• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT| Tanks for the Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

giri

I have trouble understanding how Dwight deals with it... It seems like every other possession Dwight is beating his man down the court and establishing deep position then not seeing the ball. And on any given possession, Dwight will seal off his man multiple times as Orlando moves the ball along the perimeter. At first it makes you angry, then you wonder what kind of man Dwight is for putting up with that kind of stuff, then you just laugh.

It is comical.

Especially when their best post passed is JJ Redick.

The really good pg's who can pass, deron, rondon, cp3, nash, are also really good post passers (well, i know rondo and nash are... for a fact).

I'd be really interested to see what dwights numbers would be with one of them. It would either make or break his legacy.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It is comical.

Especially when their best post passed is JJ Redick.

The really good pg's who can pass, deron, rondon, cp3, nash, are also really good post passers (well, i know rondo and nash are... for a fact).

I'd be really interested to see what dwights numbers would be with one of them. It would either make or break his legacy.
Its why I hope Deron ends up with Dwight some kind of way.

Dude made Boozer look like an all-star.

Cp3 can entry post pass well, Deron is also great at it.

It's not that important that the PG can do it so long as at least 2 guys can do it. And often the PG is a bit short for it.

I get that it's harder now. the old illegal D made it illegal to double or zone prior to the pass so fronting was stupid and basically there wasn't much resistance to get it in. But still, today's players are just inept at it. Some of the angles they take make no sense. And i don't get, like in the case of Dwight, how they can't just get it in there when he seals his man.

Atlanta beat Orlando last season playing Jason Collins on him. They literally just dared Orlando to give Dwight the ball 40 times and they couldn't do it. They didn't care if Dwight got 25 points 1 on 1. If they could entry-post pass, Dwight would have averaged 40.

Hakeem would have choked a Magic if he were on that team.

One reason players struggle at it is they don't utilize the pass fake at all. They just hold the ball over their head telegraphing where they want to go while their man just waves their arms on them. If they would just sometimes fake a bounce pass or a swing pass, they'd create an open view.

To compensate, they'll do something like throw it further and either draw out their teammate forcing him away fro the basket or push him too far to the baseline to grab the ball, ruining everything.

Then again, with howard, he can be unguarded under the basket and the magic will still miss him for 2-3 seconds. Shit is so comical. I'd be grey if I was a Magic fan, I bet.

giri

Cp3 can entry post pass well, Deron is also great at it.

It's not that important that the PG can do it so long as at least 2 guys can do it. And often the PG is a bit short for it.

I get that it's harder now. the old illegal D made it illegal to double or zone prior to the pass so fronting was stupid and basically there wasn't much resistance to get it in. But still, today's players are just inept at it. Some of the angles they take make no sense. And i don't get, like in the case of Dwight, how they can't just get it in there when he seals his man.

Atlanta beat Orlando last season playing Jason Collins on him. They literally just dared Orlando to give Dwight the ball 40 times and they couldn't do it. They didn't care if Dwight got 25 points 1 on 1. If they could entry-post pass, Dwight would have averaged 40.

Hakeem would have choked a Magic if he were on that team.

One reason players struggle at it is they don't utilize the pass fake at all. They just hold the ball over their head telegraphing where they want to go while their man just waves their arms on them. If they would just sometimes fake a bounce pass or a swing pass, they'd create an open view.

To compensate, they'll do something like throw it further and either draw out their teammate forcing him away fro the basket or push him too far to the baseline to grab the ball, ruining everything.

Then again, with howard, he can be unguarded under the basket and the magic will still miss him for 2-3 seconds. Shit is so comical. I'd be grey if I was a Magic fan, I bet.

Thats why rondo in particular is great at it. He never telegraphs it. Better than most at hiding the target of the current play / pass.

I remember that atlanta series, dwight had 50? or something points before the half. they scored 80 to finish the game. Part of it is on the insane minutes that SVG runs howard for (literally ran him until injured). The other was orlando chucking 3's in the second half and dwight not demanding the ball.

I wonder if the NBA would suspend dwight if he punched jameer out running down the floor to get back on D.

Alrix

stat-o.gif

Missed the last three quarters of the Nuggets game, it looks McGee went into contract series beast mode going by the boxscore, is that true and did anything else interesting happen in the last few quarters?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
He sabotaged D'Antoni and liked Mike Woodson for focusing more offensive attention on him....too bad Woodson is also going to be on his way out

D'Antoni sabotaged himself with an offensive strategy that never worked for this team. A strategy that nearly every team figured out how to effectively stop and turn around in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. Woodson changed the entire defensive culture and mentality of the team overnight.

If anyone is to blame for this team's problems it's Dolan for giving Amare a max contract deal. He's done more harm than good to this team the entire season - and the only time he did us any good was when he was injured. Missing two of the most pivotal players also tends to shit things up quite a lot, with Lin and Shump out.

Actually you can go ahead and blame Dolan for the entire clusterfuck. But are you blaming him for the the Stoudemire signing? i don't know about you but when that happened in here hunter was screaming "WE FINALLY GOT AN ALL PRO POWER FORWARD!!!" while everyone else was saying "uninsured knees, he won't last half that deal"

shump being out sucks but Lin was only going to add to the turnover total

DY_nasty

Shumpert has quickly become one of the most overrated players in Knick history....

How is his Kemba-esque shooting supposed to help anything? And Lin doesn't matter either. He got embarrassed by Miami with one of the worst showings ever. How is he supposed to help?

Woodson didn't change anything. The team gave up because they couldn't win shit and the writing was on the wall. A new coach comes along and all of a sudden the team is reinvigorated with all of that fresh, unused giveafuck. The offense was better with D'Antoni. At least there was a thin veil of disguise over the PASS TO MELO offense they've got going now.

h3ro

If the knicks didn't exist to unite you all as a point of convergence for your hate, everyone in this thread would be banned in minutes in some animu-loli pony mass suicide.

knicks-age is the hero that GAF deserves.

Dy, don't feel things over our hype on Shumps, you know you'd love to get that way about Kemba or Barnes.

Shumpert has quickly become one of the most overrated players in Knick history....

How is his Kemba-esque shooting supposed to help anything? And Lin doesn't matter either. He got embarrassed by Miami with one of the worst showings ever. How is he supposed to help?

Woodson didn't change anything. The team gave up because they couldn't win shit and the writing was on the wall. A new coach comes along and all of a sudden the team is reinvigorated with all of that fresh, unused giveafuck. The offense was better with D'Antoni. At least there was a thin veil of disguise over the PASS TO MELO offense they've got going now.

Shumps may be overrated by Knicks fans but the kid has been highly impressive defensively. Especially as a rookie. Even you can't hate on that.

DY_nasty

Dy, don't feel things over our hype on Shumps, you know you'd love to get that way about Kemba or Barnes.
Trade you Kemba for a 2033 1st round pick.

You get someone to chuck up more bad shots and mesh with the lookloston offense and we get to build around Baby Bosh.

DY_nasty

Shumps may be overrated by Knicks fans but the kid has been highly impressive defensively. Especially as a rookie. Even you can't hate on that.
I'm not hating on him, but other than his defense (which is very good) he is fucking terrible. He's as good on defense as a focused/non-cheesing JR - but half the player offensively.

And he ain't doin shit with playoff Wade anyway so what does it matter? This Knicks team could be completely healthy and they'd still get swept.

h3ro

This Knicks team could be completely healthy and they'd still get swept.

I agree. This season, yeah, I mean, which team could execute worth a damn after seeing that 4th quarter in Game 3. Heat are firing on all cylinders right now and this Knick team (as presently constituted), even if healthy, can't match that.

Also, why so much hate for the undeveloped offensive game of a rookie? He makes bad decisions left and right on the offensive side and has a terrible time finishing at the rim. But the talent is there to become a really good 2 in a couple seasons.

hi adam :3

Alrix

I agree. This season, yeah, I mean, which team could execute worth a damn after seeing that 4th quarter in Game 3. Heat are firing on all cylinders right now and this Knick team (as presently constituted), even if healthy, can't match that.

Also, why so much hate for the undeveloped offensive game of a rookie? He makes bad decisions left and right on the offensive side and has a terrible time finishing at the rim. But the talent is there to become a really good 2 in a couple seasons.

hi adam :3

If we're healthy I think we can at least make it a series, I don't think we'd get swept. Too many if's to end this season though. Who knows how hot we would have gotten if Lin and Amar'e never went down, those 7-8 games when we were totally healthy under Woody we were playing fucking awesome. Lin's turnovers were down, Amare was kinda trying on defense and starting to get his legs back, Carmelo hadn't woken up yet but he was still playing pretty well overall outside of his scoring.

Sucks though. Not the end of the world. I'm excited for Lin and Shump's development next season.

DY_nasty

You guys know how I am by now.

Its not like I hate on certain players or have any strange biases like that. The guy just is way behind the curve when it comes to offense. He has the benefit of working the wings on one of the most spaced out courts in the league and the bonus of having the attention go to several different high-profile guys before it ever gets to him - he should be able to do a lot of things that most rookies never get the opportunity to even try to do. He can't shoot in a system where nearly every defense he meets will rotate off of him, he can't drive even while most defenses won't want to rotate to help, he makes poor decisions when every decision is an easy one, he can't recognize gaps on the floor, his ball handling for a guy with his size and ability is a letdown to a point where it prevents his athleticism from having the effect it should...

He's got the potential, sure, but he's got a lot more deficiencies than people want to seem to admit. I still think that defensively, he's on the same level as Chris Singleton with less versatility than Kawhi Leonard. That's not a knock at all. Those are all damned good defensive players for rookies. Its just that the Garden Mystique is making this guy look like a more than he really is - as I stated as soon as he was drafted, and during preseason.

SHUMPSDAGOD

I actually like him.
If we're healthy I think we can at least make it a series, I don't think we'd get swept. Too many if's to end this season though. Who knows how hot we would have gotten if Lin and Amar'e never went down, those 7-8 games when we were totally healthy under Woody we were playing fucking awesome. Lin's turnovers were down, Amare was kinda trying on defense and starting to get his legs back, Carmelo hadn't woken up yet but he was still playing pretty well overall outside of his scoring.

Sucks though. Not the end of the world. I'm excited for Lin and Shump's development next season.
Pre-Tank Bobcats played a better game against the Heat than the Knicks did all year.

#realtalk

DY_nasty

How do you know that picture wasn't taken last year? Or the year before that? Or the year before that? Or the year before that?

dream

haha, I get it, because Just Enough To Get Bynum is injury prone and he could have been legitimately parking in handicapped spots at several points over the past few years haha

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This place is almost as dead as the Magic fans right now.

Thankfully at least the players aren't conceding defeat today like the arena is.

DY_nasty

haha, I get it, because Just Enough To Get Bynum is injury prone and he could have been legitimately parking in handicapped spots at several points over the past few years haha
Knicks still winless doe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom