• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Preseason |OT| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Rasheed Wallace

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
What did Shaq say this time?

NBA Open Court on NBA TV last night. He spent basically 20 minutes on how Howard wasn't dominate while everyone else was trying to find out why Shaq was shitting all over Howard. It spanned over 2 segments.

or because Jordan was a smarter basketball player. Kobe was a hell of an athlete himself, he just jacked up a shot whenever, even when he was playing with the most dominant big of the last 15 years.

Yeah, this discussion made me dive into guys like AI's and Kobe's career sheets and man were they some chuckers. Look at a guy like Melo, who most consider a better scorer than the likes of lebron. He rarely if ever finishes with a higher PPG than Lebron.

He is silly.. but LBJ is not a better scorer than Kobe.

He is a better basketball player imo.. but not a better scorer or even close

Oh please, if he desired he could drive the lane at will and drop 50 game. He just isn't mentally built that way. The only three players I have ever personally seen that could not be guarded when they activated beast mode are James, Jordan, and Prime Shaq.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Oh please, if he desired he could drive the lane at will and drop 50 game. He just isn't mentally built that way. The only three players I have ever personally seen that could not be guarded when they activated beast mode are James, Jordan, and Prime Shaq.

He has dropped 50 8 times, which is impressive.. but still not a better scorer than younger Kobe..

It's like saying Magic could have scored 30 a game if he wanted.. but it's not what happened..

Personally I think LBJ is the better basketball and Kobe is an amazing basketball player..

but should have, could have, would have doesn't count for much..

Jeff-DSA

0yq2z.jpg

Is the Thudner a joke about Westbrook's shooting?

Seen as in seen live?

Otherwise that's a pretty short list with some big ass omissions: Kobe, TD, Prime T-Mac...

NBA Open Court on NBA TV last night. He spent basically 20 minutes on how Howard wasn't dominate while everyone else was trying to find out why Shaq was shitting all over Howard. It spanned over 2 segments.

Sorry I missed this.

KingGondo

Banned
I've heard Thunderstruck wasn't awful for a movie targeted toward kids in the 8-10 year-old range.

And I stand by my assessment that a Space Jam 2 with KD and Bron would make gazillions.

I've heard Thunderstruck wasn't awful for a movie targeted toward kids in the 8-10 year-old range.

And I stand by my assessment that a Space Jam 2 with KD and Bron would make gazillions.

Dude, I would love KD and Bron if they somehow helped get a sequel. Space Jam is my favorite movie of all time.

Smokey

Gondo I am not going to be able to watch the preseason game tonight because of this new dumb network that is airing Rocket games. Of course DirecTv doesn't carry it.

I will be relying on you to tell me how bad the Rockets look.

KingGondo

Banned
Gondo I am not going to be able to watch the preseason game tonight because of this new dumb network that is airing Rocket games. Of course DirecTv doesn't carry it.

I will be relying on you to tell me how bad the Rockets look.
Not on TV here either.

Meh, I probably wouldn't watch it anyways. Aldrich and Daequan Cook are rumored to be starting.

Curious to see how PJ3 looks though.

Fox318

Monstars get all of the skills of Harden, CP3, Manu, Griffin, Scola, and Gasol.

Flopping ahoy.

Vahagn

or because Jordan was a smarter basketball player. Kobe was a hell of an athlete himself, he just jacked up a shot whenever, even when he was playing with the most dominant big of the last 15 years.

Jordan was smarter because he never played with Shaq. Phenomenal Logic there buddy.

Lakers got to the Finals 4 times in 5 years when Shaq played with Kobe despite not having a consistent 3rd player that was All Star Caliber, and nothing close to HOF worthy during that stretch.

Now think for a second on all the great perimeter players Shaq has played with (Penny, Wade, Bron, Big 3 Celtics, Nash/Amare). Did young Kobe take some ill-advised shots, sure? But this revisionist history like young Kobe wasn't mentally ahead of the game, and had a higher bball IQ than most anyone else playing at his level, and that the Kobe/Shaq duo wasn't successful is just absurd.

Also, Kobe is and was a hell of an athlete. But no one would ever say Kobe was or is the athlete Lebron is. And in the same way, Kobe wasn't the athlete Jordan was. Jordan had a 12 inch higher vertical, stronger, faster, bigger hands, etc.

SUPREME1

Banned
Love all the "could have" or "would have" arguments lmao!

I'll play that game...

Kobe [would've/could've] had a higher rate of assists if he decided to pass more.

Lmao!

Kobe [would've/could've] had a higher fg% if he gave any fucks and decided not to chuck whenever he got the urge.

This is fun!

Seriously though, Blackace made some good points and summed up how I feel about LeBron as a scorer. I never said LeBron couldn't score, never even said he wasn't capable of putting up a lot of points on any given night. I said he couldn't reach those extreme highs because his limitations keep him from doing so. You can't reach 60/70/80 on bulldozing and finishing at the rim alone.

It's gotta be a combination of attacking the rim, while catching fire from the perimeter. And that is what I was arguing... that LeBron, even while having improved immensely from the perimeter, is just too mechanical and not enough of a shooter to put it all together for an explosion that would net him those extreme highs. His offensive repertoire is limited.

Exactly.

This is really a dumb argument. Kobe played on a shit team in his prime and shot 20-25+ shots to get big individual numbers at mediocre percentages. Big whoop. And I love Kobe.

Lebron, who generally doesn't chuck as much, still can fill it up and if he continues at the same pace will be top-5 on the all time PPG list and probably up there in points total. On top of every thing else that he does better.

No one should want Bron to do what Kobe did in his prime, the same as no one should have been telling MJ to do what Magic was doing in his prime.

They're different players who have differently honed skills.

That's what they should do, but I think Dirk and Cuban are just too loyal to each other.

this. they could make second round at best. but i think they're clinging to the hope that "well in 2011 we won the chip with a bunch of wily veterans that came together, let's try it again."

it kind of made sense to surround dirk with more offensive talent in the center position and to get athletic on the perimeter, but their caliber of players is just not high enough collectively. i think ranking "better" defensively without tyson was a misnomer: nearly everyone played shitty offense in the lockout season, so i expect them to be average on d now.

i'm forever grateful dirk got his ring. it would suck seeing him try to chase a ring elsewhere in the twilight of his career. i think if the mavs never won, they would seriously consider blowing it up and sending dirk on his way.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
You might have dodged a bullet, but the C4 wrapped around Amare's knees and Carmelo's ego has a timer on it that's almost reaching zero.

I dont think Melo's ego has a timer Amares knee's sure but compared to some players of his caliber Melo is actually a pretty chill player.

Kobe has 5 rings, whatever it is he's been doing has been enough obviously.

Exactly.

This is really a dumb argument. Kobe played on a shit team in his prime and shot 20-25+ shots to get big individual numbers at mediocre percentages. Big whoop.
And I love Kobe.

He took a team that was beyond Bobcats bad to 45 wins in the Western Conference while averaging 35.4 PPG on 45% FG shooting, which is solid for a guard. Saying that's no big deal...that aint some joe scoring 30 ppg on a bad team, those are historic numbers.

I can't wait until we can compare Bron and Kobes careers when its all said and done though. Kobe has a good chance of having 7...in this era, with these athletes...that's just insane. Bron could chip every year from here on out that Wade is healthy though, we'll see.

He took a team that was beyond Bobcats bad to 45 wins in the Western Conference while averaging 35.4 PPG on 45% FG shooting, which is solid for a guard. Saying that's no big deal...that aint some joe scoring 30 ppg on a bad team, those are historic numbers.

I can't wait until we can compare Bron and Kobes careers when its all said and done though. Kobe has a good chance of having 7...in this era, with these athletes...that's just insane. Bron could chip every year from here on out that Wade is healthy though, we'll see.

FUTURE NEWS:

Lebron James officially retires with 3 rings.

Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

I really don't get Shaq's animosity. Not sure why he can't be happy for someone else. I really don't think anyone will remember Dwight as better than Shaq, so why the insecurity?

Emwitus

So, in this fantasy land, who does durant play?

I don't even want to start on his first three rings. Just let kobe live. Good numbers on a shit team is just that. Dude averaged 27 shots a game. 27. Give lebron 27 shots you don't think he could get 35 per? MJ? KD? Hell give wade 27 and I bet he gets close.

Kobe did his thing but still, perspective. He played in a very special situation that you can't really ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom