• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

The Smart GM of the year gives one of the worst defending centers in the NBA $44 million because of three playoff games, makes sense.

I think it's premature to do that. But if the guy keeps it up then it is indeed a great move. If you aren't LA or a super team you have to take calculated risks. Even if you are a smart GM

Puddles

Banned

You weren't kidding.

Six titles for Kobe. As many as Jordan. More fodder for the ridiculous "Who was better, Kobe or Jordan?" argument that LeBron already squashed this spring by dominating at a level that Kobe never reached.

Fuck that idiot. What a blind hater.

Edit: I didn't even get to his footnote.

Kobe is competing against the legacies of West and Oscar, and maybe even Magic. LeBron's ceiling is higher. But a sixth Kobe title and a productive 20-year career (he's four years away) would vault him over Magic and earn him "Greatest Laker ever" status. That's not chopped liver.

LeBron is not competing with Michael Jordan after one fucking title, you dipshit Bostonian hack.

KingJ2002

we saw how efficiently those handshake deals are... dwight just need to move on from orlando... the damage he did to is rep can be repaired if a trade is done this off-season and he re-establishes hismself in another city... like lebron did.

especially if he wins a ring.

Puddles

Banned
you jealous?

Not at all. I support a team with a great history, and though Kobe's peak has come and gone, it provided us with basketball highlights that King Crab will almost certainly never match.

You have to be a hater of the highest degree to discount a player ceiling that includes an 81 point game, a month of scoring 40, and four 50 point games in a row.

Omega

Banned
I think it's retarded as fuck to imply that LeBron is somehow better than Kobe now off of one playoff run when the dude has been criticized and laughed at for the last 8 years..

But LeBron did just have one of the most ridiculous postseasons ever. Wade was playing like shit, Bosh missed half the playoffs. His only consistent help was Battier..

He had one bad game I think and that was the "gud jab, gud affert" game.

The Smart GM of the year gives one of the worst defending centers in the NBA $44 million because of three playoff games, makes sense.

Man, you really say the most hyperbolic shit on here.

Dude was tied for the top BPG this postseason and second in the regular season. He also was a top ten rebounder in the post season. Denver was a top 5 defense in the Postseason.

I'm not calling him the best but the shit you say is...........is...just stupid

squicken

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....return/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

All Hail the Wizard

Someone asked me two weeks ago why it was that everyone thought Daryl Morey was so good at his job. His team hasn’t made the playoffs in several years, they haven’t been a title contender since injuries wrecked the team in 2009. And all their players are so “eh.” Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, Kyle Lowry, Patrick Patterson, Chase Budinger, Chandler Parsons, on and on and on.

Here was what I said, and it remains true.

“He manages to come out ahead on nearly every deal he executes. He drafts smart for his position, he just hasn’t landed one of those shocker ‘way better than expected’ guys because they’re really difficult to lock down. He takes advantage of teams desperate for position, like the Knicks clearing cap space for the 2010 summer. And when the players he brings in play to the very extent of their ceiling, in large part because of the position that his team has put them in, like with Carl Landry, he tends to bid them a fond farewell instead of desperately trying to hang onto players who are replaceable. That doesn’t happen a lot in this league.”

And then I told that person, “He’s made his share of mistakes, but more than anything, it seems like all these other moves he understand aren’t what building a team is about.”

The biggest critics of Morey tend to emanate from the West Coast, usually Lakers fans or media, based off the insulting notion that Shane Battier was a good defender of Kobe Bryant, despite the fact that both Battier and the story that detailed his success repeatedly noted that Bryant lights him up anyway, because he’s Kobe Bryant. But one dares not approach the throne, apparently, and there’s been a significant bitterness towards Morey and the whiz kid label. A common question asked is “How can he be so good if he’s never landed a star?” And the truth is that Los Angeles is magnetic for NBA players. Warm weather, lavish parties, fun things to do, high profile fame, a rabid fanbase, a historically awesome and relevant team, Jack at courtside, and an owner willing to spend to win. Trying to convince a player to play for the Lakers is not difficult.

You weren't kidding.

Fuck that idiot. What a blind hater.

Edit: I didn't even get to his footnote.

LeBron is not competing with Michael Jordan after one fucking title, you dipshit Bostonian hack.

Old schtick is old.

He even brought out the "bu-bu-but the 40's and 50's titles don't count" bullshit. And implied that OKC's/Seattle's ring doesn't cout either. Salty already, and I met my quota of dumb for this month by reading that.

RBH

It's offensive.

In a lockout year where everyone and their mothers was injured as well.

He also had an insane finals run against a full healthy OKC team. Thats beside the point though. You act like Lebron going off in the playoffs is new or something. Dude has had some absolutely insane runs.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
He also had an insane finals run against a full healthy OKC team. Thats beside the point though. You act like Lebron going off in the playoffs is new or something. Dude has had some absolutely insane runs.

You want an avatar with a non shitty aspect ratio?

No. This was the first time he played great when it actually mattered. This was his first year of playoff domination. It was his 9th year in the league. It was way past time.

squicken

"Grunwald? In the middle of Linsanity, he was stopped by a reporter in a Garden hallway and asked for his first public assessment of the point guard. Grunwald talked of Lin being "a great kid and a great story," talked of his hope that Lin could "keep it going" before Dolan appeared out of the blue and halted the interview.

"This is unauthorized anyway," the owner said. Dolan was smiling, but he wasn't joking, as he pulled a shrinking Grunwald away.

So now you know why the Knicks never bothered calling Phil Jackson, a figure too strong for such bunk."

Dolan's getting killed nationally, but it's kind of strange that Knicks fans seem to agree with his moves

No. This was the first time he played great when it actually mattered. This was his first year of playoff domination. It was his 9th year in the league. It was way past time.

Yeah that 39 ppg, 8 apg, 8 rpg , at 49% was so subpar in 09. And now you gone tell me about that scrubby ass HoF 60+ supporting cast he had right? Please, you can only carry dead-weight so far.

Saw Batman at midnight. After sleeping on it, all I can think of is "meh". It's the worst of the three. I'm not saying its a bad movie or even as bad as any other third comic book films, but it was kind of a letdown. Maybe because I had just watched the Dark Knight a few hours earlier but nothing gave me that feeling of being blown away like TDK did. If I went into it anymore I'd get into spoiler territory so ill leave it there. Also, I'm kind of suprised at the lowballing of the midnight numbers. It was easily the most packed I've seen my theater for midnight.

Exactly what I posted in the official thread.

Oh there's no doubt he's a great player but he could at least win a chip in a full 82 game season before we start discussing Jordan comparisons...goddam.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Oh there's no doubt he's a great player but he could at least win a chip in a full 82 game season before we start discussing Jordan comparisons...goddam.

I can't believe people are actually discounting LBJ's title because it was as shortened season. I'm certain these same people would discount KD's title had he won it.

KingKong

I guess at this point it's impossible for Simmons to write articles without terrible gimmicks like "I just watched that show everyone was talking about, how can I tie that into an NBA article?"

I can't believe people are actually discounting LBJ's title because it was as shortened season. I'm certain these same people would discount KD's title had he won it.

I'm not discounting anything. But if you're going to compare him to all time greats then it is a fact that has substance.

commish

I'm not discounting anything. But if you're going to compare him to all time greats then it is a fact that has substance.

It has 0 substance. It doesn't even make sense. What is supposed to happen in those games that weren't played? What am I not understanding?

Yeah that 39 ppg, 8 apg, 8 rpg , at 49% was so subpar in 09. And now you gone tell me about that scrubby ass HoF 60+ supporting cast he had right? Please, you can only carry dead-weight so far.

How did he do when it mattered most? Same in 2010 and 2011. This is the first time that he showed up when it mattered most.

Dude has been grinding his whole career at a FB HOF pace. A ring is literally the only thing he didn't have.

Yeah but Dwight, Shump, B-Diddy, Rose...it can be argued that the lockout season aided in injuries to players that made the Heats path considerably easier than it would have been.

Props to LeBron for being an ironman and surviving where others failed, but this chip doesn't have the impact that a full 82 game season ring would.

It's not really going to matter in any discussions that aren't comparisons to Jordan/Kobe, but it exists.

Is it that hard for you to understand the difference between a full season and a lockout season in terms of impacts on teams and their preparation?

Damages to training camp and pre-season preparation, no summer league for rooks, injuries abound, lets not front like this was a typical season.

These things have substance no matter how much you want to act like it doesn't.

How did he do when it mattered most? Same in 2010 and 2011. This is the first time that he showed up when it mattered most.

Man GTFO here with that shit. Read this carefully.

http://www.hoopstradamus.com/2012/0...f-lebron-james-no-narratives-just-basketball/

To say that Lebron hasn't shown up in the playoffs is nothing more than the bullshit narrative that you seem to subscribe to jubilantly. Not to say that he hasn't choked before(like every player hasn't did it or something) but to cherry pick those and act like the shine hasn't happened before is biased bullshit.

Like do you want to see what your boy Kobe's stats look like in pressure situations or ???

Man GTFO here with that shit. Read this carefully.

http://www.hoopstradamus.com/2012/0...f-lebron-james-no-narratives-just-basketball/

To say that Lebron hasn't shown up in the playoffs is nothing more than the bullshit narrative that you seem to subscribe to jubilantly. Not to say that he hasn't choked before(like every player hasn't did it or something) but to cherry pick those and act like the shine hasn't happened before is biased bullshit.

Like do you want to see what your boy Kobe's stats look like in pressure situations or ???

The difference with Kobe is even when he wasn't shooting well, he was still mentally IN THE GAME. Think game 7 vs Boston. Stats don't tell the whole story. Just because LeBron had a triple double doesn't mean he was engaged. This was the first year that LeBron was engaged through the entire playoffs. That is the difference, and the point.

The first time EviLore banned Best-Gaf I thought it was a sick joke but I'm starting to understand why. Guys are getting real personal and visceral up in here lately. Lets cool it down.

SUPREME1

Banned
The truth is often times simple.

You spent a good amount of time making an ass of yourself yesterday... actually arguing that Dwight was trash and that you wouldn't want him on your team. That in itself is enough to prove that you are not a sensible man once you've decided to take a certain position. You even claimed he was skating by on his physical attributes, yet here you are a day later defending McGee... the epitome of getting by on physical attributes. I just find it extremely funny how you came to his defense like you're Capt. Save-A-Hoe.

commish

Is it that hard for you to understand the difference between a full season and a lockout season in terms of impacts on teams and their preparation?

Damages to training camp and pre-season preparation, no summer league for rooks, injuries abound, lets not front like this was a typical season.

These things have substance no matter how much you want to act like it doesn't.

Yeah, it is hard for me to understand.

For one, what hurdles did other teams face that the Heat did not that gave the Heat such an edge? The only injury that really made an impact this playoff season was the Rose injury and, I guess, the Bosh injury. I'd still have put money on the Heat beating the Bulls, and the Thunder were at full strength when they got worked over by LBJ. I believe Dwight just quit.

The difference with Kobe is even when he wasn't shooting well, he was still mentally IN THE GAME. Think game 7 vs Boston. Stats don't tell the whole story. Just because LeBron had a triple double doesn't mean he was engaged. This was the first year that LeBron was engaged through the entire playoffs. That is the difference, and the point.

Yeah because in 06, in a series up 3-1 Kobe didn't quit on his team to prove some sort of bitchmade ass point by scoring one fucking point in a half during a blow out loss. He was engaged the whole time playing hot potato with the ball.

No really wtf is your point again?

Emwitus

1314959189_george_clooney__soon.gif

Yeah because in 06, in a series up 3-1 Kobe didn't quit on his team to prove some sort of bitchmade ass point by scoring one fucking point in a half during a blow out loss. He was engaged the whole time playing hot potato with the ball.

No really wtf is your point again?

And Kobe was called out for it and will be until Kingdom Come. Just as LeBron shouldn't be let off the hook for CONTINUALLY not showing up. But as others have said, you defend McGee but say Dwight Howard isn't as good as DWade/Bosh. So yea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom