• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Preseason |OT| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Rasheed Wallace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our asian bodies aren't built for this grind. :(

yao.ming.jpg

KingKong

I can't wait until we can compare Bron and Kobes careers when its all said and done though. Kobe has a good chance of having 7...in this era, with these athletes...that's just insane. Bron could chip every year from here on out that Wade is healthy though, we'll see.

I don't think he has a good chance at all. Him and Nash are pretty close to being done and Miami/OKC are going to be very tough to beat, even with Dwight

Miami's path is much easier just because their toughest competition is who - Boston? Just look at the power rankings, out of the top 6 teams, 4 are in the West

KingGondo

Banned
I don't think he has a good chance at all. Him and Nash are pretty close to being done and Miami/OKC are going to be very tough to beat, even with Dwight

Miami's path is much easier just because their toughest competition is who - Boston? Just look at the power rankings, out of the top 6 teams, 4 are in the West
Yeah, it's sickening how much easier the LEast is. At least Brooklyn and Boston should be decent, and theoretically Chicago and Philly will be better, but I still see Miami cruising.

The West is extremely tough at least through the top 8:

OKC
Lakers
Spurs
Clippers
Grizz
Nuggets
Jazz
Mavs

And that doesn't even include young teams with some nice talent: Minny, Portland, New Orleans, Houston, and Golden State.

The only teams that will definitely suck in the West are the Kings and Suns.

i think Portland could be pretty bad. Not East bad, but no where close to the top 10 in the West.

They're really one LMA injury away from being the worst team in the West.

DominoKid

I don't even want to start on his first three rings. Just let kobe live. Good numbers on a shit team is just that. Dude averaged 27 shots a game. 27. Give lebron 27 shots you don't think he could get 35 per? MJ? KD? Hell give wade 27 and I bet he gets close.

Kobe did his thing but still, perspective. He played in a very special situation that you can't really ignore.

he had 1 NBA quality player on his team and Lamar wasnt even that good. the rest of them motherfuckers were D-League benchrider level. dude his starting lineup contained fucking Smush, Cook and Kwame.
who of those fucks actually deserved to even touch a basketball, let alone shoot it.

TylerD

Is the Thudner a joke about Westbrook's shooting?

I don't know why, maybe because work is sucking so much today but I laughed at "Thudner" for a good 2 minutes when I first read it.

I've heard Thunderstruck wasn't awful for a movie targeted toward kids in the 8-10 year-old range.

I saw Thunderstruck at a AMC. It was entertaining for a kids movie and well worth the zero dollars I paid for the privilege.

Guess it is time to ramp up my lurking and involvement in BestGAF.

Go Thudner!

dalVlatko

"He struggled offensively big-time," Scott said. "I took him out in the second half because I drew up a play, guard ran the play, he messed it up. To me that was a lack of focus so I figured he didn't need to play the rest of the game." Asked what he'd most like to see from Waiters, Scott said, "Understanding what we're doing offensively. You've got to know the plays. I can't draw up a play during a timeout and you go on the floor and mess it up."

Its very hard to stay positive about Dion Waiters.

Vahagn

I don't even want to start on his first three rings. Just let kobe live. Good numbers on a shit team is just that. Dude averaged 27 shots a game. 27. Give lebron 27 shots you don't think he could get 35 per? MJ? KD? Hell give wade 27 and I bet he gets close.

Kobe did his thing but still, perspective. He played in a very special situation that you can't really ignore.

Kobe had 9 straight 40 Point Games in 2003. WTF are you talking about. Kobe has been a prolific scorer since he was 21 years old in this league. If he didn't have to share the ball with Shaq from 96-2004 he wouldn't have as many chips, but you honestly think he couldn't average 29-30 a game during that stretch as the main guy on that team?

Lebron can't take 27 shots a game, because he doesn't have the jumper Kobe does. If he took 27 shots driving inside and getting fouled hard on every play, how long do you think his body holds up or he stays efficient and healthy?

It's not an accident that the guy who had the skyhook played a gazillion seasons and led the league in total points, because that shot can be done with little effort and no physical punishment. Ditto for the fadeaway jumper Jordan and Kobe perfected. Lebron's patented move is lowering his shoulder and getting fouled at the rim. So, get off this idea Lebron can consistently score Kobe/Jordan level without a consistent shot that requires little physical energy or punishment.

If Bron could have averaged 35 a game, he would have done it one of those seasons in Cleveland. As has been stated time and time again, he doesn't have the effortless offensive game of a Kareem/Wilt/Jordan/Kobe. He's efficient because missed layups don't hurt your FG% if you get fouled, and you rarely get fouled on missed jumpers. But his body takes a beating and can't sustain that type of prolific scoring that the other guys do.

Kobe's numbers take a hit and are skewed because he spent two years coming off the bench playing 7-20 min a game. Take those out, only count his as a starter you have 14 seasons.

Kobes averages as a starter- 28ppg, 6rpg, 5.2apg, 1.6spg, .456 FG% at 39.3mpg (and that's sharing the ball with Shaq for half his career)

Got an email yesterday from someone saying the Andrew Bynum knee injury isn't healing like it should. Started worrying. This morning, it went public. Now I've already thrown out all my clothes and I'm thinking about a move to Eurasia, if such a place exists.

But let me pump the breaks and actually read the article first.

94WIP’s Howard Eskin says that he is "getting the sense there is a more serious injury with Andrew Bynum’s knee than the Sixers are telling us. I will go as far as saying I think the Lakers may have given the Sixers damaged goods."

Well there are a few things here. Howard, despite my platonic relationship with his son, is a shock jock placed on this world to stoke the fire, cause my eyes to roll uncontrollably, and get into fights with Charlie Manuel. His opinions are silly and I actively pay no attention to them. Bynum, as we knew, was not in perfect health but wasn't 2005 Jamal Mashburn either.

But Howard does have sources, infinitely more than I do, and seeing as this is the second person I've heard this from, I'm growing extremely concerned that this could be a longer thing. Ryan Howard and Chase Utley were supposed to be back by Opening Day and they sat for half the year. I do not want that to happen with Bynum, obviously.

I suppose the only potential benefit of this is the knowledge that they're not rushing him back. His long-term health is paramount to any additional success this season, despite the looming maximum contract on the horizon. I would rather five and a half great years of Bynum than six injured ones.

http://www.libertyballers.com/2012/...bynum-knee-injury-serious-hurt-injured-sixers

Be strong, Knux.

94WIP’s Howard Eskin says that he is "getting the sense there is a more serious injury with Andrew Bynum’s knee than the Sixers are telling us. I will go as far as saying I think the Lakers may have given the Sixers damaged goods."

Mitch_kupchak1.jpg

Emwitus

Who would have known bynum was injury prone? You dirty mitch you.

KingGondo

Banned
I don't know why, maybe because work is sucking so much today but I laughed at "Thudner" for a good 2 minutes when I first read it.

I saw Thunderstruck at a AMC. It was entertaining for a kids movie and well worth the zero dollars I paid for the privilege.

Guess it is time to ramp up my lurking and involvement in BestGAF.

Go Thudner!
Thudner Up!

BTW, what's going on with your potential move to Bama?

Eskin has no Sixers source (one could argue he doesn't have any sources in the city as he is a dickback) but my body was ready for this already.

I can justify it with "all we lost was Iggy and some stuff..meh."

now if you excuse me I am off to listen to some Linkin Park and marathon some Casshern.

giga

Bynum injury prone and not revealing his health? News to me.

On January 13, 2008, he suffered an injury during a game against the Memphis Grizzlies. Bynum partially dislocated his left kneecap when he landed awkwardly on teammate Lamar Odom's left foot while attempting to grab a rebound.[24] In March, there were reports that he could return before the end of the 2007–08 season or the first round of the playoffs;[25][26] however, Lakers coach Phil Jackson said that he did not foresee Bynum making serious contributions any time soon in April.[27] In May, rumors about his return were put to rest when Bynum underwent arthroscopic surgery on his kneecap.[

On February 2, 2009 it was revealed that Bynum had suffered a torn MCL in his right knee and would be out 8–12 weeks. This was the second straight year that Bynum had suffered a knee injury against the Memphis Grizzlies.

In the 2010 NBA playoffs, Bynum injured his knee in Game 6 against the Oklahoma City Thunder in the first round.

A longer than expected recovery period was needed for Bynum's surgery that caused him to miss the beginning of the 2010–11 NBA season. Bynum gave the Lakers advance notice hours, not weeks, before the opening of training camp. He acknowledged that his doctor told him in advance that he might need more repair to the knee based on findings once the surgery began. Bynum said he would make the same decision again to delay the surgery until after his vacation, even with the knowledge that it would cost him a portion of the upcoming regular season.[40] Kevin Ding of The Orange County Register and Michael Rosenberg of Sports Illustrated criticized Bynum for his summer activities and not expecting complications based on his history with injuries and recovery time.[40][41]

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Watching Open Court, I sort of get Shaq's criticism more now. He's saying that Dwight is faster and more athletic than him, but doesn't play like a center should. He's saying that Dwight needs to focus his offensive game to be more back to the basket, so he can play more dominantly.

Whether that's legitimate or not is something else, but that's what he's saying.

SUPREME1

Banned
Watching Open Court, I sort of get Shaq's criticism more now. He's saying that Dwight is faster and more athletic than him, but doesn't play like a center should. He's saying that Dwight needs to focus his offensive game to be more back to the basket, so he can play more dominantly.

Whether that's legitimate or not is something else, but that's what he's saying.

Yes... and he keeps saying it over and over and over.

We heard him, he needs to shut up and move on already. He's obsessed with it, so you have to ask yourself why?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Yes... and he keeps saying it over and over and over.

We heard him, he needs to shut up and move on already. He's obsessed with it, so you have to ask yourself why?
Well, I mean, they brought it up on the show, lol.

That's the point of the show. Besides, these were filmed a while ago, I believe.

Lakers don't need Howard to try to be Andrew Bynum. Pau is a legit post threat and adding another player like that didn't work too well. Dwight's baby hook and quick basket attacks will mesh better than a traditional big man game.

Dwight's game is his game at this point, limited offensively and a beast on D. It would be like Kareem telling Shaq to be more finesse, brute force worked for Shaq and he was comfortable with that.

He just looks mad salty with his constant Dwight bashing. He probably tells his girl after sex that Dwight wouldn't have lasted as long.

TylerD

Thudner Up!

BTW, what's going on with your potential move to Bama?

They aren't able to hire anyone for the position at this time but they will contact me as soon as they are able to. My reference at the company said that there have been no new hires so as far as he knows it is legitimate. This is a small company with just over 50 employees.

It was odd because there was a listing on Linked In on the company profile and on Twitter when I started the process. He also said that I was the only one they were dealing with during this process because I already support the products and have extensive knowledge.

Thanks for asking!

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Lakers don't need Howard to try to be Andrew Bynum. Pau is a legit post threat and adding another player like that didn't work too well. Dwight's baby hook and quick basket attacks will mesh better than a traditional big man game.

Dwight's game is his game at this point, limited offensively and a beast on D. It would be like Kareem telling Shaq to be more finesse, brute force worked for Shaq and he was comfortable with that.

He just looks mad salty with his constant Dwight bashing. He probably tells his girl after sex that Dwight wouldn't have lasted as long.
Shaq's criticism isn't about what's best for the Lakers. He's just talking about Dwight's limited offensive ability, and he's right. That doesn't mean that Dwight won't be great, and Shaq is wrong when he says that Bynum is better, but he's still allowed to speak. When LeBron had the decision, all these old guys came out the woodwork to criticize him, and they were justified. Shaq is a TNT guy whose job is to draw attention. As long as his criticism is about Dwight's game, and it seems decently thought out and legitimate, then I don't have a problem with it.

KingKong

Shaq's criticism isn't about what's best for the Lakers. He's just talking about Dwight's limited offensive ability, and he's right. That doesn't mean that Dwight won't be great, and Shaq is wrong when he says that Bynum is better, but he's still allowed to speak. When LeBron had the decision, all these old guys came out the woodwork to criticize him, and they were justified. Shaq is a TNT guy whose job is to draw attention. As long as his criticism is about Dwight's game, and it seems decently thought out and legitimate, then I don't have a problem with it.

Dwight doesn't have limited offensive ability

20+ points on 58% shooting

He's extremely effective, he just doesn't look as good as Bynum while doing it

I think we actually agree on this. Bringing up Dwight's limited offensive game is fine, but he is desperate to say any center in the NBA is better than him. That's what makes it sad. He's clearly head and shoulders above Bropez/Bynum even with his limited post skills and Shaq is willing to look like a clown in order to diss Dwight.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Dwight doesn't have limited offensive ability

20+ points on 58% shooting

He's extremely effective, he just doesn't look as good as Bynum while doing it
Shaq's point is that he could be getting closer to 30 if he played in a traditional style.

I think we actually agree on this. Bringing up Dwight's limited offensive game is fine, but he is desperate to say any center in the NBA is better than him. That's what makes it sad. He's clearly head and shoulders above Bropez/Bynum even with his limited post skills and Shaq is willing to look like a clown in order to diss Dwight.
We can agree to a certain extent on that, but this whole "he's old, so he shouldn't be talking" nonsense needs to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom