• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekad

Banned
So either Morey backed out after Dwight and his agent confirmed his preferred destination or Orlando thought they could get cute and up the ante even more, since it seems clear they waited this long in an attempt to get a Melo type deal for Dwight.

Uh, no. Dwight wanted to go to the Lakers and the Magic accommodated him. They got taken advantage of by the other three teams. The end.

Meier

I just don't understand why we even gave a fuck what Dwight wanted. This isn't soccer where the player has a say in moving if he has a contract. Why in the world did Hennigan not get the best possible value? It's absolute madness.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Uh, no. Dwight wanted to go to the Lakers and the Magic accommodated him. They got taken advantage of by the other three teams. The end.

Hennigan could have easily said fuck you and trade him elsewhere. No one else was willing to take the chance.

edit:With that said all this rage is because the Lakers got him and everyone is looking at the fact the Lakers got the best player. And apparently every team involved are fools for not worrying about the other teams getting better.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
What is that ring Coach K keeps wearing? Is it a college ball thing or something he got out of a cave made of gold deep in Baghdad?

The world isn't ready for that.
84018.jpg

I just don't understand why we even gave a fuck what Dwight wanted. This isn't soccer where the player has a say in moving if he has a contract. Why in the world did Hennigan not get the best possible value? It's absolute madness.

He did. News flash: when a player only has one year remaining and is using his impending free agency as leverage to control where he goes, he doesn't have much value. Hence why only 2 or 3 teams were ever really in on him. If all things were equal every team in the league would gut their roster to get him, but they didn't, only 2 or 3 teams made serious offers. What does that tell you? Do you expect these teams to bid against themselves? Why would any team need to offer the world if they knew Orlando was fucked and backed into a corner?

Nelo Ice

Banned
He did. News flash: when a player only has one year remaining and is using his impending free agency as leverage to control where he goes, he doesn't have much value. Hence why only 2 or 3 teams were ever really in on him. If all things were equal every team in the league would gut their roster to get him, but they didn't, only 2 or 3 teams made serious offers. What does that tell you? Do you expect these teams to bid against themselves? Why would any team need to offer the world if they knew Orlando was fucked and backed into a corner?

Yep, if Orlando wanted to get the best possible offer they should have traded Dwight asap. Waiting it out played right into our hands.

Backup to Kobe set

So what was that about our bench problem? I ain't even mad.

As a backup to Kobe? There are much worse options. Always been a good 3 point shooter. He's 6'4 which is taller than every guard besides Kobe on the team.

Above average win shares last 3 seasons!

Overrated shooter. Shit defender. Isn't 6'4.

Only got as much clock as he did because we didn't know what shooting meant so he looked like a god for a bit and Doug wanted to ruin Turner.

Glock is better than Meeks.

Not that it fucking matters tho...lol.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
JoshuaBRobbins
The #Magic received a $17.8 million traded player exception in the deal, Hennigan said. Magic will have 1 year to use it.

All right! Best thing we got out of this Dwight trade was a massive fuckton TPE. Hell yeah!

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
lol...Meeks is ass.

The modern Lakers FO are an interesting case they are great at getting talent in trades and iffy at BEST evaluating talent on FA. I think it verifies how much more important it is to trade well than it is to FA well..... Unless you know you can pull something like Miami did which so far only happened once.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Nash/Blake
Kobe/Meeks
Metta/Ebanks
Pau/Jamison
Howard/Hill

I can dig it.

Works for me. I'm guessing Meeks was finally convinced to sign for less since he could inflate his stats on our stacked team then get a pay day next year or the year after.

The modern Lakers FO are an interesting case they are great at getting talent in trades and iffy at BEST evaluating talent on FA. I think it verifies how much more important it is to trade well than it is to FA well..... Unless you know you can pull something like Miami did which so far only happened once.

While it is true Mitch's FA signings have been spotty, most of the time there isn't much he can do since he generally has to fight for scraps in FA. Gotta take the best available and right now role players are coming super cheap since the market is dried up.

Cipherr

Bron Bron doing it big. Goddamn the commentators on the BBC stream are salty as fucking hell. He just called the Tina Defense "The red sea parting for Moses" on that Lebron drive lol.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
JoshuaBRobbins
The #Magic received a $17.8 million traded player exception in the deal, Hennigan said. Magic will have 1 year to use it.

All right! Best thing we got out of this Dwight trade was a massive fuckton TPE. Hell yeah!
That should get you a slightly used Tyrus

Vire

Lebron continues to show he is the best player in the world...

Doug Collins is too funny. You can taste the jealously through the TV.

Overrated shooter. Shit defender. Isn't 6'4.

Only got as much clock as he did because we didn't know what shooting meant so he looked like a god for a bit and Doug wanted to ruin Turner.

Glock is better than Meeks.

Not that it fucking matters tho...lol.

I really doubt he's worse than Glock. fair enough on not really 6'4. Meeks also can slash, no? Low turnover rate, too.

I think he played too many minutes the last 2 years for the quality he is. At 15 minutes a game, I think he'd be better. I'm fine with this move. Not like it cost LAL anything.

Nash - Blake/Duhon - Morris
Kobe - Meeks
MWP - Ebanks
Pau - Jamison - CLark
Dwight - Pau - Hill

I like that rotation, especially since in times that matter Pau or Dwight will always be in the game. Wonder if Lakers just keep DJO now. Or Glock. Neither are guaranteed to be on the team, money wise.

While it is true Mitch's FA signings have been spotty, most of the time there isn't much he can do since he generally has to fight for scraps in FA. Gotta take the best available and right now role players are coming super cheap since the market is dried up.

I still think the McBobs signing was very good but his injuries to start the season killed him in a lockout year. I bet he will look much better in Orlando.

Unfortunately, this is true. I have a feeling they pick up random FAs and then go "I wonder what I can get for this guy?"

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I really doubt he's worse than Glock. fair enough on not really 6'4. Meeks also can slash, no? Low turnover rate, too.

I think he played too many minutes the last 2 years for the quality he is. At 15 minutes a game, I think he'd be better.
You've obviously never watched more than 3 games of Meeks lol

but it doesn't matter you can sign joe forte at this point yolo

squicken

Orlando general manager Rob Hennigan, after all, once worked in the Spurs’ front office as the next Sam Presti.

The four-team trade that sent Dwight Howard to Los Angeles is stunning. It helps everyone but the team that had the leverage, the Magic. Orlando gets role players in return without doing much to cleanse its payroll. No one is sure how high the Magic protected first-round draft picks will be, but there’s a chance not one of them will be a top-20 pick or will arrive until 2014.

Orlando would have done better calling Houston again, or by doing nothing. So what happened?

An explanation is this: Hennigan followed Presti yet again. Hennigan doesn’t want the Magic to be good. He wants to build from the ground up as Presti did with Seattle/Oklahoma City.

Hennigan saw firsthand. He left San Antonio to join Presti.

It’s one of many reasons the two have always been compared to each other. Hennigan graduated from Emerson College in Boston as Presti did. Hennigan began with the Spurs as Presti did. And Hennigan was hired by Orlando at age 30, the youngest GM in the league now, just as Presti was when Seattle hired him.

But here’s the difference: When Presti rebuilt his franchise, he never had the league’s best center as a chip.

Presti made changes, but he already had his asset in place. Kevin Durant had landed in his lap. As Presti went along, he used his high-draft picks well, hitting on both Russell Westbrook and James Harden. That’s the Presti the Spurs knew in San Antonio; they gave him credit years ago for zeroing in on Tony Parker.

Hennigan didn’t have the same stature in San Antonio. When he left to join Presti, the Spurs thought he probably needed to get out and try something else.

Telling, too, is that Hennigan wasn’t Presti’s No. 1 assistant in OKC. That is Troy Weaver. Presti has given Weaver credit for seeing more in Westbrook than others did, much the way Presti got credit for Parker.

Orlando considered Weaver, too. But he wasn’t a finalist for the job. Hennigan, ultimately, interviewed better with the Magic.

Maybe the Orlando president, Alex Martins, wanted someone such as Hennigan because Hennigan would be, in effect, his assistant. Maybe Martins, a man without a basketball background, influenced this trade.

If true, that’s another reason Hennigan isn’t another Presti. Presti runs his shop.

Either way, the deal that was finalized today will impact Hennigan’s standing. It will hang on him unless the Magic find a way to recover. Memphis did after trading Gasol.

Still, for Popovich and the Spurs, Orlando’s future is relevant. This trade changes the Western Conference. Presti’s Thunder will be better next season and shouldn’t be discounted. But now there are the Lakers, rejuvenated as if on cue in an Olympic year, someone holding onto Gasol while creating a Kobe-Nash-Howard combination.

What the Spurs thought before and likely do again: Hennigan isn't
Presti

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/buckharvey/2012/08/howard-to-lakers-–-blame-it-on-the-next-presti/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom