• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
I understand you're not used to this problem...but picking 14th overall 3 straight years aint doing shit. Business is down here. Ratings down, nobody goes to the games, they don't get any national exposure.

He cannot sit here and do nothing to the squad. This is probably his last offseason if he doesn't do something. There is zero excitement down here for the team as it is currently constructed and for good reason.

But again..I don't expect you to be able to relate to this
I get that being in the perpetual late lottery limbo is probably the shittiest position to be in in the NBA, but Morey hasn't done anything to justify his reputation or truly improve the Rox in the slightest.

Maybe gutting your roster for Dwight isn't the worst idea--maybe he decides to stay, but if he leaves at least then the tank can begin.

Red Blaster said:
Coach Nick's breakdown of Game 5 is up showcasing just how terrible OKC's defense is
Man, thank god for Coach Nick or I'd still be under the impression that OKC's D was awesome in that game. I thought those countless wide-open threes for Miami were by design this whole time!

well no shit. i don't think anybody expects dude to resign if that were to happen. the whole point of it is something needs to be done to stop the squad from spinning it's wheels and going no where
Yup.

oh shit lol
i didn't think other teams would possibly want Martin
It's Adelman. He loves players he is familiar with, like superstar Brad Miller.

As opposed to....what? Picking 14th in the draft for the 4th straight year?

I understand you're not used to this problem...but picking 14th overall 3 straight years aint doing shit. Business is down for the Rockets in the city. Ratings down, nobody goes to the games, they don't get any national exposure. Morey cannot sit here and do nothing with this squad. This is probably his last offseason if he doesn't make some kind of move to show an effort in improving his team. There is zero excitement down here for the team as it is currently constructed and for good reason.

But again..I don't expect you to be able to relate to this. Regardless of what the Rockets do they will not be contenders anytime soon. But getting Howard does make them, or should make them, at least a lock for the playoffs and that's SOMETHING

Why doesn't Morey just use the 5th and 8th picks for his own team instead of a Dwight rental while also having a firesale and moving Martin and Scola for basically anything cheaper

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Hakeem must have schooled him too hard.

In an interview with Dream that was posted on Rockets.com last year I believe he said Dwight didn't apply the moves he was shown and it seemed he didn't pick it up as quickly as Kobe, Lebron etc

Howard's feelings were hurt. He didn't like it when Shaq picked on him either. Poor guy.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Except that excluding roys health, if they're healthy, they're not going to suck at all.
Roy would make them great if he can be a 13 to 17 ppg 5ast guy....take a lot of pressure off of Rubio and give them outside shooting all at once..
Hmmm, I heard Drummond had been dropping.

Guess I'm crazy but I'm still on the Sullinger-train. Don't think his Portland workout went that well though.

I like Ross if only for being a hometown guy. Wasn't crazy about him while at UW.

Ross has poor shot selection... Hopefully he will get humbled a bit by NBA.

Sullinger is a 15th pick after type of guy..

I'd take Zeller over him..which is something the Blazers might do..

Jonm1010

Banned
I understand you're not used to this problem...but picking 14th overall 3 straight years aint doing shit. Business is down for the Rockets in the city. Ratings down, nobody goes to the games, they don't get any national exposure. Morey cannot sit here and do nothing with this squad. This is probably his last offseason if he doesn't do something. There is zero excitement down here for the team as it is currently constructed and for good reason.

But again..I don't expect you to be able to relate to this. Regardless of what the Rockets do they will not be contenders anytime soon. But getting Howard does make them a lock for the playoffs and that's SOMETHING
I know this won't make you feel better but.....

.....I honestly feel like being a middle of the road to slightly below middle of the road veteran team like the rockets is the worst place to possibly be.

At least if you're shit you can get a couple years of high lottery picks and continue to rebuild until you get a couple young stars that develop and gives your fans hope like the Thunder or the Wolves and most likely eventually the wizards and cavaliers.

I'd honesty rather be the wizards/bobcats/Cavaliers/pistons then the rockets......Well maybe not the bobcats because they can't seem to catch a break.

In an interview with Dream that was posted on Rockets.com last year I believe he said Dwight didn't apply the moves he was shown and it seemed he didn't pick it up as quickly as Kobe, Lebron etc
I need to find this!

Big men (and little men)! When The Dream gives you post advice, fucking listen and apply it.

Smokey

I get that being in the perpetual late lottery limbo is probably the shittiest position to be in in the NBA, but Morey hasn't done anything to justify his reputation or truly improve the Rox in the slightest.

Maybe gutting your roster for Dwight isn't the worst idea--maybe he decides to stay, but if he leaves at least then the tank can begin.

This is one of the reasons I'm not opposed to them gutting the team. When he leaves they will be garbage. They will be in the lottery but it will be high enough so that they can actually get good players.

Why doesn't Morey just use the 5th and 8th picks for his own team instead of a Dwight rental while also having a firesale and moving Martin and Scola for basically anything cheaper

They don't have enough room on the roster for 2 more players with Donatas Motiejunas coming over this year. The team is also constructed entirely of role players. Adding 2 more rookies to the mix isn't going to do anything. He'd rather make the big splash. Something he has not done since he's been here.

.....I honestly feel like being a middle of the road to slightly below middle of the road veteran team like the rockets is the worst place to possibly be.

At least if you're shit you can get a couple years of high lottery picks and continue to rebuild until you get a couple young stars that develop and gives your fans hope like the Thunder or the Wolves and most likely eventually the wizards and cavaliers.

I'd honesty rather be the wizards/bobcats/Cavaliers/pistons then the rockets......Well maybe not the bobcats because they can't seem to catch a break.

Yup. And that's why I'm saying there's no way you say no to Dwight Howard coming here. Even if it is for just one season.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
In the East. pffffffft

A weaker East too at that time and also when Yao was playing he was destroying Dwight in match ups.

Yao was the better player destroyed by injuries :(

pilonv1

i didn't think other teams would possibly want Martin

The Kings took on $12million/4 years of Travis Outlaws contract after he was amnestied. Teams are stupid.

I'd love for Sullinger to slide down to Boston. Also is Kevin Jones of WVU getting any love? That guy shined all year, I'd expect him to be a great 2nd round/FA pickup

I remember WVU playing Baylor and Jones shitting all over Jones and Miller. Brady Heslip was the best Baylor player that game.

edit: Chad Ford thinks he might have a promise

June 25 Update: There has been talk about Jones getting a promise in the late first round. If he's received it, we can't find it. Some teams are high on him, but it wouldn't be shocking if he ended up somewhere in the later part of the second round either.

Smokey and I totally agree with you.

Being the best of the losers for three straight seasons is the worst place to be in the NBA.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The Kings took on $12million/4 years of Travis Outlaws contract after he was amnestied. Teams are stupid.

I remember WVU playing Baylor and Jones shitting all over Jones and Miller. Brady Heslip was the best Baylor player that game.

My man Kevin Jones is getting shat on...

Mxrz

The city of Orlando*, and pretty much every Magic fan world wide has kissed Dwight's ass since he came into the NBA. If he wants to leave after all that, I doubt you'll find him suddenly more reasonable or loyal towards any other team. *Cept the sentinel but they're only happy when the team is horrible.

I like that Hennigan is cleaning house. This all should have been done last year. I've been a huge Dwight fan/asskisser, but even I'm tired of it. Either resign or just get fuck out already.

Smokey

Yeah but it's...Kevin Martin. Outlaw can at least be a productive player. Once the league changed the rule where you cannot swing your arms through and get a call, Martin instantly became one of the worst players in the NBA. He's too skinny, injury prone, and plays NO defense.

That was the case in a lot of games.

Baylor has been the most frustrating team to watch in College ball for the last two seasons.

If it wasn't for LaceDarius Gunn, owner of the worst shot selection of all time, then it was Perry Jones getting his shit took by some random dude and being baield out by Heslip or their point guard (who hero ball worked far too often).

so basically Perry Jones future isn't it?

RBH

Well, that didn't take long: with Atlanta GM Danny Ferry in his first day on the job, the message is spreading that he'll be looking to shake up the Hawks' roster and rebuild in some capacity. No specifics yet, but forward Josh Smith has tremendous value and an expiring contract (next season at $13.2 million), center Al Horford will be healthy again and is an attractive piece as well (four years, $48 million remaining) and shooting guard Joe Johnson has the sort of deal that any sane GM would try - and likely try in vain - to get rid of (four years and $89.3 million left).

g1340676788631039042.jpg

They don't have enough room on the roster for 2 more players with Donatas Motiejunas coming over this year. The team is also constructed entirely of role players. Adding 2 more rookies to the mix isn't going to do anything. He'd rather make the big splash. Something he has not done since he's been here.

Just cut Budinger and attach Morris along with Scola or Martin.

I'd say going forward with maybe...Lillard and John Henson is a hell of a lot better than any other option for Houston.

Yeah but it's...Kevin Martin. Outlaw can at least be a productive player. Once the league changed the rule where you cannot swing your arms through and get a call, Martin instantly became one of the worst players in the NBA. He's too skinny, injury prone, and plays NO defense.
Exactly. And Martin was also fairly decent at attacking the basket and drawing fouls. Now, he's too scared of contact and just wants to be a jump shooter. Without his ability to do the arm swing and get to the line, he's useless.

Smokey

Well, that didn't take long: with Atlanta GM Danny Ferry in his first day on the job, the message is spreading that he'll be looking to shake up the Hawks' roster and rebuild in some capacity. No specifics yet, but forward Josh Smith has tremendous value and an expiring contract (next season at $13.2 million), center Al Horford will be healthy again and is an attractive piece as well (four years, $48 million remaining) and shooting guard Joe Johnson has the sort of deal that any sane GM would try - and likely try in vain - to get rid of (four years and $89.3 million left).

Wouldn't be surprised if Smith ends up with the Rockets if the Howard thing doesn't pan out. Morey has liked him for a long time. Although that's not really saying much..

Matrix

I need to find this!

Big men (and little men)! When The Dream gives you post advice, fucking listen and apply it.

http://blogs.bettor.com/Hakeem-Olajuwon-wants-more-from-Dwight-Howard-NBA-Update-a88269

" “He just said I want you to do them in the game, and tell your coach you got a lot of skills and he needs to let you use all your skills,” Howard said on Tuesday"

I cant find the video now :\

It was more in depth and he brought up the fact Dwight didnt use his moves in games like the other players.

giri

Roy would make them great if he can be a 13 to 17 ppg 5ast guy....take a lot of pressure off of Rubio and give them outside shooting all at once..

Well, yeah, of course.

But can he be that guy anymore? Last year really wasn't promising.

Also, yeah, late lottery is terrible place to be. Look at the suns. Roster full of role players and no out.

Also, josh smith would look good on the mavs next to deron and drik.

pilonv1

oh boy

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--b...--mavs--pacers-and-t-wolves--sources-say.html

NEW YORK – As ex-Portland Trail Blazer Brandon Roy plans his comeback to the NBA, the Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks, Indiana Pacers and Minnesota Timberwolves have emerged as serious suitors to sign the former All-Star guard, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Roy's recovery from chronic knee problems has been recently spurred by undergoing the platelet rich plasma therapy procedure that Lakers star Kobe Bryant popularized with NBA players, sources said. The blood spinning procedure gave profound relief to the knees of Bryant, Tracy McGrady and baseball star Alex Rodriguez. Brandon Roy's last NBA game was in 2011, a playoff game against Dallas.

The Golden State Warriors have also expressed strong interest with Roy. The Warriors' general manager, Bob Myers, was Roy's agent with the Wasserman Media Group.

Let the Brandon Roy sweepstakes begin

Matrix

"Tracy McGrady"

So he got pain relief and his game left him any way. That's pretty sad.

Dm go cry your eyes out.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Isn't he missing cartilage or something that can't be fixed and forced him into retirement in the first place?

He's missing meniscus in both which is resulting in his bones grinding up against the cartilage in his knees, which will eventually result in severe degradation of his knees. At least, that's what his doctor told him when he retired/was amnestied.

Canuck76

Banned
Hahahaha Mike Rice, a Portland commentator, who has seen Drumm's workouts

@JustBlaze52: If Drummond falls to #6 I bet that the Blazers will take him...
@mikerice6: Wanna bet
@PDXKass: Drummond or Lillard at 6; who else might we pick?
@mikerice6: forget drummond. Dropping
@ranKismet: rivers? Thumb up or down at 11? Would love him and Drummond for #Blazers.
@mikerice6: forget drummond
@jhassler80: If Drummond slips to 11 then is he worth the risk? Don't think he will but...
@mikerice6: he will slip. Even lower
@celticwarrior80: trade #6 pick and one 2nd round to move up to get Andre Drummond is that alittle insane???
@mikerice6: dont like him

23:6 KJV

Banned
Does he not want to walk later in life or something?

Damn, did Drummond kill someone's baby or something? People are full on hating on the guy by now.

giri

"Tracy McGrady"

So he got pain relief and his game left him any way. That's pretty sad.

Dm go cry your eyes out.

T-Mac looked ok in the play offs. Not Orlando good, but worth being on the floor.

He's missing meniscus in both which is resulting in his bones grinding up against the cartilage in his knees, which will eventually result in severe degradation of his knees. At least, that's what his doctor told him when he retired/was amnestied.

Yeah, my understanding was that his bones are rubbing together and playing on them basically means he WILL be a cripple.

SamuraiX-

Kings Extend Qualifying Offer to Jason Thompson

SACRAMENTO, CALIF., June. 25, 2012 -- The Sacramento Kings today extended a qualifying offer to Jason Thompson, making him a restricted free agent, according to Kings President of Basketball Operations Geoff Petrie.

Thompson averaged 9.1 ppg (.535 FG, .602 FT), 6.9 rpg and 1.2 apg through 64 outings with the Kings last season, of which he started 47. He was selected by Sacramento with the 12th overall pick of the 2008 NBA Draft and is averaging 10.5 ppg (.498 FG, .663 FT), 7.2 rpg, and 1.3 apg over his four-year career.

In accordance with the league’s collective bargaining agreement, in order for a team to retain its right of first refusal with respect to a restricted free agent, the team must tender the player a qualifying offer prior to June 30. A restricted free agent may sign an offer sheet with any team, but is subject to a right of first refusal with the team for which the player last played.

Took them fucking long enough.

Go ahead, league. Do your worst.

Jonm1010

Banned
Hahahaha Mike Rice, a Portland commentator, who has seen Drumm's workouts

@JustBlaze52: If Drummond falls to #6 I bet that the Blazers will take him...
@mikerice6: Wanna bet
@PDXKass: Drummond or Lillard at 6; who else might we pick?
@mikerice6: forget drummond. Dropping
@ranKismet: rivers? Thumb up or down at 11? Would love him and Drummond for #Blazers.
@mikerice6: forget drummond
@jhassler80: If Drummond slips to 11 then is he worth the risk? Don't think he will but...
@mikerice6: he will slip. Even lower
@celticwarrior80: trade #6 pick and one 2nd round to move up to get Andre Drummond is that alittle insane???
@mikerice6: dont like him

If we had only one pick I wouldn't risk it on him....since we have two I wouldn't be upset if we took the gamble at ten. Personally I feel he'll never be Dwight Howard but I really don't see him failing like Kwame either.

I feel like unless somehow Lillard drops that there really isn't anyone at ten that can come in and be a difference maker or a potential star player in a couple years. Role players can be had in free agency but stars aren't going to line up for new Orleans. I'd be ok with taking the risk.....though I'm not a GM that has to live with the consequences and reality is rumors say Dell Demps doesn't like the kid at all and he and our scouting department probably know better then me.
Drummond doesn't get past Detroit or Milwaukee.

Not much of a drop..and probably that's where he should go.
Is Monroe not going to stick at center for Detroit?

Detroit wants a big.

Milwaukee is his floor.

They have been trying to trade up with GS to get him.

He's better off going to a place where he doesn't have to be the savior.

Jonm1010

Banned
Detroit wants a big.

Milwaukee is his floor.

They have been trying to trade up with GS to get him.

He's better off going to a place where he doesn't have to be the savior.

That's true. He certainly will need several years to be ready to make an impact and I think him going to a team that may force him to start too early or puts high expectations on him may destroy any chance he has at succeeding.

If Lillard doesn't drop, which he won't, were probably gonna end up taking zeller since rumors are Demps spoke very highly of him. So oh we'll, one potential star and one role player in one draft, can't really complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom