• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Hmmm, I heard Drummond had been dropping.

Guess I'm crazy but I'm still on the Sullinger-train. Don't think his Portland workout went that well though.

I like Ross if only for being a hometown guy. Wasn't crazy about him while at UW.

Sullinger's workouts haven't gone well with anyone. He's got a leg shorter than the other and reported back and weight issues. The NBA hasn't even invited him to the green room. Stay away.

Jonm1010

Banned
Drummond is just getting some glowing feedback right now.
It's so shitty to see these people with all the physical tools in the world to succeed completely squander it.

I know the guy is like 18 but still, if your own teammate is saying that type of shit, he must have been one lazy or uninterested player.....maybe I don't want him to fall to us at ten.

Unless there's some hot new cartilage transplant surgery that I'm not aware of, I can't see Roy adding much to the T-Wolves, especially considering his 2010-2011 season where he looked pained every time he took a step. I thought the dude made the right choice by retiring.

Jonm1010

Banned
Hmmm, I heard Drummond had been dropping.

Guess I'm crazy but I'm still on the Sullinger-train. Don't think his Portland workout went that well though.

I like Ross if only for being a hometown guy. Wasn't crazy about him while at UW.
Eh, in terms of high risk, high reward guys dropping like crazy I'm more sold on perry jones.

Sold is the wrong word but from what I hear he has solid work ethic, understands his motor and disapearing acts are a problem he needs to correct and yet has all the physical gifts but needs to get his confidence up and decide the type of player he wants to be and dedicate himself fully to it.

If he's around in the mid to late teens and I was a team picking there I'd be fine taking a chance on him.

628x471.jpg

Steal our pick and our franchise changing player. I see you, NOLA. I see you.

Davis is such an ugly person. Bet he was still swimming in pussy at Kentucky, tho

Honestly, the only place guys like Roy, Oden, etc. should be signing is Phoenix.

Not even the Phoenix Lazerus Pit can save Roy or Oden now.

Sullinger is fucked. Well, as fucked as person who's about to be a first round pick in the NBA can be. But all the reports of his health problems combined with his poor workouts have all the NBA teams unwilling to touch him with a ten foot pole. He's fallen so hard, I remember when people still thought he could be a top 7 pick. Because it was a month ago.

I think Sullinger is going to overcome his issues and be productive in the NBA and probably be called a steal, but I don't know how good he'll be even if he scores and rebounds since he's a terrible pick-and-roll defender about to come into the NBA when almost all of the offense is pick-and-roll.

Draftexpress has the Blazers taking John Henson. LMA-Henson would be pretty interesting, I think Henson could turn into Gibson with a bit of a handle and post game and I think that would be a really good player...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I think Sullinger is going to overcome his issues and be productive in the NBA and probably be called a steal, but I don't know how good he'll be even if he scores and rebounds since he's a terrible pick-and-roll defender about to come into the NBA when almost all of the offense is pick-and-roll.

I think he could be another Millsap if he picks up his energy. It'll be a wait though.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Millsap is a lot more athletic and offball focused though.

Millsap didn't come into the league like that though. Inside the paint, I can see Sullinger recreating a lot of the same advantages that Millsap has. Maybe a little better. Offball he definitely has a ways to go.

Haha, the tax is like ten times worse now.
What I mean is, how hard is the cap? Before, it was a soft cap where a team could pay dollar for dollar for going over. IIRC, the Mavericks were paying quite a bit in luxury tax last season when they won. Meaning, an owner could authorize his GM to "go all in" getting free agents if desired.

Jonm1010

Banned
What I mean is, how hard is the cap? Before, it was a soft cap where a team could pay dollar for dollar for going over. IIRC, the Mavericks were paying quite a bit in luxury tax last season when they won. Meaning, an owner could authorize his GM to "go all in" getting free agents if desired.

The dollar-for-dollar tax provisions of the previous CBA remain in effect through the 2012–13 season. Starting in 2013–14, the tax changes to an incremental system. Tax will be assessed at different levels based on the amount that a team is over the luxury tax threshold. The scheme is not cumulative—each level of tax applies only to amounts over that level's threshold. For example, a team that is $8 million over the tax threshold will pay $1.50 for each of its first $5 million over the tax threshold, and $1.75 per dollar for the remaining $3 million. In addition, "repeat offenders", subject to additional penalties, are defined as teams that paid tax in four of the five previous seasons

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_salary_cap#section_13

I'd copy the breakdown box chart but I'm on my phone and don't know how to format it properly....but the tax certainly is more costly to go over after 2013.

So you can certainly still go over but it's more costly now, which I feel could end up making it harder for small markets to compete since the big markets will be the only ones realistically able to afford it. But whatever. I've given up thinking a true level playing field will be allowed to go into effect.

linsivvi

Even if you're willing to go into luxury tax territory, you still need to find a way to sign the player. Once you're over the cap, you can't sign free agents besides using the couple exceptions (which won't be enough to sign Nash) and veteran minimum.

Jonm1010

Banned
Even if you're willing to go into luxury tax territory, you still need to find a way to sign the player. Once you're over the cap, you can't sign free agents besides using the couple exceptions (which won't be enough to sign Nash) and veteran minimum.
That I didn't know. Interesting, I like that.

Kevtones

Sullinger's workouts haven't gone well with anyone. He's got a leg shorter than the other and reported back and weight issues. The NBA hasn't even invited him to the green room. Stay away.

I like his game though. Aldridge/Hickson/Sullinger/Babbitt is nice, too.

Wouldn't mind Henson, I guess.

pilonv1

Wizard Morey taking one on the chin

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/...s-in-houston-if-traded-there/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Amid a report that stated the Houston Rockets are hoping to amass enough trade assets to make a deal with the Orlando Magic for Dwight Howard–even though Howard would only be in Houston for one season before becoming an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2013 — a source with knowledge of Howard’s thinking said Monday that there was “not a chance” Howard would be persuaded to remain in Houston if traded there, and would leave next summer to sign elsewhere.

linsivvi

Maybe if they move the Heat to Canada, and the Canadian government pass a bill to subside Nash's contract.

Since apparently they suck at stick on ice now. Time for them to pick up a new sport.

SamuraiX-

So who's dumb enough to take Barnes or Drummond Top 5: Charlotte or Cleveland?

I just keep hoping this happens so MKG (or maybe at least T-Rob) can fall to us... assuming we don't TRADE THE FUCKING PICK AWAY

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Unless there's some hot new cartilage transplant surgery that I'm not aware of, I can't see Roy adding much to the T-Wolves, especially considering his 2010-2011 season where he looked pained every time he took a step. I thought the dude made the right choice by retiring.

A crippled Roy is better than Wes Johnson.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Howard can go fuck himself if that's true (which I'm 99% sure it is) lol @ "Not a chance" I'm sure Morey is really scared by that statement now... the fucking Wizard of douches doesn't give a shit any more. He will trade for you Dwight if he can.

Howard is mentally weak and couldn't deal with ever following in the footsteps of Dream or even Yao who never won shit. I actually really liked the guy up until the bs he started pulling last year along with Orlando and I believe he blocked a trade to the Rockets.

Dwight and Deron would be a miserable failure to watch in NJ with nothing around them. Any word on how Howard's back is these days?

Except that excluding roys health, if they're healthy, they're not going to suck at all.
RR probs won't be back at the start of the season, plus, he's not going to be 100%. They are in desperate need of upgrades on the wings, especially if they want to make the playoffs next year. The west is just too strong.

NOH is going to kick ass next year.

Can we stop calling Morey a wizard considering he hasn't actually done anything

Well okay, I admit he did get a billion draft picks from the Knicks for nothing but come on; they're the Knicks

Howard can go fuck himself if that's true (which I'm 99% sure it is) lol @ "Not a chance" I'm sure Morey is really scared by that statement now... the fucking Wizard of douches doesn't give a shit any more. He will trade for you Dwight if he can.

Howard is mentally weak and couldn't deal with ever following in the footsteps of Dream or even Yao who never won shit. I actually really liked the guy up until the bs he started pulling last year along with Orlando and I believe he blocked a trade to the Rockets.

Dwight and Deron would be a miserable failure to watch in NJ with nothing around them. Any word on how Howard's back is these days?

They're moving to BROOKLYN.

KingGondo

Banned
Ah, remember that ESPN pundit poll that had one writer predict Sullinger as the player of this decade?

What a terrible prediction.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
They're moving to BROOKLYN.

I know... that changes everything though! BROOKLYN = CHAMPIONSHIPS lol

WTF does he even care about that, he was born in Atlanta. It's not even a home town thing. He's got some kinda man crush on Deron and of course money cause lets be honest thats all most of these already rich fuckers even care about.

I still want to know where this deep hate or whatever he has for the Rockets comes from. To not opt out last year and stay with the Magic instead of being traded to Houston at the trade deadline? "no chance ever"

What good did that do him?

Jonm1010

Banned
RR probs won't be back at the start of the season, plus, he's not going to be 100%. They are in desperate need of upgrades on the wings, especially if they want to make the playoffs next year. The west is just too strong.

NOH is going to kick ass next year.

I think we'll barely be a playoff team, best case scenario, personally. Very good defensively but not enough fire power. Similar to two years ago.

Smokey

Wizard Morey taking one on the chin

Amid a report that stated the Houston Rockets are hoping to amass enough trade assets to make a deal with the Orlando Magic for Dwight Howard–even though Howard would only be in Houston for one season before becoming an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2013 — a source with knowledge of Howard’s thinking said Monday that there was “not a chance” Howard would be persuaded to remain in Houston if traded there, and would leave next summer to sign elsewhere.

well no shit. i don't think anybody expects dude to resign if that were to happen. the whole point of it is something needs to be done to stop the squad from spinning it's wheels and going no where

One league source said the Rockets hoped to make deals for the additional Draft picks using existing players, so they would have as many as four first-rounders they could put in a package to Orlando for Howard. One potential deal, according to a league source, would send Martin to Minnesota–presumably for the Wolves’ 18th pick in the first round–where Martin would play for former Rockets coach Rick Adelman; Martin had success playing for Adelman during their years together in Houston. But rumors of a Martin-Adelman reunion in Minnesota have been thrown around for months.

oh shit lol
i didn't think other teams would possibly want Martin

KingGondo

Banned
well no shit. i don't think anybody expects dude to resign if that were to happen. the whole point of it is something needs to be done to stop the squad from spinning it's wheels and going no where
And signing a guy who is certain to leave after one season is gonna do wonders for the Rox.

Ther're not winning shit even with Dwight on the roster.

Shurs

I love the idea of Brandon Roy coming to Minnesota.

I know he's not going to average 20, 5 and 5, but he's an upgrade.

Plus, it's a way of getting more veteran leadership on the team.

Smokey

And signing a guy who is certain to leave after one season is gonna do wonders for the Rox.

Ther're not winning shit even with Dwight on the roster.

As opposed to....what? Picking 14th in the draft for the 4th straight year?

I understand you're not used to this problem...but picking 14th overall 3 straight years aint doing shit. Business is down for the Rockets in the city. Ratings down, nobody goes to the games, they don't get any national exposure. Morey cannot sit here and do nothing with this squad. This is probably his last offseason if he doesn't make some kind of move to show an effort in improving his team. There is zero excitement down here for the team as it is currently constructed and for good reason.

But again..I don't expect you to be able to relate to this. Regardless of what the Rockets do they will not be contenders anytime soon. But getting Howard does make them, or should make them, at least a lock for the playoffs and that's SOMETHING

MrCWS83

I'd love for Sullinger to slide down to Boston. Also is Kevin Jones of WVU getting any love? That guy shined all year, I'd expect him to be a great 2nd round/FA pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom