• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Just 4 more years left...

T_T

ibbz3Stmho3X3g.png

ibhIv5itbwA8iN.gif

The rumours about nash are as bad/worse than Dwight.

If he leaves PHX, it won't be for money. It will be for talent and win now. He clearly doesn't want to join say, the heat, and just bandwagon a Chip. But he wants to be competing for a ring, not helping ticket sales.

This may sound bizzare, but indiana isn't a bad spot for him to wind up.

Nor would Portland, Grizz, NY.

That's exactly it, he want's a team that he can make a serious contender, but he doesn't want to ride anyone's coattails. He wants to be an integral piece. People are mistaking his not wanting a free ride to meaning he doesn't care about chipping at all. He's a competitor and he wants to win.

I think Indiana is certainly an up and coming team, haven't watched enough of them to see how Nash would fit there. I think think they are building a nice team through youth though, do you really want to plug in a veteran in the starting PG position? Unless you think you can win right now. I don't see Portland being contenders with him but Grizz are getting close.

KingGondo

Banned
Sounds like Maynor is committed to being here for the long term, so that dampens my hopes of getting Nash for the next 2-3 years.

But on the bright side, Maynor is fucking awesome so I'm not upset.

SamuraiX-

Moultrie and Harkless are the players the Kings are planning to take with the two picks they're receiving from the Rockets in exhange for #5.

Those two guys are projected to somewhere in the earlier 20s of the 1st round and the Rockets have picks #14 and #16??

No idea how you would take either of them over a guy like Terrence Ross @ #14.

KingGondo

Banned
Saw someone mention this in the Miami Heat thread, but what other young team can compete with OKC in the West? The TWolves? The Grizz?
T-Wolves have a shot, but they didn't even make the playoffs last year (partly due to injury, but still). I think they have at least a couple of years to go until they're truly competitive. Grizz are a bad matchup for OKC, but OKC managed to overcome them last year when Z-Bo was at his best, so I'm still fairly confident against them.

Lakers are always a threat, but then again Jim Buss is running things and in love with Bynum so I'm not as worried as I typically would be.

My prediction of OKC being able to potentially keep Harden and Ibaka is looking somewhat promising (although we'll see what happens when it comes down to actual numbers). Maynor also expressed interest in staying for the long-term, and I think he knows he'll have to potentially take less money to stay.

http://www.nba.com/thunder/exit_players_120623.html

Also, looks like the Thunder have a verbal agreement with Andrey Vorontsevich, a 24 year-old Russian PF.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/201...vichs-verbal-agreement-with-the-oklahoma-city

SUPREME1

Banned
Kobe's prime years were wasted on players like Smush, Kwame, Cook, Radmanovic, Luke, etc...

...and now his twilight years are being wasted by fucktards Jim Buss and Mike Brown.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
You won back-to-back championships during Kobe's prime. Get the fuck over it already!

Denver maybe.. Coaching wise they are way ahead. But talent wise hopefully they can compete in the near future.

Denver will likely be a pretty good team for a while. I just don't see them being able to play at the same level as OKC does though, they would need Gallo to become Durant for that to happen.

Grizzlies with healthy Z-Bo can absolutely compete with OKC

Agreed, their froncourt demolishes OKC's. They'd be scary good with a better passing PG. Nash in Memphis would make them an immediate threat to the Thunder.

T-Wolves have a shot, but they didn't even make the playoffs last year (partly due to injury, but still). I think they have at least a couple of years to go until they're truly competitive. Grizz are a bad matchup for OKC, but OKC managed to overcome them last year when Z-Bo was at his best, so I'm still fairly confident against them.

Lakers are always a threat, but then again Jim Buss is running things and in love with Bynum so I'm not as worried as I typically would be.

I agree about the Wolves, it's going to take them a few more years to reach their full potential. I wouldn't discount the Grizzlies though. If Z-Bo had been healthy they would have beaten the Clippers and Spurs and played you in the conference finals. Anything can happen at that point.

As for the Lakers I'm sure they'll make it back to the playoffs, but if their roster remains the same they won't be taking you in a 7 game series.

KingGondo

Banned
Agreed, their froncourt demolishes OKC's. They'd be scary good with a better passing PG. Nash in Memphis would make them an immediate threat to the Thunder.
Memphis gave us a 7-game series with a healthy Z-Bo (but no Gay, although I'm not sure Gay helps them a tremendous amount against OKC).

I think Memphis probably hit its peak two years ago. Anyone counting on a headcase like Zach Randolph to be their franchise savior is reaching, IMO.

The Clips scare me if they can keep Blake and CP3--although re-signing Jordan to that contract was idiotic.

Memphis gave us a 7-game series with a healthy Z-Bo (but no Gay, although I'm not sure Gay helps them a tremendous amount against OKC).

I think Memphis probably hit its peak two years ago. Anyone counting on a headcase like Zach Randolph to be their franchise savior is reaching, IMO.

The Clips scare me if they can keep Blake and CP3--although re-signing Jordan to that contract was idiotic.

I don't remember the series well enough to say how much of a difference Gay would have made, but he's a legit top 10 SF in his prime so I wouldn't just write him off. ZBo being their leader is a legit problem though, you're right about that; especially when there are guys like Arenas, Mayo, and Selby on their roster. All the more reason adding someone like Nash would be a scary proposition for the rest of the conference.

How far the Clips go totally depends on how much Griffin can improve. He was disappointing this year, if they ever want to be in serious title contention he has to get better.

Talon

Lin
Shumpert
Johnson
Melo
Chandler

is a pretty badass starting five. Don't pretend JJ would not love to be in a Pippen role, rather than a Jordan role.
Joe Johnson would have to be able to stay in front of his man for this to hold ANY water.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The second year championship no-knees kobe was in his prime? 2012 kobe is > 2010/2011kobe, thou arguably alot dumber.

I'll give you '12 > '11, but not '10. No way. Especially Playoff Kobe. He put up damn near identical numbers in '09 and '10 in the playoffs.

SUPREME1

Banned
Looks like Tony Parker's eye thing was a lot more serious than just a scratched cornea:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39225207&postcount=501

Shard of glass penetrated 99% into his eye? What does that mean exactly?

1. The shard of glass was 99% embedded into his eye, or

2. The shard of glass was 1% short of reaching the inner part of the eye

???

Can someone clear this up for me por favor.

Either way, both sound bad. What the fuck. His career could have been over just like that, all because some dumbfuck singers want to be tough guys... with they bodyguard-having-asses.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Adonal Foyle ‏@afoyle3131
Today was my last day with the Orlando Magic as I was let go. Thank you to the people of Orlando for your incredible support. I'm looking forward to my next adventure.

Damn. Hennigan is not fucking around.

SUPREME1

Banned
Wasn't Adonal Foyle the league's leading rebounder one year back in the early 00's?

So long mayne. Didn't even know he was still around to be honest.

Rockets can't even properly be bad, let alone compete with okc in the west
This is why I've decided I want Morey to trade everything for some aging 'star,' so we can at least get a few 20 win seasons and legit lottery picks eventually.

Trying to build a team by going .500 every season and getting the 14th pick ain't the way to do it.

SamuraiX-

ESPN Link on Parker almost losing his eyes. WTF

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/...3141/tony-parker-miss-olympics-due-eye-injury

Might miss Olympics. Fucking crazy.

Chris Brown must have beef with Justin Timberlake.
Parker is suing the New York City club for $20 million.

Seriously, why?

How does he know security didn't do everything they could to neutralize the brawl? Shit could've happened to anybody. Just move on and accept it for what it was: wrong place, wrong time.

Selfish piece of shit.

Edit: Oh, lookie here:

Tony Parker said:
"But that's life. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time."

BUT I'M GONNA SUE ANYWAY BECAUSE I GOTTA. AMERICUH!!

This is why I've decided I want Morey to trade everything for some aging 'star,' so we can at least get a few 20 win seasons and legit lottery picks eventually.

Trying to build a team by going .500 every season and getting the 14th pick ain't the way to do it.

The two picks you got this year might net you the King's pick though. If you can do that again next year and hold on to Dragic and Martin you might be able to get somewhere without having to blow up the team.

The two picks you got this year might net you the King's pick though. If you can do that again next year and hold on to Dragic and Martin you might be able to get somewhere without having to blow up the team.
Martin is useless now that the NBA banned fouls on that 'swing your arms up through the defenders arms' move to get to the foul line.

SamuraiX-

wut

I'm pretty sure Rockets want him gone but nobody's taking that human glass sculpture. He won't even be a good expiring guy.

SUPREME1

Banned

Pau/Sessions
Scola/Lowry/Martin

Nash(TPE)/Lowry/Blake
Mamba/Kevin Martin/Eyenga/G-Lock
Ebanks/MWP/Barnes
Scola/McRoberts
Bynum/Hill

Thunder scurred.

Smokey

Martin's contract expires after this upcoming season and there is zero chance he is brought back. None.

If Rockets do trade for Howard that forces us to give up picks and probably some players. That way when Howard walks the Rockets will have to be bad and acquire some legit high lottery players.

Howard provides a season of entertainment and team gets better in the long run by being bad after they mortgage the team for him. Win win

Martin's contract expires after this upcoming season and there is zero chance he is brought back. None.

If Rockets do trade for Howard that forces us to give up picks and probably some players. That way when Howard walks the Rockets will have to be bad and acquire some legit high lottery players.

Howard provides a season of entertainment and team gets better in the long run by being bad after they mortgage the team for him. Win win
You've read my mind, brother.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
T-Wolves have a shot, but they didn't even make the playoffs last year (partly due to injury, but still). I think they have at least a couple of years to go until they're truly competitive.

I think it was totally injury. Rubio getting hurt killed the season. They went like 5-20 afterward.

Real talk: if the Wolves don't make the playoffs next season, it's a huge failure. They don't even need to hit a home run with the 18th pick; Rubio, Love, and Pekovic are that good.

Talon

I just wonder how Nash would assimilate to the Lakers offense. Find him going to the Heat more likely, IMO. Find him crumbling after 2 months away from the Suns training staff far more likely.

Also, Nash doesn't solve LAL's big issue out west: PG penetration in the lane.

Smokey

Nash ain't joining the Lakers yo:

"The truth is I'm a bit old school. For me, it would be hard to put on a Lakers jersey. That's just the way it is," Nash said. "You play against them so many times in the playoffs, and I just use them as an example, and I have the utmost respect for them and their organization

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8094469/nba-free-agency-steve-nash-says-open-everything

Even if his eyes are open to everything...I highly doubt he joins the Lakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom