• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that's true. This isn't some decade long assembly of talent like OKC - this Laker team, as is, has a two year window or so. By that time, Denver, and a lot of other teams will be on the up and up.

Except the Clippers, Miami, and New York. Those teams are fucked.
Thats assuming they don't reload

Maybe the Orlando owner is being blackmaled? Because I'm not understanding why this trade went down? If I was a fan I would be mad. You trade your best asset and get nothing back. Dolan jumped in and overpaid, but he got Carmelo back. The Magic give up a player who is probably the most valuable player in the league in regards to trade value and get back literally nothing. If it was me I would be rallying for fans to burn down the stadium. Or I would seriously be considering becoming a heat fan right now.

There is conspiracy. This is what happens when your front office and ownership are incompetent. Knick fans know all about the life. This is the same team that continially employed Otis bad deal after bad deal. Is it really surprising they got swindled? This was a panic move because the Magic didn't trade Dwight sooner.

charsace

I will say one thing about the Magic as a fan, I'm glad they actually have the balls to have a press conference explaining why they did what they did.

If this was the Knicks they wouldn't say a damn word. Like how Lin went from the starting PG to being shipped out of town because the owner couldn't take being played.

That said I don't think I can stomach watching that press conference in 10 minutes.

You must not pay attention to the Knicks since they have press conferences all the time where they explain what is going on with the team. And when a trade is made there is always a press conference. Lin was a free agent and it was explained why he wasn't resigned. I think Grunwald already explained it(in a bs way of course). We didn't trade Lin for long contract(s) and protected second round picks.

There is conspiracy. This is what happens when your front office and ownership are incompetent. Knick fans know all about the life. This is the same team that continially employed Otis bad deal after bad deal. Is it really surprising they got swindled? This was a panic move because the Magic didn't trade Dwight sooner.

Isiah was trading picks for guys that had the potential to be good players. Isiah would never trade one of the best players in the league for the package Orlando got. He would have found some way to get Dwight to stay, even if it meant doing something underhanded.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
You must not pay attention to the Knicks since they have press conferences all the time where they explain what is going on with the team. And when a trade is made there is always a press conference. Lin was a free agent and it was explained why he wasn't resigned. I think Grunwald already explained it(in a bs way of course). We didn't trade Lin for long contract(s) and protected second round picks.

Yeah man this deal reminds me of the Ewing trade.....but much worse, cause the knicks didn't trade their HOF big man until he was about to retire....

So to put this in perspective Knicks and Bobcats fans look at this deal and feels more pity than empathy. However. I know this. This deal is going to hurt Orlando for a while.

Agreed Dy, Denver fans should be ecstatic about this trade. Harrington was expendable, they had too much depth at PF. And Iggy for Afflalo? Yes please! I'd take that deal everyday until the end of time.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Agreed Dy, Denver fans should be ecstatic about this trade. Harrington was expendable, they had too much depth at PF. And Iggy for Afflalo? Yes please! I'd take that deal everyday until the end of time.

I dont think anyone actually thinks Denver didnt make out like bandits in this

Isiah was trading picks for guys that had the potential to be good players. Isiah would never trade one of the best players in the league for the package Orlando got. He would have found some way to get Dwight to stay, even if it meant doing something underhanded.

If Otis Willams and the Magic were in NY instead of Orlando maybe they could have gotten Dwifht to stay too. Doesn't make either less incompetent. Don't act like Isiah was above all of this. His reign in NY was horrible.

linsivvi

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm
6vURM.png

Interesting only Nash is on the books in 2 seasons, at which point he'll probably retire.

So if they don't screw it up they can retool the team around Dwight in 14/15 through free agency.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Interesting only Nash is on the books in 2 seasons, at which point he'll probably retire.

So if they don't screw it up they can retool the team around Dwight in 14/15 through free agency.

Pretty much the plan all along. Dwight was going to be the final piece to Kobe/Nash/Pau championshp run for next 2 years then in 14/15 blow it up and build around our superstar in waiting.

Exactly. That is whats so genius about all of this. Kobe, Nash, Gasol, Meta, will be gone by that time. Time to retool around D12.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Laker Press conference is at 8 PM EST, 5 PM PST. Apparently Dwight will be there.

edit:
Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten
Lakers announce a 5 p.m. PT intro press conference for Dwight today with Howard and Mitch Kupchak.

Meier

I just can't believe how badly we got raped. You give up the best center of a generation and don't receive a single truly marquee guy in return. It's a really sad ending... it's tough to be a Magic fan.

thekad

Banned
Dwight/Love in 2015 is pretty much a formality at this point.

Sorry Rodeo and CoffeeJanitor, but I'm sure the Lakers appreciate you developing a superstar for them.

Zeus Molecules

Sorry brah 2015 FA belongs to the knicks.... I like to call it the summer of Love.

tralfazz

I just can't believe how badly we got raped. It's a really sad ending... it's tough to be a Magic fan.

I'm seriously considering giving it all up.

I'm guessing Staples will be stocked with Amway products for the next 10 years as part of this deal...

Nelo Ice

Banned
And Hennigan officially confirms the Houston rumor wasn't what we thought.
Hennigan on Houston:"At the end of the day, you look at what's available in theory and what's available in reality and they're not the same"

charsace

If Otis Willams and the Magic were in NY instead of Orlando maybe they could have gotten Dwifht to stay too. Doesn't make either less incompetent. Don't act like Isiah was above all of this. His reign in NY was horrible.

My post isn't about whether or not Isiah was horrible. Its about how Isiah operates. Isiah would not trade Dwight Howard for role players and second rounders. Isiah would want guys back that have all star potential. They could be criminals, assholes, lazy, or retarded, but as long as they have allstar potential he would be willing to take them. Isiah would have wanted picks that could possibly be lotto picks and Bynum for Howard. And if he couldn't get Bynum he would have wanted a trading partner like Detroit so that he could get a guy like Drummond and some of Detroit's crap young players that people think still have a little allstar potential in them like Day(who is garbage).

He would hang up the phone if a team offered him role players for Howard.

And this should shut people up that still believe the lock out happened to stop these super teams. ROFL.

Omega

Banned
watching this press conference, i feel sorry for Magic fans.

when asked how harrington and afflalo work out for their long term plan, he goes on about how they created cap space.

wasn't it hollinger that said they had 30mil and still are going to have 30 mil, meaning they did nothing?

Meier

I'm seriously considering giving it all up.

I'm guessing Staples will be stocked with Amway products for the next 10 years as part of this deal...

When I was a little kid and was watching every night and jumping and screaming on my couch as Scottie set the record or when I was shaking hands with Shaq as he towered over me and told me to not call him Mr. O'Neal, it was worth it. It probably isn't at this point.

I want Orlando City to become an MLS team so I can root for a team in the league.. but that's just one more team to make me sad. :(

Nelo Ice

Banned

when asked how harrington and afflalo work out for their long term plan, he goes on about how they created cap space.

wasn't it hollinger that said they had 30mil and still are going to have 30 mil, meaning they did nothing?

Harringtons only partially garaunteed. He can be bought out after the season.
edit:same with Hedo.

He's referring to Dolan, who hasn't taken questions from the media in 5 years.
Would've taken him to the finest strip clubs in Manhattan and given Dwight his own secretary to sexually harass.

Dwight/Love in 2015 is pretty much a formality at this point.

Sorry Rodeo and CoffeeJanitor, but I'm sure the Lakers appreciate you developing a superstar for them.
I've predicted this about 1000x, will not be surprised when it happens

Part of why I'm so salty about this deal. Love's perfect center to pair up with is a great helper like Dwight.

KingGondo

Banned
On the bright side, the Lakers just made it much more likely that OKC will go all-in and resign Harden and Ibaka, IMO.

No way that Bennett goes down like this after plotting and building through the draft for years. These guys have huge egos, and at a certain point money is a secondary concern.

charsace

And they get nothing of value back. No all star player in Bynum or Iggy, no good picks, no young players with potential. All they got was a load in the face and a middle finger afterwards. Worst trade in league history. The Lakers have out done themselves in fleecing teams.

tralfazz

When I was a little kid and was watching every night and jumping and screaming on my couch as Scottie set the record, it was worth it. It probably isn't at this point.

I want Orlando City to become an MLS team so I can root for a team in the league.. but that's just one more team to make me sad. :(

There with ya. I loved Michael Ansley as much as Nick Anderson. I went to the first preseason game against Detroit when we beat the defending champs. Had a Magic license plate. Realized a dream come true when I finally had a good paying enough job to get season tix and was treated to T-Mac's BS season as a thank you. I know this shit happens as part of sports and you have to get bad before you get better but usually you give your fanbase hope with all the rooks and draft picks you get back. You give your fan base hope. There is none here.

charsace

He's referring to Dolan, who hasn't taken questions from the media in 5 years.

Would've taken him to the finest strip clubs in Manhattan and given Dwight his own secretary to sexually harass.

Where he would have drugged up Dwight and then gotten pictures of Howard with a dick in his mouth. Isiah didn't give a fuck.

thekad

Banned
Steve Kyler @stevekylerNBA

The Nets deal would have had them paying Brook Lopez some $60 million... they would have been tied to an average player at best at a rate that meant they could do nothing going forward... plus a Kris Humphries would have been a multi-year deal too. The Magic would have gotten players in the deal, but they would have radically overpaid for them and been stuck with those guys for years to come. Neither fit the "Culture" Orlando is trying to build.

1) I heard the Kris Humphries deall would have been 1yr @ 9mil.

2) Brook Lopez would have been making 13 million in year one with ~1mil raises for the next three years.. Al Harrington and Aaron Afflalo will be making 15 million for the next three years.

13/14/15/16 vs 15/15/15

Everyone in the world would pick Brook Lopez over that.

This deal got Orlando absolutely everything they wanted... a couple of promising young guys... ending contracts... 5 draft picks and out of guys they wanted off the roster before camp started.

You may not like the return, but this deal was everything Orlando wanted.

The Magic didn't get ending contracts; Afflalo and Harrington are getting paid long term. Those drafts picks are years in the future and protected. The young guys are not at all promising.

Steve Kyler is an idiot.

Meier

Orlando haul just got better!

These are all the players involved:

Lakers Dwight Howard, Chris Duhon, Earl Clark
Nuggets Andre Iguodala
76ers Andrew Bynum, Jason Richardson
Magic* Arron Afflalo, Al Harrington, Nikola Vucevic, Moe Harkless Josh McRoberts, Christian Eyenga

*- Magic also will receive a protected 1st-round pick from each of the other three teams and five overall draft picks

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8256377/dwight-howard-traded-los-angeles-lakers

thekad

Banned
And Hennigan officially confirms the Houston rumor wasn't what we thought.

But we already know what Houston offered: Some combination of Lamb/White/T. Jones, TOR pick, DAL pick, and salary relief with no bad contracts going back to Orlando.

The Toronto pick by itself is better than what Orlando received.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
1) I heard the Kris Humphries deall would have been 1yr @ 9mil.

2) Brook Lopez would have been making 13 million in year one with ~1mil raises for the next three years.. Al Harrington and Aaron Afflalo will be making 15 million for the next three years.

13/14/15/16 vs 15/15/15

Everyone in the world would pick Brook Lopez over that.

The Magic didn't get ending contracts; Afflalo and Harrington are getting paid long term. Those drafts picks are years in the future and protected. The young guys are not at all promising.

Steve Kyler is an idiot.

This is not true. Harrington's contract is only partially guaranteed.

Zeus Molecules

Where he would have drugged up Dwight and then gotten pictures of Howard with a dick in his mouth. Isiah didn't give a fuck.

Man Isiah still runs the knicks....

And no way does the knicks make this deal. At this point the knicks dont even make trades except as cap room formality to get FA to avoid stuff like this.

Meier

There with ya. I loved Michael Ansley as much as Nick Anderson. I went to the first preseason game against Detroit when we beat the defending champs. Had a Magic license plate. Realized a dream come true when I finally had a good paying enough job to get season tix and was treated to T-Mac's BS season as a thank you. I know this shit happens as part of sports and you have to get bad before you get better but usually you give your fanbase hope with all the rooks and draft picks you get back. You give your fan base hope. There is none here.

My parents actually went to the first preseason game as well -- my dad's construction company always had season tix so I got to go every so often. I still have a copy of the Sentinel from the day after actually. My cousin was a ballboy for many years so he got a ton of cool shit (my brothers were batboys for the Sun Rays as well coincidentally) -- I remember holding a pair of Shaq's sneakers that he'd received and just thinking life couldn't get any better. Then he left us.

It's tough. When you move away, you lose at least a certain amount of ability to follow a team due to obvious reasons. That can be useful when your team is sucking because you at least aren't constantly reminded about it, but it doesn't make it hurt any less. The team has been mismanaged for essentially its entire existence. There's only so much a fan can take. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom