• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonm1010

Banned
I'm pretty sure the Hornets are willing to go up to the max with Gordon now that they have Davis. You don't let potential all-stars walk when you have a chance at a title team in a few years.

We've went on record saying we will match any offer......so good luck with that rockets.

No way the hornets are dumb enough to let him walk knowing there is no way we can ever land someone of that caliber short of tanking and praying. Not to mention our fan base(small as it is) would eviscerate our ownership for letting walk the main piece in the CP3 trade. We would of essentially traded CP3 for aminu and number 10. Horrendous value. Demps should be fired and Benson put in retirement if they let that happen.

pilonv1

Larry Coon ‏@LarryCoon
Just what everyone else is hearing. RT @c_ogle: have you heard anything about the Lakers/Wizards rumor? Ron/Pau for #3/Ariza/Blatche

RZA back in LA and Kobe dealing with Blatche would be priceless. DO IT MITCH

SamuraiX-

Givony: Sacramento Kings Eyeing Damian Lillard At No. 5?

Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress.com reports on Twitter that the Sacramento Kings are considering Weber State point guard Damian Lillard with the No. 5 pick in Thursday's 2012 NBA Draft. Lillard has been linked to the Portland Trail Blazers at No. 6 in many mock drafts.
--------------------------------
If Kings fans didn't need another reason not to jump off a cliff, there's lots of chatter Sac is considering passing on Barnes for Lillard.

Not that I don't like Lillard, I just don't understand strategy of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Drafted guard top-10 last year.

Fucking kill me.

Jonm1010

Banned
^ Man shit is starting to get interesting.......another rumor I'm not sure was posted:

From SI and the local Milwaukee paper:

Henson, a shot-blocking and rebounding wiz who needs to add a lot of weight, is projected by many (although not SI.com’s Sam Amick) to be headed to the Detroit Pistons at No. 9, which means the Bucks would have to jump at least four spots.

Woelfel suggested that a package of forward Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and the 12th pick might entice the Golden State Warriors to hand over the seventh overall selection and allow the Bucks to grab their man.

There's also another rumor that they have been talking to us about swapping the 12th and 10th picks, assuming they are also throwing something else in.

@MySportsLegion: Bucks are in extended talks with the Hornets discussing a trade for the 10th overall pick. Bucks targeting UNC center John Henson #NBADraft

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/i1ss7r

SamuraiX-

Woelfel suggested that a package of forward Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and the 12th pick might entice the Golden State Warriors to hand over the seventh overall selection and allow the Bucks to grab their man.

roflmfao

pilonv1

LOL GTFO. Logo would never go for that.

I suggested #7+Wright for #12+Udoh.

Wizards now trying to fuck with the Cavs

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ing-attention/2012/06/27/gJQAtInq5V_blog.html

Other NBA teams have apparently taken those comments as a dare. As Thursday’s draft draws near, the Wizards are discovering that No. 3 is in demand. According to two league sources, the Wizards have been fielding calls in recent days from teams interested in moving up to possibly select Kansas big man and District native Thomas Robinson.

The Charlotte Bobcats hold the second pick in the draft and are reportedly interested in taking Robinson but they also need to acquire more assets after finishing 7-59 last season. Cleveland has been mentioned as a possible trade partner for the Bobcats, since it holds picks No. 4 and No. 24.

The Cavaliers have interest in Bradley Beal and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and could risk losing out on the player they covet most by standing pat — which adds to the intrigue leading up to the draft.

This draft is awesome and it's still 3 days away

Ford has the Warriors taking Drummond 7th.

I'm not a fan of either him or the team, but that's a pretty nice fit for Drummond since he could learn from Bogut and Lee about a lot and basically have no attention paid to him.

pilonv1

Ford has the Warriors taking Drummond 7th.

I'm not a fan of either him or the team, but that's a pretty nice fit for Drummond since he could learn from Bogut and Lee about a lot and basically have no attention paid to him.

Seems the consensus now is to build assets since they know the team lacks overall talent and depth. So the pick will be best player available, so either Lillard, Barnes or Drummond. I think that's the best option rather than playing safe with someone like Zeller.

SamuraiX-

jayvee engracio ‏@jaynma23
@mr_jasonjones been hearing that mkg and barnes dont want to be in sac any reason why?
Jason Jones ‏@mr_jasonjones
@jaynma23 I can only go by what was said to me. MGK said he'd be fine in Sac, knows Evans well.

Don't care how much bs there may be to that, I'm eating it all up.

omnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

thekad

Banned
Rumor mill out of control in Houston....

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...to-land-franchise-star-such-as-dwight-howard/

"With Howard, if the Rockets can keep much of their cap space available, they could seek another top player in free agency to join him and potentially convince him to sign long-term. Though speculation on Tuesday centered on Deron Williams, with Howard believed to want to join Williams in Brooklyn, the Rockets are more likely to try to land Hornets guard Eric Gordon, a restricted free agent with an offer the Hornets would not match according to an individual with knowledge of their thinking."

everyone.gif

The Bobcats just paid 14 million dollars for a mid first round pick. Their front office is fucking insane. They should have just held onto Maggette and they would have had a nice expiring contract. Instead, they're going to be overpaying Ben Gordon for two years. What. the. fuck.

pilonv1

The Bobcats just paid 14 million dollars for a mid first round pick. Their front office is fucking insane. They should have just held onto Maggette and they would have had a nice expiring contract. Instead, they're going to be overpaying Ben Gordon for two years. What. the. fuck.

They have to pay enough to hit the salary floor which is around $48-50million. What free agent is going to sign there? If they weren't overpaying Gordon it would be some other fool.

Maggette doesn't fit anyway.

thekad

Banned

According to source, the pick is lottery protected next year, top 8 in 2014, No. 1 protected in 2015 and unprotected in 2016

Pistons aren't making the playoffs next year so a lottery pick in 2014 for Not Corey Maggette is pretty good.

any jordan gif ever

giri

actually, it was a pretty good move for the cats.

RBH

Let me make this real simple for you: The Bobcats just purchased a first-round draft pick with money they had to spend anyway.

The headlines will say that Ben Gordon was traded for Corey Maggette, but pay no mind; they're just contracts in this deal. They're not bad players necessarily, but they're roughly equivalent talents with oversized contracts on teams going nowhere.

The real action is comes through the draft pick and the money changing hands. Charlotte now has a potential lottery pick in 2014 or 2015, and the cost is the difference in salary (about $14 million). Normally that would be an excessive price to pay, but these aren't normal times. The Bobcats may not hit the league's salary floor in 2013-14, let alone the cap, so the $13.2 million that Gordon adds to their payroll in that season doesn't stand to hurt them much since they needed to add a bunch of salary anyway. In that sense, they really paid far less than $14 million for the draft pick.

From Detroit's perspective, this deal was a no-brainer. The Pistons dump $13.2 million from their 2013-14 payroll, since Maggette's contract expires in 2012-13, retain their amnesty clause to use on Charlie Villanueva (instead of maybe Gordon), and now stand to be as much as $20 million under the cap that summer, depending on what moves they make between now and then.

thekad

Banned
Cap space for Deron? Kobe by himself takes up half the Lakers cap space. Add Bynum and there's no more room for a max contract.

The only way the Lakers get Deron is if Billy King is dumb enough to trade him for Pau. Which is possible, unfortunately.

ah man, I'm gonna miss out on all of the draft this thursday. Seems like it's going to be one of the better ones to watch in a while.

Bulls-Bobcats trade was good for both teams.

Lakers getting Robinson would be interesting as fuck.

Cap space for Deron? Kobe by himself takes up half the Lakers cap space. Add Bynum and there's no more room for a max contract.

The only way the Lakers get Deron is if Billy King is dumb enough to trade him for Pau. Which is possible, unfortunately.

i see we're on the same page and by page i mean the same kool-aid.
ps-give us kyle lowry please. thx

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Yeah, I don't see how the Thunder can be punished (although a second round pick is light punishment).

If the organization itself is not at fault, how far does their responsibility extend?

Doubt those doctors will be evaluating any more players for the Thunder.

I think employing the doctors makes them liable..

linsivvi

Mo would help the Lakers a lot more than Sessions ever did.

Nothing can help the Lakers.

What are the chances of the Lakers starting the season with Bryant, Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol all in Lakers uniforms?

"Very good," says Buss.

So you don't agree with those who say the Lakers must turn Gasol into two or three players via a trade?

"No," he says. "I think changes are going to be made moving Pau lower to the basket. We can improve that way with a change in coaching strategy rather than a change in personnel."

No moves?

"We will try to sign Sessions when the rules allow beginning in July," he says. "And improve the bench."

No major free-agent signings, no blockbuster trades?

"No," he says.

Dark times are coming.

linsivvi

we'll see.
He was more than willing to give up pau to get cp3 or deron before the trade deadline.
Rope a dope answer.

Dwight for drew. Do it Jim. Search your heart. You know its true.

You are a dreamer, just like Jim.

"I expect Andrew to mature as a player and as a person this upcoming season," he says, and now add dreamer to the list of what everyone seems to think of Buss.

linsivvi

Did you seriously just quote TJ Simers, dude. Might as well roll with Platchke next.

Anyway, Buss's responses were pretty accurate and overall good, IMO.

I quoted Simers because he's the biggest suck up at LA Times and that's why Jim would let him do the interview. I can't find any other interview of him. All the responses came from the mouth of Jim so I don't see why that matters.

So you think Jim is right and Phil is wrong?

I quoted Simers because he's the biggest suck up at LA Times and that's why Jim would let him do the interview. I can't find any other interview of him.

So you think Jim is right and Phil is wrong?

Phil agrees with Jim on Bynum. So how can one be right and the other wrong?

Buss was interviewed on radio that I recall. I heard it.

There is nothing in that interview that would cause alarm for me. Not even that answer. What do you want buss to say? He's asked about him being a brat or however Simers worded it (he doesn't tell us at all what the actual question was) and Buss can't say anything negative about his own player. No GM/Pres/Owner can. Come on.

edit: The media and fan witchhunt with Buss if fucking absurd. And I'm sick of it. Magic whining about blowing it up, included. As if there's some magic "blow it up" button that also makes the Lakers instant contenders.

Ship Pau out! Okay. Name me a single trade that we know was offered that we know we'd approve of that Buss didn't want? Oh, there was one...for Chris Paul...

linsivvi

Phil agrees with Jim on Bynum. So how can one be right and the other wrong?

Buss was interviewed on radio that I recall. I heard it.

There is nothing in that interview that would cause alarm for me. Not even that answer. What do you want buss to say? He's asked about him being a brat or however Simers worded it (he doesn't tell us at all what the actual question was) and Buss can't say anything negative about his own player. No GM/Pres/Owner can. Come on.

edit: The media and fan witchhunt with Buss if fucking absurd. And I'm sick of it. Magic whining about blowing it up, included. As if there's some magic "blow it up" button that also makes the Lakers instant contenders.

Ship Pau out! Okay. Name me a single trade that we know was offered that we know we'd approve of that Buss didn't want? Oh, there was one...for Chris Paul...

Wow I didn't know you were a closet Jim Buss fan. Who would have thought?

Phil Jackson said:
"Jim saw Andrew as a kid and thought Bynum was going to be a great pick for our team. But in the process he's wanted to have Andrew to have a bigger and bigger role, and I think he's hired his coach to have Andrew have a bigger and bigger role. And that kind of disjointed the symmetry of what the Lakers were really about.

"Andrew is an All-Star Center, he did a wonderful job. But what happened was it took Pau out of his game and it took the team away from some of their game. They changed the style dramatically."

Jim Buss said:
"Phil Jackson is the best coach the NBA has ever had," says Buss. "He did things his way and they worked beautifully for him. But we had to start over when Phil stepped down with a new coach and so things were going to be different.

That sounds like agreeing to you? It certainly doesn't to me.

Wow I didn't know you were a closet Jim Buss fan. Who've have thought?

That sounds like agreeing to you? It certainly doesn't to me.

Uh, that is not dealing with Bynum's immaturity, which is the topic. Or Bynum at all.

""I've bought into Phil's philosophy that he's growing up and he'll be fine," says Buss, but when will Bynum no longer be considered a kid?"

Phil had some interviews recently where he was asked about Bynum and his maturity and that's what he said about it. That's it's much ado about nothing and he'll be fine.

That is to what I am referring given as it's the nature of the context you defined.

If you want to talk about strategy, that's fine. But here is what Jim says about that:

"So you don't agree with those who say the Lakers must turn Gasol into two or three players via a trade?

"No," he says. "I think changes are going to be made moving Pau lower to the basket. We can improve that way with a change in coaching strategy rather than a change in personnel."

They had like 5 days of training camp, 3 of which surrounded by the Chris Paul fiasco and Odom trade. They then had the most hectic starting schedule of ANY NBA team and had no practice time until like February of 2012, and that was hardly any. And all this with a new coach with a vastly different offense.

Is Phil right about what happened to Pau? Yes, I agree., to an extent. Of course, this was supposed to be the transition all long, seeing as Pau and Kobe are aging. But without camp, practice, and new coaching, it was very difficult to do that.

I am not a Jim Buss fan. I am not fans of owners and managers, for the most part. What I do think, however, is that the Lakers did about as much as they could this past season that was possible in trying to win a title. And I think putting blame on Buss or anyone is really stupid. The only move, in hindsight (and at the time), that I didn't like was not hiring Shaw. But I also understood the move to go with Brown. They tried to trade for CP3. They had a deal for Beasley. They went after Deron (and you know Dwight). They dumped Fisher and kapono for Hill and Sessions. They did about as much as you could expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom