• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
If you're going to be shedding that much in salary you should go after someone better and younger than Crawford. OJ Mayo should be your target, but heck you might as well swing for Gordon too just in case.

Mayo and Gordon are RFAs, though. And I'm pretty sure somebody doesn't like OJ Mayo within the organization. He's been on the block for ever, and the Wolves have never bit even though they start Wes Johnson.

There's been a lot of smoke around Russian SG Alexey Shved for a couple weeks now, and I won't be mad picking him up. Although it will make the starting lineup all white/Euro which is weird, but I'm pretty sure not intentional.

SamuraiX-

Nice summary of reports from around the NBA:

Other draft buzz from conversations with executives and agents with the draft a little more than 48 hours away:

* After Anthony Davis goes to New Orleans with the No. 1 pick, the next four picks, in some order, will be Thomas Robinson, Bradley Beal, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Harrison Barnes, sources say. The draft really begins with the sixth pick, with strong indications in recent days that the Trail Blazers would take Damian Lillard of Weber State. But in the past 24 hours, two other names have surfaced with respect to Portland: Dion Waiters and Austin Rivers. That could be an indication that Portland is considering trading the pick.

* Cleveland wants Beal and has offered the No. 4 pick and either the 33rd or 34th pick to Charlotte for the No. 2 pick, which would allow the Cavs to jump ahead of Washington and land the Florida guard. The hangup is that Charlotte, not in love with anyone available at No. 2, wants Cleveland's 24th pick. Cleveland also has had conversations with Sacramento (No. 5) and Golden State (No. 7), but the Charlotte deal makes the most sense and sources say there is enough momentum and desire on both sides to get it done. The Bobcats like Robinson and Barnes, and at least one of them will be available at No. 4; if Cleveland got Beal with the second pick, Washington might take Barnes at No. 3, sources said.

* Waiters is one of three players the Warriors are considering with the seventh pick.

* The Raptors would take Waiters with the eighth pick, but if he's gone, sources say Toronto would take Rivers or Jeremy Lamb.

* The Pistons would "absolutely" take Andre Drummond with the ninth pick. If he's gone, Detroit is believed to be comfortable with John Henson or Tyler Zeller.

* Rounding out the top 10, the Hornets are believed to be targeting Rivers, Lamb or Meyers Leonard, sources said. The wild card of the top 15 is Jared Sullinger based on concerns over a medical issue with his back.

The Raptors being so keen on taking a SG makes me thing they've given up on DeRozan.

Not sure I'm getting the Rivers to 6 hype much. How often do gunner guards who lack elite athleticism and shooting really help their team win games?

Derozan gave up on himself. Everybody isnt destined to be a starter.

DeRozan's intangibles/personality/work ethic are fine, his skill level is terrible and his BBIQ is bad which is the issue.

Mayo and Gordon are RFAs, though. And I'm pretty sure somebody doesn't like OJ Mayo within the organization. He's been on the block for ever, and the Wolves have never bit even though they start Wes Johnson.

There's been a lot of smoke around Russian SG Alexey Shved for a couple weeks now, and I won't be mad picking him up. Although it will make the starting lineup all white/Euro which is weird, but I'm pretty sure not intentional.

I've never heard of Alexey Shved, how good is he?

Not sure I'm getting the Rivers to 6 hype much. How often do gunner guards who lack elite athleticism and shooting really help their team win games?

DeRozan's intangibles/personality/work ethic are fine, his skill level is terrible and his BBIQ is bad which is the issue.

Bu-but his NBA pedigree. Can't teach that yo.

I wonder if he never hit that game winner would he get as much hype? I'm glad he's rising up the board because Doug loves him. I have accepted my Jones future.

Brinbe

Don't think the Magic are going for that Rockets offer. So Morey's probably looking elsewhere to unload those picks.

Anyway, PJ3 is worth the risk outside the lottery.

balddemon

Banned
Don't think the Magic are going for that Rockets offer. So Morey's probably looking elsewhere to unload those picks.

Anyway, PJ3 is worth the risk outside the lottery.

why wouldn't they? that seems like an incredibly great deal for the magic. 5 top 20 picks? even in an pretty weak draft outside like the top 10 (edit: hell, it's weak outside the 1st pick), that's still amazing for a brand new GM coming in, asuming he makes smart picks.

AwVWbPaCIAI3uQA.jpg:medium

Bu-but his NBA pedigree. Can't teach that yo.

I wonder if he never hit that game winner would he get as much hype? I'm glad he's rising up the board because Doug loves him. I have accepted my Jones future.

Nope, motherfucker will always live off of that shot.

Before that he was known as a cocky, inefficient volume scorer with a terrible penchant for committing charges. Now he's a cocky, inefficient volume scorer with a terrible penchant for committing charges BUT HE HITS THE BIGGEST SHOTS IN THE BIGGEST MOMENTS.

SamuraiX-

Torn between Barnes and Lillard. Warming up to Rivers.

How? How is this even possible? Kid is like everything you don't want in a rookie SG. Undersized, ball-dominant, average streaky shooter, and thinks he's better than he really is and ever will be.

I forgot, what team to do you root for?

Bowser

So there's an Insider article out that has players from their respective teams making the team's pick. Can only see #1 and #2 (non-Insider) and here's what Gerald Henderson said:

2. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, F, Kentucky
Selected by: Gerald Henderson

"More than anything, he just plays really hard, and that's what our team could really use," says Bobcats guard Henderson, the only Charlotte player to start more than 50 games last season. "I wouldn't say he's a great ball handler or shooter or rebounder, but he's got some slashing ability. His effort and passion for the game is what really stands out." (Kidd-Gilchrist averaged 11.9 ppg and 7.4 rpg last season.)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...magazine-holds-fourth-players-only-mock-draft

Yes, for a team as talent-bereft as the Bobcats, let's draft the guy that you "wouldn't say [is] a great ball handler or shooter or rebounder."

smh

edit: lololol Bradley Beal at #19 to the Magic in this Players' Draft

SamuraiX-

MJ's an idiot if he doesn't pull the trigger on that. If Cavs do indeed take Beal @ #2, Wiz say they're interested in taking Barnes @ #3 if Beal is gone. That means MKG and T-Rob are both still available @ #4. No-brainer.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
How? How is this even possible? Kid is like everything you don't want in a rookie SG. Undersized, ball-dominant, average streaky shooter, and thinks he's better than he really is and ever will be.

I forgot, what team to do you root for?

How is Rivers undersized?

Bowser

How is Rivers undersized?

I think he's a little small at 6'3". Seems to be a concern:

Austin Rivers, 6-3 guard, Duke: "My biggest concern with him is size. He's never going to be a pure point because it's not in his personality. He's a capable passer, but he hasn't been a willing passer. He's hard to play with, frankly, because he dominates the ball. It depends on who the coach is. I did not like what I saw at Duke. I thought he was spoiled and selfish. He's a streaky outside shooter, not a great one."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/seth_davis/06/25/NBA-draft/index.html#ixzz1yvVaEkpO

Could potentially package #24, #31, and #34 for a late lottery selection as well...

That's what I'm hoping for. Teams over the salary cap will definitely be tempted with early second round picks, especially when 1st round quality talent like Lamb, Jenkins, Wroten, etc. will be available on the cheap.

Kevtones

I'm a Portland fan, Samurai.

I gues we settle on Lillard/Barnes and go for a big. Weird feeling Claver or Babbitt gets traded in a Crawford deal.

KingGondo

Banned
I don't feel like those kind of desperate, ass-kissing measures ever work on free agents.

Cuban can walk into the room, say "I'll pay to surround you with greatness, I've won a championship, and Dirk is already here. The Nets sure spent a lot on new logos and that birthday sign, but do they have anyone close to Dirk?"

Jonm1010

Banned
So we like Lamb, Rivers and Leonard at ten.

Fuck rivers. I don't want a selfish combo guard that is going to chase his ego and dominate the ball. Not with Eric Gordon next to him who is already better in every way then Rivers and gordon doesn't need to fight with some punk kid for touches.

I like Lamb but why? Either we're letting Gordon leave or we spent our lottery pick on a backup who will probably see ten minutes a night.

I guess Leonard then. I think his ceiling is an adequate starter but he definitely has some nice size and we have Davis there to pick up his slack defensively which he struggled with. Still don't like the idea of two front court players that need to add thirty and twenty pounds respectively to truly be NBA ready potentially starting for us......though I guess that could mean another high draft pick next year which I'm ok with.

squicken

Why would Orlando take Houston's offer? Surely GMs have figured out that when losing a superstar you just let him go. Fan interest is the same in Houston's 40 win team like it would be for a 10 win team.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Air Bud gone? Say it ain't so!

Actually I don't care, Chandler "Bing" Parsons is better.

Why would Orlando take Houston's offer? Surely GMs have figured out that when losing a superstar you just let him go. Fan interest is the same in Houston's 40 win team like it would be for a 10 win team.

Is it better? I guess it worked out for NOLA and Cleveland, but I attribute that to luck.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I'm a Portland fan, Samurai.

I gues we settle on Lillard/Barnes and go for a big. Weird feeling Claver or Babbitt gets traded in a Crawford deal.

Crawford opted out. Portland would only be doing him a favor to do a S&T.

Anyway:

@KBergCBS said:
Knicks star Amar'e Stoudemire has been fined $50,000 by the #NBA for using derogatory language on Twitter, league office announces.

There were some rumors about the Blazers trying to get Dwight...Man LMA-Dwight would be awesome. Best paint protector and rebounder in the NBA together with one of the best perimeter and PnR defending big men in the NBA. Great mid-post game of Aldridge with potentially super effective lowpost sealoffs from Dwight. One of the best PnR players and one of the best PnP players...Never going to happen but would be a great combo.

squicken

Is it better? I guess it worked out for NOLA and Cleveland, but I attribute that to luck.

As far as morning drive sports talk, no one talks about the Rockets. The only callers are people who do complain about Alexander not understanding that being in the middle is the worst place to be.

And I'm pretty sure attendance has been increasingly awful. I think that's why they don't care if they get Howard and he walks. Alexander may finally get it.

Oh squicken

I'm sure for the die hard NBA fans there is always interest. But as far as radio, there's 10x more interest in Longhorns spring practice

There were some rumors about the Blazers trying to get Dwight...Man LMA-Dwight would be awesome. Best paint protector and rebounder in the NBA together with one of the best perimeter and PnR defending big men in the NBA. Great mid-post game of Aldridge with potentially super effective lowpost sealoffs from Dwight. One of the best PnR players and one of the best PnP players...Never going to happen but would be a great combo.
Too bad it ain't gonna happen. #6 and #11 picks + Wes Mathews + draft rights to Freeland and/or Claver would be a decent haul for the Magic if they wanted to start a rebuild.

Blazers could have enough money left over to sign Deron Williams too. Dream scenarios like this can't happen because Portland isn't a big market like NY or LA.

As far as morning drive sports talk, no one talks about the Rockets. The only callers are people who do complain about Alexander not understanding that being in the middle is the worst place to be.

And I'm pretty sure attendance has been increasingly awful. I think that's why they don't care if they get Howard and he walks. Alexander may finally get it.

I agree, going for broke in free agency is a good idea for Houston. If you gut your team to get Howard and he walks you'll be in the lottery for the next few years while you rebuild. Houston isn't exactly a small market team either, it's the 5th largest in the country-so that should at least give you hope that Howard might be enticed to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom