• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Dec |OT| The Nets are the Knicks of Basketball

giri

Also, and i know this topic has been getting a lot of run lately.

But if the NBA is going to insist on conferences for play off spots, then they should for top pick spots too. i.e. only the 2 worst teams out east, and the 2 out west, have a chance at a top 4 pick.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Scary for Hibberts Knee's.

Also, hibberts tweet's were fine. Guy didn't go overboard at all. wtf ppl on aboot.

I thought they were funny. Although his Finals prediction was the icing.

Cipherr

Paul George went off at the end of the game, but I'm not nearly as impressed by it as everyone else it seems. Was fun to watch though.

Meanwhile:

Z34x3cb.png

NBApls....

The East is horrible this season. They have been top heavy for a while, but it was exaggerated in the past (no matter what anyone says). But this season, this shits horrible. It doesn't even appear as if its going to get any better either. Its pure fuckery through and through. Bench Lebron, Wade, Bosh, George, Hibbert and West and just bring everyone back from vacation in May.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Also, and i know this topic has been getting a lot of run lately.

But if the NBA is going to insist on conferences for play off spots, then they should for top pick spots too. i.e. only the 2 worst teams out east, and the 2 out west, have a chance at a top 4 pick.

I don't like the tanking as it is.. imagine if you were promised a top 4 pick for losing..

linsivvi

NBApls....

The East is horrible this season. They have been top heavy for a while, but it was exaggerated in the past (no matter what anyone says). But this season, this shits horrible. It doesn't even appear as if its going to get any better either. Its pure fuckery through and through. Bench Lebron, Wade, Bosh, George, Hibbert and West and just bring everyone back from vacation in May.

Stern brought this upon himself.

I said it back when he rejected the CP3 trade. It set a terrible precedent. It was a message saying that the league endorses tanking, that it's not good to be merely mediocre and competitive, that it's ok tank for a while for picks. It makes sense for owners or fans to want it for their teams, but when the league is part of it, that becomes an officially sanctioned strategy.

And lo and behold, they landed quite possibly the best big man in a generation.

Blackace

Stern brought this upon himself.

I said it back when he rejected the CP3 trade. It set a terrible precedent. It was a message saying that the league endorses tanking, that it's not good to be merely mediocre and competitive, that it's ok tank for a while for picks. It makes sense for owners or fans to want it for their teams, but when the league is part of it, that becomes an officially sanctioned strategy.

And lo and behold, they landed quite possibly the best big man in a generation.

not following the logic.. not at all.

Tanking has been part of the game for generations.. The biggest tank in history must belong to the Spurs in my opinion when they shut down D-Ro to tank for TD..

linsivvi

not following the logic.. not at all.

Tanking has been part of the game for generations.. The biggest tank in history must belong to the Spurs in my opinion when they shut down D-Ro to tank for TD..

Tanking is part of the game, but my problem is with the league getting openly involved. If Stern wanted the team to only trade for picks, he should've sent that mandate to his GM privately and not openly reject a trade after it happened. By then it was too late, he screwed up. Now if the league wants to do something about tanking (not that they would), all a team needs to do is to point to the Pelicans.

Blackace

Tanking is part of the game, but my problem is with the league getting openly involved. If Stern wanted the team to only trade for picks, he should've sent that mandate to his GM privately and not openly reject a trade after it happened. By then it was too late, he screwed up. Now if the league wants to do something about tanking (not that they would), all a team needs to do is to point to the Pelicans.

Yeah like the league listens to anyone complaining..

You think the league gives a fuck about anyone? lol

Owners get out of pocket and they will force them out and find someone who will play ball..

Stern changed rules on a whim.. bring the 3 pt line in.. bring it back out.. new balls! fuck asking for opinions..

Now the son of the man who gave him his first job will be stepping in.. so I don't think it will get any better

giri

I don't like the tanking as it is.. imagine if you were promised a top 4 pick for losing..

Huh?

It basically guarantee's that already.

Currently there is no way the worst overall record could be worse than 4th, the 2nd worst record no worse than 5th etc.

You say it would increase tanking, but if only 2 teams from each conference had a chance at being in the top 4 i think it would discourage it more than encourage.

Blackace

Huh?

It basically guarantee's that already.

Currently there is no way the worst overall record could be worse than 4th, the 2nd worst record no worse than 5th etc.

You say it would increase tanking, but if only 2 teams from each conference had a chance at being in the top 4 i think it would discourage it more than encourage.

but there is a chance that even if you suck, but try you might get a top 3.. look at Portland..

i never really understood how kobe and cp3 would have coexisted

tanking makes nba look like a joke but it can't really be helped when one player can impact a team a lot more than football or baseball

giri

but there is a chance that even if you suck, but try you might get a top 3.. look at Portland..

I worded that horribly.

The current encouragement to not tank is having a ever decreasing chance of winning a top 3 pick if you have a better record, but still a chance. I never really liked that, because i always thought it should be going to the worst teams regardless.

But it's not working. Look at the east. People don't want too have A chance, they want THE best chance. If you had no chance, cause someone only has 5 wins, then there's no super encouragement to go for that number 1 pick. You'd only be increasing your position 4 - 14

linsivvi

Yeah like the league listens to anyone complaining..

You think the league gives a fuck about anyone? lol

Owners get out of pocket and they will force them out and find someone who will play ball..

Stern changed rules on a whim.. bring the 3 pt line in.. bring it back out.. new balls! fuck asking for opinions..

Now the son of the man who gave him his first job will be stepping in.. so I don't think it will get any better

Well they don't listen to anyone, sure. I just don't think it's right the league itself should be part of the tanking strategy, and they certainly contributed to the situation getting out of control.

The '03 draft was just as deep if not more than the upcoming draft. Back then there were only a handful of teams tanking from the get go. Most teams were still trying to get to the playoffs. In fact, all 16 playoff teams had a winning record that year.

i never really understood how kobe and cp3 would have coexisted

tanking makes nba look like a joke but it can't really be helped when one player can impact a team a lot more than football or baseball

I wasn't too upset with the vetoes itself aside from the terrible precedent it set. I remember I was skeptical that CP3 would remain healthy, but he did and is still playing at a high level. I guess we'll never know how they would have coexisted.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

BafrmyjCQAA9VPr.jpg

The Wizards have 6 good players right now, its that bench that is absolutely murdering them because its just flat out terrible.

They should just go for it this year. This is probably the best chance they'll ever have at making some noise.

BafrmyjCQAA9VPr.jpg

The Wizards have 6 good players right now, its that bench that is absolutely murdering them because its just flat out terrible.

stunning numbers ;_;

Porter should help things a ton though, he's supposedly lacing em up Friday for us.

If Mustafa Shakur still around? We need PG depth.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Reilo is sporting the biggest boner right now with the way the Blazers took that game yesterday.

Remember these feels bro, next year your team may end up with the worst record in the NBA coming off a hot season.

:(

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Ee6K8Gc.jpg

That was so awesome. It's one thing to block Jodie Meeks straight up like that...

Vahagn

It's obvious that the lottery is rigged as to what will make the best story line or which owner gives Stern the best backroom deal.

Wizard's owner dies, his wife gets #1 pick next year .
Hornets finally find a buyer, they get #1 pick
Lebron James enters draft, his hometown team gets #1 pick
Ditto for Derrick Rose
Cleveland loses Lebron, Dan Gilbert goes on a backroom hissy fit, his team gets #1 pick.

I will never believe the lottery isn't rigged until those bouncing balls are brought out. The fact that people haven't demanded this so far is insane. No one would buy a $ Lottery not being televised live with the balls in plain view.

Melo goes back to Denver after the Nuggets draft Wiggins, claiming he misses home

Dolan hires Isaiah who offers Kemba the max

embrace reality

Reilo is sporting the biggest boner right now with the way the Blazers took that game yesterday.

Remember these feels bro, next year your team may end up with the worst record in the NBA coming off a hot season.

:(
AlphaSnake y u do dis :(
Can't wait to fire Woodson, have interrim HC Herb Williams again, and then watch as our #1 pick goes to the Nuggets.

YAS
Don't worry, the report I leaked is getting play in the NY media:

Marc Berman @NYPost_Berman about 1 hour ago
Clock ticking on Dolan's vote of confidence to Woodson 2 weeks ago. Source sez Dolan would consider Jeff VG candidate nyp.st/1huBrpd

If you want to avoid blatant tanking why not just give all non-playoff teams an equal chance at the top pick. Winning 10 games won't gain you any more of an advantage than winning 35.

The gods awful Cavs have 3 number 1 picks in the last 10 years. Stop rewarding incompetence like that and you won't have teams tanking and ruining the entertainment value of the sport.

Tom Penny

It's obvious that the lottery is rigged as to what will make the best story line or which owner gives Stern the best backroom deal.

Wizard's owner dies, his wife gets #1 pick next year .
Hornets finally find a buyer, they get #1 pick
Lebron James enters draft, his hometown team gets #1 pick
Ditto for Derrick Rose
Cleveland loses Lebron, Dan Gilbert goes on a backroom hissy fit, his team gets #1 pick.

I will never believe the lottery isn't rigged until those bouncing balls are brought out. The fact that people haven't demanded this so far is insane. No one would buy a $ Lottery not being televised live with the balls in plain view.

So Sterns master plan was to have Tim Duncan go to the Spurs instead of the Celtics :(

Top Bottom