• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEW ORLEANS — Phil Jackson has a message for everybody criticizing Andrew Bynum.

Settle down.

The former Lakers coach told The Times he enjoyed seeing Bynum's development, even if it had been filled with inexplicable turns the last few weeks.

"Bynum is not quite mature, but everyone should relax and watch him grow up," Jackson said via email. "This year has been a big step for him offensively…nice to see…and when he takes up the mantle as defensive captain the Lakers can get back in the hunt."

So yes, Phil and Jim are in agreement with regards to Bynum's maturity. As I argued.

linsivvi

*Shrug*

I have no time for word games. Phil and Jim disagree on Bynum's role on the team, that's all that matters. The worst thing you can have is an owner meddling with basketball decisions. If you think it's fine, then good luck. At this rate we'll be the LA Knicks in a few years.

*Shrug*

I have no time for word games. Phil and Jim disagree on Bynum's role on the team, that's all that matters. The worst thing you can have is an owner meddling with basketball decisions. If you think it's fine, then good luck. At this rate we'll be the LA Knicks in a few years.

It's not word games. You quoted nothing that had to do with strategy in that post, you quoted Jim on Bynum's maturity.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39280972&postcount=4245

Which I directly responded and you brought up Phil which I demonstrated agreed with Jim.

Phil also thought what Bynum was doing was nice 2 months ago. Whatever.

Also, Jerry is the owner. Jim works for him and had been part GM for a long time now. Were you complaining when he was part of the Pau trade? Or Ariza? Or the others? Because he was.

I still want to know what the Lakers didn't do this season that would have drastically changed the outcome. What is Jim doing that is holding the team back? The Knicks are who they are because they made insanely stupid trades. Comparing the lakers to them is like comparing tom penny to thekad in trolling.

I can't tell if you just ignorant how the NBA operates or too spoiled as a Laker fan that 2 seasons removed from b2b titles you are already whining.

FFS, he traded for CP3. They might have won a title if that move isn't Stern'd.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
we'll see.
He was more than willing to give up pau to get cp3 or deron before the trade deadline.
Rope a dope answer.

Dwight for drew. Do it Jim. Search your heart. You know its true.

Its not he wouldn't do that trade right now..but he has nothing else to really offer Orlando..

linsivvi

It's not word games. You quoted nothing that had to do with strategy in that post, you quoted Jim on Bynum's maturity.

It is. The point of your whole rant was to defend Jim Buss, the indefensible. Nobody knows if Bynum will "grow up" but all we know is he's a selfish ass on and off the court right now, and that's besides the point.

Phil said this: I think he's hired his coach to have Andrew have a bigger and bigger role. And that kind of disjointed the symmetry of what the Lakers were really about.

Phil is saying Jim Buss picked Mike Brown and it screwed up the Lakers. Everyone knew a year ago that Mike Brown is a terrible coach and is the wrong choice for the Lakers. Everyone but you and Jim.

I can't tell if you just ignorant how the NBA operates or too spoiled as a Laker fan that 2 seasons removed from b2b titles you are already whining.

There's one thing I can tell you about the real world: nepotism is seldom a good thing.

The Lakers won because Jerry Buss let West do his job. Jim could learn a page from his father and let Mitch do his.

I'm looking at the next 10, 15 years, not right now. Every sensible person knows that this Laker team is done.

Jim Buss
that's how it's DONE
(Today, 04:55 PM)

giri

The Lakers won because Jerry Buss let West do his job. Jim could learn a page from his father and let Mitch do his.

I'm looking at the next 10, 15 years, not right now. Every sensible person knows that this Laker team is done.

I agree on both points. But ... i think the lakers will be in the play offs till kobe has completely fallen off, or injuries ruin them. Until that happens, you could be stuck in that horrible 5 - 8 spot for a few seasons.

giga

GM rankings. Minimum five picks to qualify.

l8Agk.png

Elite (examples: Kevin Durant, LeBron James, Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant)
1-3 - 7.5 points
4-8 - 8 points
9-14 - 8.5 points
15-20 - 9 points
21-30 - 10 points
Second - 10 points

Perennial All-Star (Paul Pierce, Dirk, Chris Paul, Garnett)
1-3 - 7 points
4-8 - 7.5 points
9-14 - 8 points
15-20 - 8.5 points
21-30 - 9 points
Early 2nd (31-40) - 9.5 points
Second - 10 points

Occasional All-Star (Joe Johnson, Rudy Gay, Danny Granger, Devin Harris)
1-3 - 5 points
4-8 - 6 points
9-14 - 7 points
15-20 - 7.5 points
21-30 - 8 points
Early 2nd (31-40) - 8.5 points
Second - 9 points

Solid starter (Arron Afflalo, Tyreke Evans, Luke Ridnour, Raymond Felton)
1-3 - 2.5 points
4-8 - 3.5 points
9-14 - 4.5 points
15-20 - 5.5 points
21-30 - 6 points
Early 2nd (31-40) - 6.5 points
Second - 7 points

Quality reserve (C.J. Miles, Michael Beasley, Taj Gibson, Thaddeus Young)
1-3 - minus-1 points
4-8 - 1.5 points
9-14 - 3 points
15-20 - 4 points
21-30 - 5 points
Early 2nd (31-40) - 6 points
Second - 6.5 points

Rotation player (Ronny Turiaf, Patrick Patterson, Ryan Gomes)
1-3 - minus-3 points
4-8 - minus-1 points
9-14 - 0 points
15-20 - 1.5 points
21-30 - 2.5 points
Early 2nd (31-40) - 3.5 points
Second - 4.5 points

Bench player (A.J. Price, Jon Brockman, Luke Harangody)
1-3 - minus-5 points
4-8 - minus-4 points
9-14 - minus-3 points
15-20 - minus-1 points
21-30 - 1 points
Early 2nd (31-40) - 2.5 points
Second - 3.5 points

Overseas/Out of league (Joe Alexander, Alexis Ajinca, Morris Almond)
1-3 - Minus-7.5 points
4-8 - Minus-6.5 points
9-14 - Minus-5 points
15-20 - Minus-4 points
21-30 - Minus-3 points
Early Second (31-35) - minus-1 points
Second - 0 points

SamuraiX-

Petrie right being Presti and Kahn separating himself by good margin even from the lowest rated GMs.

Rating system seems legit.

Edit: Just noticed R.C. Buford being so low. meh

linsivvi

I would love for this to happen for the right terms.
I honestly can't see him playing for any city other then LA or NY. He needs to be coddled by his friends and family to have a chance to be effective again.

Lucky for him, there are 4 choices.

SamuraiX-

Gaf- I have a chance to go to the draft, seats will be shitty tho- is it worth going to live?

If you've never been to one, then yeah, go. You should check it out at least once.

In other news:
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo
An NBA exec believes Top 4 picks to be Davis, Robinson, Beal & Kidd-Gilchrist. Robinson's camp confident he's going to CHA if #2 isnt dealt.

So the only hope is Cleveland drafting Barnes... Come on, Cavs. Go get that NBA-ready, offensive SF threat!

Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress
I'm told that as many as nine 1st round prospects have medical red-flags that could impact their standing. Could be a rough night for some.

olawd

Gaf- I have a chance to go to the draft, seats will be shitty tho- is it worth going to live?

ESPN audio is fed throughout the whole theater, so you not missing anything from a tv broadcast.

No trades announced until the 2nd round. So make sure you have your smartphone available so you can keep up with GAF on the hype.

Dont forget your cheese doodles for Stephen A.

And you get to boo the Knicks pick. Go, snap some pics for us.

If you've never been to one, then yeah, go. You should check it out at least once.

In other news:

So the only hope is Cleveland drafting Barnes... Come on, Cavs. Go get that NBA-ready, offensive SF threat!

olawd

So, Mike Is really gonna pass on Drummond, huh? Fear of Kwame.

Sullinger, Q Miller, Lamb, and who else?

Was Miller flagged for something other than his ACL tear?

Also, eff to the yeah about the Maggette for Gordon + future 1st trade! We're +1 on picks owed to us now, and hopefully we'll be handing Chicago our mid 1st in 2015 and still be able to pick in the lottery with Detroit's pick.

Brinbe

This draft process is just weird this year... just don't get all the love for guys like Rivers/Waiters/Lillard while someone like Ross is a bit ignored. Anyone else feel this way?

Personally, I'd love for the Raps to select him (if guys like Barnes/Drummond are indeed gone before us), but don't think they're too interested, unfortunately. Just think he has the size/athleticism/skill/2-way ability to be a success at the next level and he's being slept on.

if the mavs don't get dwill I wouldn't mind seeing a rebuild. that or sign a lot of players to one year deals and see what happens in 2013. From there, the mavs need to try to get cp3/Howard if either are available or id just like to see the mavs start completely over if they can't get one of those guys

Oozer3993

Donnie Nelson, poet.

You can do all your homework and have everything properly organized and have it all lined up, but when it's draft night and you're on the clock and you have three minutes and your coconuts are on the table — when it's nut-cutting time, as we say — that's when you separate the boys from the men.

When the breakup of the Soviet Union happened, we told Arvydas that if he cared anything about the future of basketball in his country, he would go back and fuck every chick he could possibly find. And he better not use the blanks — he better use the 7-foot-4 cartridges.

Bowser

The rumour about the Wizards taking calls from teams who want to trade up and take Robinson is a smoke screen, don't fall for it Cho.

I'm fine with T-Rob, Barnes, or MKG and one of those 3 WILL be there at 4, so fuck the Wizards. Shouldn't let them scare us out of a couple of extra picks.

KingGondo

Banned
The rumour about the Wizards taking calls from teams who want to trade up and take Robinson is a smoke screen, don't fall for it Cho.
Agreed. Wiz would be dumb to move back, they'll get either MKG or Beal and either one of those guys would help their squad a lot.

Wiz could actually be a playoff team next year. Not that that's saying much in the East, but still.

KingJ2002

The lakers problems are two fold at this point:

1. Consistency of shooters
2. Depth in Bench

IMO... the problem isn't at the point anymore.. Sessions faded in the playoffs true but at the same time he puts up double digits and attacks when necessary. He will grow to become better for the lakers if we re-sign him.

We need a more consistent bench and a better shooter at the 3 and the lakers can get back into the finals.

Trading into the first round for draft picks? i can't imagine the lakers really doing this unless it's to get a pick to trade for a more experienced player.

Metta & Pau screwed up their value with their Pre & Post season performances... they're still great players... they just need to get back in shape.

I honestly don't think they should do much... a MWP trade might be a bad idea unless you can get that same defensive production with better shooter at a younger age.

A pau gasol trade might not make much sense either as he is still top 5 at the 4.

Bynum is a loose cannon but you dont want him on the opposing team when he's focused. We need to work with him and make him a leader... we forget how young these guys are coming in... regardless of many years they've been in the league.

the problems came from the bench

Troy Murphy
Steve Blake
Darius Morris
Matt Barnes
Josh McRoberts

either inconsistent or no-shows... and way too overpriced to be there playing like that. We need to move these guys or get them off the books to fill the roster with better players

Beasley off the bench would provide the lakers with a competent scorer
Barnes can still play... he just needs to be come consistent.
Unless we trade... we're stuck with steve blake so he needs to produce better

the rest need to get lost

SamuraiX-

The Wiz have locked in on Beal since like forever. What's the point of even starting that rumor? They acquire Nene and now have Okafor, they're definitely not drafting a big, especially when they so desperately need helping on the wings more than anything else.

Also, Givony has a point. How often is player red-flagged in the draft, moves down the draft ladder, and then doesn't have a successful or at least semi-successful career in the NBA?

Attitude problems is a whole different story, but teams not drafting talented, motivated, high-character guys because of injury flags are idiots.

SamuraiX-

Brandon Roy dropped

Tj Ford

I'm sure others could name more.

Knowing everything we know now, would you have still drafted guys like Ammo, Tyrus Thomas, Shelden Williams, and ***** **** ahead of Brandon Roy in 2006?

Roy has had a more successful career that all of those guys combined, degenerative knee condition and all included.

Emwitus

if the mavs don't get dwill I wouldn't mind seeing a rebuild. that or sign a lot of players to one year deals and see what happens in 2013. From there, the mavs need to try to get cp3/Howard if either are available or id just like to see the mavs start completely over if they can't get one of those guys

That's why i like the lakers sometimes, they might be in cap room trouble right now but atleast they got to the finals 3 times and came out with two trophies to show. And earlier with during the shaq/kobe era went to four finals appearances and came out with three. Same goes for the big three era in boston.Cuban messed with Dirk's legacy in my opinion.

Talon

Don Nelson is hilarious
Nelson does have one other theory, however, hatched during his time working with the Lithuanian national team. "When the breakup of the Soviet Union happened, we told Arvydas that if he cared anything about the future of basketball in his country, he would go back and fuck every chick he could possibly find. And he better not use the blanks — he better use the 7-foot-4 cartridges. Then in 2010, Lithuania would have all this talent. Obviously, he didn't listen, because I don't see any 7-foot-4 kids out there."

GD it, I was late.

SamuraiX-

DA's mock is up: http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/david_aldridge/06/27/mock-draft-2012/index.html

Cleveland Cavaliers | Harrison Barnes | SF | North Carolina
They need a small forward. He's got the same agent as Kyrie Irving, and they're good friends. He's going to be a better pro than he was in college, he will shoot it very well and defend very well. He's going to be an impact player. Don't overthink it.
Sacramento Kings | Michael Kidd-Gilchrist | SF | Kentucky
The Kings have plenty of guys who can shoot and score. They need some guys who can actually stop the other team on occasion. Enter MKG, who probably needs a small market to develop and grow. Major trade possibility here.

Exquisite justification. Don't fuck this up, Cavs!

He also has Houston taking Drummond @ #14, Lamb @ #16, and Harkless @ #18. Now that would be an interesting cohort to keep an eye on in the coming years.

I'm fine with T-Rob, Barnes, or MKG and one of those 3 WILL be there at 4, so fuck the Wizards. Shouldn't let them scare us out of a couple of extra picks.

I totally agree, we should ignore it. We could really use those extra picks because it would allow us to cut the bums otherwise known as Higgins and Moon. Get them out of Charlotte.

Agreed. Wiz would be dumb to move back, they'll get either MKG or Beal and either one of those guys would help their squad a lot.

Wiz could actually be a playoff team next year. Not that that's saying much in the East, but still.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either.

The Wiz have locked in on Beal since like forever. What's the point of even starting that rumor? They acquire Nene and now have Okafor, they're definitely not drafting a big, especially when they so desperately need helping on the wings more than anything else.

You answered your own question, it's because they think the Cavs are going to take Beal if they trade up with us.

I dont understand Ray though. Re-sign for more bread and start on the Celtics or take less money and back-up on the Heat.

RingChaser: Ray Millz

I also kind of don't get the justification for Barnes being better in the NBA than college. He has a Gay/DeRozan like game where he's going to dribble in a straight line and take a midrange shot and I don't see how going against taller defenders will help him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom