• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT3| The Barclays Center is covered in rust

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Ray has been in green his whole career don't look right

bud23

Ray put on some muscle

8033953252_0ab4f7969e.jpg

It´s weird to see Ray in Miami,I still remember when I went to one of the first games of the big three, celtics vs Timberwolves at the O2 arena in London by early october 2007.
Time flies,guys.

h3ro

Jay wearing the new Nets jersey:

KV4ag.jpg

xFYom.jpg

They could have at least given him an aunthentic. I'll reserve judgement until they unveil the proper jersey so we can see how it's cut. I really like the simple black/white scheme though.

Also, 3 CHAINZZZ

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Shard was washed up 3 years ago. The idea that hes somehow an asset for the Heat is freaking insane. Not even HGH is saving his ass now.

Shard shot 39% from the field, 24% from three and could barely get minutes on a Wizards' team that went 6-22 when he was playing. The Heat will make the Finals, but Shard will have nothing to do with it.

Nelo Ice

Banned
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--dwight-howard-aiming-to-play-in-lakers--opener.html

Howard is determined to play against the Dallas Mavericks on Oct. 30 at Staples Center, and his progress in recent weeks has strengthened the possibility, sources said.

Howard has privately indicated his back has returned to 85 percent strength, sources said. He had surgery for a herniated disc in April and still needs doctor's clearance to engage in full training-camp activities with the Lakers. Los Angeles opens its training camp Tuesday.

Bsyj9.gif

Ira Winderman
about 23 hours ago
Ray Allen said ankle issue likely will be ongoing throughout the season, something he will have to manage.
He said he never wanted to let on publicly how serious it was last season in Boston.

This does not sound good?
just sit down and heal, old man :(

mhi

Shard shot 39% from the field, 24% from three and could barely get minutes on a Wizards' team that went 6-22 when he was playing. The Heat will make the Finals, but Shard will have nothing to do with it.

Playing next to Lebron will do wonders for his bum ass. I can't see how he could be worse than half-a-Miller or zombie Mike Bibby.

Playing next to Lebron will do wonders for his bum ass. I can't see how he could be worse than half-a-Miller or zombie Mike Bibby.

Miami is going to have zombie Battier and zombie Miller with realistic groaning when they have to run the court holding their backs.

Shard was already infected his last days with ORL, he entered hunter/boomer territory with The Wiz.

Man if Ray is still battling those ankle problems he needs to sit out the beginning of the season. He will be worthless come playoffs again if he pushes himself too hard.

Hollinger posted his new scouting reports for the year, some of them:

Evan Turner

Scouting report
+ Big wing who handles ball well. Average athlete but awesome rebounder for size.
+ Willing defender with good size, but average feet and hands. Doesn't make 3s.
+ Creates midrange shots but rarely gets to rim. Good midrange shooter.

Analysis
Turner took over a starting job last season and played heavy minutes for a team that was a game from the conference finals. As a result, a lot of people are under the mistaken impression that he's good. Offensively, however, he remains a huge negative capable of creating lots of low-percentage shots but few easy ones.

Look at Turner's shot chart and he doesn't seem bad -- he shot 39.4 percent from beyond 10 feet and 66.7 percent at the rim. That's good, right? Indeed, his two-point shooting percentage was above the league average for shooting guards.

But he was dead last in secondary percentage. Turner has one of the lowest free throw rates at his position and never makes 3s, an impossibly inefficient combination that put him fifth from the bottom in true shooting percentage. He's a good passer -- one who tends to make high-value assists -- but not a great one, and his forays inside the 3-point line have a high turnover cost.

So it all looks pretty good while it's happening, but he's actually quietly killing the offense.

The one thing Turner does well is defensive rebound, and I mean he does it phenomenally well. Turner's 22.2 defensive rebound rate not only led all shooting guards, it was quite likely the best of all-time by a guard. Position definitions can be hazy, but a basketball-reference.com search produced nobody in the same zip code -- Jason Kidd's 20.8 in 2006-07 was the best I could do. Turner's mark would have ranked in the top quarter of power forwards and bested a majority of the league's centers; Pau Gasol, Emeka Okafor, Roy Hibbert and Paul Millsap all had worse defensive rebound rates than Turner.

Paul Millsap

Scouting report
+ Undersized, high-energy 4 who can score around basket or hit midrange jumpers.
+ Excellent rebounder with good hands and wide frame. Amazing knack for steals.
+ Size a problem defensively. Good passer. Moves well without ball into openings.

Analysis
Millsap might be the most underrated player in the league. I love this guy. He's not a prototype 4 because he's undersized, but he's athletic, skilled and just knows how to play. He beats smaller players on post-ups, takes bigger ones off the dribble and confounds both with his midrange jump shot.

Last season was his best yet -- he averaged better than a point every two minutes, ranked sixth among power forwards in player efficiency rating, and had he been in the Eastern Conference certainly would have made the All-Star Game. The key is how broad-based his skills are: Millsap was in the top half of power forwards in every category I track except fouls per minute. All of them.

He was in the top quarter of power forwards in rebounds and assists. He got to the line and made his freebies. He made 41.6 percent of his long 2s and 71.6 percent of his shots in the basket area. He didn't turn it over. While he lacks a single defining go-to move, he has such an assortment of options that he can score on nearly anybody; in particular, his ball skills have really improved.

And for an undersized 4, his defense sure doesn't seem to be a problem. He fouls a lot, and that keeps him off the court sometimes. However, the Jazz were once again better with him on the court than off it, while Synergy's stats rated him above the league average for power forwards.

And then there's this little nugget: Millsap averaged 2.25 steals per 40 minutes. To put that in perspective, no other frontcourt player averaged more than 2.0, and no small forward matched Millsap's total either. The top 11 players in steal rate last season were 10 guys 6-4 or shorter -- and Paul Millsap.

Marc Gasol

Scouting report
+ Widebody center who moves surprisingly well for his size. Great feel for high post.
+ Likes to play left block and attack with righty running hook. Unselfish to a fault.
+ Excellent rebounder and defender. Not a leaper, but always in right position on D.

Analysis
The absence of Zach Randolph showcased Gasol's continuing development into a star. He made the All-Star team for the first time and cemented his status as one of the game's best defensive centers. He may not look the part given his floor-bound game, but Gasol is consistently in the right spot, moves well for his size and can body up post players. His Synergy grades were top notch, and the Grizzlies gave up 4.9 points per 100 possessions fewer with him on the court. Moreover, Gasol did this under an unusually heavy minutes burden for a player of his size -- like his brother in L.A., he doesn't foul and is rarely injured, so he's on the court all the time.

Gasol is a great ball handler in the high post, ranking fifth among centers in pure point rating, and he also upped his foul-drawing game. Between that and a strong 74.8 percent mark from the line, he was eighth among centers in secondary percentage.

That offset a decline in field goal percentage, but shot location may have been the cause. Gasol still shot a stellar 68.9 percent at the rim and an equally strong 41.4 percent from beyond 10 feet -- but he had nearly twice as many shots from the latter distance. The season before his shot mix tilted nearly as strongly in the other direction.

Also notable is that Gasol basically doesn't try for offensive rebounds. Only two centers grabbed them less often. He's usually at the high post and opts to get back on defense rather than charging toward the glass.

Some cool stuff.

masud

Banned
Of all the diffrent ways we could have ended up losing in the 2nd round for the next 5 years this one will probably be the most fun to watch. Evey night's gonna be legends night at MSG. This is good stuff for Knick fans...

Westlo

Why shouldn't he? Ray looks like a bitch for what he did imo. You got a ring with these boys, you got paid, they wanted to keep paying you, they showed they can still compete at a high level, got high draft picks, and yet you runnin over to the enemy.

Props to KG.

Yeah Ray's a bitch, not like the Celtics tried to trade him numerous times or anything, not like one of those trades actually went through until the other party got cold feet at the last moment, not like they benched him for Bradley, not like they offered him way less money than the other members of the big 3, not like they were trying to sign Terry even before he committed to the Heat, not like he took less money to play with the Heat, not like he linked up with an old teammate of his from the Sonics or anything, not like he actually has pride.

What a bitch ass Judas.

Ray Allen will be so open in Miami he'll be shooting threes like he's at shoot around. That team is fucking scary. Battier is still going to be there too, right?

zychi

Banned
Jay wearing the new Nets jersey:

They could have at least given him an aunthentic. I'll reserve judgement until they unveil the proper jersey so we can see how it's cut. I really like the simple black/white scheme though.

Also, 3 CHAINZZZ

jay put on some muscle...

Top Bottom