• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT2| OKC VS LA: Black on Black Crime

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that there are no great defensive teams in the playoffs, no one will be able to stop the Spurs from scoring. The best defensive team in the playoffs left are the Heat, but they are a fraud, their defense won't beat a team that passes the ball good and that's even if they make it to the Finals.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Man, Duncan and Splitter should have a field day with Ibaka and Perkins in the post. Those guys also give you so little offensively that the Spurs can shift more of their defensive resources worrying about OKC's main three.

Wrong. You can't trade the TPE with players, but it CAN be split up into separate trades.

Where did you get July 1st? They have all off-season to do it. Sign and Trades are legal for next season for luxury teams.

As far as I know, you cannot split up the TPE. It's a one or done deal.

The TPE expires before July 1st (if it hasn't already) and Nash isn't a free agent until July 1st, either. Your scenario is a pipe-dream.

EDIT:

Larry Coon said:
Teams cannot use trade exceptions to sign free agents; they can be used only to acquire existing contracts from other teams. However, a team can acquire a free agent using a trade exception if he is signed by his prior team and traded in a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 88).

Of all the things to describe the thunder, but BIGGER and STRONGER at every position?

rofl.

Seriously. Of the 6 teams left, we easily have the best frontline.

But the speed/quickness argument doesn't make sense either.

TP and Westbrook are about even
I think Manu is still faster than Harden but theyre about being crafty so I'm not sure that even matters
Green & Kawhi are much faster than Durant & Thabo
Neither Neal or JAX are very fast but they have Fisher ffs. I wouldn't mind playing Patty Mills just to expose him..

Vahagn

Wait, just because the Spurs shooters move means that you can't stay at home on them? It's simple, just keep your hands and eyes on your guy at all times instead of doubling or drifting to the paint. You can move around all you want, when you got OKC defenders shadowing you, it's still not gonna get you open. Bonner, Green, Leonard, Jackson, and Diaw shouldn't be left...let Manu/Timmy/Tony try to beat their respective defenders in PnR or isolation all game.

Don't load up on the strong side, don't try to pack it in the paint. That's how most teams play defense and the spurs kill teams for trying that with their perimter passing and weakside body/ball movement.

The spurs shot 50% from 3 against the Thunder in the regular season...that's their advantage...they're not gonna get far trying to post up on the thunder all game.

I think the bigger question is why would the Suns trade Nash to the Lakers for cap space that they already have?

If the Suns aren't going to be serious contenders, then Nash could request a trade to a team that will contend in his twilight years. But, again, I can't imagine the Suns helping out the Lakers.

I think the bigger question is why would the Suns trade Nash to the Lakers for cap space that they already have?

The only reason being a favor to Nash if he himself asked for it.

Even then LOL. Nash isn't the type, and Suns FO would sooner let him walk than do that to their fans. Yea let's send the ring chasing fan favorite to the team our fans hate the most.

I don't mind Bynum being around as much as some others here, and Mikey B is guaranteed quite a bit of money for some reason. They're staying unless Mitch can ship Bynum out for something Kobe can work with.

Wonder if Ramon still plans to test free agency after the shitty post season he had. Remember when Shannon Brown thought it'd be a good idea to ignore his player option to test free agency and ended up with the same team for less money, that was pretty funny.

aznpxdd

Diablo server down 8 hours. FUCK THIS SHIT!!

Its only 4pm my time...meaning server will be up at midnight. Night ruined, thanks Blizzard.

Man, Duncan and Splitter should have a field day with Ibaka and Perkins in the post. Those guys also give you so little offensively that the Spurs can shift more of their defensive resources worrying about OKC's main three.

As far as I know, you cannot split up the TPE. It's a one or done deal.

The TPE expires before July 1st (if it hasn't already) and Nash isn't a free agent until July 1st, either. Your scenario is a pipe-dream.

EDIT:

Wrong. You can use the TPE on as many players as you want, but with each player, it dimishes the amount. And must always be for 1 player at a time.

Teams can consume only part of a trade exception, in which case they can still use the remainder in a future trade. For example, if a team trades a $4 million player for a $2 million player, they gain a $2 million trade exception. If they later trade a draft pick for a $1 million player, they still have $1 million left over to acquire more players and complete the earlier trade (until one year from the date of the original trade).
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q82

Also, the TPE's from trades expires 1 year after the trade. The Lakers made the deal in December and thus, will expire then.

In some cases, teams have up to one year to acquire the replacement player(s) to complete a trade. These trades are considered non-simultaneous. In a non-simultaneous trade, a team can acquire only up to 100% plus $100,000 of the outgoing salary (as opposed to a higher amount in a simultaneous trade).

Odom was traded like Dec 10th or something. Forgot the exact date.

because Nash can demand it and the Suns will get a pick out of it, so it's still better than nothing. Why did Cleveland trade Lebron?

Anth0ny

Man, the OKC v. Spurs is going to be such a good series. Either it will go down to the wire in 6-7 games or the Spurs will steamroll through OKC. Either of which will be entertaining.

But most importantly, it is now assured that the West will put forward their strongest teams in the Finals. If the Heat somehow manage to make through the LCF and to the Finals, they'll get their shit pushed in by either OKC or the Spurs.

All I ask is that the winner of the OKC v. Spurs series get through injury free.

My thoughts exactly. WCF will be the true NBA finals, even if Miami is healthy. The Heat cannot hang with San Antonio or OKC.

I don't mind Bynum being around as much as some others here, and Mikey B is guaranteed quite a bit of money for some reason. They're staying unless Mitch can ship Bynum out for something Kobe can work with.

Wonder if Ramon still plans to test free agency after the shitty post season he had. Remember when Shannon Brown thought it'd be a good idea to ignore his player option to test free agency and ended up with the same team for less money, that was pretty funny.

Actually, Brown got a slight pay raise out of it.

And Sessions would be wise to opt out. Even if he gets the same money, he'll get it over 4 seasons, not just 1. Get your cash while you still can.

I thought Brown ended up with less money, whatever

Blake/GODlock
Kobe
Metta/Eyenga
Pau/Hill/McBob
Bynum

I'm really looking forward to what Mitch does this off season.

I thought Brown ended up with less money, whatever

Blake/GODlock
Kobe
Metta/Eyenga
Pau/Hill/McBob
Bynum

I'm really looking forward to what Mitch does this off season.

If the starting 5 is the same, then they desperately need to find a backup SG who can play D and shoot 3s. And a backup SF.

They have some options. Try to trade Pau for Deron in a 3 teamer where morey is dumb enough to take Pau (can't count out Morey). Try to swoon Nash if not. Or trade Pau for a lot of good role players assuming KG will come to LA (lol). Or better yet, convince Duncan to finally play with Kobe after Spurs fall short again (TCB would explode).

Really, no clue how they handle this offseason. They have that TPE which is a huge chip, but unsure where they go with it or how they handle Pau. Bynum will be extended and Scooter will cry.

5s5NH.png

linsivvi

The Lakers have no hope as long as Jim Buss is meddling. Mike Brown is his choice, coddling to Bynum and hanging on to him is also his choice.

Jim wants to make a name for himself and prove to the world that he's not useless. He was determined to eliminate all influences from the Phil era including alienating his own sister. Sooner or later Mitch will get fed up and bolt for another job, and Kobe, provided he doesn't demand a trade, will become the last remaining piece of Jerry West's legacy.

Well Jim, go fuck around with a minor league team or something and leave the Lakers alone, fool.

Shinobi

Been a long time since I've been in this thread...forgot how much fun it could be.

Ninja Scooter said it best...Spurs are the most in form team I've seen since the '01 Lakers. This run they've been on started in MARCH. It's frankly absurd how consistent and how dominant they've looked over the course of that span.

I really can't see how anyone's gonna beat the Spurs, save for one of the big three getting hurt. And the way these playoffs have gone, that's hardly out of the question.

As for the east, it's hard to bet against the Celtics unless Miami can make it by the Pacers and get Bosh back for the ECF. Even then it'll be a dog fight that I think I'd have to make Boston a slight favourite in. But either way it goes, the west is winning the title this year.

I told yal that Sessions wasn't helping shit.

Lakers don't beat Denver without the trade for him. hell, they wouldn't have had HCA in round 1. He was better than Fisher would have been on offense this playoffs.

But yes, Sessions wasn't the difference between beating OKC. Although, would have been interesting in a non-lockout year or with more time off in the playoffs. Lakers blew 2 games, after all.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Lakers don't beat Denver without the trade for him. hell, they wouldn't have had HCA in round 1. He was better than Fisher would have been on offense this playoffs.

But yes, Sessions wasn't the difference between beating OKC. Although, would have been interesting in a non-lockout year or with more time off in the playoffs. Lakers blew 2 games, after all.
Soooooo LA was so up a river that Sessions was the key to getting past Denver?

Not that I believe that for a second, but I do find it hilarious that someone would.

-Laker fans are still talking about a good PG when it should be obvious by now that any Pg would make little difference so long as Kobe is the SG. What makes a PG good also makes them a bad fit next to Kobe. He just dominates the ball too much for any PG to make an impact over a season or throughout a series.

-Westbrook has been embracing the fact he's a scorer and trying less to be a facilitator. He's been great in the PO where his turnovers are down, especially against the Lakers.

-Kobe for Melo. NY can chase Phil and the Lakers can build around Pau and Bynum like Brown and Jim wants. Melo is younger, cheaper and easier to trade if it doesn't work out. who says no? can't get any worse.

-Kobe should've went after the scoring title. He did work all year only to give up at the end. Quitters never win.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Seriously. Of the 6 teams left, we easily have the best frontline.

But the speed/quickness argument doesn't make sense either.

TP and Westbrook are about even
I think Manu is still faster than Harden but theyre about being crafty so I'm not sure that even matters
Green & Kawhi are much faster than Durant & Thabo
Neither Neal or JAX are very fast but they have Fisher ffs. I wouldn't mind playing Patty Mills just to expose him..

I think Westbrook end to end is much faster than TP at this point.. he is still very very quick tho with good change of direction speed...

and you sell KD short

giri

The only reason being a favor to Nash if he himself asked for it.

Even then LOL. Nash isn't the type, and Suns FO would sooner let him walk than do that to their fans. Yea let's send the ring chasing fan favorite to the team our fans hate the most.
Think much of your self.

You're number 2 at best.

Wait, just because the Spurs shooters move means that you can't stay at home on them? It's simple, just keep your hands and eyes on your guy at all times instead of doubling or drifting to the paint. You can move around all you want, when you got OKC defenders shadowing you, it's still not gonna get you open. Bonner, Green, Leonard, Jackson, and Diaw shouldn't be left...let Manu/Timmy/Tony try to beat their respective defenders in PnR or isolation all game.

Don't load up on the strong side, don't try to pack it in the paint. That's how most teams play defense and the spurs kill teams for trying that with their perimter passing and weakside body/ball movement.

The spurs shot 50% from 3 against the Thunder in the regular season...that's their advantage...they're not gonna get far trying to post up on the thunder all game.

???? I seem to recall quite a few times that Worstbrook left Steve Blake and other LA "shooters" wide open. Even on end of the game possessions. Do you think Neal/Bonner/Manu/Green miss corner 3's when no one is within 10 feet of them with 10 seconds to go? I don't. Well, Bonner, yes, but Worstbrook woudln't be defending Bonner.

bionic77

I didn't think we could beat the Thunder going into the playoffs and it turns out I was right.

Blow this team the fuck up. Trade Bynum and Gasol and see if we can get Dwight, Williams and some role players. Then see if we can get Lamar for nothing and get his mind back in the game. Bynum had his chance and didn't really do shit in the playoffs. He is not consistent on defense and on offense he is only good if he has a smaller guy to dominate him. He failed against the Nuggets and Thunders defense. A true star would have been able to dominate those single teams. Also I love Gasol and we don't get to the finals 3 straight years without him, but I am sick of him disappearing. I don't know if his body has broken down or he has checked out, but I don't fucking care and he needs to be gone.

And for the love of God fire Mike Brown. I am sick of seeing this pathetic offense. It is obvious the guy has no idea how to run an offense. It will help to get a real PG (especially for Kobe), but the coach still has to know what the fuck he is doing. Does Dr. Buss have any other hot daughters? Maybe he has a younger one I don't know about that we can use to get Pop to come over and fix things.

Barrage

I'm also glad to see and end to the "Sessions, Solution to all of life's problems!" chatter. He is (quite a bit) worse than Jrue Holiday, and noone (outside of LaLaland) would ever say the Lakers are a championship team with Holiday. So why with Sessions, i'll never know.

Man, the OKC v. Spurs is going to be such a good series. Either it will go down to the wire in 6-7 games or the Spurs will steamroll through OKC. Either of which will be entertaining.

But most importantly, it is now assured that the West will put forward their strongest teams in the Finals. If the Heat somehow manage to make through the LCF and to the Finals, they'll get their shit pushed in by either OKC or the Spurs.

All I ask is that the winner of the OKC v. Spurs series get through injury free.

You wish the WCF winner to be 100% healthy to face the injured heat? How nice of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom