• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Ua0Dp.gif

Since Barkley, name a 6'8 PF that has genuinely been considered Top Tier. Top 3 active PF.

The closest thing to it is Milsap, and he suffers a lot because of it.

He's a SF if you want to make simple declaratives.
Did you see the image I just posted?

Kevin Love is 6'8-9.

Height does not dictate position. If you watched any Wolves games this year you would have seen that DWill spent the lions share of his minutes at the 4 when Love was on the bench or with Love at the 5

The coaching staff wants him to play at the 3, but they realized that his playstyle/defensive skills are much more suited to the PF position at training camp.

Personally, I hope he learns the 3. As of now though, his footwork when driving to the lane is kind of sloppy, his ballhandling isn't all that great, and his passing is nonexistent. His D is also suspect.

Also, why are we talking about "top tier" PFs? Why does that matter? DWill is a tweener coming off of his rookie season.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Adrian Wojnarowski WojYahooNBA

Also, Michael Jordan doesn't want to pay for a basketball coach. And clearly that's part of hiring Mike Dunlap, a Big East assistant coach.

giri

Did you see the image I just posted?

Kevin Love is 6'8-9.

Height does not dictate position. If you watched any Wolves games this year you would have seen that DWill spent the lions share of his minutes at the 4 when Love was on the bench or with Love at the 5

The coaching staff wants him to play at the 3, but they realized that his playstyle/defensive skills are much more suited to the PF position at training camp.

Personally, I hope he learns the 3. As of now though, his footwork when driving to the lane is kind of sloppy, his ballhandling isn't all that great, and his passing is nonexistent. His D is also suspect.

Also, why are we talking about "top tier" PFs? Why does that matter? DWill is a tweener coming off of his rookie season.

Sigh. This whole post. Sigh.

Derrick Williams may not be a top tier PF, but isn't that a much better position for him than SF? I don't think he has the handles, defense or shot to play SF.

THRILLH0

Banned
Retroactive penalties for floppers is a terrible idea and will actually make things worse.

If i'm Chris Paul or Blake Griffin, sure i'll cut down my flopping during the regular season and during the first 3 quarters of games. However, when it comes to crunch time and a flop is going to put me on the line for winning free throws, i'm not going to give a fuck about any potential fine or being called out by the league office tomorrow so i'm going down.

Now, because the refs have seen a general decrease in flopping, they're going to be more likely to call a foul than they would be if i'd been going down easy all season/game, hence we're going to see more games decided by bogus calls.

Branduil

Retroactive penalties for floppers is a terrible idea and will actually make things worse.

If i'm Chris Paul or Blake Griffin, sure i'll cut down my flopping during the regular season and during the first 3 quarters of games. However, when it comes to crunch time and a flop is going to put me on the line for winning free throws, i'm not going to give a fuck about any potential fine or being called out by the league office tomorrow so i'm going down.

Now, because the refs have seen a general decrease in flopping, they're going to be more likely to call a foul than they would be if i'd been going down easy all season/game, hence we're going to see more games decided by bogus calls.

Add extra booth referees for playoff games who review all foul calls for potential flops. And huge fines for players who do it.

Also, the lack of regular season practice will make it harder for them to flop.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Scott Brooks turned down a 3 year 11 million extension with the Thunder? wow after they lose and he is replaced with coaching legend Sloan he will feel stupid..

Also what are sme of the names coming up for the Blazers coaching job?

THRILLH0

Banned
Add extra booth referees for playoff games who review all foul calls for potential flops. And huge fines for players who do it.

Also, the lack of regular season practice will make it harder for them to flop.

This, I agree with. The first couple of months will be brutal until players adjust but after that, it won't intrude on the game much.

I fucking died inside when JVG acknowledged players working on their flopping so your second point may be scarily accurate.

linsivvi

Not if the penalty involves suspension.

Flop to win game 3, sits out the rest of the series.

Not that I trust the league would dare to do that, but the idea behind it is sound.

Blackace

Not if the penalty involves suspension.

Flop to win game 3, sits out the rest of the series.

Not that I trust the league would dare to do that, but the idea behind it is sound.
That's ridiculous...

Speculation is that the Cats are looking at Trob and Barnes.

Anyone have insider? MKG supposedly ranked really well in Holingers stat based model which is interesting since intangibles arent taken into consideration...

benjipwns

Banned
Anyone have insider? MKG supposedly ranked really well in Holingers stat based model which is interesting since intangibles arent taken into consideration...
Define "ranked well."

Hollinger has him third in the draft. And that's his opinion*. His projected PER puts him about 10th.

*Blackace, etc. let me know if this is too much:
Kidd-Gilchrist is probably the safest pick on the board -- a big wing who plays defense, has strong stats and comes with no character questions. From a risk-aversion perspective alone he should be a top-five pick; I have him third on my board after Robinson. (See below for how I would rank the prospects, regardless of their Draft Rater numbers.)

Keep in mind, Hollinger also said this:
John Hollinger (12:28 PM)

Here's the real problem: Nobody is qualified to be the No. 2 pick. When I ran my #s it's basically one overwhelming talent (Davis) and a bunch of guys who would look really good if you're picking fifth.

Blackace

Yeah I am really high on MKG and think he should go 2nd

I spent some time last night and this morning reading about Dunlap and I've decided that I'm behind the decision 100 percent. He apparently has an abrasive personality, dislikes recruiting, and won't coddle spoiled, entitled players. I love that, Tyrus Thomas meet your worst nightmare. I also imagine this is probably why he didn't get hired as a HC at Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Arizona, and the Bulls even though they all showed serious interest in him.

That said I like his resume. He dominated at the DII level, has coached overseas, has coached extensively at the DI level, and also has two years of NBA experience with the Nuggets. Currently, with the plan we have of building a team through the draft that can compete for the long-term, we need a coach that understands that winning now isn't the objective. I think Dunlap understands that and will act accordingly by focusing on developing our young players.

Yup. I have hope that the coaching staff has him working towards playing the 3/developing the body of a 3 but as of last year he is def a PF...

He has a high enough skill level when it comes to shooting and dribbling to play the 3, I think his weight is the biggest factor preventing him from making the transition though. Losing about 15 lbs is what he needs to do. It will increase his agility and speed and make him a much better perimeter defender. It will also make his footwork better, which should improve both his shooting and dribbling ability. We shall see though, I just don't like the idea of Williams playing the 4. At SF he has the potential to be a real impact player, as a 4 he will just be average.

charsace

I assume rudy gay, Melo, LBJ, and durant all put up similar physical numbers.

D-Will might be good in the PnR, but he's no PF.

All the guys you listed would have played pf in the 80's and 90's. Shawn Kemp, Karl Malone and Barkley would all play sf if they were prospects today.

The difference between those guys and D Will is that they are athletic enough to play either forward position and even sg at times. Williams isn't that type of athlete. Williams has more in common with Griffin and Amar'e. Athletic, but not quick enough and fast enough or skilled enough to excel at the 3. Right now Williams looks like he will go the way of Beasley. Williams needs to get tougher quick and accept playing the 4 or he will most likely end up a less than mediocre 3 like Beasley. Williams has allstar potential at the 4 imo.

And the Cats need to take MKG. I think TRob is a guy that will end up being a slightly above average catch and shoot 4 that can rebound. Kind of like Oakley.

Blackace

All the guys you listed would have played pf in the 80's and 90's. Shawn Kemp, Karl Malone and Barkley would all play sf if they were prospects today.

The difference between those guys and D Will is that they are athletic enough to play either forward position and even sg at times. Williams isn't that type of athlete. Williams has more in common with Griffin and Amar'e. Athletic, but not quick enough and fast enough or skilled enough to excel at the 3. Right now Williams looks like he will go the way of Beasley. Williams needs to get tougher quick and accept playing the 4 or he will most likely end up a less than mediocre 3 like Beasley.

Nope... There were plenty of 6'8" to 6'10 SF in the NBA in the 80s and 90s

Det, Kiki, McKey, pip, Rice, Cliff Robinson, Kersey, KG (at the start of his career) and shitloads more.. Some players are just SF at 6'9".. Kemp and Malone were PFs...it's like Maxwell paying the PF at 6'7" in Det..

charsace

Nope... There were plenty of 6'8" to 6'10 SF in the NBA in the 80s and 90s

Det, Kiki, McKey, pip, Rice, Cliff Robinson, Kersey, KG (at the start of his career) and shitloads more.. Some players are just SF at 6'9".. Kemp and Malone were PFs...it's like Maxwell paying the PF at 6'7" in Det..

I understand that. Guys like Carmelo and Lebron have the bodies of pf though. And the athletic ability to play the 3, which is why they play the 3 where they have a bigger advantage over the average 3.

In today's basketball climate I think Barkley, Kemp and Malone would have gotten tried at the 3 in HS because they are very athletic and the NBA currently likes to have all their super athletic guys playing on the perimeter.

Blackace

I understand that. Guys like Carmelo and Lebron have the bodies of pf though. And the athletic ability to play the 3, which is why they play the 3 where they have a bigger advantage over the average 3.

In today's basketball climate I think Barkley, Kemp and Malone would have gotten tried at the 3 in HS because they are very athletic and the NBA currently likes to have all their super athletic guys playing on the perimeter.

So Blake and Amare played the 3 because.. Oh wait they didn't... Ever..

If you have any pivot game they will try you at 4 first.. Ask guys like Beas or Lewis..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom