• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
what nothing... in this weak big man league McGee should be an all-star easy. He has all of the tools to be the man at the 5.

A lot of players have all the tools, but I don't think stupidity is something you can fix on the basketball court. You can only tame it....and I'm not sure about him

uh...Ibaka was always going to get $12 mil or so per year. We all knew this for a long time, why are people getting shocked?

And Ibaka would have been thrown a max (which starts at $12 mil) by someone next off-season, guaranteed. OKC saved themselves a few million going forward by locking him up now.

He probably isn't worth that contract but has potential to match it. But in this NBA, it doesn't matter, because OKC couldn't afford to let Ibaka walk and replace him with nothing.

uh...Ibaka was always going to get $12 mil or so per year. We all knew this for a long time, why are people getting shocked?

And Ibaka would have been thrown a max (which starts at $12 mil) by someone next off-season, guaranteed. OKC saved themselves a few million going forward by locking him up now.

He probably isn't worth that contract but has potential to match it. But in this NBA, it doesn't matter, because OKC couldn't afford to let Ibaka walk and replace him with nothing.

Ibaka's an RFA, you let the market decide his value next summer. Giving him a huge extension after a terrible Finals screams of dumb management.

SamuraiX-

You don't give $12M/yr to a hustle guy. You just don't. Unless he brings Dennis Rodman levels of hustle or some shit.

If you're giving double-digit millions per year to anybody in this league, that motherfucker better at least be a Top 3 option on offense.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
A lot of players have all the tools, but I don't think stupidity is something you can fix on the basketball court. You can only tame it....and I'm not sure about him
No, few big men have the hands and footwork to be good. Even retarded players can eat for a few years in their prime if their tools are good enough.

Pretty sure someone would offer him more than 4/48 and then they'd probably match.

If some team offers him more then OKC lets him walk while the other team inevitably regrets their decision in overpaying for marginal talent

Instead OKC will regret their decision when they realize they have little room to improve after Dwight drops 40 on them in the playoffs

pilonv1

Pretty sure someone would offer him more than 4/48 and then they'd probably match.

Guaranteed someone offers him a max deal if he went to the market. If Hibbert and Lopez were getting them then surely Ibaka would.

It's a smart move by Presti because he's saved himself $12million. Is he overpaying? Of course but half the league is overpaying their starters.

Blackace

Guaranteed someone offers him a max deal if he went to the market. If Hibbert and Lopez were getting them then surely Ibaka would.

It's a smart move by Presti because he's saved himself $12million. Is he overpaying? Of course but half the league is overpaying their starters.

Hibbert and Lopez are both better offensive bigs.... Which are harder to come by than defensive bigs. But I knew they were going to have to pay him..

pilonv1

Hibbert and Lopez are both better offensive bigs.... Which are harder to come by than defensive bigs. But I knew they were going to have to pay him..

On a team with YNB, Harden and Durant offense from Ibaka isn't as important.

Here's something to keep in mind

On July 18, 2012, McGee re-signed with the Nuggets with a 4-year, $44 million contract.

Blackace

On a team with YNB, Harden and Durant offense from Ibaka isn't as important.

Here's something to keep in mind
I would take McGee over Ibaka every time

Offense is always important, a post game would make the Thunder really tough...

Puddles

Banned
OKC's problems in the Finals were that they're mediocre on defense and Harden and the rest of the team had used up all their insanely hot shooting against the Spurs.

They also had to go against voodoo-magic outlier 3pt shooting from Miami's role players. Miami's 3 pt shooting, to me, is not only evidence that the supernatural exists, but that God is malevolent.

If Miami's guys had just shot their season averages from the perimeter, OKC could have taken that series.

diehard

Fleer
shooting higher than your season average in the finals proves that God is malevolent but people like Kobe getting rings is just happenstance.

giri

I'm unvonvinced he gets a max. And he's replaceable. he really is. Shit, trade him for millsap and they get better.

fertygo

Then you're dumb.

I watch 100+ match of Bulls in last 2 year because I'm Rose fan, qualified enough to make that judgement.

There is reason why Bulls defense seems a lot more solid with Asik/Gibson than with Noah, Noah only excel in help defense (switching)but due to his baby arm he can't be rim protector n block shot, that's like half of purpose from bigman help defense, his post/man defense also not better than Ibaka. Bulls defense will a lot more scary with Ibaka than with Noah.

Let not act Noah isn't liabilities on offense either, he can pass then? I rather Noah shoot his tornado shit than Ibaka's keep improving J.

Btw OKC maybe can get Taj Gibson cheaper next year than sign this extension, same player. Or even better fit.

SamuraiX-

Then you're dumb.

Is it really that outrageous?

Noah's a more competent rebounder and defender, while maintaining equal or better offense production (on a good day) compared to Ibaka.

Noah's one of the few big men in the league who's actually worth the bank he's making.

fertygo

Noah's a more competent rebounder and defender, while maintaining equal or better offense production (on a good day) compared to Ibaka.

Noah's one of the few big men in the league who's actually worth the bank he's making.

And yet Thibs pick Asik more often in crucial moment for Bulls eh...

linsivvi

I don't think it's that bad of a contract. The Thunder is just playing it safe. Sure they could give up on him now and flip him for some players while his value is high, or match the max contract offer he's certainly going to get next off season. Either way you are taking a risk at ruining the team's chemistry.

Of course as a Laker fan I am happy with this since it basically put a cap on how good the Thunder can become. They've basically settled at their core right now. Not that it's a bad core, but it also prevents them from improving it even more.

giri

I watch 100+ match of Bulls in last 2 year because I'm Rose fan, qualified enough to make that judgement.

There is reason why Bulls defense seems a lot more solid with Asik/Gibson than with Noah, Noah only excel in help defense (switching)but due to his baby arm he can't be rim protector n block shot, that's like half of purpose from bigman help defense, his post/man defense also not better than Ibaka. Bulls defense will a lot more scary with Ibaka than with Noah.

Let not act Noah isn't liabilities on offense either, he can pass then? I rather Noah shoot his tornado shit than Ibaka's keep improving J.

Btw OKC maybe can get Taj Gibson cheaper next year than sign this extension, same player. Or even better fit.

And yet Thibs pick Asik more often in crucial moment for Bulls eh...
Asik/Gibson are a much better defensive force because boozer is one of the worst defenders in the league.

Which is also why Noah has ended up in foul trouble a fair bit recently. Covering for boozer.

It's pretty dumb because noah has great feet, can guard the post, is probably only second behind chandler at PnR defense, rebounds, plays hard, and is a good passer.

Noah also anchors the bulls defense and is great at calling out rotations.

Ibaka makes blocks.

Noah is a much much MUCH better player than Ibaka.

If you've watched 100+ bulls games and haven't noticed that, you should pay more attention.

fertygo

Asik/Gibson are a much better defensive force because boozer is one of the worst defenders in the league.

Which is also why Noah has ended up in foul trouble a fair bit recently. Covering for boozer.

It's pretty dumb because noah has great feet, can guard the post, is probably only second behind chandler at PnR defense, rebounds, plays hard, and is a good passer.

Noah also anchors the bulls defense and is great at calling out rotations.

Ibaka makes blocks.

Noah is a much much MUCH better player than Ibaka.

If you've watched 100+ bulls games and haven't noticed that, you should pay more attention.
Noah post/man defense really isn't that good, Dwight or other legit offensive threat big usually destroy him.. If someone calling Ibaka for that its should apply for Noah too. Noah can very useful on defense because he can switch to guard perimeter player all the time and Thibs defensive scheme demanding that, I think Ibaka actually not bad at doing this..

And like I said before Noah's short arm make him less effective as defensive anchor... there is noticeably more easy basket opportunity for opposition when Noah on the floor, Imagine if Ibaka can cover that.. Both are liabilities on offense, but at least Ibaka not have silly tendency like Noah that often trying beat his marker by dribble or some shit..

Ibaka will look much better if Scott Brook isn't such a mediocre coach... And actually have elite defensive scheme, He's averaging 4 BPG afterall n its not like he doing that without great defensive awareness, read, and timing.

I've seen CJ Watson - Korver -Brewer - Gibson - Thomas play much better defense than what thunder doing in Finals. I'm sure Thibs don't have problem with Ibaka or Perkins (no matter how bad he is now) too.

OKC has to keep their core intact so I'm not surprised to see Ibaka get paid what he is.

They really can't afford to amnesty Perkins at this point with Dwight on the Lakers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom