• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Dec |OT| The Nets are the Knicks of Basketball

The Knicks won't trade for Lowry because they weren't smart enough to take him before when it was two of Shump/THJR/draft pick.

Now that Prigioni and Felton are both injured while Lowry has been killing it the last few games, Masai is going to ask for all of those things minimum.

Emwitus

The Knicks won't trade for Lowry because they weren't smart enough to take him before when it was two of Shump/THJR/draft pick.

Now that Prigioni and Felton are both injured while Lowry has been killing it the last few games, Masai is going to ask for all of those things minimum.

At this point i think the knicks should just do a fire sale. This team isn't going anywhere without a major reshuffle. Trade every tradable contract apart from melo and surround melo with younger mid level talent and a better coach in the summer.

At this point i think the knicks should just do a fire sale. This team isn't going anywhere without a major reshuffle. Trade every tradable contract apart from melo and surround melo with younger mid level talent and a better coach in the summer.

Building for the future is something the Knicks just won't do. Win now or win never.

giri

I do. They don't enforce it much though from the articles I've read. Either way, that's not my primary issue anyway. My issue is the cap. If the cap is removed, then you would need to enforce a better floor and shared revenue system.

Huh? there's been a spate of one year contracts handed out to players for this exact reason.

The best thing the NBA could do for the draft is to encourage top high school prospects to play in Europe so I don't have to watch college basketball, the players can paid, and the players can focus on actually learning how to play basketball. That matters a lot more than if the 76ers don't want to continue the JRue Holiday era.

Playing in Europe instead of college sure helped Brandon Jennings!

yea like if lowry is worth that much.

yea like if lowry is worth that much.

Oh, he's not worth that much at all. But the market is a seller's market. If you're tanking with draft picks, you're in the catbird seat since you can charge anything to teams that have to be buyers (read: anyone who can't tank because of lack of picks, or teams that actually have the pieces/the chance to win like the Spurs/OKC/Heat/Pacers).

Most of the mid-tier teams that might normally take on players/contracts like that are already fine with their personnel (like PHX, or MIN, or SAC or ATL).

If you want to reduce tanking, what you really need to do is reward teams for winning games monetarily.

That's the reward for an 8 seed making the playoffs. They're guaranteed 2 home games in the playoffs, with a potential for a 3rd (and a highly unlikely chance for a couple more).

Each playoff home game can bring in $1 million of straight profit for an organization (per mark cuban IIRC).

So to prevent taking, change the revenue sharing rules to also include team record. If a team has the worst record in the league, they get nothing. Make playoff teams all the same bonus. Make a big difference from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5. 10-14 can be the same or close to it.

Also, Darkside is lolz.

edit: To clarify, I don't mean all of revenue sharing. Only a portion of it.

Lowry is worth much more than Knicks garbage and a draft pick 5 years in the future

Not for 6 to 8 million. Not when he's a UFA this summer. He's not worth a rental for half a season. Not to trade away another draft pick (unless it could be lottery protected, in which case I'd do it...but you know Ujiri won't). He's definitely better than every PG on the roster in their current form though.

So it's win never.

Now you're getting it.

Edit: Honestly, the Raptors probably have more to gain from dumping Lowry and tanking than they do from whatever the Knicks could offer them, so what they get from the Knicks is mostly negligible as long as the numbers match and they're not taking on any long-term contracts. If Kobe weren't hurt, I think they could have traded him to the Lakers, but I think that ship has sailed. The only other contending team that could really benefit from a PG right now that I can think of is the Rockets and I think whatever they could give the Raptors would make the Raptors too good to tank.

i really like the long sleeves
sm10Vva.gif

thekad

Banned
Not for 6 to 8 million. Not when he's a UFA this summer. He's not worth a rental for half a season. Not to trade away another draft pick (unless it could be lottery protected, in which case I'd do it...but you know Ujiri won't). He's definitely better than every PG on the roster in their current form though.
Well since the Knicks have no cap room and only the taxpayer's MLE and are starting Felton at PG, having Lowry's bird rights is pretty significant. Shumpert and THJr are not really assets at this point.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The hip gyration sells it. Stephenson let Courtney Lee know he got molested.

Also, how excited is everyone that the Lakers, Nets and Knicks play on Christmas?

reilo

Are we counting the Nets and Knicks as one clusterfuck now?

I originally just said Nets and Knicks, but then realized that Lakers play, too, but forgot to edit out the 'both'.

But in short? Yes, yes we are.

reilo

Honestly, i think we are at a point where you can arguably say Lebron might end up us the best player ever. Sorry guys.

Motherfucker you don't pull this shit -- not before the holidays. What's wrong with you?

reilo

The moment Jesus Shuttlesworth checks into a game this season, Lebron won't even be the best player on his own team.

Top Bottom