• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I also think Drummond could be semi-productive on D in his rookie year..

Canuck76

Banned
If they can't trade up I still think Portland should trade out or down and get someone like Fab Melo.

Wasn't there some talk of people selling off their late 1sts? (Grizzlies i think it was). Don't know where Melo is going to go but it would be nice to move up and get a late 1st and take him.

We need big men badly. Hickson i want resigned but our only true C on our roster is Kurt Thomas, who could drop dead at anytime.

abuC

Sullinger's decision to go back to school was terrible, he was pretty much a lock for top 5 last year, now I've seen mocks of him going as late as the teens.

I bet he comes to the Knicks. They have a bad habit of picking up ailing if not old players that ultimately come to NY to retire.

I don't really see how he fits in the Heat's rotation unless they plan on giving Wade less minutes, which honestly, at this point in his career he probably needs, but probably isn't willing to take. They currently have James Jones who rarely sees the floor and who I assume won't be back next year.

abuC

Who's worse? Duhon, Bibby, or Failton?

duhon-dancing.gif

Canuck76

Banned
Who's worse? Duhon, Bibby, or Failton?

Uhh Duhon probably in terms of talent and skill. In terms of being a cancer failton. dude showed us at the start of the season what we could do and even beat OKC on their own floor.

Then basically threw a temper tantrum because of Nate being tough and sucked for the rest of the season and like marathon said did dumb crap like dribble off his leg or all around stupidity plays that took the soul of the team.

Better get it done next week, Mike Miller.

Win, lose, or draw I think Mike Miller gets amnestied or traded this off-season. Guy is the fourth best paid player on the team and hasn't contributed jack over the two-years. I like the guy, he's just been injured and very inconsistent since joining the team.

SamuraiX-

So apparently the Kings are interested in Drunmond. I think they're trying to build the dumbest team of all time.

I demand a source on this.

Nothing surprises me at this point, but still want something at least partially concrete.

Edit: Give me Barnes over Drummond. Real talk.

Blackace

greatest write yp ever..

Quick quiz: What one person is most responsible for the Oklahoma City Thunder existing today?

Is it former mayor Ron Norick for laying the groundwork for the MAPS program that built what is now Chesapeake Energy Arena? Is it current mayor Mick Cornett for his dogged determination to get NBA commissioner David Stern to think seriously about Oklahoma City hosting a franchise? Maybe it is Clay Bennett for organizing the purchase of the Seattle Supersonics and mismanaging any effort to leave the team in the Pacific Northwest? Or, could it be Kobe Bryant?

I hesitate to say this because no one needs an ego boost less than Kobe Bryant, but without him, the success of the Oklahoma City Thunder never happens. Bear with me: In 1996 Bryant was only the second player in twenty years to enter the NBA draft after his senior year of high school (note: The year before Kevin Garnett started the trend.) Since it was not a common occurrence, the first twelve teams passed on Kobe before he was drafted thirteenth overall by the Charlotte Hornets.

At the time, the Hornets were very successful in Charlotte. Behind the star power of Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning, they sold out every game in their ginormous arena. However, Kobe’s agent Arn Tellem was not about to let his teenage prodigy languish in a small market and labeled Bryant as a Hornet “an impossibility.” The two strong armed a trade to the Los Angeles Lakers who had recently acquired Shaquille O’Neal from the Orlando Magic.

The rest, as they say, is history. A history that goes like this: Kobe and Shaq win a bunch of championships together. Kobe starts resenting that Shaq gets all the credit, rapes a girl, and then forces the Lakers to trade Shaq during breaks of his trial. For the next few years, Kobe tries to win every game by himself while the Lakers stink. Somehow, Los Angeles is gifted Pau Gasol who makes the team relevant again, but this time Kobe gets all the credit and he becomes super marketable again despite the fact that he had to pay a woman to drop sexual assault charges against him just a few years prior.

Meanwhile, the Hornets lose Johnson and Mourning, try to replace both of their stars with Glen Rice and become a very ordinary, uninteresting team at the same time that their wonderful owner (George Shinn) starts demanding that Charlotte build him a new arena. The fan base completely disintegrates and Shinn takes the team to New Orleans where it continues to struggle even before Hurricane Katrina hit. As refugees with no home to play games in, Oklahoma City with its viable arena sitting empty welcomes them. The team is wildly successful here, but the NBA refuses to vacate the storm ravaged city of New Orleans. That convinces local businessmen to buy the team that is most likely to relocate, the Sonics. They move to OKC, rebrand themselves as the Thunder and are now super awesome.

None of that happens if Kobe is a normal human being. A normal human being would be drafted by a borderline playoff team like Charlotte and been stoked that their dream of playing in the NBA was accomplished without having to play on a crappy team. Because of his talent, he would have given the Hornets the superstar they needed to build around, Shinn probably would have gotten his arena without alienating his fan base (who rebelled because he let Johnson walk and traded Mourning to leave them with no one marketable). The Hornets remain in Charlotte to this day, meaning the Bobcats don’t exist, and Hurricane Katrina has no influence on the NBA. Clay Bennett never buys the SuperSonics because there is no local fervor in Oklahoma City, so the Sonics are still probably in Seattle being mismanaged and sucking.

KingGondo

Banned
greatest write yp ever..
Very interesting, thanks for posting that.

Another angle to look at things from--if Schultz had continued to own the team, what are the odds that they're anywhere near as good as they are now? Love him or hate him (and I actually think he's a greedy douche), Bennett has done a fantastic job with the Thunder. The organization itself is incredibly well-run.

CrazyDogg77 said:
That is some remarkable extrapolation.
It seems pretty linear and logical, IMO. Doesn't mean that "Kobe is responsible for the Sonics move," but the article makes a convincing case that if the Hornets draft Kobe, the Thunder don't exist.

SamuraiX-

For those interested, here is a list of the top-tier free-agent point guards set to hit the market:
* Deron Williams, Brooklyn Nets – $16.4 million – Player Option ($17.8 million)
* Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns – $11.7 million – Unrestricted
* Aaron Brooks, Phoenix Suns – $2.0 million – Restricted ($3.0 million Qualifying Offer)
* Goran Dragic, Houston Rockets – $2.1 million – Unrestricted
* Raymond Felton, Portland Trail Blazers – $7.6 million – Unrestricted
* Jameer Nelson, Orlando Magic – $7.8 million – Player Option ($7.8 million)
* D.J. Augustin, Charlotte Bobcats – $3.2 million – Restricted ($4.4 million Qualifying Offer)
* Jason Terry, Dallas Mavericks – $10.7 million – Unrestricted
* Leandro Barbosa, Indiana Pacers – $7.6 million – Unrestricted
* Jerryd Bayless, Toronto Raptors – $3.0 million – Restricted ($4.2 million Qualifying Offer)

dafuq

Blackace

That's why I had quotation marks. I think Jameer away from Orlando with a new team/system might rejuvenate him for a year or two, but he's a risk and is nowhere near a top-tier PG. How Barbosa and Bayless are considered PGs, much less top-tier is amazing.

Outside of Williams and Nash the only PGs worth a damn on that list are Nelson and Brooks. and both are risk..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom