• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Deron front... Why wouldn't the Kings trade for him? I mean, if you're being real, that whole team outside DMC is on the trading block.

Dallas has a 2 year or so window, i agree.

And there are a few teams with tons of talent that he could go to. Utah (lol), Kings, Hell the Pacers have cap space this Off Season i believe. And that would be much more enticing to me, than portland.

Hibbert, D.West, Granger, George, Deron is also a BIG ass team.

Pacers onl have 36M on the books for next season.

Hornets, Drummond, Eric Gordon ...

If he wanted to just throw it in, there are a few options.

Dallas doesn't have a slim window. Dallas has lots of money to play with, a great owner, and Dirk has at least four or five good years left in him. They're coach is also good.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Ernie just said the trade makes zero impact on the draft pick. Could be bs, hard to say. Seems impossible that they'd add MKG to this roster of non shooters but then again MKG could easily play SG.

I'm a little less salty on the deal now than earlier. At the end of the day this free agency class sucks real bad anyway and the only name I think we were considering targeting was Batum, who I'm not that high on anyway. And we still have assets to get another 1st rounder if we wanted. Whatever.

Then you think that being in Pacers territory is terrible but then you realize that next years draft is trash and it's hard to be mad.

I prefer my SG to be able to, you know, shoot.

Blackace

Dallas doesn't have a slim window. Dallas has lots of money to play with, a great owner, and Dirk has at least four or five good years left in him. They're coach is also good.

They do have a great owner.. coach.. well not so good..

Not trying to hate but I think Dirk declines fast when he does.. Big men often do.. But it is true he isn't a normal big man per se..

pilonv1

As long as Dirk can shoot he'll be able to contribute. I doubt he'll play big minutes again past next season, but if they can pair him next to a defensive centre you could cover him easily.

Blackace

As long as Dirk can shoot he'll be able to contribute. I doubt he'll play big minutes again past next season, but if they can pair him next to a defensive centre you could cover him easily.

They said that about Ray... if the ego could check-out, in 3 years Dirk would make the greatest 6th man ever

giri

Dirk is now 34. Has played 13 years in the NBA with lots of big minute seasons and post seasons under his belt. Once he hits 36, the window is done. He'll be useful, much like Nash still is. But not able to carry the load or burden.

They would need a new 2nd best player by then, so Dirk can be the 3rd best.

I hold reserve on judging carlisle these days, he did well last year. And they do have a great owner. But dirk isn't young by any measure.

Essentially.

pilonv1

Dirk doesn't need to guard players on the perimeter though. It's much harder to hide Ray against Dwayne Wade than it is to hide Dirk against say Blake Griffin or Kevin Love.

They said that about Ray... if the ego could check-out, in 3 years Dirk would make the greatest 6th man ever

Ray Allen has had major knee and ankle injuries for a while now. Dirk rarely gets injured. In fact, Dirk is one of the most reliable front court players in the NBA when it comes to games played. People keep on saying Dirk is going to decline, but I don't see it. The dude scored over 20 points a game this season and had a TERRIBLE first quarter of the season. Ray Allen always had to fight through screens and run around to get open--Dirk just shoots over the top of people. Big difference.

I don't really think it's going to be that easy to hide Dirk in the pick-and-roll in a traditional defensive system when he gets older, but the Mavs do weird stuff so maybe it could work.

Diehad, do you think the Jazz should extend Harris or get a replacement or just ride it out another year and decide in 2013?

Hungry team? after the above?Nope. No way, no sir, no how. That is a completely incorrect statement.

Wes is who he is. I like Wes Matthews, the best part of his game is that HE knows who he is. Portland got in trouble last year by asking him to do things he isn't good at.

Batum is going to be an all star? over who? Durant or LMA or blake griffin or Love? He's not even better than rudy gay or Z-bo. Sit down homer town. Batum can pencil in his vacation in france right now for the all star weekend.
You seriously underestimate the Felton effect. He literally choked the team to death with his awful PG play. Along with Crawford chucking up junk. The team was hard to watch. When Miller was there, the team played good basketball. Deron would elevate spot up shooters like Matthews and Batum. They need others to create for them and they are knock down shooters.

Either way, Deron ain't coming to Portland though I think it would be a wise basketball move.

I don't really think it's going to be that easy to hide Dirk in the pick-and-roll in a traditional defensive system when he gets older, but the Mavs do weird stuff so maybe it could work.

Diehad, do you think the Jazz should extend Harris or get a replacement or just ride it out another year and decide in 2013?

If you can score the ball in the NBA you don't need to be hidden. Nash falls in that category. Dirk is going to get playing time because he's a premier scorer. It's not like Dirk is a woeful defender. He may not be all defense first team, but he's a decent rebounder and he at least tries on defense. That's more than I can say about Nash.

Blackace

Dirk doesn't need to guard players on the perimeter though. It's much harder to hide Ray against Dwayne Wade than it is to hide Dirk against say Blake Griffin or Kevin Love.

It is going to harder and harder for him to mark the face up big man..

Not saying he will be hot trash or something.. but look TD... age catches up with you no matter how good and in shape you are.. Only Nash has found that fountain of youth..

If you can score the ball in the NBA you don't need to be hidden. Nash falls in that category. Dirk is going to get playing time because he's a premier scorer. It's not like Dirk is a woeful defender. He may not be all defense first team, but he's a decent rebounder and he at least tries on defense. That's more than I can say about Nash.

Ehh, Dirk's position matters a lot more than Nash's on defense. A bad defensive PG is barely noticeable if you have great help defending big men, a bad defensive big man kills your defense. That being said, Dirk is pretty decent to good defender right now.

Blackace

Nash hurts his team on D as much as he helps them.. I hear people say otherwise but what I see with my own eyes is him running away from the ball and flopping for charges..

Dirk is a good rebounder but those numbers have been on a steady decline the last few years.. You think he will be the same Dirk he was 2 years ago at 38?

Ehh, Dirk's position matters a lot more than Nash's on defense. A bad defensive PG is barely noticeable if you have great help defending big men, a bad defensive big man kills your defense. That being said, Dirk is pretty decent to good defender right now.

All they need is a quasi decent center behind him and he'll be fine. Tyson Chandler completely made up for any shortcoming Dirk has defensively and he was just one player. They have a ton of money to spend.

At 38, I can still see Dirk scoring over 20 points a game and I can still see him as a solid number two option. A Deron/Dirk pick and roll would be one of the most lethal things in the NBA. Deron made Boozer look like an all star.

Blackace

This is not true imo.. It is easier to hide (Magic Johnson) if you have a good front line.. But a great PG defender makes a d so good.. John Stockton should have taught you that..

pilonv1

The only reason I think Dirk has a chance is because the Mavs have the opportunity to completely redo their team and put players around him that will cover his weaknesses and play to his strengths.

I'd be a lot less positive about how many years Dirk could go if he was on a roster with a few overpriced big men and no salary cap room.

Blackace

All they need is a quasi decent center behind him and he'll be fine. Tyson Chandler completely made up for any shortcoming Dirk has defensively and he was just one player. They have a ton of money to spend.

At 38, I can still see Dirk scoring over 20 points a game and I can still see him as a solid number two option. A Deron/Dirk pick and roll would be one of the most lethal things in the NBA. Deron made Boozer look like an all star.

Most teams need a decent center...

This is not true imo.. It is easier to hide (Magic Johnson) if you have a good front line.. But a great PG defender makes a d so good.. John Stockton should have taught you that..

I would say that was a different era. Most PGs get blown by very easily now with the rule changes, the best defensive PGs are the ones who how to send the guy they're guarding to help and the ones who rotate back out to shooters well and that's less important than the help other positions can provide now.

giri

You seriously underestimate the Felton effect. He literally choked the team to death with his awful PG play. Along with Crawford chucking up junk. The team was hard to watch. When Miller was there, the team played good basketball. Deron would elevate spot up shooters like Matthews and Batum. They need others to create for them and they are knock down shooters.

Either way, Deron ain't coming to Portland though I think it would be a wise basketball move.

I don't underestimate the Felton Effect at all, I, along with DY have been clowning him for a while, before his knicks days even.

But i didn't expect him to be THAT much of a locker room cancer. And EVERYONE jumped on board that train, crawford was the co-conductor. Felton was terrible, but outside of Batum & LMA, apparently everyone jumped off the wagon, even Kurt Thomas, and said fuck this team and franchise.

So i have absolutely 0 faith in any of those guys turning it around any time soon. There's only 3 players on that Roster i'd keep, and only one that is untradeable.

PS, iv'e been loving Andre Miller for a while. Said at the time the trade for felton was dumb dumb dumb.

giri

I would say that was a different era. Most PGs get blown by very easily now with the rule changes, the best defensive PGs are the ones who how to send the guy they're guarding to help and the ones who rotate back out to shooters well and that's less important than the help other positions can provide now.

I've had the argument with Ace several times, and have no desire to go over it again, we'll just disagree. But just so you know, he completely disagrees:p

Blackace

Dallas has a ton of money to blow. If they strike out on Dwight and Deron they can make several plays for virtually anyone in the league.
from the huge list of centers they can get..

No I really beg the differ.. I think GP or Stock would be just as good as they were in their era.. maybe with a few less steals

pilonv1

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/159803995.html

The third-richest man in America, Oracle Corp. co-founder and CEO Larry Ellison, is buying the island of Lanai from fellow billionaire David Murdock.

Murdock's Castle & Cooke Inc. has a signed sale agreement with Ellison for the 98 percent of the island owned by Murdock, including the two resort hotels, golf course, water utility and roughly 88,000 acres.

Castle & Cooke filed documents with the state Public Utilities Commission today disclosing the sale. The price was not disclosed but the company said it was hundreds of millions of dollars.

Castle & Cooke said in its filing that the sale to Ellison plans to bring new investment to Lanai that should result in reinvigorating tourism, stimulating the economy and creating new jobs on the island. "The buyer anticipates making substantial investments in Lanai and is looking forward to partnering with the people of Lanai to chart the island's future," the company said.

If I had the money I'd rather own an island than the Warriors or Grizzlies

Canuck76

Banned
I don't underestimate the Felton Effect at all, I, along with DY have been clowning him for a while, before his knicks days even.

But i didn't expect him to be THAT much of a locker room cancer. And EVERYONE jumped on board that train, crawford was the co-conductor. Felton was terrible, but outside of Batum & LMA, apparently everyone jumped off the wagon, even Kurt Thomas, and said fuck this team and franchise.

So i have absolutely 0 faith in any of those guys turning it around any time soon. There's only 3 players on that Roster i'd keep, and only one that is untradeable.

PS, iv'e been loving Andre Miller for a while. Said at the time the trade for felton was dumb dumb dumb.

I don't think people jumped on that train, so much as people just knew the season was over. When Felton and Crawford, your new offseason catches give up, the season was over at that point. Who's playing point? Nolan? I mean, it just doesn't work without those guys.Once Felton and Crawford were benched the team did play hard. They even had a tight game with the grizzlies that was only ended by a rudy gay block on mathews. LMA, still sort of growing into that leadership role, was vocal with Felton and Crawford to not be punks.

Plus, reading interviews and statements from those guys, they were pissed. They didn't feel like it was their place to step in, but they did want a chance to win. Wesley's playing summer league, L.M.A is in Dallas training, and Batum as well is working out and also stated he was super disappointed in missing the playoffs.

And only 3 players on this roster you want? Elliot williams? Hickson? Plus those two picks and FA? They have a lot of options to get better.

wat

Like who?
This draft has no real franchise plays other than Davis (and that's iffy) but it's surprisingly deep from 20-50. I can ratter off 5 guys the Knicks can take at 48 who can have an immediate impact. Hell, every pick from 40 and below can be a legitimate bench player on an NBA team.

giri

I don't think people jumped on that train, so much as people just knew the season was over. When Felton and Crawford, your new offseason catches give up, the season was over at that point. Who's playing point? Nolan? I mean, it just doesn't work without those guys.Once Felton and Crawford were benched the team did play hard. They even had a tight game with the grizzlies that was only ended by a rudy gay block on mathews. LMA, still sort of growing into that leadership role, was vocal with Felton and Crawford to not be punks.

Plus, reading interviews and statements from those guys, they were pissed. They didn't feel like it was their place to step in, but they did want a chance to win. Wesley's playing summer league, L.M.A is in Dallas training, and Batum as well is working out and also stated he was super disappointed in missing the playoffs.

And only 3 players on this roster you want? Elliot williams? Hickson? Plus those two picks and FA? They have a lot of options to get better.

There are actual interviews, where guys named names. Kurt, Felton, Crawford, and all the others, have been named and shamed as the heart of it. They didn't go "oh, the PG is giving up, so i should follow", no, what they did was give up themselves, and blame someone else. What you should do is "Hey Raymond you giant fat fuck, why don't you sit down and shutup until you get back in shape". But they didn't. That's why i have no Faith.

Hickson, as in, JJ Hickson? lol. ok guy.

Are those two picks on the roster atm? have they proven to not be busts? I didn't say they didn't have assets. Felton and Crawford, in the right environment, can be productive members of a team. Portland isn't that place for either player. They got good value for the Crash trade. And CAN turn it around quickly, but they need A LOT of things to go right to do it quickly. (Which is what i originally said a page ago).

I said, there are 3 guys currently on the roster, that i would want to keep. Batum, Matthews, LMA. And outside of LMA, they can be traded for the right deal. (It should be no surprise, those are the 3 that are currently working on their game).

Blackace

I've had the argument with Ace several times, and have no desire to go over it again, we'll just disagree. But just so you know, he completely disagrees:p

Yeah, but I still think a great defensive PG can hide lack lusting from your front line.. Like GP, Stock and a prime Kidd.. Those were the last game changing defensive PGs in the NBA.. And they way they guarded the pick and roll allowed for some stiffs in the middle to collect a check.

GP played with Kemp who played well enough and Det who was "heady" on D.. And for as good of a defensive as the Sups were most everyone else was pretty bad on D...

cashman

Banned
They do have a great owner.. coach.. well not so good..

Not trying to hate but I think Dirk declines fast when he does.. Big men often do.. But it is true he isn't a normal big man per se..

Nah, I think Rick is a good strategist, but he's just stubborn on the lineups. The job he did last year on LA and Miami was incredible.

Blackace

so when the eventual loser bro thunder come by we should offer bynum for harden ibaka (maybe perks?) #PipeDream

DO IT MITCH
Harden and Perks for AB... I think the Thunder win that trade..

Branduil

I got your loserbro trade right here, Lakers-age

iSl3g2BS9G3um.PNG

Dragic wants to return to Houston, also wants to be a starting PG.

YOU CAN'T HAVE BOTH! Unless Morey wants to unload Lowry, who doesn't like McHale. Dragic called McHale, a great coach and a great guy. Seems to be sending messages to the FO.

charsace

Dwight Howard is a huge idiot. He wants to be traded to the Nets by draft day. Why the fuck did he opt in then? Nets could have signed him and Deron. But he chose to opt in. This guy is confusing the shit out of me.

Perry Jones going from a top ten pick to a possible second-rounder should remind everyone again that athletic big men do not actually rise in the draft combine process just due to their athleticism despite what every draft pundit says. Players rise because of good interviews or when they're considered unathletic and have incredible combine results or when they were under the radar in the college season and scouts need to trick themselves into believing that someone in their range can be a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom