need another big man, Leonard and Drummond are the only centers in the draft and both guys are super raw and don't fit with the roster because of it, and the Blazers have been effective when LMA is playing is center...

pilonv1

Ehh, the Blazers really really need another big man, Leonard and Drummond are the only centers in the draft and both guys are super raw and don't fit with the roster because of it, and the Blazers have been effective when LMA is playing is center...

I think they'd trade up/down instead of taking Sullinger.

a Roy with no legs is still a better player than Fields

No argument here. New management so no guarantee of crappy wings moving forward.

Blackace

Drummond would be a decent fit.. But getting another post player who is meh on d and the glass isn't the answer

Drummond isn't going to be playable for his first two years and by the time he's playing good minutes, LMA will be in the last year of his contract and near 30 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom