• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Dec |OT| The Nets are the Knicks of Basketball

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Man fuck that trade unless 1. Chandler is hurt more than the Knicks will admit, 2. The Lakers add that pick. If not let them be stuck with pau.

There's not even a decent FA this year to spend that money on.

MVP

Banned
Heat getting Jordan Crawford

h549XnV.gif

Truphenom

I miss you guys like you wouldn't believe. What's going on in the world of basketball?

The tri state area fucking sucks and still has a great chance at making the playoffs lol.

Kobe officially starting the tank, Blazers will be the best team without an all star, and the heat be sweatin.

I think that's more or less the gist of things.

Forever

Banned
The tri state area fucking sucks and still has a great chance at making the playoffs lol.

Kobe officially starting the tank, Blazers will be the best team without an all star, and the heat be sweatin.

I think that's more or less the gist of things.

No surprises then. Thanks bro.

Your team fucking sucks.

Pffft. Your team wishes it could be 8-15.

Mark my words, now that Lawrence "The Lannister" Frank can no longer sabotage the defense the Nets are due for a comeback.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The team with the easiest SOS so far this season...

Miami! .455 opponent winning percentage. Followed by the Celtics and then Cavaliers.

The team with the toughest SOS? Utah: .583. lol.

Miami! .455 opponent winning percentage. Followed by the Celtics and then Cavaliers.

Utah is bad, but probably not bad enough for a top 5 pick this year.

How does that come up in an Ali thread? Lol

When arguing Tyson would destroy Ali, one poster also argued if you put LeBron back into the 90s the league would be over because LeBron would dominate. Then you had a couple including MVP agree and try to school the older folks with the wisdom if why today's players are so much better.

but why tho?
Toronto is way better than quite a few other bball cities. Is it that much of a hassle to cross the border?

It's the cold temperature I imagine. Although, it doesn't seem to negatively effect New York's free agent alure for some reason. Toronto should be one of the hottest markets in the NBA really, it's mostly just guys being stupid about superficial things. The city is the same size of Chicago, making it the third or fourth biggest market in the NBA.

Edit: it's absolutely stupid that the NFL has yet to put a team in Toronto.

reilo

Well, the reason players don't wanna play in Toronto and "just cross the border" is because when they do "just cross the border", they end up in fucking Detroit.

I'm really surprised that Toronto still has their team. I just don't understand it. It's not as if the NBA needs a team in Canada in order to internationalize the game. Vancouver lost the Grizzlies and yet Toronto still has the Raptors. Send the team to Seattle.

Truphenom

It's the cold temperature I imagine. Although, it doesn't seem to negatively effect New York's free agent alure for some reason. Toronto should be one of the hottest markets in the NBA really, it's mostly just guys being stupid about superficial things. The city is the same size of Chicago, making it the third or fourth biggest market in the NBA.

Idk about the hoes in Canada but Ny has some wide ranging variety, the same can be said for LA. The cold isn't bothering them as much when you're warming up with Rhianna, Monica, or the regular groupie hoes.

Part is it is probably that it's Canada.

Dumb, I know.

Idk about the hoes in Canada but Ny has some wide ranging variety, the same can be said for LA. The cold isn't bothering them as much when you're warming up with Rhianna, Monica, or the regular groupie hoes.

Toronto is every bit as diverse as New York, but Ny is Ny really. No city in North America can compete numbers wise. Toronto can and should easily compete with Chicago and Houston as free agent ddestinations though.

Part is it is probably that it's Canada.

Dumb, I know.

Yeah, you're probably right on the money here. And it is dumb.

Truphenom

Toronto is every bit as diverse as New York, but Ny is Ny really. No city in North America can compete numbers wise. Toronto can and should easily compete with Chicago and DC as free agent destinations though.

Yeah, you're probably right on the money here. And it is dumb.

I agree with you, but asking young millionaires to think logically seems to be too much to ask. I think Canada is pretty cool but it just doesn't seem to hold that same effect on players right now. maybe once they get a superstar or something things can start to change.

reilo

I agree with you, but asking young millionaires to think logically seems to be too much to ask. I think Canada is pretty cool but it just doesn't seem to hold that same effect on players right now. maybe once they get a superstar or something things can start to change.

If Vince Carter couldn't get players to love the Raptors, noone can.

reilo

It's one of those falsehoods that has been perpetrated over the last couple of decades. Canadian taxes aren't much worse than US taxes. Their brackets are pretty similar to the US, and in fact, federal taxes are generally lower in Canada.

As far as state income taxes? In 2011, Ontario's (11%) was lower than New York's (12%) and higher than California's (10%).

Forever

Banned
Damn, this shit been posted yet? Isola always delivers the goods, 24/7, 7 days a week.

J.R. Smith’s self-imposed freeze-out during Friday’s loss to the Boston Celtics came one day after the guard and head coach Mike Woodson exchanged heated words following Wednesday’s win over the Chicago Bulls, the Daily News has learned.

According to a team source, Woodson admonished Smith for poor shot selection during the Bulls game and then became upset over something Smith said on the bench. Woodson waited until after the game to express his disappointment with Smith’s attitude and reminded the volatile shooting guard that he’s been his strongest advocate for the past two seasons.

“Mike said that after all I’ve done for you I can’t have you talking back to me like that,” the source claimed. The same source added that Smith made a lewd comment that angered Woodson.

During Thursday’s practice, Woodson used the game film from the win over the Bulls to demonstrate moments when Smith forced shots when he could have passed. Smith’s response to Woodson’s coaching lesson was to attempt one shot in 27 minutes against the Boston Celtics.

Saturday night, Smith scored two points, making just one shot on eight attempts in 24 minutes, and appeared to be benched in the fourth quarter of a 111-106 win over the Hawks at the Garden.

Two weeks ago, Woodson responded to Smith’s claim that it’s time to push the panic button by joking that he needed to punch Smith in the mouth. Behind the scenes, Woodson was not happy with Smith’s “panic button” comment, which may be the reason Smith conveniently repeated the line after Friday’s loss.

“My panic button has been on,” Smith said.

There is a feeling that Smith’s relationship with Woodson changed in October when the head coach admitted to reporters that Chris Smith’s chances of making the roster were enhanced by being J.R.’s younger brother.

Zep

Banned
It's one of those falsehoods that has been perpetrated over the last couple of decades. Canadian taxes aren't much worse than US taxes. Their brackets are pretty similar to the US, and in fact, federal taxes are generally lower in Canada.

As far as state income taxes? In 2011, Ontario's (11%) was lower than New York's (12%) and higher than California's (10%).

http://www.businessinsider.com/shaq-professes-his-love-for-toronto-2010-11
Shaquille O'Neal had this to say on U.S.-born players not wanting to play in the one NBA city north of the border, in an interview with AskMen.com:

"It’s not that. It’s the double taxes that deter players from going there. Also Bosh obviously couldn’t handle the pressure, so he had to go join two other people to help him out. Listen to what I tell you Toronto is in the top three NBA cities for every NBA player. Trust me on that, brother."

giri

JR Smith is a shithead and the Knicks gave him a lucrative contract, news at 11.

Yeah, that bullshit. "Double the taxes", they think.

They would pay a second lot of taxes thought if they finished playing in toronto and went to move all their money back to the USA.

Or even their direct salary usually.

reilo

If you're a US citizen, you're getting taxed by both countries. Think that's where hes coming from. Unless you're saying thats bullshit.

Actually, I don't know about that part. Is it that Canada taxes you on the money earned in the US on top of the US taxing you on that income? Because if that's the case, then that sucks hard.

I know that athletes are taxed based on a per-game basis and they get taxed relative to the state they played in, but I have no idea if Canada also asks for a chunk of that and vice-versa.

But as a straight 1:1 taxcode comparison, Canada is pretty damn similar to the US.

Truphenom

Mitch will convince Dolan that Nash together with Amare again will be a return to the PHX days!. Dolan can't pass up going for a title with those 2!.

Shump and Amare for Gasol and a 1st. You need guards and Amare plays his best game under the Antonio system. You to pretend you're still contending, get a young guard with something to prove, and we can ruin the rest of Pau's motivation to live.

oh yeah jr's brother lulz

pretty hilarious how some people tried to argue that jason collins can't play anymore yet you have chris smith getting a roster spot

Jazz SOS will naturally be the toughest on account of them being the jazz

giri

Aw c'mon, give the Knicks a break. He shot well in his contract season, which means the rest of his career didn't happen. Anybody could have made the same mistake.

Eh it's obviously more complex.

The knicks were sort of fucked because of their cap situation. If they didn't re-sign JR, they couldn't sign anyone.

JR's brother on the other hand i would have told him to fuck off.

Top Bottom