• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

As far as morning drive sports talk, no one talks about the Rockets. The only callers are people who do complain about Alexander not understanding that being in the middle is the worst place to be.

And I'm pretty sure attendance has been increasingly awful. I think that's why they don't care if they get Howard and he walks. Alexander may finally get it.

I'm sure for the die hard NBA fans there is always interest. But as far as radio, there's 10x more interest in Longhorns spring practice

I'm not sure what your point is or what you're getting at? Nobody talks about them because they have been average for 3 years in a row. The last time they made the playoffs yao was on the team. You think that's coincidence? Nobody wants to talk about Kevin Martin or watch a bunch of role players. Last straw was probably the end of the season when they completely collapsed and missed playoffs with less than 2 wks to go.

KingGondo

Banned
I agree, going for broke in free agency is a good idea for Houston. If you gut your team to get Howard and he walks you'll be in the lottery for the next few years while you rebuild. Houston isn't exactly a small market team either, it's the 5th largest in the country-so that should at least give you hope that Howard might be enticed to stay.
Largeness of the market in and of itself doesn't matter to guys like Dwight.

Places like New York and LA appeal to media-
whores
savvy guys like Dwight because of the media exposure and business opportunities--Houston's huge primarily because of the oil and gas industry.

Unless the Rox suddenly become a real contender with his addition (which I doubt, unless they're able to snag both Dwight and Deron), he'll be gone after next year. There's nothing for him in Houston.

squicken

I'm not sure what your point is or what you're getting at? Nobody talks about them because they have been average for 3 years in a row. The last time they made the playoffs yao was on the team. You think that's coincidence? Nobody wants to talk about Kevin Martin or watch a bunch of role players. Last straw was probably the end of the season when they completely collapsed and missed playoffs with less than 2 wks to go.

My point was that all along Les didn't want to tank b/c he didn't want to lose attendance and fan interest. I was just pointing out that it happened anyway, and hopefully Les understands(and I think he does) that now and they get out of the middle.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=218174

They were 23rd in attendance as of April, which is awful for a larger market team. I think interest was further waning with or without the collapse

Anthony Davis...
nba_mockdraft_uni_576.jpg

Emperor Kuzco (Llama form)...
kuzco_cursed.png

I KNEW he looked familiar, ever since that horrible teeth pic 2 months ago it's been bugging me.

Smokey

My point was that all along Les didn't want to tank b/c he didn't want to lose attendance and fan interest. I was just pointing out that it happened anyway, and hopefully Les understands(and I think he does) that now and they get out of the middle.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=218174

They were 23rd in attendance as of April, which is awful for a larger market team. I think interest was further waning with or without the collapse

Would you support a team that is headlined by Kevin Martin, if your not a bball head?

Largeness of the market in and of itself doesn't matter to guys like Dwight.

Places like New York and LA appeal to media-
whores
savvy guys like Dwight because of the media exposure and business opportunities--Houston's huge primarily because of the oil and gas industry.

Unless the Rox suddenly become a real contender with his addition (which I doubt, unless they're able to snag both Dwight and Deron), he'll be gone after next year. There's nothing for him in Houston.

The LA/NY or bust thing is getting tiring. Maybe Dwight will try to be a little more original and go somewhere different like Lebron did.

KingGondo

Banned
The LA/NY or bust thing is getting tiring. Maybe Dwight will try to be a little more original and go somewhere different like Lebron did.
Dwight would get a lot more media exposure from being on a team like OKC than he would being in a "major market" like Houston.

Not that I expect OKC to entertain the thought of pursuing him.

If you're a big enough star, the cameras and endorsements will follow you. Look at KD.

Kevtones

Too bad it ain't gonna happen. #6 and #11 picks + Wes Mathews + draft rights to Freeland and/or Claver would be a decent haul for the Magic if they wanted to start a rebuild.

Blazers could have enough money left over to sign Deron Williams too. Dream scenarios like this can't happen because Portland isn't a big market like NY or LA.

Saw this too. It's a pretty good deal both ways :(

Smokey

Dwight would get a lot more media exposure from being on a team like OKC than he would being in a "major market" like Houston.

Not that I expect OKC to entertain the thought of pursuing him.

If you're a big enough star, the cameras and endorsements will follow you. Look at KD.

You mean he'd get more run on a team that is up and coming and just went to the finals? Of course he would. Unless you're talking about if he was drafted to okc ...if that was the case he'd probably get the same amount of shine he did in orl.

There's no disputing Houston is a major market. It's just that if you suck, see astros and rockets, people will devote their time and focus on other shit in and around the city.

charsace

Zeller has been growing on me.....I like his brother better but I think Tyler can be a solid middle of the road center who won't win you any games but won't cost you any.

Leonard has allstar potential. Big, strong, athletic and improving his game rapidly. In one year he went from a scrub to one of the best big men in college basketball.

KingGondo

Banned
You mean he'd get more run on a team that is up and coming and just went to the finals? Of course he would. Unless you're talking about if he was drafted to okc ...if that was the case he'd probably get the same amount of shine he did in orl.

There's no disputing Houston is a major market. It's just that if you suck, see astros and rockets, people will devote their time and focus on other shit in and around the city.
It's a big-ass city, but it's not a major media market--that's the kind of stuff guys like Dwight are drawn to.

He wants to be in movies, commercials, make TV show appearances, etc. because somebody has convinced him that not only is he a great basketball player, he's god's gift to comedy and entertainment. Houston doesn't offer that, and it doesn't offer the next-best thing--a surefire title contender if he goes there (barring other major guys signing as well).

Who's the last big FA that the Rockets signed?

iamshadowlark said:
I know if OKC had won the title, I'd be posting oodles of screencaps of them hanging out with Oprah.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
There was a fake Chris Broussard twitter account that said Rondo got dealt.

The real joke is that the real Chris Broussard might as well have tweeted it, and it would have been just as accurate.

squicken

Would you support a team that is headlined by Kevin Martin, if your not a bball head?

Absolutely not. I couldn't have been a bigger Rockets fan than when Dream was in his prime. But when Steve Francis and Kelvin Cato took over I decided I wasn't going to watch if I hated the players I was watching.

I guess I'm not sure where you stand. Would you rather have no stars and no Kevin Martin but stay competitive and hope to one day swing a great trade or FA signing, or would you rather go 12-70 a few years and take your chances in the lottery?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ha, was wondering why he was holding that shit too. What the hell?

And anyone else seeing those tweets on the Cavs and the 2nd pick? Apparently, they're fiendin for dat Beal. Willing to give all that up just to jump ahead of the Wiz.

Ugh I just can't stand the feel of giving up our entire draft for this kid.

But it would also be the luck of Cleveland, for us to pass on the deal, then he turns out to be that Ray Allen level scoring talent.

We're screwed either way.

SamuraiX-

There's a higher probability of Wince Carter making the HoF over Dwight Howard?

The same VC who has made it to a Conference Finals a single time in his career while being carried by the guy mentioned above who took his team to the Finals?

If both careers ended today, you don't think people would rate VC over howards sorry ass?

Smokey

Absolutely not. I couldn't have been a bigger Rockets fan than when Dream was in his prime. But when Steve Francis and Kelvin Cato took over I decided I wasn't going to watch if I hated the players I was watching.

I guess I'm not sure where you stand. Would you rather have no stars and no Kevin Martin but stay competitive and hope to one day swing a great trade or FA signing, or would you rather go 12-70 a few years and take your chances in the lottery?

Lottery. Go back a few pages and that's one of the reasons I don't have a problem with them destroying the team for Howard. When hr leaves, if he comes, they will be certified legit garbo and will get high lottery picks in retutn.

I was speaking more to why nobody gives a fuck about the squad in Houston. With the roster now its been proven they aren't bad enough to get high lottery picks, so might as well swing for fences and see where it goes.

giri

Lottery. Go back a few pages and that's one of the reasons I don't have a problem with them destroying the team for Howard. When hr leaves, if he comes, they will be certified legit garbo and will get high lottery picks in retutn.

I was speaking more to why nobody gives a fuck about the squad in Houston. With the roster now its been proven they aren't bad enough to get high lottery picks, so might as well swing for fences and see where it goes.

In principal, i agree. Its why i don't want to see Nash back here unless we sign Eric Gordon too.

I thought the consensus at that time was Marcus > Markieff.

Wasn't it one of the bigger surprises of the season that SunsMorris was producing levels better than RocketsMorris?

I think they were both relatively un-known entities with no guarantee.

But Markieff was always the better, i thought.

Wtf has VC done in his career besides winning a dunk contest and jumping over a 7-footer?

Be one of the most skilled guys at his position since he's been in? Howard is pretty average and is pretty much the best center by default in today's nba. Look at their respective career stats and tell me prime VC doesn't shit on whatever stage you wanna call howard now.

Uhhh wut?

Suns-Morris is Best-Morris. And i'm not actually joking about that one.

He clearly is going off of what was said heading into the last draft and then didn't pay attention to how the season played out for the two of them. I remember it was unanimous that Marcus was supposed to be better and everyone trolled us when we drafted Markieff with both on the board. I felt Markieff made more sense between the two for us because we desperately needed defense and rebounding and he had better size. Didn't imagine Marcus would struggle so much and end up d-league fodder, however.

I remember most of the mocks settling on Kieff for us which ended up being correct, this year the predictions have changed more often. Most have Dion Waiters now but he's been trending up on the boards. Apparently we visited with Moultrie's family in Memphis...I've never even heard of him before today... Ace, what's your take on Moultrie?

SamuraiX-

I think they were both relatively un-known entities with no guarantee.

But Markieff was always the better, i thought.

Not entirely sure. I guess that would make sense considering Suns took Markieff @ #13 just before the Rockets took Marcus @ #14.

I just remember a lot of clowning from GAF when the Suns made that pick.

If guys could pull it off while keeping Parsons, Dragic, and maybe Patterson and Lee, then I'd be all for it too if I was a Rockets fan.

giri

Be one of the most skilled guys at his position since he's been in? Howard is pretty average and is pretty much the best center by default in today's nba. Look at their respective career stats and tell me prime VC doesn't shit on whatever stage you wanna call howard now.

I think most peoples problem with VC is that he never lived up to his promise, and his drop off was quick, massive, and depressing to watch. He never fought to stay relevant, he just gave up.

Not entirely sure. I guess that would make sense considering Suns took Markieff @ #13 just before the Rockets took Marcus @ #14.

I just remember a lot of clowning from GAF when the Suns made that pick.

No, you're right. Marcus was the scorer in college while Kieff played D and crashed the boards. The scorer always gets more notice. Everyone joked that we chose the worst twin again and all the more funny because both were on board to choose between. I felt we made the right choice between the two given their strengths and our need, but I felt underwhelmed at the time regardless. Best Morris exceeded my expectations and was virtually the only bright spot of the season.

giri

No, you're right. Marcus was the scorer in college while Kieff played D and crashed the boards. The scorer always gets more notice. Everyone joked that we chose the worst twin again and all the more funny because both were on board to choose between. I felt we made the right choice between the two given their strengths and our need, but I felt underwhelmed at the time regardless. Best Morris exceeded my expectations and was virtually the only bright spot of the season.

There were 2 good things about last season.

Best-Morris.

Dudleys un-ending positive attitude. He should be a co-captain at worst this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom