• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT| Tanks for the Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

charsace

Beal is never going to go before Thomas Robinson.

The All-Or-Nothing strategy doesn't work. Ever.

Whether it be through FA or the draft. Praying for one player or one move to save a franchise is just stupid.

Its not all or nothing. I'm just saying that they tanked on a historic scale and put together one of the worse rosters I've ever seen. You don't that for anything less than first place man.

I agree with Dy. That team just needs players.

DJ, Henderson, Biyombo, Thomas, and Maggette are the only NBA players really. And other than the 1st 3, the others won't be long term future.

I'd try to package Kemba with Thomas for a mid-round pick if possible (take back less years in salary too if can). They could probably re-sign DJ cheap after the season he had.

Then maybe package some expirings (like carrol, williams) for even just a role player. Just add competent players.

In football, they'd be doing what the Rams did trading high picks for a lot of 2nd and 3rd rounders and future 1sts. Unfortunately, doesn't work in the NBA. Much harder.

But at least they'll have cap space to make trades if needed, too.
You listed two potential good players a mediocre role player and a completely garbage player in Thomas. With the rest of the roster being worse than Thomas even. They need to get the first pick. Biyombo is the only player on that roster worth keeping. DJ and Kemba are the only ones with trade value. The rest is garbage.

giri

I agree with Dy. That team just needs players.

DJ, Henderson, Biyombo, Thomas, and Maggette are the only NBA players really. And other than the 1st 3, the others won't be long term future.

I'd try to package Kemba with Thomas for a mid-round pick if possible (take back less years in salary too if can). They could probably re-sign DJ cheap after the season he had.

Then maybe package some expirings (like carrol, williams) for even just a role player. Just add competent players.

In football, they'd be doing what the Rams did trading high picks for a lot of 2nd and 3rd rounders and future 1sts. Unfortunately, doesn't work in the NBA. Much harder.

But at least they'll have cap space to make trades if needed, too.

DJ is gone. He's said it several times iirc. And he won't sign a 3 year 8m per offer, iirc.

DJ is gone, they can only hope to S&T him, at best. But i'm not up on the rules for that with the new CBA.

Its not all or nothing. I'm just saying that they tanked on a historic scale and put together one of the worse rosters I've ever seen. You don't that for anything less than first place man.

Of course not, but reality is, anyone they get in the top4 is an upgrade, so it's not a real loss either way.

They just can also not win.

pilonv1

NGD3h.jpg

move it football head!

DJ is gone. He's said it several times iirc. And he won't sign a 3 year 8m per offer, iirc.

DJ is gone, they can only hope to S&T him, at best. But i'm not up on the rules for that with the new CBA.

It's not up to DJ. he's restricted. Ask Gortat, odom, etc.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
DJ is gone. He was wanting 8 mil from the team before the deadline. Cho ain't paying him more than 6.5 imo. Somebody else is going to pony up.
Tanking doesn't hurt anything. We can do it next year, and the year after. Our attendance stayed around 15th-20th until April while peddling out trash. A bad draft only leads to guys that you get the privilege of dealing to the next dumb team.

Unlike FA, where you HAVE to be correct or you get fucked for years.

Even if the Bobcats don't get Davis (I hope they do..Biyombo X Davis would be sweet...defensively), they will get someone to build around.

It will be a direction. and that alone i better than whatever the fuck they are doing now. Will it work? probably not. But hey they have no where to go but up and if they don't...more picks.

win-win. because they can't lose anymore.

Canuck76

Banned
Oh lulz, i forgot that.

Cats can't afford to offer too much for him though, i'd think. Someone else might be dumb enough.

Wonder if portland with put 9mil per out there.

Honestly I'm super worried about what Portland will do. They've said multiple times they want established players and will trade our picks for them. I can see us panicking and trading for Jameer nelson or some crap and putting the franchise back 5 years.

But i would love D.J.

Oh lulz, i forgot that.

Cats can't afford to offer too much for him though, i'd think. Someone else might be dumb enough.

Well, I wouldn't overpay for him. but he had a poor year and remember, salaries are lower this time around. he might see a lower market.

I could totally see him signing a 4 year, $20-30 million deal. Cats can match that. Only got like $46 million committed next season without him (including their #1 pick).

It will be interesting to see the market this season.

DJ is gone. He was wanting 8 mil from the team before the deadline. Cho ain't paying him more than 6.5 imo. Somebody else is going to pony up.

You really think he's getting a 4 year, $35 million deal or something? It's possible, but I think cats have a shot to match an offer-sheet below what he wants.

Then again, some team might overpay just so Cats on't match. And that would be lulz.

DY_nasty

You really think he's getting a 4 year, $35 million deal or something? It's possible, but I think cats have a shot to match an offer-sheet below what he wants.
There's really no point in keeping him.

I'm betting he ends up in Toronto, Portland, or Utah through one means or another.

There's really no point in keeping him.

I'm betting he ends up in Toronto, Portland, or Utah through one means or another.

i don't think Utah signs him, but the other 2 I can definitely see. NJN possible if Deron bolts.

I would agree with you if Kemba was any good. They should trade Kemba and keep DJ is possible.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

DY_nasty

i don't think Utah signs him, but the other 2 I can definitely see. NJN possible if Deron bolts.

I would agree with you if Kemba was any good. They should trade Kemba and keep DJ is possible.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
As much as I hate Kemba, his problems are easily fixed (its probably why I hate Kemba so much).

No point in paying DJ to run a tank though. We need Kemba's minutes high so he can churn out some youtube mixtapes and let us flip him for another 1st along with Mullens aka White Blatche. Besides, paying Henderson is going to come up eventually...

I remember when everyone thought that the Knicks had the best draft in 1996, and all three first round picks turned out to be shit.

That draft destroyed me.

I was such a huge fan of all the NYS college teams in the Big East (Syracuse) and John Wallace, so when the Knicks were able to draft what in theory should've been a hometown hero, I damn near blew up my TV screen.

And then he sucked. Just like Felipe Lopez :(

Emwitus

So,
Today we see what the knicks are made off
We get to see whether the celt's have the heart to make it to the top
OKC lose
Carter turning back the clock and dirk being dirk
And finally, the heat torch the knicks.

What a good day of basketball. Please do not dissapoint.

Eh, and Go celtics! Go mavs!

As much as I hate Kemba, his problems are easily fixed (its probably why I hate Kemba so much).

No point in paying DJ to run a tank though. We need Kemba's minutes high so he can churn out some youtube mixtapes and let us flip him for another 1st along with Mullens aka White Blatche. Besides, paying Henderson is going to come up eventually...

Henderson won't get much more than he's getting now. $5 mil max. At least i hope.

I had Kemba as a bust out of college, so I'm just going to disagree. But yeah, DJ would hurt another year of tanking I suppose. Won't matter if the team is still shit.

Would getting Davis change your mind, though?

Gabyskra

Banned
So, today we see what the knicks are made off
We get to see whether the celt's have the heart to make it to the top
And finally, the heat torch the knicks.

What a good day of basketball. Please do not dissapoint.

Eh, and Go celtics!

Here, I'll give you your first ever response on an nba thread.

There.

You're welcome.

That draft destroyed me.

I was such a huge fan of all the NYS college teams in the Big East (Syracuse) and John Wallace, so when the Knicks were able to draft what in theory should've been a hometown hero, I damn near blew up my TV screen.

And then he sucked. Just like Felipe Lopez :(
Hey, don't be sleeping on Lavor Postell!

DY_nasty

Henderson won't get much more than he's getting now. $5 mil max. At least i hope.

I had Kemba as a bust out of college, so I'm just going to disagree. But yeah, DJ would hurt another year of tanking I suppose. Won't matter if the team is still shit.

Would getting Davis change your mind, though?
I don't expect Davis to come in and drop Blake Griffin numbers. I don't even think he'll win ROTY. He's a project with that frame.

Kemba though... he started off great but he's got rookie Kobe legs and this mental block that you usually only see in quarterbacks. Easy fixes - if they're ever fixed. But w/e, I look forward to his $tat$ next year.

I believed - and will believe until the end of time - that Postell had potential to be a good player in the league.

To this day, my father and my brother troll me as a direct result of believing that.

Oh lulz, i forgot that.

My rule of thumb is never pay for a starter of the worst basketball team in history. Much less overpay. DJ is an enigma. Can't tell if he sucks just a little less than the rest of the team or he's a good player stuck in a bad situation.

I will eat my hat if the Blazers sign him 9 mil. I'm looking at 5-6 million due to injuries.

DY_nasty

DJ didn't give one fuck this year. I wouldn't use stats to judge anyone on the team though really... the overall product was just abysmal. They loved Silas too much to streetball it and Silas was obviously senile judging from his interviews.

DJ was definitely better this year than last though. Can't throw an alley to save his life and his mid-range game is still non-existant, but he was much improved over last year.
Bosh will be playing tonight but he's not even at the arena yet. Sure is cutting it close.
Eddy Curry gonna show up and twist dat knife

Gabyskra

Banned
In fairness, their record is overblown. They intentionally started tanking by midseason.

I'm sorry, but they had no point in losing so many games. They could have won 10 extra games, and they still would have gotten the same lottery odds.

Plus, whether you want to lose or not, I fail to see how that makes you better. You actually want to lose? Then you're that bad.

Augustin now has 2 seasons out of 4 where he shot under 39%. Nice.

DY_nasty

How can you not want a midget that is a liability on defense and shoots 37% from the field playing for the worst team in NBA history?
And still beat the Knicks lolz

But the team shot terrible as a whole because they only had one guy who could be called an offensive threat - him. Stop him, stop the entire team. It was simple. Bobcats never won a game where he didn't play. And its arguable that DJ played with nothing but D-league talent all year long outside of Henderson (who at one point this year was assisted on 58% of his FGs). He beat Toronto 1 on 5 twice basically... he's no all-star, sure, but underneath the wrap of shit, he's by far the most underrated PG in the league.
Naw. That game with Miami started it. After that, we began starting Diop and DJ White got his first taste of shower time.

DY_nasty

Says the guy who does not put any stock in Goran Dragic.

Dragic still isn't that good imo

He put up great late season tank stats one year when he's looked like ass for the majority of his career. That makes him a shitty PG version of Garbagnani.

Yeah...

I don't know if this is actually true dude.

I think they were actually that bad.
That Corey Maggette intentional pass to the other team plus Tyrus going after Silas... that team didn't care after the 1st 20-30 games. They were like "hey we'll play close of the other team wants to sleepwalk through the game but we don't give a fuck". Only Kemba, DJ (to some extent), Bismack, and Byron Mullens tried to play day in and day out. I don't know what the fuck happened to Gerald Henderson, but he regressed bigtime. Diaw CLEARLY didn't give a fuck.

He put up great late season tank stats one year when he's looked like ass for the majority of his career. That makes him a shitty PG version of Garbagnani.
d-m-c.gif

the fuck?

And still beat the Knicks lolz

But the team shot terrible as a whole because they only had one guy who could be called an offensive threat - him. Stop him, stop the entire team. It was simple. Bobcats never won a game where he didn't play. And its arguable that DJ played with nothing but D-league talent all year long outside of Henderson (who at one point this year was assisted on 58% of his FGs). He beat Toronto 1 on 5 twice basically... he's no all-star, sure, but underneath the wrap of shit, he's by far the most underrated PG in the league.

Naw. That game with Miami started it. After that, we began starting Diop and DJ White got his first taste of shower time.

GmSWR.gif

Gabyskra

Banned

Yeah, shitty, like over 8 assists per game, insane shooting stats and an actual run to get a playoff spot... Your definition of tanking, when you overrate the worst shooting PG in a decade who has the ball in his hands all the time and still manages to get less than 12 and 7 on the crappiest team.

I mean, Rafer Alston pretty much was in that situation with the Raptors and he sucked ass, but he would get numbers that DJ does not get.

Omega

Banned
Bosh will be playing tonight but he's not even at the arena yet. Sure is cutting it close.

It's the Knicks. He'll realize that on his way to the Garden and just decide to go do something else.

Tanking is beyond foolish and I doubt the Bobcats tanked. They're just that bad. The worst team in the league has gotten the #1 pick four times in 26 years. One could argue the fix was in to get LeBron on Cleveland.

It's just not smart. I think the worst team has gotten the number 4 pick the most amount of times as well.

giri

Goran will be a top10 PG if he can get the minutes.

Mark my words!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom