• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The more I think about it, the more I realize that PFs like Ibaka and Okafor deserve their own tier.

They're never as valuable as you immediately believe.

Noah is a good to very good defender, he is overrated because he can't protect the rim that well but he's a great pick-and-roll defender. Asik played over him sometimes because Asik's one of the best defenders in the NBA.

diehard

Fleer
Before I'm banned for another 3 weeks, i would rather have Noah. Just because he doesn't rack up the blocks Ibaka does doesn't mean he isnt twice the defender.

Shadow780

Before I'm banned for another 3 weeks, i would rather have Noah. Just because he doesn't rack up the blocks Ibaka does doesn't mean he isnt twice the defender.

Not gonna lie, the persecution complex comment combined with you being a Jazz fan made me chuckle.

Too much land mines in OT, best to not tread at all.

I knew we'd be 3DS homeboys

Psh, we just homeboys in general.

marked_sml_351527365-genytusavnew.jpg

I would rather have Noah over Ibaka but some of yall are making it sound like he compared Hakeem to Kwame

They are on different levels though. Noah is actually a decent defensive anchor. Nowhere near Dwight or Tyson Chandler, mind you, but still solid. Ibaka is a good shot blocker but shit defensively otherwise.

Barrage

It was the right call to resign Ibaka. He took a little less than what he would have gotten on the open market, meaning OKC can get a better return if they choose to flip him next summer.

I think the rumored Harden-for-Beal deal at the draft hinted at a move OKC will consider making if they don't get it done this year...trade Harden or Ibaka for a can't-miss Rookie that does the same thing, and try and stay out of the luxury. Problem is, next year's draft will be shit.

Redux

Banned
What about taking Ibaka's age into consideration?

Exactly, he's only 22. Then you have people talking about drafting big men like Andre Drummond with the whole "its a project" tab on him. My point is, Ibaka already has proven talent, and can build off these foundations. I doubt his offensive game will be the equivalent of Ben Wallace's in years down the road. Not with Durant, Harden etc. around him.

T Dollarz

Yeah, the fact that Ibaka's already this good leads me to believe that by the time he's Noah's age he'll be significantly better. And this is coming from someone who LOVES Joakim Noah.

chizmiz

Banned
Exactly, he's only 22. Then you have people talking about drafting big men like Andre Drummond with the whole "its a project" tab on him. My point is, Ibaka already has proven talent, and can build off these foundations. I doubt his offensive game will be the equivalent of Ben Wallace's in years down the road. Not with Durant, Harden etc. around him.

Are you actually implying that having James Harden around will improve Serge Ibaka's offense?

How the fuck would that work?

Yeah, the fact that Ibaka's already this good leads me to believe that by the time he's Noah's age he'll be significantly better. And this is coming from someone who LOVES Joakim Noah.

Yes. I'm sure a few more years of NBA experience will transform him into a completely different type of player from what he is now. That happens all the time.

Yes. I'm sure a few more years of NBA experience will transform him into a completely different type of player from what he is now. That happens all the time.

It's not unheard-of for guys to get a lot smarter and more aware on defense. Guys like LeBron or Bogut took a long time to become great defenders...But it usually happens with a coaching change or with criticism to their defense and neither is happening for Ibaka right now.

1. I agree on Noah > Ibaka

2. Ibaka does more than just block shots. And he was going to always get paid a lot.

3. OKC couldn't just "replace" Ibaka. They would have only the MLE to give and who is as good as Ibaka for only $5 mil coming around. If you think Gibson will be available or that cheap, you're nuts. And if a guy like Milsap was being offered for Ibaka, you're nuts. It's not like OKC can just do whatever they want, they ain't the Lakers.

It's not unheard-of for guys to get a lot smarter and more aware on defense. Guys like LeBron or Bogut took a long time to become great defenders...But it usually happens with a coaching change or with criticism to their defense and neither is happening for Ibaka right now.

Yeah but he would have to change his entire style of play. I don't see it happening. A guy like Ibaka is someone who complements players like Dwight and Chandler, not plays like them. Problem for the Thunder is that Perk is just as trashy on defense as Ibaka is so their post D is garbage.

Yeah but he would have to change his entire style of play. I don't see it happening. A guy like Ibaka is someone who complements players like Dwight and Chandler, not plays like them. Problem for the Thunder is that Perk is just as trashy on defense as Ibaka is so their post D is garbage.

Perk's only value is post defense. Dwight, Duncan, Bynum is pretty much his reason for existing.

His problem becomes obvious like versus Miami when there is no post presence (among bigs) because he isn't much of a help defender/rim protector.

Perkins has no value because he's one of the worst players in the league

And Ibaka is marginal talent that OKC overpaid for because they're impatient. They will come to regret that contract.

Perkins was tremendously helpful for the heat on offensive possessions when he decided that he HAD to take a shot

also does anybody here have nba jam OF edition for 360? we have guys from the madden league who have it. last night i dropped a triple double on them mmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom