• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuC

When you've got a top 15 player in the NBA in his prime, it's the perfect time to select a guy who isn't going to be good for at least four years when that star player's contract will expire.

Portland isn't winning a title any time soon regardless of what they do with that pick, might as well take the 5 with the most potential.

If Enes Kanter can go 3 last year, Drummond going 6 isn't a big deal.

Portland isn't winning a title any time soon regardless of what they do with that pick, might as well take the 5 with the most potential.

Most teams are not going to win titles, it just seems stupid to have a star player and a fairly decent core and then turn it into something that will probably never win a playoff series by spending top ten picks on guys who won't be able to contribute before LMA leaves in free agency.

abuC

Most teams are not going to win titles, it just seems stupid to have a star player and a fairly decent core and then turn it into something that will probably never win a playoff series by spending top ten picks on guys who won't be able to contribute before LMA leaves in free agency.

Outside of Damian Lillard, who could they draft @ 6 that will have some major impact and can contribute to winning a series? And Lillard isn't a sure thing either, he might just be a undersized 2 masquerading at PG.

I don't think anyone is really going to give up much in a trade for the 6th pick either, they're in a tough spot as far as draft position is concerned. They take Lillard and Aldridge will have to spend more time at Center next year, they take Drummond and they have to wait a few years to see if he develops.

Whether or not the Blazers take Drummond isn't going to affect whether or not LMA plays a lot at center next year. Drummond isn't good enough to get minutes in the NBA for a playoff contender yet and probably won't be for a while.

pilonv1

So Barnes cancelled his workout with the Kings and Robinson isn't working out with the Kings either. Best Case Scenario: MKG falls to Kings.

Probably the best situation for the Kings. Now if only they could move everyone besides Thomas and Cousins.

Also means Drummond is there at #6 which should have reilo doing backflips.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Could the Kings afford Iguodala? A Tyreke/5 for Iguodala/Turner swap would help both teams I think.

I think that hurts the Kings more than it helps them.

Turner is fairly overrated..

The Kings would be better off getting younger on the wing and trading Tyreke for another damaged player like Jennings or Monta..

Blackace

I thought Kanter wasn't a great pick.. but the Jazz were in full break it down mode..

Portland actually could be a decent playoff team with a few good moves and perhaps play their way into the finals from there..

pilonv1

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...zeller-and-the-current-most-likely-scenarios/

But for now, let’s start with a base assumption: If Harrison Barnes slips through, the Warriors would be happy to take him, and if he doesn’t, Tyler Zeller is the big-man fall-back.

Until everything changes, then changes 15 more times, until we could all end up back where we started.

If they take Zeller at #7 I will riot. If you're going to go big then at least reach with Leonard. I can't believe they would take Zeller at seven.

I think that hurts the Kings more than it helps them.

Turner is fairly overrated..

The Kings would be better off getting younger on the wing and trading Tyreke for another damaged player like Jennings or Monta..

God no, stay away from those two bastard players.

pilonv1

I'm 100% convinced that Zeller at #7 is a West smokescreen. Waiters, Moultrie, Leonard all seem more like a West pick.

Given Curry's ankles, I'd take Lillard if Drummond/Barnes are gone. Plus he's an Oakland native.

giri

I thought Kanter wasn't a great pick.. but the Jazz were in full break it down mode..

Portland actually could be a decent playoff team with a few good moves and perhaps play their way into the finals from there..

Portland? They need more than a few things to go their way.

They have one legitimate person to build around, LMA, who has had only one legitimate "franchise" season.

Then you have Crawford and Felton, who are only there still cause they couldn't find anyone who would take them on board. Were both massive cancers on the team. Huge locker room problems.

Wes Matthews who is a good SG, but he's no all-star.

And Batum who is a solid player.

They got rid of their long time coach. Have no other quality big. An owner that has made their GM seat a turn style.

Portland are bit of a mess right now.

They got picks this year, they need both those to work out well for them for there to be any short term turn around. And they need good --> great trades for Felton and Crawford, with no quality filler to add to the trades.

giri

At least Monta can shoot..

Zeke
Monta
MGK
Hayes/Thompson
DMC

would be a decent little starting lineup..

Thats a fairly horrible starting lineup :| you basically would need DMC to put up 30 & 15 every night to win.

For the record, i don't think there's an easy trade for the kings out there to solve their back court/wing problem.

They could do worse than trying to swap tyreke for rondo though. Atleast DMC would start to get the ball in good spots.

pilonv1

At least Monta can shoot..

Zeke
Monta
MGK
Hayes/Thompson
DMC

would be a decent little starting lineup..

MKG would be the only one playing any defense. They'd give up even more than the Kings currently do. They've already got Thornton, no need to the real version of Monta when you have Monta-lite

Blackace

Portland? They need more than a few things to go their way.

They have one legitimate person to build around, LMA, who has had only one legitimate "franchise" season.

Then you have Crawford and Felton, who are only there still cause they couldn't find anyone who would take them on board. Were both massive cancers on the team. Huge locker room problems.

Wes Matthews who is a good SG, but he's no all-star.

And Batum who is a solid player.

They got rid of their long time coach. Have no other quality big. An owner that has made their GM seat a turn style.

Portland are bit of a mess right now.

They got picks this year, they need both those to work out well for them for there to be any short term turn around. And they need good --> great trades for Felton and Crawford, with no quality filler to add to the trades.

I kind of see them with a clean slate, with picks and a star to bulid around..

If I look at their cap correctly.. they have only 35 mil in contracts and if Crawford looks for another team like it seems like he is doing.. that could drop to 29...

Blackace

Thats a fairly horrible starting lineup :| you basically would need DMC to put up 30 & 15 every night to win.

Not really.. Monta is a better player than Reke.. so basically you would just be upgrading the SG position..

For the Bucks it gives a player at the G spot who MIGHT pass..

giri

If I look at their cap correctly.. they have only 35 mil in contracts and if Crawford looks for another team like it seems like he is doing.. that could drop to 29...

And spend it on? (Knowing that they HAVE to spend).

They've got a lot of things to clean up this year. And it starts by trying to get rid of 2 out of their best 3 in the back court. That doesn't spell great things incoming, to me.

Blackace

And spend it on? (Knowing that they HAVE to spend).

They've got a lot of things to clean up this year. And it starts by trying to get rid of 2 out of their best 3 in the back court. That doesn't spell great things incoming, to me.

I really believe that a player like Ross can impact that team from day one like a Roy..

I wouldn't be shocked to see them throw money at D-Will.. I know I would if I had all that cap..

giri

Not really.. Monta is a better player than Reke.. so basically you would just be upgrading the SG position..

For the Bucks it gives a player at the G spot who MIGHT pass..

Right. But their long term fortune is bound to DMC's ceiling. Monta isn't really going to help DMC a whole ton, if anything, he'd take shots away from / force him into bad spots.

I think if you're going to have Monta on that team, you need a much more forceful PG and a coach that will keep him heavily in check. Neither of which the Kings possess. I love Monta's skills but... yeah, having him as your number 1 option hasn't worked for anyone.

I really believe that a player like Ross can impact that team from day one like a Roy..

I wouldn't be shocked to see them throw money at D-Will.. I know I would if I had all that cap..

Whats there for Deron though. LMA? He'd be just as well served (maybe a little better) teaming up with Dwight somewhere. Or going to the Mavs.

The only upside for it is that Deron and Matthews were good friends in Utah.

Blackace

Right. But their long term fortune is bound to DMC's ceiling. Monta isn't really going to help DMC a whole ton, if anything, he'd take shots away from / force him into bad spots.

I think if you're going to have Monta on that team, you need a much more forceful PG and a coach that will keep him heavily in check. Neither of which the Kings possess. I love Monta's skills but... yeah, having him as your number 1 option hasn't worked for anyone.

Whats there for Deron though. LMA? He'd be just as well served (maybe a little better) teaming up with Dwight somewhere. Or going to the Mavs.

The only upside for it is that Deron and Matthews were good friends in Utah.

Point one.. Monta has never been teamed with a big.. DMC and Monta in a pick and roll could make for a fun season.. it's not a championship team but they could be tough with that lineup IMO..

point two.. No other team has a star, tons of young talent coming in and cap space to make moves.. Dallas has a slim window imo and NJ has some of the most retarded contacts on the planet tying up their space.. Teaming up with Dwight could be a good look.. but where is the question.

thekad

Banned
Morey is going to trade up for Drummond. It's inevitable.

I want someone to take a chance on Drummond and for him to prove IWMTB wrong, but I don't want it to be us :(

giri

Point one.. Monta has never been teamed with a big.. DMC and Monta in a pick and roll could make for a fun season.. it's not a championship team but they could be tough with that lineup IMO..

point two.. No other team has a star, tons of young talent coming in and cap space to make moves.. Dallas has a slim window imo and NJ has some of the most retarded contacts on the planet tying up their space.. Teaming up with Dwight could be a good look.. but where is the question.

On the Deron front... Why wouldn't the Kings trade for him? I mean, if you're being real, that whole team outside DMC is on the trading block.

Dallas has a 2 year or so window, i agree.

And there are a few teams with tons of talent that he could go to. Utah (lol), Kings, Hell the Pacers have cap space this Off Season i believe. And that would be much more enticing to me, than portland.

Hibbert, D.West, Granger, George, Deron is also a BIG ass team.

Pacers onl have 36M on the books for next season.

Hornets, Drummond, Eric Gordon ...

If he wanted to just throw it in, there are a few options.

Blackace

On the Deron front... Why wouldn't the Kings trade for him? I mean, if you're being real, that whole team outside DMC is on the trading block.

Dallas has a 2 year or so window, i agree.

And there are a few teams with tons of talent that he could go to. Utah (lol), Kings, Hell the Pacers have cap space this Off Season i believe. And that would be much more enticing to me, than portland.

Hibbert, D.West, Granger, George, Deron is also a BIG ass team.

Pacers onl have 36M on the books for next season.

Hornets, Drummond, Eric Gordon ...

If he wanted to just throw it in, there are a few options.

the problem with the Pacers is it is in Indiana..

The Hornets don't have a proven big and a SG who thinks he is a PG..

Going to Portland wouldn't be mailing it in..

giri

the problem with the Pacers is it is in Indiana..

The Hornets don't have a proven big and a SG who thinks he is a PG..

Going to Portland wouldn't be mailing it in..

Thats fairly trivial reasons for dismissing teams in better positions than Portland.

Portland haven't finished their clear out yet... he would just be mailing in another season.

Blackace

Thats fairly trivial reasons for dismissing teams in better positions than Portland.

Portland haven't finished their clear out yet... he would just be mailing in another season.

Portland isn't exactly a hot bed for FA as well.. but really who was the last big named FA the Pacers got?

This is all hearsay but from all of the college players and few pro players I know in any professional sports blacks don't really like In.. Don't want to state it like FACT but just from the stories I have heard.. yeah doesn't do well for their FA chances in the NBA..

giri

Portland isn't exactly a hot bed for FA as well.. but really who was the last big named FA the Pacers got?

This is all hearsay but from all of the college players and few pro players I know in any professional sports blacks don't really like In.. Don't want to state it like FACT but just from the stories I have heard.. yeah doesn't do well for their FA chances in the NBA..

D.West?

And Derons not Black ...

And yeah, we're just saying shit. But i don't see how you can put Portland, when looking at, ahem, basketball reasons, ahead of some other teams with money to throw around.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Now if Magic will hurry up and hire Shaw before the draft. . .

Yeah that'd be great. Doesn't look like there will be a coach in place before the draft though. Guess there are higher priorities like figuring out what the hell to do with Dwight and the draft itself.

Blackace

D.West?

And Derons not Black ...

And yeah, we're just saying shit. But i don't see how you can put Portland, when looking at, ahem, basketball reasons, ahead of some other teams with money to throw around.

Huh? trust me half white is all "ni@@er"

And I think Portland would be a good fit for basketball reasons.. not that it will be the fit that happens or whatever..

Are you serious? Portland was competing for a 6 to 8 playoff seed in the West before they decided to shut things down. A lineup of Deron Williams, Wes Matthews, Nicolas Batum, LMA, and whatever big they select in the draft would be a pretty damn good team. They'd also have a decent bench with Hickson, Babbitt, their other 1st this year, and whoever else they bring in during free agency. They'd be a top 5 seed in the West, without a doubt.

Canuck76

Banned

Agreed i also see it as a bit of a clean slate. Honestly, i think Felton really stunted both Wesley and Nic's growth and both of those guys are better than last season. Batum is a possible all-star if he continues to develop, and i think Wesley will perform much better, given pressure from Waiters and Elliot coming in.

If we can get Dragic in FA then i think we could hit 8th seed at the least and maybe have a Cinderella run to the second round.

This is a hungry team though that knows they're much, much better than last year and i think will come back hard.

giri

Are you serious? Portland was competing for a 6 to 8 playoff seed in the West before they decided to shut things down. A lineup of Deron Williams, Wes Matthews, Nicolas Batum, LMA, and whatever big they select in the draft would be a pretty damn good team. They'd also have a decent bench with Hickson, Babbitt, their other 1st this year, and whoever else they bring in during free agency. They'd be a top 5 seed in the West, without a doubt.

I wouldn't take standing too far into account when the guy that got them there (Mac 10) got fired when his players were sick of playing hard and made the FO choose, them or the coach. And they only fired the coach because no one would trade for the players.

Agreed i also see it as a bit of a clean slate. Honestly, i think Felton really stunted both Wesley and Nic's growth and both of those guys are better than last season. Batum is a possible all-star if he continues to develop, and i think Wesley will perform much better, given pressure from Waiters and Elliot coming in.

If we can get Dragic in FA then i think we could hit 8th seed at the least and maybe have a Cinderella run to the second round.

This is a hungry team though that knows they're much, much better than last year and i think will come back hard.
Hungry team? after the above?Nope. No way, no sir, no how. That is a completely incorrect statement.

Wes is who he is. I like Wes Matthews, the best part of his game is that HE knows who he is. Portland got in trouble last year by asking him to do things he isn't good at.

Batum is going to be an all star? over who? Durant or LMA or blake griffin or Love? He's not even better than rudy gay or Z-bo. Sit down homer town. Batum can pencil in his vacation in france right now for the all star weekend.

abuC

Whether or not the Blazers take Drummond isn't going to affect whether or not LMA plays a lot at center next year. Drummond isn't good enough to get minutes in the NBA for a playoff contender yet and probably won't be for a while.

They would give Drummond minutes out of necessity, if he can play even a hint of defense he'll get minutes.

Ace, I don't think Portland will be that great next year regardless of who they take, they look like they'll be a middle of the road team to me, kind of like Houston.

Anybody recognize any of the names on that roster?

I recognize Julius Randle and Rodney Purvis, not big on Purvis' game but Randle will be a stud in the NBA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vmt_24T4zE

That 2013 HS class has some good prospects.

Ernie just said the trade makes zero impact on the draft pick. Could be bs, hard to say. Seems impossible that they'd add MKG to this roster of non shooters but then again MKG could easily play SG.

I'm a little less salty on the deal now than earlier. At the end of the day this free agency class sucks real bad anyway and the only name I think we were considering targeting was Batum, who I'm not that high on anyway. And we still have assets to get another 1st rounder if we wanted. Whatever.

Then you think that being in Pacers territory is terrible but then you realize that next years draft is trash and it's hard to be mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom