• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I'm gonna feel real bad for Knicksage when Melo is the same above average melo as last year when he's playing NBA teams with his NBA team.

just think knicks-age, the next time you'll feel good about rooting for a team will be in another 4 years.

I hate writing paragraphs On NeoGAF but...

I'm good with my team they under performed last year due to having way to much drama around the team and getting injured at the wrong time. This year they added depth, the star players are improving their craft in the offseason, and they have the defensive pieces needed to shore up Melo and Amares weaknesses.

Yeah we lost Lin but hey the Rockets are going to suck so we get that Schadenfreude. Also a stack Atlantic division means better games all season. Lastly Shump Da God will be back by the playoffs.... This is as good as it been in a long time.

SamuraiX-

I didn't say he won us titles anywhere. I said he was instrumental. Obviously, Kobe Pau and Odom were more important in each run.

Remember how more important Kobe, Pau, and Odom were over Bynum in '08?

owate...

Bynum was easily the 2nd most important player, at the very least, on those back-to-back teams for you guys.

if we're talking just basketball..yeah

unlike LA, New York doesn't just have one good team

what trend?

superteams have always existed unless you're talking about players crying and bitching their way to preferred teams
angels?
kings?
doyers?
oh wait, you said good team. let's take out the doyers. 3 good teams in la is still fantastic!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
angels?
kings?
doyers?
oh wait, you said good team. let's take out the doyers. 3 good teams in la is still fantastic!

Et9iQ.gif

Redux

Banned
nobody wants to sign in cleveland

nobody has ever wanted to sign in cleveland

I don't understand this shit. They just got the best center, hurt or not, in the league for kicking someone in the nuts.

If it was your team, you'd be happy as fuck too.

Shit, they haven't even been posting WE ALREADY WON songs by wackass party rappers yet

Players will want to sign with Cleveland after Kyrie Irving proves he's the best pointguard in the league, and realize how vulnerable the east is.

Fellow Magic fans if you want a good laugh (or just want to drown out some sorrows):

Earl Clark: Why Newest Laker Will Greatly Help Strengthen Thin LA Bench

And this gem from not too long ago: Los Angeles Lakers Should Covet Chris Duhon in Potential Dwight Howard Trade

The Onion couldn't come up with shit this funny - "His salary is peanuts at just over $1 million this season. You'd be hard pressed to find a guy of Clark's reliability that is so affordable."

Duhon is a great expiring next season if need be. Not kidding, here.

Remember, Mamba said the Odom TPE will pay dividends.

Players will want to sign with Cleveland after Kyrie Irving proves he's the best pointguard in the league, and realize how vulnerable the east is.

Yeah if only LeBron was the best player in the league or something.

Maybe then people would have flocked to Cleveland. Too bad he wasn't and thus no one wanted to play with him.

SamuraiX-

Cleveland is drafting guys like Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters with Top 5 picks and trading away late 1sts + early 2nds for guys like Tyler Zeller.

Unless Chris Grant stops living in his own little world, Kyrie's incentive to stay in Cleveland long term is just going to continue to wither.

Redux

Banned
Times have changed, and Gilbert knows misery loves apes where we can commence his banking, and hiring decent people around him + draft.

Dion Waiters & TT will blossom right in front of NBA GAF's face.

Redux

Banned
You guys have to understand that Mike Brown was at helm. This guy could climb up a telephone pole, and suck on a live wire to end his life and fail at it.

Makes me ill knowing he has all these great players to get a ring with now.

Cleveland is drafting guys like Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters with Top 5 picks and trading away late 1sts + early 2nds for guys like Tyler Zeller.

Unless Chris Grant stops living in his own little world, Kyrie's incentive to stay in Cleveland long term is just going to continue to wither.

Pure truth.

SamuraiX-

Times have changed, and Gilbert knows misery loves apes where we can commence his banking, and hiring decent people around him + draft.

Dion Waiters & TT will blossom right in front of NBA GAF's face.

Into what exactly? Semi-reliable role players? Because you sure as shit shouldn't be taking those at top 5 in the draft.

Dion Waiters will be the Kawhi Leonard* of the draft.

*If Kawhi wasn't traded to the Spurs.

Yup. You're certainly right on about that.

HenryHSH

I didn't say he won us titles anywhere. I said he was instrumental. Obviously, Kobe Pau and Odom were more important in each run.

I know, it was just a continuation of my point from the whole discussion. The only reason I got involved in this whole Bynum thing is because someone said that he won us 'chips...

My man Bynum brought.you chips... You should be more grateful.

Anyway, no more arguments from me. Bynum was great for us this past season and we should have used him more on offense. Hope he does well in Philly and stays healthy, but I'm glad he's gone.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I don't even disagree with taking Tristan in the top 5 of that draft... there wasn't anyone else at that spot worth jumping at really.

This is wrong. Orlando is to Los Angeles as Cleveland is to Miami.

No problem.

Kyrie goes to LAL via MIA in a 4 way trade with CLE and TOR.

Don't worry though.

We'll un-retire Metta (to make the salaries match) and pay him $400k.

In return, we'll send out GOD-LOCK and Sacre along with 4 3rd round picks.

No problem.

Kyrie goes to LAL via MIA in a 4 way trade with CLE and TOR.

Don't worry though.

We'll un-retire Metta (to make the salaries match) and pay him $400k.

In return, we'll send out GOD-LOCK and Sacre along with 4 3rd round picks.

Don't the Lakers have to send Dwight to Miami in his post-prime in this deal?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Valanciunas will develop into significantly better player than Tristan Thompson.

It could go either way imo...

Biyombo looks to be the better player than either anyways. I still have trouble believing that a 19 year old can play some of the best defense at that position in the entire league.

Kyrie and Klay would've been wild though...

I still don't understand the reasoning behind this trade, Not that I'm complaining of course.

http://ht.ly/cU7va

The Orlando Magic acquired a total of five draft picks in the blockbuster trade that sent Dwight Howard to the Los Angeles Lakers.

Three of those picks are conditional first-round picks. Two are second-round picks (one of them protected and conditional).

Here is a breakdown of each of those picks, specifically explaining the conditions that apply to each one:

2014 first-round pick from the Denver Nuggets
The Nuggets have two first-round picks in 2014: their own pick and a pick from the New York Knicks. The Magic will receive the less favorable of the two picks.

One future first-round pick from the Philadelphia 76ers
This pick is tied to a previous trade between the Sixers and the Miami Heat, and the Magic cannot receive the pick from the Sixers from the Howard deal until the Sixers satisfy their prior commitment to the Heat.

Here’s the CliffsNotes version:
• If the Sixers make the playoffs in 2012-13, the Magic will receive a protected Sixers first-round pick in 2015.
• If the Sixers don’t make the playoffs until 2013-14, the Magic will receive a protected Sixers first-round pick in 2016.
• Even if the Sixers still haven’t made the playoffs by 2014-15, the Magic will receive a protected Sixers first-round pick in 2017.

Now, remember that the pick the Magic are getting will be protected. Here are the terms of that protection:
• 2015 draft: The Magic will receive the pick if it falls from 15th overall to 30th overall. If the pick falls from first overall to 14th overall, Philly will keep the pick and Orlando instead will receive a protected first-round pick in 2016.

• 2016 draft: The Magic will receive the pick if it falls from 15th overall to 30th overall. If the pick falls from first overall to 14th overall, Philly will keep the pick and Orlando instead will receive a protected first-round pick in 2017.

• 2017 draft: The Magic will receive the pick if it falls from 12th overall to 30th overall. If the pick falls from first overall to 11th overall, Philly will keep the pick and Orlando instead will receive a protected first-round pick in 2018.

• 2018 draft: The Magic will keep the pick if it falls from ninth overall to 30th overall. If the pick falls from first overall to eighth overall, Philly will keep the pick and Orlando instead will receive a second-round pick in 2018 and a second-round pick in 2019. (Why would the Magic forfeit a first-round pick? Because the new CBA prohibits teams from trading a first-round pick seven years out.)

One future first-round pick from the Lakers
This pick is tied to the Lakers’ sign-and-trade deal with the Phoenix Suns for Steve Nash, and the Magic cannot receive the Lakers’ first-round pick until the Lakers satisfy their obligation to the Suns.

That said, the only way the Magic don’t get a protected pick from the Lakers for the 2017 draft is if the Lakers are terrible in 2012-13 and fail to make the playoffs. That’s not going to happen.

But if the Lakers don’t make the playoffs until 2013-14, the Magic would get a Lakers’ protected first-round pick in 2018. If by some miracle the Lakers don’t make the playoffs in any of the next three seasons, the Magic would not get a first-round pick from the Lakers and instead would get the Lakers’ second-round pick in 2017 and the Lakers’ second-round pick in 2018 because of the CBA rule that prevents a team from trading a first-round pick seven years out.

Here are the protection terms:
• 2017 draft: The Magic will receive the pick if it falls from sixth overall to 30th overall. If the pick falls from first overall to fifth overall, L.A. will keep the pick and Orlando instead will receive a protected first-round pick in 2018.

• 2018 draft: The Magic will receive the pick if it falls from sixth overall to 30th overall. If the pick falls from first overall to fifth overall, L.A. will keep the pick and Orlando instead will receive a first-round pick in 2019.

• 2019 draft: Unprotected. The Magic will receive the pick no matter what it falls.

2013 second-round pick from the Nuggets
This pick originally belonged to the Golden State Warriors, so the picks place in the second round will be determined by how the Warriors finish during the 2012-13 season.

2015 second-round pick from the Lakers
The Lakers will keep the pick if it falls from 31st overall to 40th overall. If that occurs, the pick disappears and the Magic won’t receive a second-round pick from the Lakers.

Follow Josh Robbins on Twitter at @JoshuaBRobbins and e-mail him at jrobbins@orlandosentinel.com. Subscribe to our Orlando Magic newsletter at OrlandoSentinel.com/joinus.

2015 Kyrie/Dwight Laker Future believe.

The Lakers 1st rounder is top 5 protected until 2018!?!? LOLOL

And the 2nd rounder becomes nothing if it's 31-40!?

In Mitch We Trust.

Lol that's so awesome. The one window where the pick might actually be good the Magic can't get it. By 2018 we will have reloaded again. I was worried that when Kobe and Pau are done we might have another 2005 only this time Lose the pick but Mitch insured that wont happen. He's playing chess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom