• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

charsace

By looking at the Knicks players on the court in that GIF.

You got
Lin
Novak
Amare
Melo
Fields

Defense shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as any of those players.
Popovich would have shit on Parker for not being aggressive and attacking the basket.

The only person there that doesn't play defense is Amare. Knicks are one of the best defensive teams in the league, but good pick and roll teams that focus on Amare will kill us. Good thing there aren't a lot of teams that can run the pick and roll good enough to exploit us.

I never denied that Wade's body is breaking down. He hasn't been an elite player since 2006, and even then he needed tons of help to get a ring.

He's overrated because people ignore that he's been injured for six seasons and isn't nearly as good as he was during his peak. Though does it really count as "injured" if you have too much wear and tear on your body? Without LeBron, he would have been T Mac 2.0 the rest of his career.

huh?

07 was irrelevant because of Wade's knee/shoulder injuries. The convo was about who was the man Shaq or Wade during his time there.

Anyway, Wade was certainly elite in 08 when he was the best player on the redeem team and later on winning the scoring title that same season. He was "the second best player in the league" when people were bitching about the Decision too.

06/07 & 07/08 were injury filled you can't really hold them against him....

The only person there that doesn't play defense is Amare. Knicks are one of the best defensive teams in the league, but good pick and roll teams that focus on Amare will kill us. Good thing there aren't a lot of teams that can run the pick and roll good enough to exploit us.

Does mello actually play d now? Not trying to sound snarky. I remember him kind of being a slacker too but didn't watch as many random nba games this year.

Canuck76

Banned
KNICKS ARE BACK

NORLY

God remember that knicks game at home versus the nets, to just take all the J-lin optimistic air out of the room? Deron literally just took walk up 3's the entire game. Didn't even try and beat them single handily.

Oh the NY fans were so salty. Best moment of this season.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
God remember that knicks game at home versus the nets, to just take all the J-lin optimistic air out of the room? Deron literally just took walk up 3's the entire game. Didn't even try and beat them single handily.

Oh the NY fans were so salty. Best moment of this season.

Bobcats beating the Knicks wasn't even an upset

9f245f18bd8811e18cf91231380fd29b_7.jpg

Dedicated Melo.

Alah Hahn (who is more cutthroat than I am discussing the Knicks) breaks down the Knicks future:

http://www.msg.com/blogs/alan-hahn/...association-win-in-court-has-huge-linpac.html

If the arbitrator had ruled in favor of the NBA and Lin did not maintain his Early Bird Rights, the Knicks would be extremely limited this offseason. Basically, they would be at the mercy of opposing teams signing Lin to an offer sheet that would cost the Knicks their entire full MLE. That, in turn, would trigger a clause in the NBA which caps non-taxpaying teams that use the full MLE to a limit of $4 million over the luxury tax threshold. So not only would the MLE be gone, but there would be very little room to do anything else, even with the $1.9 million Bi-Annual Exception and veteran's minimum deals.

This is why the arbitrator's decision is such a huge win for the Knicks.

By Lin maintaining Early Bird Rights, the team still has both exceptions, the MLE (either $3 million or $5 million) and the BAE, but it is still tricky here. The team will not likely use the full $5 million exception because of that clause we just mentioned that triggers the hard cap.

[Technically, the Knicks could use the full MLE, but it would be a great risk. Why? Because if they are held at the instituted hard cap, they can not add any more players for the entire 2012-13 season. This means if a player is injured, you can not sign a free agent to a veteran's minimum or even a D-League player to a 10-day contract.]

Instead, expect the Knicks to go with the $3 million tax-payer MLE, which would not trigger the $4 million apron and hard cap. It would allow them to sign a free agent at $3 million, use the $1.9 million bi-annual to sign another player and still have the luxury of adding as many veteran's minimum contracts as they please throughout the season. Trust me, this matters, especially when a player is amnestied or waived after the trade deadline.

So how do the Knicks sign Steve Nash with only the $3 million mid-level? The answer is simple: they don't.

Instead, look for the Knicks to talk to several veteran point guards, from Jason Kidd to Raymond Felton, and possibly former Sixth Man of the Year Lamar Odom or veteran shooter Ray Allen, with the MLE and BAE in their pocket. Will they be enough to make a significant move? That remains to be seen. That depends on whether some of these veterans want to be part of taking on the Miami Heat. They are the new standard in the East and the Knicks know they have to build to beat them.

This is why I also look forward to seeing if Glen Grunwald and his crafty group can come up with another Tyson Chandler-type plan, using some of the other assets on this team. Consider the value in Landry Fields ($2.6 million qualifyer), Toney Douglas' expiring contract ($2 million) and non-guaranteed money in Dan Gadzuric ($1.3 million), Josh Harrellson ($762,195) and Jerome Jordan ($762, 195).

If a team is looking to sell and take nothing back, the Knicks have the pieces, plus $3 million in cash considerations, to put on the table. It's not much, but as the Heat showed us, stars can get you far in this league, but a solid supporting cast (Shane Battier, Mike Miller) can get you to the top.

So as of now, the Knicks believe they can count on bringing back its starting five, plus one major piece of that Mobb Deep bench if Novak is interested. J.R. Smith has until Tuesday to decide whether he will pick up his $2.5 million option for next season or become a free agent. Even if he does not pick up the option and becomes a free agent, the Knicks can re-sign Smith for a 120-percent raise. In my opinion, it's safe to pencil Smith in right now.

Jared Jeffries was a solid defensive big off the bench and has a place here, too, if he wants to return.

Don't do it, knux. You stfu. I don't want to hear it.

;_;

tbh, he'd be a huge upgrade over Reke and I'd be okay with Iggy getting Reke's money on the team.

all day everyday.

I don't even give a fuck who they would take with 5.

Just do dat shit.

Enjoy Mr. Violent Layups.

Westlo

I never denied that Wade's body is breaking down. He hasn't been an elite player since 2006, and even then he needed tons of help to get a ring.

He's overrated because people ignore that he's been injured for six seasons and isn't nearly as good as he was during his peak. Though does it really count as "injured" if you have too much wear and tear on your body? Without LeBron, he would have been T Mac 2.0 the rest of his career.

Wtf is this shit? Did you somehow miss his 08-09 season?

30.2 PPG (Career high)
7.5 Assists (Tied career high)
5 Rebounds
2.2 Steals (Career high)
1.3 Blocks (Career high)
79 Games (Career high)

08-09 Wade > 05-06 Wade

No fucking doubt in my mind, should've been the MVP that season. Hopefully he gets his knee situation fixed and goes back to working with Grover in the offseason...

TylerD

I had basically given up hope on keeping Maynor, and I kinda assumed that Reggie Jackson was drafted to eventually take over the backup PG role.

Hope Harden and Ibaka feel the same way.

Yeah, me too.

I woke up with a kind of mental clarity like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I had a bit of anxiety over the Thunder run to the Finals. I can relax now!

First order of business is starting Insanity next Monday :O

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah, me too.

I woke up with a kind of mental clarity like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I had a bit of anxiety over the Thunder run to the Finals. I can relax now!
Yep, absolutely. It was fun, but it's nice to relax and not agonize about the next game.

First order of business is starting Insanity next Monday :O
Awesome! I'm about 3 weeks away from finishing P90X. :)

Considering doing Insanity after that, but we'll see.

So apparently We love us some John Henson and GS wants Iggy...bad.

The Proposed trade is Iggy for RJ/Wright and 7(Henson).

Not sure if about that life.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I had basically given up hope on keeping Maynor, and I kinda assumed that Reggie Jackson was drafted to eventually take over the backup PG role.

Hope Harden and Ibaka feel the same way.

Why does Brooks hate Dequan so much?

Westlo

T Mac would be proud. Wade hasn't been able to carry a team (in the East) for years.

And this has nothing to do with your point of Wade not being an elite player since 06, which is clearly wrong when his 08-09 season is considered his best. That was the best season I've seen in the last decade from a player carrying a horrible team apart from Kobe's 35PPG season. Rookie Chalmers, Rookie Beasley, Haslem, Q Rich, jermaine who went missing against Boston so badly.

Soooo offseason moves for the Heat....

1.Miller (and maybe Juwan Howard) most likely will retire, which makes some little breathing room for us to sign Steve Nash
I had a dream about that

2.James and Bosh will live it up in London for the Olympics. Wade should sit out and rehab/have surgery on his knee whichever is appropriate

3.Most of our bench players are signed long term so there's really not that much we can do but keep developing Norris Cole, Terrell Harris, and Dexter Pittman.

Damn Melo loyal to brand Jordan till the end huh? Rocking Jordans on a goddam running track. Get some running shoes before you tear your knees up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom