• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following his decision to play for Great Britain despite a wrist tendon injury, the Bulls General Manager Gar Forman, who called Deng in from holiday for a meeting earlier this month, is understood to have offered the Warriors Deng and the 29th pick in the NBA draft on Thursday for centre Andris Bierdrins, small forward Dorrell Wright and the seventh pick in the draft.

lul

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Josh Robbins ‏@JoshuaBRobbins
Orlando Magic have fired Asst. GM Dave Twardzik and at least 4 scouts, the @orlandosentinel has learned

Cleaning house.

giri

I genuinely don't understand why they're trying to get the number 7 pick?

But if they get bierdrins i assume that means asik or noah are gone too.

Oh. i guess it makes sense if they're giving up the number 7 pick, noah & asik for dwight?

Josh Robbins ‏@JoshuaBRobbins
Orlando Magic have fired Asst. GM Dave Twardzik and at least 4 scouts, the @orlandosentinel has learned

Cleaning house.

May as well. What have they got left to lose?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Four days after hiring a new general manager, Rob Hennigan, the Orlando Magic have shaken up their front office further.

Hennigan on Sunday started to restructure the Magic's basketball operations department, firing Assistant General Manager Dave Twardzik and members of the team's scouting staff, the Orlando Sentinel has learned.

Team spokesman Joel Glass confirmed that Twardzik, regional scout Tom Conrad, regional scout Greg Stratton, pro scout Bob Staak, international scouting coordinator Sam Foggin, NBA advance scout Al Walker and an international scout have been let go. Scouting coordinator Brian Wright will remain on the staff.

Hennigan and team officials declined to comment.

Twardzik has been given the option to remain with the team through Thursday's NBA draft. It's unclear whether he will do so. He did not immediately return a message for comment.

Twardzik, 61, joined the Magic in 2003 as the team's director of player personnel. Two years later, he was promoted was assistant general manager, a position he held ever since.

One of Twardzik's main responsibilities was heading the team's draft-preparation efforts.

Twardzik, a former NBA player and former NBA general manager, had been leading the Magic's basketball operations department since the team parted ways with Otis Smith on May 21 until Hennigan was hired on Wednesday.

giri

What would magic fans ideally want from the bulls in a trade for dwight (outside of rose)?

Would

Chicago:
Asik, Noah, No.7 pick,

Orlando
Dwight

be enough?

If they have to give up Deng to get the Number 7, that leaves only boozer to swap for Hedo's contract.

Also, hedo's final year is next year, the year after that (2013/2014) isn't guaranteed, so maybe it's not that important to get rid of him.

Can we talk about how much of a fucking idiot Dwight Howard is? He completely ruined his chances and The Nets chances to build a solid team. The Nets wouldn't have made that idiotic trade of giving up their draft pick for Gerald Wallce. SMH

For the last several years, Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey has been trying to package assets together to make a big deal on draft night. The 2012 draft is no different.

Sources say that Houston has discussed deals with several teams in the top 10 about moving up in the draft. And the Rockets might have found two willing partners.

Although sources stressed that no deal is imminent, Sacramento (No. 5) and Toronto (No. 8 ) have let Houston know that their top-10 selections are available. Sources say that the Rockets, in turn, have made both of their first-round picks available (No. 14 and No. 16), but the key to any trade going through could be point guard Kyle Lowry.

The Raptors have been especially fond of Lowry, who has been regarded for months as a borderline untouchable in Houston but more recently has publicly expressed his disastisfaction with Rockets coach Kevin McHale. Whether the Rockets are indeed prepared to part with Lowry, as talks with the Kings, Raptors and other teams continue, figures to be one of the bigger stories of draft week.

What’s clear from the Rockets’ end, sources say, is the player they’re fondest of in the upper reaches of the draft: UConn big man Andre Drummond. Many scouts believe Drummond has the second highest upside of any player in the draft behind consensus No. 1 overall pick Anthony Davis, but the 7-foot, 279-pounder would almost certainly still be available at No. 5.

Drummond, as the second youngest player in the draft at 18, registered an impressive 7-foot-6 wingspan at the NBA Draft Combine earlier this month. Personnel experts regard him as an elite athlete and shot-blocker who moves laterally especially well. But Drummond’s inconsistent play as a freshman, combined with questions about his passion for the game, have caused his draft stock to take a slight hit in recent weeks.

The tipoff that the Kings are likely to deal the No. 5 pick between now and Thursday night, sources say, is the handful of players they’ve brought in that are expected to be drafted in the middle of the first round. Sources say two of those players in particular – North Carolina’s John Henson and St. John’s Moe Harkless – are high on the Kings’ draft board.

Henson has already worked out for the Kings and Harkless is scheduled to work out on Monday. Sacramento has also tried to get several other candidates for the middle of the first round, including UConn’s Jeremy Lamb and Washington’s Terrence Ross, into town for 11th-hour workouts.

Lowry just tweeted:

It's been real

Well...There's really no point to the Rockets continuing what they've been doing, but I think Prime Lowry will end up having been much better than Drummond will be in his prime going from everything I've seen of both.

Lowry just tweeted:

Well...There's really no point to the Rockets continuing what they've been doing, but I think Prime Lowry will end up having been much better than Drummond will be in his prime going from everything I've seen of both.

It's good move imo. They move lowry, get a top 5 pick and will be able to guarantee Dragic the starting job.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Can we talk about how much of a fucking idiot Dwight Howard is? He completely ruined his chances and The Nets chances to build a solid team. The Nets wouldn't have made that idiotic trade of giving up their draft pick for Gerald Wallce. SMH

What? How is he responsible for the Nets dumb moves?

Smokey

Yes. Please send that selfish fuck Lowry to Canada.. Get a higher draft pick and resign Dragic and maybe we can get the 7th seed!

By not choosing to become a Free Agent this summer it forces D will to decide between two teams and made The Nets throw their pick away for a rental. You think they would of done that if Dwight says he wants to be FA?

giri

So can Dwight take the villain hat now? Dude is getting entire staffs beheaded.

Dwight's handled his shit poorly. But as others have said, Orlando needed to clean house. Badly. Their FO has been terrible for a long time now.

He might be the reason for their moves, but he can't truly be held responsible for them. Thats just stupid.

By not choosing to become a Free Agent this summer it forces D will to decide between two teams and made The Nets throw their pick away for a rental. You think they would of done that if Dwight says he wants to be FA?

Unless dwight instructed them to do all that on the basis that he had given them a guarantee he was coming over, that was all the nets own doing, not Dwights.

commish

The Nets are morons. Do you doubt this? I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY want the Nets to make something of themselves - their new arena is only a few blocks from my apt - and I would love to catch 10 to 20 games a season. But fuck them if they build around Wallace and Lopez.

giri

You don't move prime assets for shitty draft picks.

I get that they want Dragic to be the starting PG but Lowry is worth a ton more than a crappy pick or two crappy picks.

Is Lowry that great though?

he's a career 14 - 6 player who does it on decidedly average efficiency who has never played a full season and is constantly injured.

And i can't say he's all that great at running an offense. If the Rockets could get a 5th pick for him... i'd do it.

He's also a whinger.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I don't think he's great at all but I think he's a well above average PG who is making like 5 million per for the next 2 years. Not the kind of player you build around but is a huge asset for a contending team looking for a PG (Lakers come to mind). I really don't get why the teams rumored to be looking to deal for Lowry would actually want him.

And yeah he seems like a real crybaby.

commish

Is Lowry that great though?

he's a career 14 - 6 player who does it on decidedly average efficiency who has never played a full season and is constantly injured.

And i can't say he's all that great at running an offense. If the Rockets could get a 5th pick for him... i'd do it.

He's also a whinger.

He's no Sessions.

giri

I don't think he's great at all but I think he's a well above average PG who is making like 5 million per for the next 2 years. Not the kind of player you build around but is a huge asset for a contending team looking for a PG (Lakers come to mind). I really don't get why the teams rumored to be looking to deal for Lowry would actually want him.

And yeah he seems like a real crybaby.

I agree he's very valuable to a contending team. More than a re-building one. But houston need A piece to build around, and they're much more likely to get that with the 5th pick, than in a direct trade for lowry.

(not that i'm saying the 5th pick will give them a franchise player).

Dwight's handled his shit poorly. But as others have said, Orlando needed to clean house. Badly. Their FO has been terrible for a long time now.

He might be the reason for their moves, but he can't truly be held responsible for them. Thats just stupid.

Unless dwight instructed them to do all that on the basis that he had given them a guarantee he was coming over, that was all the nets own doing, not Dwights.

Where else would Dwight go? He doesn't want go to LA or Chicago. The Nets would been the front runners.

SamuraiX-

Since when has there been so much GAF hate for Lowry?

Dude was boss ever since he got to Houston, both before and even more so after Brooks went down with an injury.

giri

Where else would Dwight go? He doesn't want go to LA or Chicago. The Nets would been the front runners.

So?

How does that make him responsible for their moves?

Since when has there been so much GAF hate for Lowry?

Dude was boss ever since he got to Houston, both before and even more so after Brooks went down with an injury.

I've never been a huge fan of either of them.

I certainly wouldn't call him Boss. The best part about him is his contract for the production.

I think Pat Riley's been trying to go after Kyle Lowry for a while. He's always liked him

Then again, he felt the same way about Rashard Lewis too I think...

thekad

Banned
Using career stats for a young player that only just got a starting job a year and a half ago is silly. Since he came into his own last season, Lowry's been a 16/7/5 player with great defense.

UPDATE (12:48 a.m. ET): Upon hearing of Sunday night's developments, one rival general manager told ESPN.com that he believes Houston's real aim is acquiring two top-10 picks this week to turn around quickly and offer both to the Orlando Magic as part of a considerable trade offer for Dwight Howard.

Would Barnes/Drummond and Leonard/Waiters be enough to get the Magic to trade Dwight? Ehh, I guess it would be. They might even be able to Barnes and Drummond with 5 and 8 if Portland goes with Lillard and the Warriors go with a guy who is more ready than Drummond.

giri

Using career stats for a young player that only just got a starting job a year and a half ago is silly. Since he came into his own last season, Lowry's been a 16/7/5 player with great defense.

Except he's never posted those stats for a season.

Ever.

And he only posted that for a month Once.

And doesn't hide the fact that he's an injured cry baby.

So no, he's not a 16/7/5 player.

Post All star break you did have a PG putting up those numbers. But it wasn't lowry.

pilonv1

Would Barnes/Drummond and Leonard/Waiters be enough to get the Magic to trade Dwight? Ehh, I guess it would be. They might even be able to Barnes and Drummond with 5 and 8 if Portland goes with Lillard and the Warriors go with a guy who is more ready than Drummond.

I presume they want the Kings pick because I doubt Drummond drops to 8.

Now with Presti Jr in charge I can't see them trading Dwight without Drummond involved somehow. Trading big for small rarely works. They might have to do some other minor moves like Nelson/Lowry, because two top 8 picks isn't enough. Two top 5s could be.

Imagine all the flopping Scola and Martin could do with Dwight behind them?

Ehh, there's like 13 teams that could make the playoffs in the West next year. Rockets if they get Dwight, Blazers if they get a good PG, Warriors if Bogut and Curry stay moderately healthy which is not that likely but still, Hornets if Gordon stays moderately healthy and Davis is an immediate star, Minnesota if they get NBA wing players and their big 3 stays healthy. Lot of potential in the West...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom