• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The time before he played a game at UNC? I remember his first few months being terrible and people questioning him being a #1 pick. It wasn't till the second half of his freshman season that he started to get anywhere near the rep he had coming in.

You know why? hint :
Kendall Marshal
Look, Barnes is nowhere near an elite or great or even very good athlete. He can't drbble, get separation, create his own shot. He's got a great jumper and I think he can catch and shoot in traffic well. He didn't use his size advantage at all inside. Get Barnes with a good passing PG and he'll be good player. If you draft him hoping you're getting an NBA ready scoring wing, then the joke's on you.

It doesn't surprise me that Barnes is having good workouts, he tests and showcases well. Its why he was picked preseason AA before ever playing a game in college. Same here. In competition with equal or greater talent, he has struggled.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Beal is a pointguard. He even said he wants to develop and play point one day for a team. How the hell does that fit in with the Cavaliers.

no he is not... just like EG isnt a PG

Blackace

i don't want to see roy die all over again
Between Portland and Orlando... Who has the worst trainers on the planet?
He'd be a nice fit most anywhere due to SGs not being in surplus. CHI is high on that list.

As painful as it is to say... He would be a good fit on the Lakers as a full time PG

And did you make a Lion King reference about Brandon Roy? Really? Is that what's hot on the streets?

pilonv1

Golden State deserves an honorable mention

Mostly because they bring players back before they're injured (Biedrins was a perfect example, also Brandan Wright's shoulder). Some bad luck (Azubuike's ACL, Kwame's pec tear). Also Steph runs on the outside of his feet so he is more prone to sprains.

Funnily enough Monta Ellis played 5-6 years of 40mins and never suffered a serious injury.

Key point on Roy though, he wasn't a medical retirement for his contract.

Brandon Roy announced his retirement from basketball In December of 2011, citing chronic knee problems, but he did so in a way that left the door open for a comeback. Instead of leaving the Portland Trail Blazers and taking his salary off their books through medical retirement, the team used their amnesty clause on Roy's contract. That means another team can claim Roy by bidding on a portion of his contract, and they might get a chance to do just that.

Warriors will have ~$5million to spend.

In other news, Mehmet Okur has "retired" from the NBA and will play in Turkey.

methodman

Banned
Mostly because they bring players back before they're injured (Biedrins was a perfect example, also Brandan Wright's shoulder). Some bad luck (Azubuike's ACL, Kwame's pec tear). Also Steph runs on the outside of his feet so he is more prone to sprains.

Funnily enough Monta Ellis played 5-6 years of 40mins and never suffered a serious injury.

Key point on Roy though, he wasn't a medical retirement for his contract.

Warriors will have ~$5million to spend.

In other news, Mehmet Okur has "retired" from the NBA and will play in Turkey.

I can't believe we're gonna put the hopes of our season on steph curry's glass ankle and bogut not getting into a crazy injury.

we're fucked.

methodman

Banned
Just depends on who they sign as Steph's backup. I'm not at all worried about Bogut.

Yeah, we really need a solid backup pg. Jenkins is 3rd pg worthy.

I've always been a big monta fan, but I truly think he didn't work out on his game all of last offseason, and thought he could just come back and do well during the season. He didn't. He was really inconsistent and probably had his worst season as a pro since he became a starter IMO. Was very disappointed with his performance throughout the regular season with us, and even more so when he went to the Bucks because if he was playing as well as he did a couple seasons ago, they would have made the playoffs against the Bulls. Hope he comes out strong this year, which he will because it's a contract season, lol.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Drummond has enormous size and great athleticism. He says his strengths right now are running the floor, rebounding and blocking shots. He admits he is a work-in-progress offensively, where as a freshman at UConn, he made only 32 percent from close-range (22-of-69) and shot 29 percent from the free throw line.

WTF?

Drummond has defensive potential though. I'm more interested in how his defensive awareness is. If you have a big that can recover well on PNR defense then you've got a really valuable piece, especially at his size and length. Limiting him to a Tyson Chandler role would be smart.

Scary thing there is the defensive glass though. Being a good guy on the offensive boards but sucking on the defensive glass means you're just missing your own shot and getting the rebound.

I'd be willing to give up Seraphin + a top 3 protected pick next year for the #6 to nab him.

Edit: NBADRAFT.NET not even trying anymore.

1. Davis
2. Drummond
3. T-Rob
4. Barnes
5. MKG
6. Lillard
7. Beal

SMH

2nd edit:

According to several NBA front-office execs, Jordan is deciding whether to take North Carolina small forward Harrison Barnes, Kansas power forward Thomas Robinson or Florida shooting guard Bradley Beal with the No. 2 pick.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... ?track=rss

Somebody see if DY is ok

According to several NBA front-office execs, Jordan is deciding whether to take North Carolina small forward Harrison Barnes, Kansas power forward Thomas Robinson or Florida shooting guard Bradley Beal with the No. 2 pick.

I ain't even mad. I always knew no matter which pick we ended up with, Barnes would be considered. Greatest Ever looks out for his Carolina boys.

Personally, I'd be happiest to see us trade the pick for more picks. It's not like anyone of these guys would be enough to make us good (even Davis), we'll probably have a high lottery pick next year too. But it looks like a trade's not being considered.

Beal intrigues me though. The few Florida games I watched this year, he played pretty well, but I'd need to watch some more tape to get a good feel for his game.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I don't think anyone is a clear #2.

MJ liked Gay over Ammo when most were calling him Bird 2.0. 2-9 don't have that big of a difference anyways..

Blackace

I ain't even mad. I always knew no matter which pick we ended up with, Barnes would be considered. Greatest Ever looks out for his Carolina boys.

Personally, I'd be happiest to see us trade the pick for more picks. It's not like anyone of these guys would be enough to make us good (even Davis), we'll probably have a high lottery pick next year too. But it looks like a trade's not being considered.

Beal intrigues me though. The few Florida games I watched this year, he played pretty well, but I'd need to watch some more tape to get a good feel for his game.

Bobcat legend Brandon Wright knows all about that!

pilonv1

1. Davis
2. Drummond
3. T-Rob
4. Barnes
5. MKG
6. Lillard
7. Beal

SMH

Warriors would only be taking Beal as a BPA deal or to trade later. He's not filling a need, and surely there's no way he falls past the Blazers.

Warriors would only be taking Beal as a BPA deal or to trade later. He's not filling a need, and surely there's no way he falls past the Blazers.

Iguodala Future bro.

We are supposed to love Beal. GS has been linked to Iggy forever.

It gon happen.

no it won't Al Jefferson Futures for me. FML

Blackace

Drummond has defensive potential though. I'm more interested in how his defensive awareness is. If you have a big that can recover well on PNR defense then you've got a really valuable piece, especially at his size and length. Limiting him to a Tyson Chandler role would be smart.

Scary thing there is the defensive glass though. Being a good guy on the offensive boards but sucking on the defensive glass means you're just missing your own shot and getting the rebound.

I'd be willing to give up Seraphin + a top 3 protected pick next year for the #6 to nab him.

1. Davis
2. Drummond
3. T-Rob
4. Barnes
5. MKG
6. Lillard
7. Beal

SMH

2nd edit:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... ?track=rss

Somebody see if DY is ok

NBAdraft has been pretty close the last few years tho..

Really I do not see Drumm going 2nd tho..

Blackace

the blazers have been real high on Lillard tho..

pilonv1

the blazers have been real high on Lillard tho..

If Beal is there at #6 I think they'd gamble, unlikely the Warriors/Raps/Pistons will take a PG. Then you're fighting with the Hornets at #10 for Lillard/Marshall.

If Beal is off the board then I can see them going for Lillard at #6.

The one thing I'm excited about is that even more than last year, the top 10 of this draft is going to be unpredictable.

THRILLH0

Banned
Alright trade machine wizards, figure out how we can get Wade in a Bulls uni next season.

After being blamed for every one of the Heat's problems and shipped out of the town he brought a first chip to, his revenge tour would be absolutely glorious.

Blackace

If Beal is there at #6 I think they'd gamble, unlikely the Warriors/Raps/Pistons will take a PG. Then you're fighting with the Hornets at #10 for Lillard/Marshall.

If Beal is off the board then I can see them going for Lillard at #6.

The one thing I'm excited about is that even more than last year, the top 10 of this draft is going to be unpredictable.

Lillard is more a combo and I wouldn't be shocked to see the Raps pick him.. if the Blazers don't

I am pumped for this draft.. I think it is super talented... Not sure how many HoF players... but plenty of possible all-stars..

Blackace

Alright trade machine wizards, figure out how we can get Wade in a Bulls uni next season.

After being blamed for every one of the Heat's problems and shipped out of the town he brought a first chip to, his revenge tour would be absolutely glorious.

yeah the Bulls need another guard who can't shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom