• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT2| OKC VS LA: Black on Black Crime

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Lots of teams aren't disciplined and the Spurs don't beat themselves - the clippers and jazz do though. Also, you need a big who can guard Timmy one on one, and a pg who can guard Tony, and a combination that can play the PnR. If you have that, you can stay at home on shooters and not be forced to help. The Thunder have that and their big 3 is more explosive, more athletic, and more dangerous than the Spurs big 3.

Letting Duncan/Tony/Ginobli try to beat you and staying at home on everyone else would kill most teams because those 3 could beat you 4 games out of 7 - but they're not beating the big 3 of the Thunder and that's why this strategy works.
spurs don't play big 3 ball. If their offense starts clicking, it doesn't matter who is on the court. They roll.

Okc isn't that kind of team.

yeah because clippers and jazz are awesome

Spurs will have trouble with raw power like okc. Its far from an easy series. I never said sa would lose either

Raw power? Their bigs are trash. Their bench is trash. Their coach is trash. Our strengths are their weaknesses (we don't foul, we have great transition defense, etc).

Pop has a week but he won't even need it. He figured out this OKC team long ago. I saw G-Hill MVP demolish Durant when he was with us. Expect smaller, quick defenders to guard him and deny him the ball. They don't have the passers to free him.

Everyone is going to be shocked at how easy we'll make it look, but they shouldn't be.

OKCSEA52112.jpg

:lol

run-away-o.gif

Raw power? Their bigs are trash. Their bench is trash. Their coach is trash. Our strengths are their weaknesses (we don't foul, we have great transition defense, etc).

Pop has a week but he won't even need it. He figured out this OKC team long ago. I saw G-Hill MVP demolish Durant when he was with us. Expect smaller, quick defenders to guard him and deny him the ball. They don't have the passers to free him.

Everyone is going to be shocked at how easy we'll make it look, but they shouldn't be.

Awesome evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=846E4rnwOCI

Sorry but that's bullshit. The idea that you can't trade Pau or Bynum right now and not get screwed is shit. 75% of the owners and GMs in this league are morons. Even if they played like crap, Pau and Bynum still have value around the league. They might not net you a superstar in return, but you can get pieces that can give you depth, and more cap flexibility moving forward.

No. 75% of the players in this over-expanded league are garbage, and the 25% that are any good, no one is going to give them up to the Lakers of all teams. Trading away your big men...when there simply aren't many big men of quality.....in the hopes of finding some diamond in the rough is lunacy. At best you're subtracting from one of your strong traits even if you improve at one of your weak ones. Its a wash.

The Lakers don't run. They don't get easy baskets. They don't feed their big men the ball in positions to score. They walk the ball up and telegraph their intentions to the defense. Whereas OKC got the ball and bee-lined straight to the hoop. Easy opportunities time and again that neutralized the size advantage. So damnit, put Goudelock (sp?) and Sessions in the game, and let them run. Keep a big guy back on D. The Lakers are better served by playing fundamental basketball than they are by blowing up the team and hoping they get lucky with someone else's refuse.

Vahagn

spurs don't play big 3 ball. If their offense starts clicking, it doesn't matter who is on the court. They roll.

Okc isn't that kind of team.

They don't because they're not forced too. Teams lose track of the role players, overhelp on Tony drives and Timmy postups and their ball movement is incredible. the way for this OkC team to beat the Spurs is the strategy the Celtics used against the Magic a couple years back. Stay at home on the shooters, defend their bigs 1on1 (Ibaka and Perkins can) and don't overhelp on the PnR.

If Westbrook/Safalosha/Harden/Durant take turns guarding Tony and Manu you won't need to double and can force the Spurs to play big 3 ball because the Spurs don't have a clear matchup advantage (Perkins and Ibaka are the perfect duo against Duncan).

Edit: and you just saw how easily Durant took apart the Lakers who had 2 7 footers and Artest guarding him...he will tear apart the Spurs.

OKC is a much more suited playoff team than the Spurs - we'll see how badly Pop out coaches Brooks though

No. 75% of the players in this over-expanded league are garbage, and the 25% that are any good, no one is going to give them up to the Lakers of all teams. Trading away your big men...when there simply aren't many big men of quality.....in the hopes of finding some diamond in the rough is lunacy. At best you're subtracting from one of your strong traits even if you improve at one of your weak ones. Its a wash.

The Lakers don't run. They don't get easy baskets. They don't feed their big men the ball in positions to score. They walk the ball up and telegraph their intentions to the defense. Whereas OKC got the ball and bee-lined straight to the hoop. Easy opportunities time and again that neutralized the size advantage. So damnit, put Goudelock (sp?) and Sessions in the game, and let them run. Keep a big guy back on D. The Lakers are better served by playing fundamental basketball than they are by blowing up the team and hoping they get lucky with someone else's refuse.

the Kobe/Pau/Bynum trio is only going to get worse. You might as well pull the plug on it now. My plan would be to keep Pau, but trade Bynum. His value is high (higher than you give credit for. He just had a full, HEALTHY, really good season. If you don't think GMs will want him you are crazy) but don't add any long term contracts. And especially don't give one to Bynum. Let this current era run its course with Kobe and Pau's contracts expiring together.

And the size advantage is no longer a strong trait. Not when Bynum only rebounds when he wants to, Pau doesn't show up half the time and Kobe is too aged to be the sole playmaker in the backcourt. People need to stop giving me this "You can't trade away our size advantage" shit when it's not that big of an advantage anymore.

Vahagn

The Spurs aren't coached by Stan.

As brilliant as Pop is, he can't change who they are...if the Thunder stay at home on the 3 point shooters and force the big 3 try to out duel the Thunder big 3 (who are also better defenders) they have a great chance.

DY_nasty

They don't because they're not forced too. Teams lose track of the role players, overhelp on Tony drives and Timmy postups and their ball movement is incredible. the way for this OkC team to beat the Spurs is the strategy the Celtics used against the Magic a couple years back. Stay at home on the shooters, defend their bigs 1on1 (Ibaka and Perkins can) and don't overhelp on the PnR.

If Westbrook/Safalosha/Harden/Durant take turns guarding Tony and Manu you won't need to double and can force the Spurs to play big 3 ball because the Spurs don't have a clear matchup advantage (Perkins and Ibaka are the perfect duo against Duncan).

Edit: and you just saw how easily Durant took apart the Lakers who had 2 7 footers and Artest guarding him...he will tear apart the Spurs.

OKC is a much more suited playoff team than the Spurs - we'll see how badly Pop out coaches Brooks though
The spurs don't succeed off of waiting for teams to double. I don't even...

And LAs defense really is one dimensional. They can guard one kind of attack. Thats it. Their 7 footers aren't even consistently active and artest is a liability on O so his defense is moot.

It's not that simple. The Spurs have an intricate offense. Saying stuff like, "All you have to do is stay at home on the shooters," is easier said than done. I'm sure Utah and Clippers didn't try to do the same thing.

demigod

Keep Pau? He's been playing like ass since last year's playoffs. I would get rid of his ass along with Bynum and get someone that wants to win a championship. The only 3 players that put effort into winning was Kobe, Ron and Blake.

DY_nasty

And I'd never compare Orlando's offense to SA's.

They aren't similar at all. And even if they were, OKC lacks the personnel to mimic that strategy.

Vahagn

I don't think run and gun small ball gets it done in the playoffs...that's the Spurs best strategy and their biggest strength. The Thunder have great defense in all 5 positions, a scorer/playmaker coming off the bench that's the best in that role league-wide, a clutch late game performer or two, phsycial defenders that can wear you down and a more unstoppable superstar.

So yes, I think their team is more suited for playoff success

Edit: tell me one clear matchup advantage the Spurs have besides Duncan? (who will go up against 2 of the top 5 defensive bigs in the league this series)?

the way for this OkC team to beat the Spurs is the strategy the Celtics used against the Magic a couple years back. .

This is the dumbest false equivalency I've read on here in quite some time;

i mean, you literally just made this comparison on the basis that both teams shoot a lot of threes and swept the first two rounds while ignoring every other variable

DY_nasty

I don't think run and gun small ball gets it done in the playoffs...that's the Spurs best strategy and their biggest strength. The Thunder have great defense in all 5 positions, a scorer/playmaker coming off the bench that's the best in that role league-wide, a clutch late game performer or two, phsycial defenders that can wear you down and a more unstoppable superstar.

spurs play run and gun?

You sound like Mamba back in January before he got that 20 piece of crow.

Edit: tell me one clear matchup advantage the Spurs have besides Duncan? (who will go up against 2 of the top 5 defensive bigs in the league this series)?

The Spurs have a better bench. They have a better coach. This is inarguable. Westbrook and Parker will probably be a wash. Duncan is better than Ibaka or Perkins.

DY_nasty

This is the dumbest false equivalency I've read on here in quite some time;

i mean, you literally just made this comparison on the basis that both teams shoot a lot of threes and swept the first two rounds while ignoring every other variable
Yeah... I don't see it.

Vahagn

spurs play run and gun?

Against the Thunder? Who are literally bigger, stronger, and more athletic at every single position? Yes Small ball is their best strategy and their bench is their advantage, but their bench has Manu who will be outplayed by Harden, Stephen Jackson who can be defended by Safalosha or Durant easily, and a 3 point shooters.

What the Spurs do is draw double teams in PnR and Timmy post ups and the swing the ball for a great shot but OkC has the defensive personnell too avoid double teaming Parker or Timmy. You really think Danny Green is going off on Safalosha or Leonard is going off on Durant?

And of they DON'T double and force the SA big 3 to beat the OKC big 3, that's not happening.

Again this is all based on the strategy that OKc doesn't double and plays everyone straight up (Like Boston against Orlando)...they have a great shot.

Perkins is going to be in foul trouble half the games and Ibaka will get tore up in the pick n roll. Our rebounding will dominate either, and that will be a major difference in the series. Their bench bigs in particular simply can't keep up. Nazr (love him to death) and Collison will get exposed.

There will be a lot of Duncan iso. An antsy OKC team will eventually double once Timmy gets a couple easy ones in a row, and it'll be downhill from there.

I don't think run and gun small ball gets it done in the playoffs...that's the Spurs best strategy and their biggest strength.

Dude you haven't even been watching us, have you?

balddemon

Banned
Sometimes I don't know about you Vahagn.

But what I do know is that I like your avatar :)

lolol i made it. gosh i love pointing that out every once in a while

Vahagn

Perkins is going to be in foul trouble half the games and Ibaka will get tore up in the pick n roll. Our rebounding will dominate either, and that will be a major difference in the series. Their bench bigs in particular simply can't keep up. Nazr (love him to death) and Collison will get exposed.

There will be a lot of Duncan iso. An antsy OKC team will eventually double once Timmy gets a couple easy ones in a row, and it'll be downhill from there.

Dude you haven't even been watching us, have you?

So you agree with me on what OKC should and shouldn't do, and what Spurs need/want them to do...I guess I've been watching them just as much as you buddy.

Bottom Line, OKC has the personnell defensively to play everyone straight up, stay home on the shooters, and force the big 3 to try to outplay the Thunder big 3. If they don't play disciplined, start scrambling all over the place and let SA get their open 3's they'll lose.

I think OKC is disciplined enough, smart enough, and poised enough to win this series in 6 games. Book it!

DY_nasty

Against the Thunder? Who are literally bigger, stronger, and more athletic at every single position? Yes Small ball is their best strategy and their bench is their advantage, but their bench has Manu who will be outplayed by Harden, Stephen Jackson who can be defended by Safalosha or Durant easily, and a 3 point shooters.

What the Spurs do is draw double teams in PnR and Timmy post ups and the swing the ball for a great shot but OkC has the defensive personnell top avoid double teaming Parker or Timmy. You really think Danny Green is going off on Safalosha or Leonard is going off on Durant?
3 things

I already said the spurs are going to have issues with okcs upfront talent. Harden being the bigger threat.

Small ball is not the key to the spurs success and they don't rely on a simple pnr game by any means. Yes, TPs penetration is a big part of it, but their spacing and off ball movement is the best the league has seen in years. Its not dependent on one guy or even the ballhandler. Its great and they don't even have sets where any guy is truly one dimensional or not a threat. Its an essentially flawless offense.

And lastly, why are you comparing the spurs bench to okcs starters? Okc has a bench too. And it sucks. Westbrook is going back to worstbrook. Pop just made the best point guard in the game look unimpressive - YNB is gonna look terrible. Spurs wrote the book on defending KD too. Its all on Harden

So you agree with me on what OKC should and shouldn't do, and what Spurs need/want them to do...I guess I've been watching them just as much as you buddy

What? I don't agree with anything that you've said. Our big 3 is better than their big 3. But regardless, its not like OKC has a choice. What, you want Collison, Nazr, Perkins, and Ibaka on Duncan full time? Good luck buddy. Its gonna be murda no matter what they do. Even if Scott Brooks was smart enough to find it, there is no "adjustment" they could make here.

Theres a freight train headed their way and they are tied to the tracks. Write your obituaries now, because this one will be over quick.

DY_nasty

You can't just "stay home" on the Spurs.

Their 3pt shooting isn't even the primary issue. Its just a byproduct of easy buckets mindfucking entire teams before halftime.

Vahagn

3 things

I already said the spurs are going to have issues with okcs upfront talent. Harden being the bigger threat.

Small ball is not the key to the spurs success and they don't rely on a simple pnr game by any means. Yes, TPs penetration is a big part of it, but their spacing and off ball movement is the best the league has seen in years. Its not dependent on one guy or even the ballhandler. Its great and they don't even have sets where any guy is truly one dimensional or not a threat. Its an essentially flawless offense.

And lastly, why are you comparing the spurs bench to okcs starters? Okc has a bench too. And it sucks. Westbrook is going back to worstbrook. Pop just made the best point guard in the game look unimpressive - YNB is gonna look terrible. Spurs wrote the book on defending KD too. Its all on Harden

Ok really good points!

1) we agree on

2) Spurs offense is the best I've seen in years, true. But it's predicated on creating havoc through forcing the defense to overhelp and then using the brilliant spacing to find the open guy. Most teams just defensively get lost because individuals lose track of their own guys because they don't stay disciplined. Unlike the Clippers and Jazz, OKC have great perimeter AND low post defenders and play them straight up. They basically played the Lakers the same way. The only time they doubled was off a Kobe/Pau PnR...on every other set, they played it straight up...they have the personnel to do the same against the Spurs.

3) The Thunder play 5 perimeter players - Westbrook/Durant/Safalosha/Harden/Fisher. So 3 of those guys will be in the game at all times, they don't go as deep into their bench as the Spurs, especially on the perimeter. Stephen Jackson and Manu will NEVER be matched up against Fisher or Cook I would hope. CP3 was Injured and I don't think anyone can stop Dursnt anymore, I think he's arrived.

The Thunder are just bigger, stronger, more athletic at nearly every position. Their ONE drop off is fisher in terms of pure athleticism.

Anyway, it remains to be seen, but if the Thunder play everyone straight up and don't lose sight of their man for cuts and open 3's they should do just fine.

spurs play run and gun?

wtf are you talking about?

Anyway, that sucked. Figured it was gonna happen, but sucked nonetheless. More than anything, the team looked tired in the 4th.

Time to throw a 2 year, $16 mil contract at Steve Nash and get back to to promised land.

Man, the OKC v. Spurs is going to be such a good series. Either it will go down to the wire in 6-7 games or the Spurs will steamroll through OKC. Either of which will be entertaining.

But most importantly, it is now assured that the West will put forward their strongest teams in the Finals. If the Heat somehow manage to make through the LCF and to the Finals, they'll get their shit pushed in by either OKC or the Spurs.

All I ask is that the winner of the OKC v. Spurs series get through injury free.

the Kobe/Pau/Bynum trio is only going to get worse. You might as well pull the plug on it now. My plan would be to keep Pau, but trade Bynum. His value is high (higher than you give credit for. He just had a full, HEALTHY, really good season. If you don't think GMs will want him you are crazy) but don't add any long term contracts. And especially don't give one to Bynum. Let this current era run its course with Kobe and Pau's contracts expiring together.

And the size advantage is no longer a strong trait. Not when Bynum only rebounds when he wants to, Pau doesn't show up half the time and Kobe is too aged to be the sole playmaker in the backcourt. People need to stop giving me this "You can't trade away our size advantage" shit when it's not that big of an advantage anymore.

I'm sure there are teams that would take Bynum. The real question is what they've give up in return. IMO at this point they would demand too much and give up too little. At this point I'd keep him and...you know....feed the post a bit more. Keep his sensitive ass happy.

I'd really like to see Mike Brown out of there. This team was ill prepared for the road all season, they lost a fair number of road games that should've been wins. So I wasn't surprised that their lack of road composure ended up costing them in the playoffs. I put that lack of preparation squarely on Mike Brown's shoulders.

You guys are crazy. Spurs have every advantage they could want over OKC, it's gonna be a 5 game series.

I'd be shocked if it's under 6 games. OKC is a tough matchup for Spurs because of their perimeter speed and athleticism.

I don't see how they're going to keep WB, Durant, and Harden out of the paint. Now with Perkins screens and the way Durant works off the PnR these days.

Key to the series will be Westbrook. If he plays controlled like he did vs LAL, I think OKC takes it.

edit: god damn it people, benches don't matter! OKC just played WB and Durant 45 min and will continue to do so. Those 2 and harden are so young (and Ibaka) they can all roll 40mpg.

Branduil

Anyway, that sucked. Figured it was gonna happen, but sucked nonetheless. More than anything, the team looked tired in the 4th.

Time to throw a 2 year, $16 mil contract at Steve Nash and get back to to promised land.

How the heck are the Lakers going to offer that contract?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Of all the things to describe the thunder, but BIGGER and STRONGER at every position?

rofl.

thekad

Banned

With what cap space?

I'm sure there are teams that would take Bynum. The real question is what they've give up in return. IMO at this point they would demand too much and give up too little. At this point I'd keep him and...you know....feed the post a bit more. Keep his sensitive ass happy.

I'd really like to see Mike Brown out of there. This team was ill prepared for the road all season, they lost a fair number of road games that should've been wins. So I wasn't surprised that their lack of road composure ended up costing them in the playoffs. I put that lack of preparation squarely on Mike Brown's shoulders.

Keeping Bynum means signing him to a max extension which is why I want to ship him out now. Let some other team pay him $15-18 million for the next 5 years. That's a bad contract.

How the heck are the Lakers going to offer that contract?

With the Odom TPE. You can make a sign and trade with it. I've been telling you all year the Lakers can sign and trade for almost $9 million in 1 player or split it among 2.

With what cap space?

Don't need any.

Keeping Bynum means signing him to a max extension which is why I want to ship him out now. Let some other team pay him $15-18 million for the next 5 years. That's a bad contract.

You wanted to trade for Melo. Your argument is invalid.

I don't really understand how a team can defensively scheme for the Spurs and not be cognizant about the utter futility of even trying. The Spurs offense is so versatile and adaptable and disciplined that it's absolutely ludicrous to me that someone actually thinks "staying home" on shooters that are continuously moving off the ball and cutting will cripple the Spurs.

Offense will be the LEAST of San Antonio's worries. OKC cannot defend San Antonio. The only hope for OKC is maintaining streaky shooting while not faltering under the mind games and petulant game-time adjustments that we've come to expect from Popovich. OKC runs an jump-shooting offense with three iso-players, and in order for them to have a realistic chance of pulling off even one win, there needs to be a fusillade from at least two of the big three.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
With the Odom TPE. You can make a sign and trade with it. I've been telling you all year the Lakers can sign and trade for almost $9 million in 1 player or split it among 2.

You can't combine the TPE or split it. It has to be used on a single player only.

The sign-and-trade would have to happen before July 1st, and it would have to be a sign-and-extend AND the Suns would only have a very short window to use it.

That changes things up enough to make it a "lol keep dreaming" scenario.

OKC can't stay home with shooters. It's not a stand and shoot offense. OKC is going to have to hope their length and athleticism on the perimeter will allow them to recover fast enough to bother the shots.

It will be interesting to see how they approach their defense for this series. Ibaka overhelping could doom them, but if he plays it right, he could be a huge asset.

Durant on Ginobili could be a big trump card late in games, too.

You can't combine the TPE or split it. It has to be used on a single player only.

The sign-and-trade would have to happen before July 1st, and it would have to be a sign-and-extend AND the Suns would only have a very short window to use it.

That changes things up enough to make it a "lol keep dreaming" scenario.

Wrong. You can't trade the TPE with players, but it CAN be split up into separate trades.

Where did you get July 1st? They have all off-season to do it. Sign and Trades are legal for next season for luxury teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom