• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
the most genius thing he did was wait the Magic out. Didn' panic after the veto. Didn't panic and trade Bynum last season. Didn't panic when it looked like Dwight was brooklyn bound. Didn't panic and trade Pau AND Drew and take back a bunch of Orlando trash like Hedo.

What? Mitch didn't do anything. Stern, GMs, and Owners giftwrap every superstar to the Lakers. Hell even a chimpanzee can be GM for the Lakers and be successful.

http://deadspin.com/5933664/dwight-howard-on-the-lakers-is-just-what-the-nba-bargained-for
Los Angeles gamed the system in a way that the Knicks and Clippers weren't able to. Those latter two teams got the unhappy superstars they'd targeted, but there was a hastiness about the transactions that added some semblance of fairness to the deals. The Knicks panicked and gave away far more assets than they needed to in order to acquire Anthony, and the Clippers were eager enough to jump into the L.A. spotlight that they sent Eric Gordon, their second-best player at the time, to the Hornets (who had lost any negotiating leverage they might have had when Stern scotched their first Paul trade, to the Lakers).
The Lakers knew better than to panic. They slow-played the Magic into gifting them Dwight Howard. There were any number of times over the course of the offseason that they could have gotten anxious and shipped both Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol out of town to get Howard. But they waited, knowing that the league is tilted in their favor even post-lockout, and eventually got the trade they wanted all along.

Puddles

Banned
Must be the best vacation ever and well deserved!

After landing Dwight, Mitch deserves an infinity pool in Bora Bora while at least four beautiful Asian women massage his back and feed him delicious tropical fruit before asking him if he wants to turn over so they can do the front.

the most genius thing he did was wait the Magic out. Didn' panic after the veto. Didn't panic and trade Bynum last season. Didn't panic when it looked like Dwight was brooklyn bound. Didn't panic and trade Pau AND Drew and take back a bunch of Orlando trash like Hedo.
I haven't really followed the Howard saga all that closely, but was he ever really close to Brooklyn? It seemed to me as if they wanted him badly, but there was never any strong evidence of him wanting to end up there. Please correct if I missed something.

As for the rest, it is kind of difficult to gauge. For all we know he tried pulling off several other moves that simply didn't go down.

In the end it seems to me it had more to do with Howard’s pressure and the lakers toying with the hopeless and helpless carcass of the magic front office.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The more I think about it, the more I want K-Mart on this team. He's still an above average defender and will give Chris Bosh trouble. And if anyone's been paying attention the last few years they know Chris is the main reason the Heat steamroll our asses (Only game we've won against them was when he wasn't even playing....). Not Lebron. Not wade. Bosh.

I think K-mart can also guard Durant for stretches as well. Although I may be severely mistaken.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Orlando did the deal, they got tired of Dwight Howard, the just said fuck this, we out, what gives us the most shit right now, Lakers looked most attractive with the 4 way deal... Deal Done

Half the fucking teams in the league don't want to win a or multiple championship(s)
Their owners are happy to line their pockets

Do you seriously think Dan Gilbert wants one?
No, he wanted the Lebron circus, which lined his pockets galore, gave him whatever he wanted, but after a while the playful schtick plays off, and the player wants to win, Dan Gilbert didn't facilitate that just as the Magic

Small market teams like OKC need to be made templates and shit like CLE & ORL should be used as case studies of when "Keeping it too Real" goes wrong both on management and player side

Also what with this World Basketball Tournament?

Stern can't be this stupid can he?

You play almost 3/4th full year of B-Ball, and now you want them to go off-season to World Play so you can tired out your players more, didn't this season alone show you how bad/sloppy NBA play was with a shrunk season

pilonv1

Also what with this World Basketball Tournament?

Stern can't be this stupid can he?

You play almost 3/4th full year of B-Ball, and now you want them to go off-season to World Play so you can tired out your players more, didn't this season alone show you how bad/sloppy NBA play was with a shrunk season

NBA/owners don't make money from the Olympics. If they get FIBA on board they can make money from it like the World Cup.

I haven't really followed the Howard saga all that closely, but was he ever really close to Brooklyn? It seemed to me as if they wanted him badly, but there was never any strong evidence of him wanting to end up there. Please correct if I missed something.

As for the rest, it is kind of difficult to gauge. For all we know he tried pulling off several other moves that simply didn't go down.

In the end it seems to me it had more to do with Howard’s pressure and the lakers toying with the hopeless and helpless carcass of the magic front office.

uhh, Brooklyn was his top choice.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Orlando did the deal, they got tired of Dwight Howard, the just said fuck this, we out, what gives us the most shit right now, Lakers looked most attractive with the 4 way deal... Deal Done

Half the fucking teams in the league don't want to win a or multiple championship(s)
Their owners are happy to line their pockets

Do you seriously think Dan Gilbert wants one?
No, he wanted the Lebron circus, which lined his pockets galore, gave him whatever he wanted, but after a while the playful schtick plays off, and the player wants to win, Dan Gilbert didn't facilitate that just as the Magic

Small market teams like OKC need to be made templates and shit like CLE & ORL should be used as case studies of when "Keeping it too Real" goes wrong both on management and player side

It's why if he wanted max value Hennigan should've traded Howard asap. The wait played right into Mitch's hands. If he traded him earlier Brooklyn wouldn't have panicked and traded away all their assets and cap room for Joe Johnson and we'd have extra picks that wound up getting us Nash. Or the Rockets may have been willing to up their offer or still trade for Dwight when they still believed he could possibly resign. Instead Hennigan milked it and it cost him big time. All his due diligence did was ruin his leverage. He was never going to get a Carmela Anthony return and it was foolish to think as much.

The more I think about it, the more I want K-Mart on this team. He's still an above average defender and will give Chris Bosh trouble. And if anyone's been paying attention the last few years they know Chris is the main reason the Heat steamroll our asses (Only game we've won against them was when he wasn't even playing....). Not Lebron. Not wade. Bosh.

I think K-mart can also guard Durant for stretches as well. Although I may be severely mistaken.

If nothing else, he can be a foul goon.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The Thunder's model isn't really different from most other small market teams, their picks have just been better.

Aren't you happy that Deron Williams got you a deal that was a billion times better than what Orlando got?

I don't even care about the league or a lockout or rigged right now. I'm just thinking of all the deals that my team did that were better than this trade.

So much this.

In his shoes I woulda thrown in metta and taken on Hedo or Jrich or someone. Mitch deserves a standing ovation.

SamuraiX-

So I just realized CherryWoodFuton, Syphon Filter, Sanjuro, and Smokey are all banned. lol

Looking at Syphon and Sanjuro's post history is pretty funny, but I still can't figure out why the other two are on timeouts. Smokey looks like he double imploded after the Dwight trade and then losing the championship in NCAA Football '13.

Aren't you happy that Deron Williams got you a deal that was a billion times better than what Orlando got?

I don't even care about the league or a lockout or rigged right now. I'm just thinking of all the deals that my team did that were better than this trade.

Orlando should have put Dwight on the market before last season. The writing was on the wall that he was going to leave, and unlike Cleveland with Bron, it's not like they thought they had a legit chance at a title.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Shved is coming over, they're both in trouble.

Amundson can play 20 mins without taking a shot and still play well. Not a good fit for the current Knicks

So jefferies 2.0 like I thought? I am ok with that. K.Mart if he comes too.

The knicks need defense only they have 5 guys already on that team who demand touches in Melo, Felton, JR, Novak, and Amare. They need a PF who can move fast enough to either help/stunt help defend on the high block/perimeter to disrupt the PnR and then go up for Rebounds.

Taken this from another forum(PSD) :
quoting a dr. klapper (whut) on espn 710 and all assuming dwight isn’t faking his injury…

“Just listened to Dr. Robert Klapper, chief of orthopedic surgery at Cedar Sinai and ESPN 710’s resident expert.

Some highlights:

1. From an orthopedic surgery standpoint he would much rather have Dwight’s back than Andrew’s knees.

2. The knees have a much more “chronic injury” issue than Dwight’s back which is an “acute injury” that can be repaired with very little sequelae.

3. After surgery, you can’t play basketball and engage in any heavy physical activity for 4 months.

Why?

Because the injury is a disc herniation: a small amount of the nucleus pulposus or the “shock absorber” of the disc got squeezed out. It is a VERY SMALL amount. You get rid of the “squirted out” material with a 1 inch incision under a microscope.

There is a 5-10 percent chance that returning to physical activity too early could herniate more material. That’s obviously not good because you’ve re-herniated the disc and have to remove more of the extruded disc.

Bear in mind that Dwight was fully recovered, pain free, and ready to work out probably a few weeks after surgery (it is only 1 inch incision after all). BUT returning to physical activity too early gets you that 5-10 percent chance. Keep in mind that means there is a 90 to 95% chance that if he came back after only a month or so he would be fine.

But he is Dwight Howard and so they are being super, super cautious.

4. He had surgery 04/20/2012 which means he should be able to resume training, weights, basketball activity, etc around 08/20/2012 if everything goes according to schedule and he feels no pain, etc.

5. Per Dr. Klapper, based on that schedule Dwight should be ready for opening night (10/30/2012). He’ll have 2 months to get his conditioning back. Again assuming he recovers as expected and at his age and conditioning there should be NO REASON for any setbacks.

Oh and Official Pic!!!

293035_10152049806880341_156067138_n.jpg

Emwitus

Do the lakers have the luxury to get older?

Omega

Banned

lol Martin is not going to defend Bosh.

giri

Orlando should have put Dwight on the market before last season. The writing was on the wall that he was going to leave, and unlike Cleveland with Bron, it's not like they thought they had a legit chance at a title.
what? you mean the season after a trip to the finals ?

yeah. they should totally do that.

"We haven't necessarily seen [what I can do]," he said. "It's going to just be my scoring mentality ... going out there and being aggressive and shooting the basketball and being fearless. That's something that I've always done, and that's going to be my niche in this league."-Jimmer Fredette

Chuck so hard.

Nelo Ice

Banned
point remains. they would have been retards to just give up mid way through the contract. the same as saying why bother at all.
Before last season is when he asked for a trade and that was last December which is what Ninja is talking about. He could threaten to opt out at the time. And it was clear the Magic weren't going to contend. The Magic thought they could convince him to stay a la Kobe and they failed miserably. Or they expected a Melo esque return for dragging it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom