• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Ken Berger said:
Souce confirms @DraftExpress report that Hornets have agreed to trade Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza to Wizards for Rashard Lewis, 46th pick.

what?

That's a fuckton of money for two centers.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
How does Ernie Grunfeld still have a job?

E: The Wizards are taking back ~$42M in committed salary over the next two years for a player that is redundant and another that sucks.

Is it any wonder why they're terrible?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
How does Ernie Grunfeld still have a job?

I don't know. They got rid of Lewis' expiring contract and now have on roster:

1) Nene (4yrs, $52mil)
2) Okafor (2yrs, $28mil)
3) Ariza (2yrs, $15mil)

Wow. 2/3 of their cap is used up by those three players.

Ken Berger said:
After turning Gilbert Arenas' bad contract into Lewis' worse, longer contract, Wizards now parlaying that into contracts with one more year.

wooow

Cheddahz

Banned
I think this is a good trade for the Wizards. Rashard Lewis has declined since he arrived in Washington and now Okafor and Nene can share time together

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
And the Hornets can buy out Rashard's contract too. They're saving like $30 million. They have the #1 pick and still have Gordon.

You people really think Grunfeld did this deal? Stern is running it all. Why isn't he stepping in for basketball reasons? No fucking idea what the Wizards are doing. But it's ugly.

Jonm1010

Banned
I assume the plan is to buy out Rashard Lewis for 14 million which will clear 14 million from our cap space this year and then we clear 22 million from next year.

If that's the plan I like the move. I've been frustrated with Ariza for some time now and oak, while decent, is just paid far too much for what he brings.

I think this is a good trade for the Wizards. Rashard Lewis has declined since he arrived in Washington and now Okafor and Nene can share time together
barkley-head-shake-o.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wizards won't be the worst team in the NBA anymore. They'll still be bad though.

The worst team in the NBA isn't the team with the worst record. It's the team that is loaded with awful shitty contracts that still can't even make the playoffs or if they do they get the #8 seed and then crushed in the first round.

The Wizards are now a poor mans Knicks.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Pretty sure the Wizards are going to amensty Blatche now right? It really doesn't make any sense to keep him.

How much cap space do the Hornets have? It's got to be some absolutely ridiculous number now.

Jonm1010

Banned
Pretty sure the Wizards are going to amensty Blatche now right? It really doesn't make any sense to keep him.

How much cap space do the Hornets have? It's got to be some absolutely ridiculous number now.

It actually goes up now, unless we are planning to buy him out for 14 million(his salary is 22 million but he has a buy out clause for around 14 million), which I hope is the plan. Otherwise I don't understand the trade.

If we buy him out we save 6 million this year and 22 million next(I believe).

1) Nene (4 years, $52mil)
2) Okafor (2 years, $28mil)
3) Blatche (3 years, $23M)

Now Nene is kinda overpaid at C, but he can be a 20/8 guy in the East. Okafor is your PF I'd think (hella overpaid) but he replaces McGee for shotblocking and isn't a Grade A moron. Blatche makes the least per year of the three but you gotta amnesty that mofo ASAP. Finish the job of getting all the morons off the team.

The thing is, it's going to be kinda of hard for Wall to run with a Nene/Okafor starting lineup. Nene wasn't exactly in great shape last year and Okafor... dose hands, man.

Code:
21	Morris Almond	SG	27	6-6	225	Rice	        $75,793
7	Andray Blatche	PF	25	6-11	260	 	        $6,442,083
35	Trevor Booker	PF	24	6-8	240	Clemson	$1,294,920
43	Brian Cook	PF	31	6-9	250	Illinois	$1,223,166
15	Jordan Crawford	SG	23	6-4	195	Xavier	$1,120,440
6	Maurice Evans	SF	33	6-5	220	Texas	$854,389
22	Shelvin Mack	G	22	6-3	207	Butler	$473,604
20	Cartier Martin	GF	27	6-7	220	Kansas State	$199,816
42	Nene	        C	29	6-11	250	 	        $13,000,000
13	Kevin Seraphin	F	22	6-9	275	 	        $1,680,360
31	Chris Singleton	SF	22	6-8	230	Florida State	$1,485,000
3	James Singleton	PF	30	6-8	230	Murray State	$151,585
24	Jan Vesely	F	22	6-11	240	 	       $3,065,040
2	John Wall	PG	21	6-4	195	Kentucky	$5,530,080
Assuming Blatche is amnestied Wizards starting Lineup:

C - Nene
PF - Okafor
SF - Ariza or Singleton?
SG - ?
PG Wall

1) Nene (4 years, $52mil)
2) Okafor (2 years, $28mil)
3) Blatche (3 years, $23M)

Now Nene is kinda overpaid at C, but he can be a 20/8 guy in the East. Okafor is your PF I'd think (hella overpaid) but he replaces McGee for shotblocking and isn't a Grade A moron. Blatche makes the least per year of the three but you gotta amnesty that mofo ASAP. Finish the job of getting all the morons off the team.

The thing is, it's going to be kinda of hard for Wall to run with a Nene/Okafor starting lineup. Nene wasn't exactly in great shape last year and Okafor... dose hands, man.

I think it's safe to say at this point that Wall is going to get as far away from Washington as he can when he fits free agency.

Jonm1010

Banned
The Hornets, sources say, are planning to waive Lewis before July 1 to slice roughly $10 million off the $24 million that he is owed in 2012-13. With the resultant financial flexibility, New Orleans is confident in its ability to re-sign restricted free agent Eric Gordon this summer to ensure it doesn't lose the best player it received in exchange for face-of-the-franchise Chris Paul in December.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8...-emeka-okafor-trevor-ariza-rashard-lewis-pick

Good to hear that's the plan. Should allow us to make a run at a solid contributor this year and a max guy next year......though I still can't fathom a superstar coming to new Orleans unless we make a run this year.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
this is ariza's 4th team in 4 years? Shouldve taken the money, greedy dick. You could have still been in LA instead of bouncing around shitty teams

Jonm1010

Banned
You probably can't get a max guy next year, but you can pay a guy the max. Harden future my man.

That's why I hope our new regime will be more value conscious going forward. We're not a destination spot and the last thing we need to do is rush out and sign another Peja or Posey type contract this or next year that strangles us for five years and sets us back long term.

I'd rather nab some role players, tank again this season and then grab a good starter in FA next year, hopefully draft well, and go more of the Thunder route. Slowly uild instead of trying to force it.

Wtf is happening??

Is this good or bad. I have barely seen Okafor/Ariza play.
I guess it depends on whose team you root for? For us it's great.........and you didn't see them play because they were injured most of the year. They are 4th and 5th options on a championship type team(though ariza thinks he's a first or second option) and both are really solid defensively

At this rate NOLA is going to be the Miami Heat of the West, and deservedly so in my opinion. I hope hornets fans like hate because they're going to be getting a steady diet of it.

KingGondo

Banned
That's why I hope our new regime will be more value conscious going forward. We're not a destination spot and the last thing we need to do is rush out and sign another Peja or Posey type contract this or next year that strangles us for five years and sets us back long term.

I'd rather nab some role players, tank again this season and then grab a good starter in FA next year, hopefully draft well, and go more of the Thunder route. Slowly uild instead of trying to force it.
I'd say the Hornets are off to a damn good start if they keep Gordon and Davis turns out to be as good as we think.

Mothman91

At this rate NOLA is going to be the Miami Heat of the West, and deservedly so in my opinion. I hope hornets fans like hate because they're going to be getting a steady diet of it.
Them getting hate?

Hell no, if any team is going to be the Heat of the west, it might as well be the Lakers.

Jonm1010

Banned
1) Basketball Reasons
2) The 2012 Lottery
3) This horribly one-sided trade

Eric Gordon wishes he had the acting ability of Wade.

So basically hated by people that are mad because Stern overrode Demps boneheaded trade, who also happen to be idiotic conspiracy theorists and don't realize that the ownership transfer finalized on Friday - or I guess maybe your implying with number three that good moves by GM's should be hated now?..........Got it!

So basically hated by people that are mad because Stern overrode Demps boneheaded trade, who also happen to be idiotic conspiracy theorists and don't realize that the ownership transfer finalized on Friday - or I guess maybe your implying with number three that good GM's should be hated now?..........Got it!
Not to mention the Lottery was witness by like every team in the Lottery making it virtually impossible to rig.

So basically hated by people that are mad because Stern overrode Demps boneheaded trade, who also happen to be idiotic conspiracy theorists and don't realize that the ownership transfer finalized on Friday - or I guess maybe your implying with number three that good moves by GM's should be hated now?..........Got it!

The Stern vetoed trade is a legitimate reason to dislike the Hornets, so no real refutation there. The lottery was just pure luck, and for an already incredibly lucky franchise it was just icing on the crap cake for a Bobcat fan like me. And this trade just doesn't make any sense from the Wizards POV. Their GM has already proven himself to be retarded though so point conceded there I guess.

Wait, now 4 of the Wizards' 5 best players are big men (Nene, Okafor, Seraphin, Booker) and the guy they drafted 6th overall last year is also a big man, what is the plan?

Jonm1010

Banned
The Stern vetoed trade is a legitimate reason to dislike the Hornets, so no real refutation there. The lottery was just pure luck, and for an already incredibly lucky franchise it was just icing on the crap cake for a Bobcat fan like me. And this trade just doesn't make any sense from the Wizards POV. Their GM has already proven himself to be retarded though so point conceded there I guess.

I'd say after years of Shinn and Bower and losing CP3 we deserve a little bit of luck here.

And why does Sterns veto carry over to a regime that literally had nothing to do with Sterns actions? I guess I could see that being a legitimate reason to hate Stern, but not quite understanding why the Hornets would deserve that blame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom