• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I think one of the most over looked parts is. ibaka has been in the US for what, 3 years now? and his english is still pretty bad.

Thats not so relevant OFF court. But on court, calling out rotations and the like? eh.

I think Ibaka has room to improve his offensive game, i think he could be ok on a PnR (ok jumper, good athlete) but i don't remember seeing him finish around the rim that often.

But he's not that good a defender in the first place for people to think he's good defensively. He gives up so many offensive rebounds.

Truthfully atm, the only difference between him and Louis Amundson is Ibaka's jumper is better. Amundson is probably a better defender though.

PnR could get better if he played with a PG who thought about passing..

masud

Banned
Do we have anyone in sun's age that lives in phoenix? I drove out there last year for a sun's game (from Albuquerque) but I'm probably gonna go to Denver this year.

Blackace

lol what disrespect When I told you I'd like to become a Sonics fan (because I was born in Seattle/was a huge UT/Kevin Durant fan) you rejected me. Atone, blackace!

Welcome to Sonics-Age! Don't forget to spit on the Thunder's jersey on the way out

giri

PnR could get better if he played with a PG who thought about passing..

I'd honestly like to see what he and harden could do in the PnR.

But i think Harden spends a fair bit of time on the court with Collison.

Not that i think it would be amazing or anything, but the thunder need to get their bigs involved scoring wise, for when YNB is shitting the bed.

Blackace

I'd honestly like to see what he and harden could do in the PnR.

But i think Harden spends a fair bit of time on the court with Collison.

Not that i think it would be amazing or anything, but the thunder need to get their bigs involved scoring wise, for when YNB is shitting the bed.
Harden is an overrated ball handler...he is no Manu or when he had knees Roy...

mhi

Harden is an overrated ball handler...he is no Manu or when he had knees Roy...

Are u referring to general "PG" ball handling as in read defense, run offense, screen use, penetrate n kick out or handling as in 'handles' AKA Iverson crossover ?

If its the former then I disagree.

Also Ibaka has shown tremendous improvement since he came in the league. He was pretty raw offensively but now he can shoot the 15 ft on a serviceable %. On defense he came in as just a shotblocker but now he can actually play decent man on man. His help d though is lacking , and thats is because he prefers to stay near the rim (so he can block) instead of rotating to say, near the perimiter.

Right now I would say Noah is slightly better than him(Noah gets the edge here because he is a deft passer) but in two years Ibaka should be better all around.

giri

Are u referring to general "PG" ball handling as in read defense, run offense, screen use, penetrate n kick out or handling as in 'handles' AKA Iverson crossover ?

Also Ibaka has shown tremendous improvement since he came in the league. He was pretty raw offensively but now he can shoot the 15 ft on a serviceable %. On defense he came in as just a shotblocker but now he can actually play decent man on man. His help d though is lacking , and thats is because he prefers to stay near the rim (so he can block) instead of rotating to say, near the perimiter.

Right now I would say Noah is slightly better than him(Noah gets the edge here because he is a deft passer) but in two years Ibaka should be better all around.

You have that the bolded the complete wrong way around. He's really not that great a defender 1v1 or in the PnR. And Gets abused in the post. He's a help defender first and fore most.

And ibaka is still raw offensively.

Jumper has improved though.

Blackace

as in he is a overrated ball handler. Didn't say the guy was a shitty ball handler just overrated..players like Manu, Roy, Pippen who were not 'PGs" could be relied on to do a bulk of the PGs work.. You would not ask that of Harden..

Until Ibaka pretends to have a post game he will never be of much more value than he is now...

mhi

players like Manu, Roy, Pippen who were not 'PGs" could be relied on to do a bulk of the PGs work.. You would not ask that of Harden..

I think he could(as well as Manu even), they don't utilize him that way because Westbrook is not really a spot up guy so when they are on the court together its better to put the ball in Westbrook's hands cuz Harden can spot up.

Ibaka and a low post game will never happen so if he can get that jumper to 45-48%, the team's spacing will improve.

Also am not a fan of Brook's defensive schemes because they tend to create 1v1 islands.

giri

as in he is a overrated ball handler. Didn't say the guy was a shitty ball handler just overrated..players like Manu, Roy, Pippen who were not 'PGs" could be relied on to do a bulk of the PGs work.. You would not ask that of Harden..

Until Ibaka pretends to have a post game he will never be of much more value than he is now...

I think Hardens a better shooter than Manu (nfi how the %'s play out) but manu would be the better creator for others. For sure. But that doesn't make Harden bad by a long way.You put Harden next to Rose and things would get really interesting out east.

Blackace

I think he could(as well as Manu even), they don't utilize him that way because Westbrook is not really a spot up guy so when they are on the court together its better to put the ball in Westbrook's hands cuz Harden can spot up.

Ibaka and a low post game will never happen so if he can get that jumper to 45-48%, the team's spacing will improve.

Also am not a fan of Brook's defensive schemes because they tend to create 1v1 islands.

Tony Parker isn't a spot up guy also and KD can spot better than most.. So really not seeing how Harden is as good as Manu or others

Blackace

I think Hardens a better shooter than Manu (nfi how the %'s play out) but manu would be the better creator for others. For sure. But that doesn't make Harden bad by a long way.You put Harden next to Rose and things would get really interesting out east.

Not bad, but I still stand he is overrated as a ball handler.

KingGondo

Banned
Serge is inconsistent, but he shows stretches of immense potential.

To justify $12 million/year, I'd like to see him:

1) Improve his man defense (definitely doable, although he's valuable against most teams for his weakside D);
2) Develop a better interior offensive game--in a perfect world, I'd like to see him catch the ball on the block 3-4 times/game to switch things up.
3) Be a more consistent rebounder/be more judicious with his block attempts. Someone with his athletic ability should get double-doubles much more consistently than he does.

The work ethic is there, and he's only 22--I think it's reasonable to expect him to meet those goals.

KingGondo

Banned
So how can the Thunder afford their big 4 players with the rest of the team? I wouldn't have paid Ibaka more than $10M a year.
At this point, they're either committing to paying the tax or amnestying Perkins (assuming they keep Harden, which is all but guaranteed IMO).

My personal opinion is that Bennett will pay the tax for a couple years to try and chip, then reevaluate if things don't work out.

Harden will be back, too. And if we're gonna pay the tax, we might as well keep Maynor. He says he really wants to stay, and he makes our bench one of the best in the league.

At this point, they're either committing to paying the tax or amnestying Perkins (assuming they keep Harden, which is all but guaranteed IMO).

My personal opinion is that Bennett will pay the tax for a couple years to try and chip, then reevaluate if things don't work out.

Harden will be back, too. And if we're gonna pay the tax, we might as well keep Maynor. He says he really wants to stay, and he makes our bench one of the best in the league.

Has Bennet said as much?

I wouldn't trust an owner to spend wildly until they actually do it, and do it wisely. Right Dolan?

KingGondo

Banned
Has Bennet said as much?

I wouldn't trust an owner to spend wildly until they actually do it, and do it wisely. Right Dolan?
Bennett isn't in this primarily to make money, I'm pretty sure--he overpaid for the Sonics and has been pretty conservative with ticket prices and whatnot. I think he wants to be revered and remembered for contributing to OKC in a big way. It's about ego with a lot of these owners.

And let's remember--there's spending big the Dolan Way, then there's spending big on talented young players who were only 3 wins away from a chip just a few months ago.

Blackace

Bennett isn't in this primarily to make money, I'm pretty sure--he overpaid for the Sonics and has been pretty conservative with ticket prices and whatnot. I think he wants to be revered and remembered for contributing to OKC in a big way. It's about ego with a lot of these owners.

And let's remember--there's spending big the Dolan Way, then there's spending big on talented young players who were only 3 wins away from a chip just a few months ago.

A lot has changed in those few months.. Not to say they don't have a chance to chip with their core but man it just got quite a bit harder out west...

Also fuck Bennett.. If I am not mistaken he didn't overpay for the Sonics... He did turn down and huge profit to sell them to local ownership tho

KingGondo

Banned
A lot has changed in those few months.. Not to say they don't have a chance to chip with their core but man it just got quite a bit harder out west...

Also fuck Bennett.. If I am not mistaken he didn't overpay for the Sonics... He did turn down and huge profit to sell them to local ownership tho
PBC paid around $350 million for the Sonics, iirc, which was above their market value. They knew Schultz would sell the team for a quick buck if the opportunity arose. And why would he sell the team months after buying them? Out of the goodness of his heart?

As for OKC's chances with the addition of Dwight--I think less has to go right for OKC to get back to the Finals than it does for the Lakers. One significant injury and they're fucked, while the Thunder have a big edge in youth, athleticism, perimeter play and bench depth. Whoever has HCA wins that series, I think.

As for OKC's chances with the addition of Dwight--I think less has to go right for OKC to get back to the Finals than it does for the Lakers. One significant injury and they're fucked, while the Thunder have a big edge in youth, athleticism, perimeter play and bench depth. Whoever has HCA wins that series, I think.

Lakers fucked up late in games and OKC beat them, then The Lakers added the best Center in the league, and one of the best offensive PGs in the game.

The leap from Ramon(especially shitty playoff Ramon)/Bynum to Nash/Howard is huge.

I think Lakers get the odds over OKC if they meet in the WCF.

KingGondo

Banned
Lakers fucked up late in games and OKC beat them, then The Lakers added the best Center in the league, and one of the best offensive PGs in the game.

The leap from Ramon(especially shitty playoff Ramon)/Bynum to Nash/Howard is huge.

I think Lakers get the odds over OKC if they meet in the WCF.
Fish was also playing an inordinate number of minutes in that series. Getting Maynor back should help a lot, and will tilt the bench factor way in OKC's favor.

And everyone always forgets how much this team has improved each year because of simple player development. Next year's Thunder should be better, too.

The gameplan will be to attack the rim and try to get Dwight in foul trouble--and in case you haven't noticed, our guys are pretty good at penetrating and drawing fouls.

Blackace

Bench depth? over the Lakers? I am calling it now...just like when Dallas made their run.. Lakers are the deepest team (especially on O) in the league...

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Honestly, I don't think benches amount to shit for championship teams outside of a 6th man quality type player (Manu, Odom, et al). Everybody else is a statistical anomaly.

Blackace

Fish was also playing an inordinate number of minutes in that series. Getting Maynor back should help a lot, and will tilt the bench factor way in OKC's favor.

And everyone always forgets how much this team has improved each year because of simple player development. Next year's Thunder should be better, too.

The gameplan will be to attack the rim and try to get Dwight in foul trouble--and in case you haven't noticed, our guys are pretty good at penetrating and drawing fouls.

Lakers are much longer and will be better in transition then they were last year... They are better in every position but SF and maybe Russ' O VS Nash's D gives them an edge or a wash at PG...

Lakers will have like the worst perimeter D in the league and there's a very real chance Mike Brown completely mismanages Steve Nash's minutes during the regular season and he ends up not having anything left for the playoffs but Dwight dropped 33 on that awful OKC front line the last time they matched up; they're dead unless KD, YNB and Hardon are all completely on fire.

Blackace

Lakers will have like the worst perimeter D in the league and there's a very real chance Mike Brown completely mismanages Steve Nash's minutes during the regular season and he ends up not having anything left for the playoffs but Dwight dropped 33 on that awful OKC front line the last time they matched up; they're dead unless KD, YNB and Hardon are all completely on fire.

D12 going off and then a Nash Pau PnR fest all day

KingGondo

Banned
Honestly, I don't think benches amount to shit for championship teams outside of a 6th man quality type player (Manu, Odom, et al). Everybody else is a statistical anomaly.
It matters if your starting talent is virtually all you have. Lakers fans are touting Antawn Jamison as some kind of savior who will solve all of their bench scoring issues.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom