• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT| Tanks for the Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
We all know the Hornets have already won the pick, but the Bobcats will enjoy many years of Sullinger with the third overall pick.
I'm so sorry Charlotte

Deadspin has a huge story on the Sonics from an employee insider.

http://deadspin.com/5907371/

Reading through it now.

Schultz nugget right here

One story of Schultz's cheapness is famous among his former staff. The Sonics' previous owner, Barry Ackerley, had bought holiday gifts each year for the folks in the front office. When Schultz's group took over, the custom died. Rightly or wrongly, some of the employees groused that no gesture had been made to them. According to an employee at the time, another of the team's new owners, Richard Tait, the co-creator of Cranium, heard about the complaints and subsequently gave out copies of his popular board game. Not to be outdone, Schultz followed suit. He gave each employee a Starbucks gift card. One member of the staff—who wasn't a Starbucks regular—decided to use his card to get some snacks. When he went to pay for his roughly five dollars' worth of food, he asked how much money remained on the card.

"Well, you owe me money," the cashier said.

The Sonics employee asked how much had been on the card to being with.

"$3.50," the barista replied.

At the time, we would later learn, ordinary customers couldn't buy a Starbucks card with a value of less than $5. These were custom $3.50 gift cards.

(It would happen again. It became something of franchise lore that when the Storm won the WNBA title in 2004, the players—the first team to win any sort of championship for Seattle since the 1978-79 Sonics—also got cards that could barely cover a Starbucks coffee.)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I kinda want to see them take 10th pick. What are the chances of that?

6O3RV.png

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
His flop performance knocks out anyone.

Duly noted. Then which NBA teams got the 4th pick as the worst team?

I don't believe any team with the worst record has picked outside of the top 3 if they held a pick. Orlando (Hardaway) and Chicago (Rose) won the lottery with under a 2% chance. Raptors (1995) and the Grizzlies (1998) won the lottery, but in their agreements as expansion teams, they would not be able to actually win the first overall pick for the first three years. What a terrible idea that was.

Meier

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/03/sport...lona-best-paid/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

WOw. Soccer players get paid..........dang. Lakers at number 5......woo woo! :( My life sucks.

Keep in mind that most every developed country in the world has 3-4 levels of pro soccer. You have to be absolutely one of the best in the world to play for those listed teams.. most of them aren't making shit in comparison to pros here in the US. Most all of the major clubs are heavily in debt too which is somewhat surprising. You can be an absolute scrub in the US in many pro sports and make millions. There are only 9 guys in the MLS making over $1 million.

One thing that's worth noting though is soccer contracts are heavily incentive laden outside of the US. Most players have a set weekly salary but they also get additional wages per match and usually per goal, assist, clean sheet, etc.

charsace

Barnes has a better chance of going 12th than 4th.

It's 100% impossible. Only top 3 picks are determined by lottery then the rest goes by record so the Bobcats can get 4th at worst.
The hype for Barnes was crazy. Even on here guys were telling me he was going top 5 no matter how much I pointed out that he was mediocre at best.

Canuck76

Banned
Interesting tidbits from that Sonics deadspin article

"On the flight home from New York after the NBA confirmed his takeover of the team, he sat with Wally Walker, the former player and Goldman Sachs man who, as the team's GM, had just brokered the deal. Schultz turned to Walker and said in all sincerity, "OK, now we need to get Garnett"—as if he could decree such a thing and it would simply be so."

"At the All-Star Game in 2002, he announced to an assembled group of owners that he'd have a ring when they saw him the following year. This was the uninspiring era of the Gary Payton-Vin Baker-Brent Barry Sonics, remember. Philadelphia 76ers president Pat Croce responded that in a year Schultz wouldn't have a ring and he'd be $20 million poorer."

I remember when everyone thought that the Knicks had the best draft in 1996, and all three first round picks turned out to be shit.
Knicks during those days never nutured/played rookies. It's a miracle Charlie Ward became any good at all.

John Wallace was immature as shit, Walter McCarty never could get burn and John Thomas... LOL

LJ IN DA HOUSE!

charsace

And he's still top 5. Sooooooooo....?

That means this draft is pretty weak in regards to star power. Because Barnes looks like a roleplayer to me. MKG has some potential, but he's transitioning from being a post player to perimeter player. If your Bobcats don't get The Brow you're screwed. Or they could do the smart thing and take Lamb from Uconn. Brow, MKG, Lamb and Drummond are the guys that have the most star potential. The rest are projects and roleplayers IMO. Ross has a small chance of being an allstar player too.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
That means this draft is pretty weak in regards to star power. Because Barnes looks like a roleplayer to me. MKG has some potential, but he's transitioning from being a post player to perimeter player. If your Bobcats don't get The Brow you're screwed.
Not really.

I don't know how many times I've said it, but the team doesn't even have 5 real NBA players - as long as we get someone with enough upside to sell to the next team for a profit, its a win. This tanking shit ain't a one year process.

That means this draft is pretty weak in regards to star power. Because Barnes looks like a roleplayer to me. MKG has some potential, but he's transitioning from being a post player to perimeter player. If your Bobcats don't get The Brow you're screwed.
Now MKG brings toughness and intensity, those are things the Bobcats sorely need. If they nab him it's not a loss IMHO.

But Bobcats will get Harrison Barnes as a result of their shameful and obvious tanking. IT WILL BE SO.

charsace

Not really.

I don't know how many times I've said it, but the team doesn't even have 5 real NBA players - as long as we get someone with enough upside to sell to the next team for a profit, its a win. This tanking shit ain't a one year process.

The Bobcats can't afford to suck as bad as they have and end up with a roleplayer. Next year's draft looks even weaker than this one.

DY_nasty

The Bobcats can't afford to suck as bad as they have and end up with a roleplayer. Next year's draft looks even weaker than this one.
Role player?

Gerald Henderson is a role player and dude looked like the main attraction for the team most nights. Kemba fucking sucks - but because he'll make the all rookie 2nd team, he'll have some dumbass GM give up a pick for him like he's the next Johnny Flynn. A role player is fine. The roster is THAT fucking bad and empty.

And next year we get to tank for SHABAZZDAGOAT

charsace

Role player?

Gerald Henderson is a role player and dude looked like the main attraction for the team most nights. Kemba fucking sucks - but because he'll make the all rookie 2nd team, he'll have some dumbass GM give up a pick for him like he's the next Johnny Flynn. A role player is fine. The roster is THAT fucking bad and empty.

And next year we get to tank for SHABAZZDAGOAT
More tank, this time for an undersized 3. There's no prospect better than Davis this draft and the next so bobcats need the 1st pick to start the rebuild off right. Or they will end up with someone like Barnes then next year draft a bad attitude guy like Shabazz.

DY_nasty

Beal is never going to go before Thomas Robinson.
More tank, this time for an undersized 3. There's no prospect better than Davis this draft and the next so bobcats need the 1st pick to start the rebuild off right. Or they will end up with someone like Barnes then next year draft a bad attitude guy like Shabazz.
The All-Or-Nothing strategy doesn't work. Ever.

Whether it be through FA or the draft. Praying for one player or one move to save a franchise is just stupid.

I agree with Dy. That team just needs players.

DJ, Henderson, Biyombo, Thomas, and Maggette are the only NBA players really. And other than the 1st 3, the others won't be long term future.

I'd try to package Kemba with Thomas for a mid-round pick if possible (take back less years in salary too if can). They could probably re-sign DJ cheap after the season he had.

Then maybe package some expirings (like carrol, williams) for even just a role player. Just add competent players.

In football, they'd be doing what the Rams did trading high picks for a lot of 2nd and 3rd rounders and future 1sts. Unfortunately, doesn't work in the NBA. Much harder.

But at least they'll have cap space to make trades if needed, too.

Canuck76

Banned
Beal is never going to go before Thomas Robinson.

The All-Or-Nothing strategy doesn't work. Ever.

Whether it be through FA or the draft. Praying for one player or one move to save a franchise is just stupid.

Oh i forgot about Robinson. So it would be almost impossible for the Bobcats to screw up with that pick.

It would have to be sabotage at that point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom